Cross Ange

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Cross Ange- New Sunrise x Fukuda mecha show

doghunter1 wrote: You just spoke my mind. Aside from that, there are these references to Ideon:

1. Ange getting whipped and humiliated in episode 10 by Sylvia being a reference to Ideon episode 12, wherein Harulu had Guhaba strip Karala and made every subordinate of hers laugh at Karala.

2. Ange and Hilda in the brig being a reference to Ideon episodes 16-17, wherein Bes had Cosmo and Kasha imprisoned for disobedience.
oooh! this just adds more fuel to my little theory: several peeps in japan want Ideon to return.
(will Tomino go through with his word of remaking it?)
it started with Space Dandy.(A.L.E!) then with Shirobako and Cross Ange. Idepon for the former and the Vilkiss' special attack for the latter.

i forgot to mention this:Ange's 4th wall breaking in the previous episode came true.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Ryujin

Well, looks like
Spoiler
the D.R.A.G.O.N.'s out of the bag. Vivian wakes up as one, causes Emma to faint, spoils the curry and changes back after Ange sings to her. Before that, half the episode's exposition time with Jill & Ange, Embryo shows up and Salia squad learns that Soylent Green is people even as Jasmine burns all the corpses she dumped in a hole with a bulldozer. Also, Julio heads up the Misurugi Navy as it sails for Arzenal and Chris turns back into a pumpkin now that Hilda's temporary squad leader (Salia's enjoying her no-bath private accomodations as a reward for insubordination).
Anyways, it's also finally shown in the show that it's spelled NOMA, presumably because No Mana.
iguanaman8989

To tell the truth.
Spoiler
even though it's quite a cliche that all of the monsters are human, I was caught off guard here and surprised. Which is a nice change, since most of the time these twists are rather blatent from the beginning.
Iris Scope

To be honest, I thought this was gonna be the episode Vivian dies in considering the attention she got in last week's preview. Good to see that Ange's song transcends language barriers even with DRAGONs. :mrgreen:
BrentD15

Iris Scope wrote:To be honest, I thought this was gonna be the episode Vivian dies in considering the attention she got in last week's preview. Good to see that Ange's song transcends language barriers even with DRAGONs. :mrgreen:
Spoiler
I have a feeling that Ange might sing "Ride of the Valkyries" near the end of the series. :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
doghunter1

Henyo wrote:
doghunter1 wrote: You just spoke my mind. Aside from that, there are these references to Ideon:

1. Ange getting whipped and humiliated in episode 10 by Sylvia being a reference to Ideon episode 12, wherein Harulu had Guhaba strip Karala and made every subordinate of hers laugh at Karala.

2. Ange and Hilda in the brig being a reference to Ideon episodes 16-17, wherein Bes had Cosmo and Kasha imprisoned for disobedience.
oooh! this just adds more fuel to my little theory: several peeps in japan want Ideon to return.
(will Tomino go through with his word of remaking it?)
it started with Space Dandy.(A.L.E!) then with Shirobako and Cross Ange. Idepon for the former and the Vilkiss' special attack for the latter.

i forgot to mention this:Ange's 4th wall breaking in the previous episode came true.
Aside from what I mentioned, Tusk saving Ange and Momoka is based on Bes saving Karala.

Anyways, back on topic. Anyone here think Embryo is more or less George Glenn of this series?
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

doghunter1 wrote:
Anyways, back on topic. Anyone here think Embryo is more or less George Glenn of this series?
Umm, not really. George Glen was the first coordinator...so whoever was the first one to use mana would be considered closer to that.

Furthermore, Embryo is clearly one of the main (if not the main) villains of the series, while George Glenn was just someone mentioned as part of the CE history.

Or did you mean Ulen Hibiki? The man who created the ultimate coordinator? But even he was just driven by his own ambitions and never really had a God-complex (unlike Al La Flaga). Because if we must force a connection to a character in a Mitsuo Fukuda show, those two make the most sense...kinda...maybe...not really actually... :roll:
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
doghunter1

Soma Taozi wrote:
doghunter1 wrote:
Umm, not really. George Glen was the first coordinator...so whoever was the first one to use mana would be considered closer to that.

Furthermore, Embryo is clearly one of the main (if not the main) villains of the series, while George Glenn was just someone mentioned as part of the CE history.

Or did you mean Ulen Hibiki? The man who created the ultimate coordinator? But even he was just driven by his own ambitions and never really had a God-complex (unlike Al La Flaga). Because if we must force a connection to a character in a Mitsuo Fukuda show, those two make the most sense...kinda...maybe...not really actually... :roll:
Okay, I'll be frank, I didn't think that one through. I only compared Embryo to Glenn in that, Embryo is responsible for more or less the problems in CA's universe, much like how Glenn revealed how to turn unborn fetuses in Coordinators like him. Comparing Embryo to Hibiki is fine though.
Erisie

So, let's see if I got this:
Spoiler
After a war that virtually annihilated mankind, some douchebag with a massive God complex and a stupid name (Embryo) decided to re-create humanity into a species that wouldn't suffer from greed or inequality, thanks to their merger with technology (Mana). However, old humans that survived the war (the Ancient Ones) rebelled against this new society and managed to steal a Ragna-mail (the Vilkiss), prototype for all the subsequent Para-mail.

In the midst of all these events, the human nations turned their hatred towards those girls born without the powers of mana (Norma) and shipped them to an island in the middle of nowhere to fight against the D.R.A.G.O.N. These women made an alliance with the Ancient Ones to topple the human society (Libertus). The Vilkiss happened to kill its pilots better than an F-104 and was mothballed until a royal-born Norma appeared in Arzenal (Alektra Maria von Loeweherz/Jill) who could control it thanks to her plot device ring. She lost her right arm in a botched flight and with it her ring. Vilkiss was put in storage again until another royal Norma with a magical ring appeared: Angelise Ikaruga Misurugi/Ange.
All good thus far, but where do the D.R.A.G.O.N., the portals, the transformations and Sala fit in all of this?
BrentD15

Erisie wrote:All good thus far, but where do the D.R.A.G.O.N., the portals, the transformations and Sala fit in all of this?
We'll see if Fukuda remembers to explain that. :mrgreen:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Henyo

BrentD15 wrote:
Erisie wrote:All good thus far, but where do the D.R.A.G.O.N., the portals, the transformations and Sala fit in all of this?
We'll see if Fukuda remembers to explain that. :mrgreen:
that's what i'm worrying about. it'd be like what Akamatsu did to some plot points in Negima.
given all the Ideon references so far, maybe an IDE equivalent would later surface? :?
doghunter1

Henyo wrote:
given all the Ideon references so far, maybe an IDE equivalent would later surface?
Think the Mana is the Ide expy, and that it's angry that Embryo injected it into humans, with the DRAGONS as its method of retaliation?

Also, since we now have an Ideon Gun expy, think we should get an Ideon Sword expy?
Henyo

doghunter1 wrote:
Henyo wrote:
given all the Ideon references so far, maybe an IDE equivalent would later surface?
Think the Mana is the Ide expy, and that it's angry that Embryo injected it into humans, with the DRAGONS as its method of retaliation?

Also, since we now have an Ideon Gun expy, think we should get an Ideon Sword expy?
there's an idea. but then, the question is how did Embryo managed to put Mana in humans. he is, in his own words, a creator. maybe we'l even get all of the Ideon's weapons.(BLACK HOLE!)
doghunter1

Just re-watched the last two episodes, and I have this to say:
Henyo wrote:
there's an idea. but then, the question is how did Embryo managed to put Mana in humans. he is, in his own words, a creator.
Problem is, given what Sala mentioned in episode 11 about "false citizens," and "Aura," I think Embryo is like Sala, and that he stole a sample of "Aura" and called it "Mana." Though if he were like Sala, he'd be an expy of Marder from Kikou Kai (Armor/Panzer World) Galient then.

maybe we'l even get all of the Ideon's weapons.(BLACK HOLE!)
There is that.
Compass

I'd like to take time out of this thread to point out that the insert songs for the Endless Song and the duet in Episode 11 are amazing.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Henyo

Compass wrote:I'd like to take time out of this thread to point out that the insert songs for the Endless Song and the duet in Episode 11 are amazing.
can't say much on that front. i'm not into image songs.much(i've got a select faves on some Cures')

the full version of the Rinrei ending though wouldn't sound out of place in a Guilty gear game.
Ryujin

Oh lol, what a way to start the year. Embryo
Spoiler
brings back to life a headshot Chris and at least one roasted loli, blasts at a legshot Julio with his ride (AFTER saving him from Ange--I guess he got tired of the whining), AND EVEN SINGS. Move over, Tatsuya onii-sama--there's a new god in town.

Oh, and Vilkiss goes through a red & blue color change with corresponding powers, Ange gets really angry & Momoka shows why she's TOP MEIDO.

Also lots of violence, atrocities & a new OP & ED song this episode with some changes to the visuals.

Next week has Moe dragon & most likely more Tusk diving action.
Compass

This plot just did several barrel rolls and somersaults. I can't tell if I like it.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Destiny_Gundam

They certainly pulled out all the stops. It was glorious. Very
Spoiler
End of Eva with the massacre, and when those spinny blade things showed up I was all "it's bugs!"
Toshihiko Seki is right at home playing god tier troll. Future developments should be quite interesting.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Raikoh

Things are starting to get more mind screwy, at least in terms of Embryo's goals and motivations. That's not a good sign.

That said, the feel is shifting from Gundam SEED more into a darker take on something like Dendoh, and as one of Fukuda's best works that probably is a good sign.

2nd OP song sucks compared to the first though. Unless they flipped the script as anime will sometimes do and will be giving Nana's ED song the OP spot after this episode.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE