Cross Ange

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Lord Dearche » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:50 am

So the most recent episode...Was quite literally Tusk and Embryo flying around each other in circles using stock animations for 5 minutes, while not landing a single hit on each other despite being at point blank range.

And the entire conversation was esentially, "Hey Embryo! I ****ed you waifu! In her deepest parts! Both of them!"

teslashark
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by teslashark » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:57 pm

That's exactly why I said it's bold but not good.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com

User avatar
SonicSP
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Re: Cross Ange

Post by SonicSP » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Personally I've been enjoying the show quite a bit, probably one of my favorites in awhile. The cast just have a certain charm to it that I like.

Except maybe that ridiculous reviving stunt they pull in episode 22 and a few other unnecessary inconsistencies presented in the final arc. Other than that, I like the writing for the most part though I feel the show is the strongest when the entire Arzenal cast is involved somehow, even if they're on opposite sides (which was may be why I thought the original Earth arc was maybe one or two episodes longer than it needed to be).

On an unrelated note, one strange thing about Cross Ange is that it made me like small airborn mecha again. I usually tend to like my small mechs to be grounded or at least have limited flight capacity (pretty much Code Geass S1) but after Cross Ange I've comes to accept a paradigm where it can be used again in a way that I can enjoy.

teslashark
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by teslashark » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:29 pm

The last episode went just like a comlpilation: there's good people dying, nudity, TUSK BUMP, hand to hand fighting and happiness floating in the air.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com

User avatar
Destiny_Gundam
Posts: 5102
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Canada, eh.
Contact:

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:22 am

A very satisfying ending to a show that's far better than a lot of people give it credit for.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."

User avatar
Iris Scope
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:43 pm

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Iris Scope » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:33 am

Did anyone notice which seiyuu had the honor of blessing us with her talented voice as Aura?! Kudos to Fukuda for using his Gundam Seed connections in securing Kotono Mitsuishi. :D

Seeing Sylvia dressed like Ange in the post apocalyptic other world with the nihil attitude to boot was cute and karmic justice at the same time.

As much as I begged the writers not to kill off Alektra, it did serve as a catalyst for Salia to definitively return to the good side so i'm thankful for that. I did note that I didn't see a grave for her in the closing credits while Marika did get the treatment Rosalie and Chris promised.

Overall, a series that almost didn't need to be considered a mecha show since the human characters and their tribulations carried it through which made for entertaining memories that i'll forever keep in my memories.

iguanaman8989
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Cross Ange

Post by iguanaman8989 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Favorite part of the episode for me:
Hilda's reactions in the background to Tusk's face ending up in Ange's crotch. Again.

User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by BrentD15 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:43 pm

A surprisingly entertaining ending to a rather lackluster, shameless, exploitative anime.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

teslashark
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by teslashark » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:32 pm

There are three things never failing us: Toilet humor, KETCHUP, and squiggly line art.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com

User avatar
Ryujin
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:43 am
Contact:

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Ryujin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 pm

I found the concluding episode to be on the safe, predictable side, although the various interactions were really entertaining, such as:

-- Embryo finally using Strip-o-vision(tm).
-- pulling out guns in a swordfight.
-- background reaction Hilda.
-- post-apocalypse Sylvia.

I was expecting all the mail pilots to start singing for added power-up, but alas, it was not to be.

A happy ending to an entertaining show overall (unless you were some anonymous mana-user). I'd've liked an epilogue for whatever happened to Misty, though.

User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by BrentD15 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:21 am

Ryujin wrote:I found the concluding episode to be on the safe, predictable side, although the various interactions were really entertaining, such as:

-- Embryo finally using Strip-o-vision(tm).
-- pulling out guns in a swordfight.
-- background reaction Hilda.
-- post-apocalypse Sylvia.

I was expecting all the mail pilots to start singing for added power-up, but alas, it was not to be.

A happy ending to an entertaining show overall (unless you were some anonymous mana-user). I'd've liked an epilogue for whatever happened to Misty, though.
Don't forget Vivian's dad being a huge D.R.A.G.O.N.. :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

User avatar
Soma Taozi
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Soma Taozi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 pm

What a nice ending to a fun, yet trashy, show.

I am going to miss it. Cross Ange was not afraid to be exactly what it was! And I appreciate that in the same way I appreciate Fairy Tail for being so unapologetic in that it is a shonun show. If you know exactly what you are, own it, don't be afraid to be something you are not!

Take what you are, warts and all, and run with it. It wasn't overly simplistic like Try and it wasn't as unnecessarily complicated like G-Reco. It didn't try to be something that it wasn't and the journey Ange went on was an adventure in itself! And that is why I will remember this show fondly and why this show was my personal favorite out of the 3 Sunrise shows that premiered back in fall.

Goodbye Ange and I hope you love your cafe!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020

User avatar
Compass
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Compass » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:02 pm

BrentD15 wrote:
Ryujin wrote:I found the concluding episode to be on the safe, predictable side, although the various interactions were really entertaining, such as:

-- Embryo finally using Strip-o-vision(tm).
-- pulling out guns in a swordfight.
-- background reaction Hilda.
-- post-apocalypse Sylvia.

I was expecting all the mail pilots to start singing for added power-up, but alas, it was not to be.

A happy ending to an entertaining show overall (unless you were some anonymous mana-user). I'd've liked an epilogue for whatever happened to Misty, though.
Don't forget Vivian's dad being a huge D.R.A.G.O.N.. :lol:
With 8 eyes. EIGHT EYES.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex

doghunter1
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by doghunter1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:34 am

Given the fact Fukuda knows English (as seen with the apology letter Momoka wrote in episode 7), would he have read Daniel Keyes' Flowers for Algernon? Why, these:

1. Hilda's backstory (Getting stepped over by her younger sister, much like Algernon's protagonist, with the only difference is that Hilda's mother didn't treat her first daughter like dirt until she showed her face in Enderant).

2. The term "Norma," which is the name of the younger sister of Algernon's protagonist.

teslashark
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by teslashark » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:31 am

doghunter1 wrote:Given the fact Fukuda knows English (as seen with the apology letter Momoka wrote in episode 7), would he have read Daniel Keyes' Flowers for Algernon? Why, these:

1. Hilda's backstory (Getting stepped over by her younger sister, much like Algernon's protagonist, with the only difference is that Hilda's mother didn't treat her first daughter like dirt until she showed her face in Enderant).

2. The term "Norma," which is the name of the younger sister of Algernon's protagonist.
Wouldn't be beyond him. Human artificial enhancement is indeed his favorite source of conflict.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com

User avatar
SonicSP
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Re: Cross Ange

Post by SonicSP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 am

Wrote this a few weeks ago but forgot to post it:

Wow, someone actually died and it's long running named character too. Good job Cross Ange, I didn't know you had it in you after that stunt the other day. I didn't make myself celebrate it until the episode is truly over. I didn't really hate Alektra in her final state, but it's good to see some character loss in the show. I also thought Momoka would be better off being left dead as a martyr, since I didn't feel like she contributed anything with her screen time after she was "revived". Tusk at least has that role as Ange's forever ever after, plot-wise.

Things went a bit too smoothly on the final episode but I guess that's to be expected since all the "struggling" was done in the previous episodes. I'm surprised they had time to put a short but decent origin elaboration story for Embryo in here. The episode didn't feel rushed but it sure felt compressed.

Like I said around 6 months ago on this thread, I usually don't like heavy fan service shows mixed in with serious plots. There are anime that I know I would have watched if it weren't for the fact that heavy fanservice since it is a turn off sometimes. I thought Cross Ange pulled it off well (not perfectly but pretty good for the most part). I said then that I saw potential in it but to see it pull it off was something else entirely. The quality of the writing I have to say, really surprised me as well minus some bumps *looks at Tusk/Momoka* here and there.

I do wish the pilot suits were less revealing though. I know it fits the fanservice genre and tone of the show, but I just don't think they look nice. Embryo's Angels' suits looks way way better in my opinion.

Final fight happened well enough. Tusk got his usual one on one ground combat action while the riders got to face off against that machine. I'm personally glad that I got to see Salia, Hilda and Ange fight together on the same side again. It's been awhile since we saw that happened and now all their anonymity towards each other was gone, there's a nice sense of completeness and finality after all the relationship issues that plagued them at various parts of the show. While it's expected, Salia's return to the light side was also very satisfying for me personally and I'm glad we got a scene with her and Alektra making up before she passed.

If there's one thing I didn't like about the ending/final episode is that I thought there needed to be a longer epilogue. They did a good job considering the time remaining on the and a lot of those single pictures done in the credits do a great job but a longer one with a monologue would be nice. I think less time spent on that Tusk/Momoka were dead and alive thing would be better spent towards this since the end result was pretty much the same anyways.

Ange isn't my favorite character of the show (I like both Hilda and Salia more despite them being less developed) but she's been a joy to watch for the most part. Maybe not for the first few episodes, where she was super annoying but she was nice to follow and I like the various phases she was put through in the story.

From a world perspective, everything seems to be fine. The old mana Homonculus society is destroyed but they have a chance to rebuild. I thought Sylvia was used well in this regard as a symbol of hope presentation wise, and I didn't think they were gonna use her for anything good with the way she wielded that whip for most of the series. The Norma are free to make their own fate, but I'm not entirely sure how that's going to work out since they're mostly female for now. Still at the very least I think they'll make themselves and whoever joins them very comfortable given the restrictions they had previously. It's not easy but that's independence for you, it rarely is at the beginning.

Also, Tusk looks like a girl in that Cafe Ange picture. I almost didn't recognize him. The waiter outfit doesn't help.

That shot of Vivian's reunion with her dad - and everybody else's reaction, was super awesome.
Soma Taozi wrote:What a nice ending to a fun, yet trashy, show.

I am going to miss it. Cross Ange was not afraid to be exactly what it was! And I appreciate that in the same way I appreciate Fairy Tail for being so unapologetic in that it is a shonun show. If you know exactly what you are, own it, don't be afraid to be something you are not!

Take what you are, warts and all, and run with it. It wasn't overly simplistic like Try and it wasn't as unnecessarily complicated like G-Reco. It didn't try to be something that it wasn't and the journey Ange went on was an adventure in itself! And that is why I will remember this show fondly and why this show was my personal favorite out of the 3 Sunrise shows that premiered back in fall.
Yea I'm missing it as well, I didn't expect much from this show to be honest. I took an interest in it initially but I never expected to be so engrossed with it as I did and care for it as much as I did. If Hellcat never made this thread and placed the word "Sunrise" and "Mecha", I probably would have missed it. I'm usually more of a "find a series later" kind of guy.

G-Reco was the show I was looking forward to and that one totally bombed on me.

User avatar
Raikoh
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Raikoh » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

I heard that Jill's death was at the request of her voice actress, since it was an appropriate close to her character arc. I'd say that was a good call.

Is it weird that I want a spinoff about Sylvia in the messed-up world? Preferably with whipping and more bitchiness?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE

Henyo
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 am
Location: Hidden Tramo Village

Re: Cross Ange

Post by Henyo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:42 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ore/.87644

i'm kind of skeptical on a second season. i mean, what's left for Ange to fight? she's in world that she likes. with the man(woman, but this one is debatable.) she loves.

have you guys seen the official image where Ange is wearing a suit(and with Hilda all over her.) and Tusk a dress? it must be seen to be believed! :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!

User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Re: Cross Ange

Post by BrentD15 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:02 am

Henyo wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ore/.87644

i'm kind of skeptical on a second season. i mean, what's left for Ange to fight? she's in world that she likes. with the man(woman, but this one is debatable.) she loves.

have you guys seen the official image where Ange is wearing a suit(and with Hilda all over her.) and Tusk a dress? it must be seen to be believed! :twisted:
Whelp, this is gonna suck...
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

User avatar
SonicSP
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Re: Cross Ange

Post by SonicSP » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:28 am

Henyo wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ore/.87644

i'm kind of skeptical on a second season. i mean, what's left for Ange to fight? she's in world that she likes. with the man(woman, but this one is debatable.) she loves.

have you guys seen the official image where Ange is wearing a suit(and with Hilda all over her.) and Tusk a dress? it must be seen to be believed! :twisted:
It wouldn't really be hard to come up with something to fight if they really wanted to. Tusk and Ange can always run into relationship problems with Hilda waiting for a chance for Tusk to fumble so she can steal Ange (probably with hilarious results). The show doesn't really NEED a second season and things can end right now just fine but I can see them expanding the story too if they wanted too. She wasn't a big character, but Sylvia's stuck in her world doing new things too, so there are stuff and interactions they can expand on.

Considering how much I enjoyed the show, I would really enjoy a second season.

Post Reply