Cross Ange

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Cross Ange

Got shown this by a friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw1sJFpK2mo

I love how much has been lifted from SEED and Destiny. The town looks like a cross of Heliopolis, Orb and PLANT, the main mecha has a Freedom design with many of the same animation cues (breaking and venting the wings, barrelling around enemy fire, lazily holding up the gun arm to take shots) and even Destiny's palm firing appears.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LightningCount

Re: Cross Ange- New Sunrise x Fukuda mecha show

I had heard the name was registered, but this is the first time I've seen the visuals. Wow, this is a strange mash-up. Like you said, there's a lot of Cosmic Era design and cinema cues; but I also somehow get that off-beat scifi/robot/action show vibe from the late 80s through the mid 90s. It's somewhat intriguing from a conceptual standpoint; though, I'm not sure it's my type, and I'm not particularly hyped. (It looks like it has some good coloring/shading. The way the mecha opens and closes, and the hint of various firearms combat situations is neat. This also sort of confirms that mecha shows are going CG in the long-term.) But anyway, I'm surprised that Sunrise is putting out so many different mecha shows lately. Is Gundam losing its cachet for them again?

As an aside, the girl's driver early on has a uniform that reminds me a bit of a certain older character's outfit during the Estard Arc of Gundam X.
Spoiler
(General Lee Jackson)
Last edited by LightningCount on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
wielder

Fukuda himself is working on Cross Ange. He has the always rather nebulous title of "Creative Producer" for the show, so I imagine he's already given his blessing to all that transparent SEED influence, to say the least.

As for the series itself...right now, I'm largely disinterested and won't rush to watch it. But if it somehow turns out to be an unexpectedly good combination of Symphogear and Simoun or something along those general lines, I'll pick it up later on. Otherwise...nope.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Dark Duel

Meh. On the one hand, Mitsuo Fukuda's involvement is a near-instant "do-not-bother-watching" trigger for me.
On the other, at least judging from the trailer, it looks like it could be interesting. Plus, it has the added bonus, at least in my view, of NOT involving Hisashi "I-can-only-draw-two-different-faces" Hirai.
(As much as I adore Fafner, I can't stand Hisashi Hirai's designs in general because they always look the same from one character to the next within the same show, nvm from one show to the next :P )

We'll chalk this thing up to a "maybe".
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
balofo

You could probably offer an overpriced comb for bald people to Sunrise executives and they'd still buy it...
Raikoh

Mechanical design looks pretty unique (and still visually appealing), and based on the trailer the series looks like it'll be applying Rule of Cool liberally. And, hey, female protagonists. In our "post-light novel" world of anime, that's a sign that the protagonists will have a chance to be actual characters instead of just blank slates for the audience to project onto!

It looks sort of like a spiritual successor to Godannar to me. And, hey, I liked Godannar so that's all good.

I'll probably give it a shot.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
zetatype

Hmm despite the obvious SEED features in the mechs the designs still have unique appeal to them.

Not too crazy about the blatant fan-service aspect of this show, but I do love the Mech vs Dragon angle the trailer seems to be pushing. I'll definitely be sure to keep an eye on this one.

I must say though, I'm surprised that Sunrise is pushing out another mecha show for the fall season. Sunrise really seems to be trying to corner the mecha market this fall.
Chris
Administrator

Dark Duel wrote:Meh. On the one hand, Mitsuo Fukuda's involvement is a near-instant "do-not-bother-watching" trigger for me.
For all the deserved scorn he receives over DESTINY, it shouldn't be forgotten that he did a great job with Cyber Formula and Dendoh earlier in his career.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
YokozunaBulldozer

Chris wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:Meh. On the one hand, Mitsuo Fukuda's involvement is a near-instant "do-not-bother-watching" trigger for me.
For all the deserved scorn he receives over DESTINY, it shouldn't be forgotten that he did a great job with Cyber Formula and Dendoh earlier in his career.
Yep.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
HellCat

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ite/.77273

I'm sure (or hope) it'll be explained better in story, but that's some odd racism going on there.
Raikoh

I wouldn't call it "odd" racism. If the entire society revolves around magic, of course people who can't use it are going to be ostracized. It'd be like someone in modern society being literally unable to use electricity in any way, shape, or form (for whatever reason).
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Outlaw

Akiko Shikata. My only thought after watching the trailer once.

I'm not really into the Japanese music scene but having played Ar Tonelico, and being charmed by its music, I was immediately able to pick up on her unique musical style. Guess that means I'll by looking into the OST at least.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
HellCat

Raikoh wrote:I wouldn't call it "odd" racism. If the entire society revolves around magic, of course people who can't use it are going to be ostracized. It'd be like someone in modern society being literally unable to use electricity in any way, shape, or form (for whatever reason).
The info basically says mankind's science has reached the stage where it's comparable to magic.

While I can see why someone who couldn't wield it would face difficulty becoming sovereign, the info suggests she's disgraced and bundled off to an island of similar outcasts over it.

Imagine if we did that with certain segments of society today...
Wellman

Wow, my first thoughts are those are some impractical flight suits. Reading the description of the manga it sounds somewhat interesting. Will give it a shot, as I am always fiending for some new mecha anime.
matinaron

This looks pretty interesting. I really liked Code Geass and I liked Valvrave as well, so this should be decent as well. 
You live by the gun and knuckle knives, and die by the gun and knuckle knives.
Zeonista

It could be good, and it's been a decade so I can give Fukuda another chance. I will give it a look this autumn. I have a bunch of shows planned already, but there's always room for one more. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I'll just copy+paste what I said on Animesuki:

A nice story premise, and I could learn to get over serious Freedom/Strike Freedom imitation. (though Fukuda..............)

But an all-female pilot cast?

I have nothing against female pilots. Just the opposite, actually. But when they keep making all-female pilot shows like this, it's like the anime world keeps throwing up a sign that says "the action/mecha world isn't for women so we make these seperate series for the girls."

When are we going to get another Haman Kahn or Kallen Kouzuki, women who don't need segregated series-es to be cool pilots? >.>
Zeonista

Te all-female pilot team has been done before, although nothing since the Nineties.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Raikoh

I sort of get the idea of the all-female thing. It doesn't have anything to do with segregation, it's just that pretty girls sell more moichandise than anything else currently in Japan. I think it's less to do with the idea that women are gentle flowers that can't fight alongside the "big boys" but more that more waifubait is a better business decision.

However, also keep in mind that Japan isn't really as... "Progressive" when it comes to gender issues as the states. Heck, it isn't as progressive when it comes to nearly any social issues. But that doesn't mean they aren't earnestly trying to be an equal-rights society. Competent female mecha pilots are all over the place if you know where to look, and while it's true that in many cases they're side characters, very often they are shown as equals. In some cases, they're portrayed as being among the best pilots in their franchise.

That said, I can definitely say it would be nice to have something that breaks the mold. "Good business decisions" are what got anime into its current state... Which I consider to be in a pretty bad condition.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Zeonista

Raikoh wrote:I sort of get the idea of the all-female thing. It doesn't have anything to do with segregation, it's just that pretty girls sell more moichandise than anything else currently in Japan.
"Moichandizing, moichandizing!" That neatly sums up the creative process right there.
But that doesn't mean they aren't earnestly trying to be an equal-rights society. Competent female mecha pilots are all over the place if you know where to look, and while it's true that in many cases they're side characters, very often they are shown as equals.
It should be noted that the anime and console/PC gaming industries as a whole have completely shown up Hollywood in the gender-equality ass-kicking department. Sure there's some tokenism, but as a rule if there is going to be a lady in a mecha cockpit, that lady will be capable of operating it and look twice as good as the men while doing it. 8)