Aldnoah Zero Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Caught up through 18.

While I think that this show's established and fascinating "world" is going to be way too big to maximize its true potential in a format of 24 episodes at this point, I have to say that the show has pretty much gotten back on track now. Something threw the beginning of this season off for me. I can't quite put my finger on it exactly--maybe it was a bit too much Inaho-to-the-rescue with his "super eye," or the fact that things suddenly shot into space warfare, or the switch away from the Orbital Landing Castles, or just that Slaine started to dominate the narrative in a style not unlike Char/Lelouch while everyone else seemed to stagnate some. It may have been a combination of all those, actually. I don't know. The almost dismissal of Season 1's ending didn't necessarily help, either.

But I think Episode 16 started things back on the right track in terms of balance. The Landing Castles started to play a part in the story again; and Yuki, Marito, and the doc came back into the picture (Thank goodness! More older characters are sorely needed; why not have a new Earth team also to contrast the crew from S1 and tell us more about what's going on at Earth HQ?). Inaho's last-minute save sort of spoiled the episode a bit, and brought into question how effective the Earth forces can be WITHOUT Inaho--and how they've been dealing with the Landing Castles in the interim without being wiped out. Nevertheless, there were more good developments than bad. Earth became a focal point again, Count Mazuurek is an interesting new character and chess piece on the board (with a cool mecha to boot), and we're starting to see more counts appear and reappear (with some better definition like in Season 1) while Slaine, the second princess, and others start to slip back into (or began) more naturalistic development that doesn't feel so stereotypical.

Things are looking up. But again, with six episodes left, it puts the series in a tight spot. I was pleased as punch to see one of the MIA Orbital Knights return from Season 1 in Episode 18's opening fight. Anybody else remember him? So happy the writers didn't leave that hanging, and made that connection back to Season 1's developments. (Nothing has shown me that those Landing Castles and their Knights were taken out between the seasons, and they were all part of the world building.) I hope the other MIA Orbital Knights I mentioned earlier in the thread reappear, as well. I liked that Tharsis wasn't shown to be invincible for once, by the way. So, yeah, lots of good stuff going on.

At the least, I still want more information on Heavens Fall, Slaine's mysterious dad, the workings of the Earth government, and humanity's interaction and knowledge of the source of Aldnoah. But...given the choices made, I think we're basically looking at a more limited, intimate story about Inaho and Slaine's relationship with the original princess and carrying out her wishes under two different mindsets. (Happy ending? Slaine ends up with the new princess, reforming Mars, and Inaho ends up with the original princess, reforming Earth. That's too simple, but I could see them pulling that.) While I mentioned issues I've had with the flow of this season, I think the biggest disappointment in Season 2 is how blithely the cliffhanger of Season 1 was resolved and how fast Inaho got back into action without any further development about who he is, or a twist about that even which might have given a new spin on his previous actions and skills.

In the end, I still have to say that despite some stumbles from my perception of it after Season 1, this has still been a notable and enjoyable series overall. I think Season 2 has gotten to a respectable zone, and it might still get better. Plus, there's always the possibility this will get upped for a movie sequel or OVA side-story or something. Do we know if it's performing well in Japan?
Soma Taozi wrote:Hey guess what? Inaho won some positive points with me this episode! He showed concern for his sister, he worked with a TEAM instead of just soloing it like other protagonists A1 has produced (cough Kirito cough)
About that, I recommend Night Raid 1931, a somewhat uneven but very ambitious, charming, and ultimately underrated A1 Pictures show that focuses on a team of four gifted but flawed agents prior to WWII. It's been one of the more memorable and unique anime of the last several years. I'm a little surprised it didn't get more notoriety or buzz. Think Mission Impossible meets Cowboy Bebop meets Witch Hunter Robin.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Amion

I admit the idea of how Inaho and Slaine getting to reform their respective worlds would be really nice, Count.

But somehow I feel Slaine won't be stopping until he has all of the Earth in his grip. I'm still waiting for him to do something unnecessary and wicked. *Char reference* But if he doesn't I'll be happy, because he deserves a happy ending.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Lord Dearche

>Inaho is incapacitaed
>The Princess, Rushes to HIS aid
>Slaine: "GRRR GET AWAY FROM HER!" *Shoots Inaho in the head because he butt hurt that the princess maid a real friend and not some douchy boot licker like him*

Slain is a total douche and deserves the worst. I hope someone up their spits in his coffee every morning.
Amion

Recall also that they're soldiers on opposite sides and it's kind of their obligation to point guns and shoot at each other, personal feelings not withstanding. Add those personal feelings and we have every reason for them to be shooting.
monster

The series doesn't really give any reason to "reform" Earth aside from possibly in the form of giving some space for new settlers from Mars. Other than that, there is no indication that Earth's society needs a reformation, unlike Mars.
LightningCount

monster wrote:The series doesn't really give any reason to "reform" Earth aside from possibly in the form of giving some space for new settlers from Mars. Other than that, there is no indication that Earth's society needs a reformation, unlike Mars.
That's all I was getting at, and it was just a wild guess: That there might be a peaceful integration of Martians on Earth, and a sharing of technology. We don't know a lot about Earth, really, which is sort of disappointing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I sort of realized, and wikipedia now seems to confirm it, that another of the MIA Orbital Knights from Season 1 reappeared last episode in the trio of monitors that Slaine was talking to about his impending duel. The thought crossed my mind, but I was unsure because of the camera angle. His name is Count Sebring (http://aldnoahzero.wikia.com/wiki/Sebring). So, that leaves only Count Keteratesse (who is apparently given this name in a manga side-story), as the only major MIA Oribital Knight from Season 1 (http://aldnoahzero.wikia.com/wiki/Keteratesse).
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Compass

In Chinese folklore, the blue rose signifies hope against unattainable love.

Nope, Slaine, sorry, your princess is in another castle. Nao and Seylum forever!
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Lord Dearche

It's clearly going to end in Rayet end for Nao. No one is getting the princess. They're pretty much the same now. Nao is doing things behind everyones back, and has Rayet as his BFF partner in crime. Slain is doing thing behind everyones back, and has Nunnaly as his own partner in crime.

As to this episode

>Princess wakes up
>>AMnesia

Oh come oooooooon. Nao got shot right the brain and he's pretty damn fine. Mostly.
Amion

Count, the
Spoiler
Landing castles are back :D
Thought you'd like to know if you didn't already. :)

And at this point I'm wondering why Slaine is lying to Lemrina the way he is. One would think she'd be in on it, or was he afraid of losing his Access rights again? *Shrugs*
LightningCount

Amion wrote:Count, the
Spoiler
Landing castles are back :D
Thought you'd like to know if you didn't already. :)

And at this point I'm wondering why Slaine is lying to Lemrina the way he is. One would think she'd be in on it, or was he afraid of losing his Access rights again? *Shrugs*
Ah, nice. I figured as much given that they started to reappear and/or be referenced more frequently starting with Episode 16. You know, I was trying to figure out how people have seen Episode 19 already...and then I realized it's already out on Hulu. What gives? I thought Daisuki was the top-tier, new direct-from-Japan official launch site?
Wellman

Just when the theme music was pumping up...
Calubin_175

As a reference to Pacific Rim, we have a multiple event in which we encounter multiple monsters in a week.
Lord Dearche

I'm personally not so much interested in the 3 Knights vs Nao as much as I am Count Chocula (The guy RayetxNao rescued).

He had his hunches, and now after talking with that other count, he's more than likely getting even more suspicious. Not to mention the fact that Slain is now openly threatening the other counts to pledge their loyalty.

Hopfully they don't kill him off. he's the only martian Knight that's actually likeable.
Amion

Oh he's going to survive, for at least long enough to destroy everything Slaine has worked so hard for.

Now, anyone here agree with me that Slaine should be working with Lemrina to give Access rights to more people like Slaine's servant? From what it sounds like, if Slaine were to gather some Access-capable soldiers he'd have a loyal inner circle to rely on. Course, he chose to lie to Lemrina, and that now means his house of cards is on sand. And it's sinking already.

What's probably going to happen is Count Muzura...*Sighs* What's probably going to happen is Count Chocula is going to wait until he discovers Hime-sama in the castle or at least until Slaine's already united his forces and is on the march to become the glorious Emperor of the new Versian Earth Empire or whatever. Then he'll reveal all and use Nao-kun as a witness. And unlike Loulouch, poor Slaine don't got no magic eye to wipe his memory.
LightningCount

Episode 19 is really pulling it all together, even the S2 elements I wasn't the most fond of. The symbolism and transformation of characters, while it seemingly had some bumps in the road, has been striking in its culmination so far. I'm surprised how much care they're taking on the personal elements right now considering how few episodes they have left...

My checklist is being filled out slowly: *Count Sebring is back on the front lines for the first time since S1 episode 2 with his lightning-powered mecha. *We got to see some of the Earth command structure (a little more than usual, anyway). *Landing Castles are back in full effect.

Still waiting on Count Keteratesse (the last MIA count from S1--I mean, come on, we've gotten everyone else now, don't leave that visual thread hanging.) Still wondering about Slaine's father and the deeper origins of Aldnoah...but that's maybe too far gone to drag up now. Oh, and does the series title refer to Inaho being unit "Zero" in his mecha, or is it a reference to getting rid of Aldnoah by the possible end of the activation factor?

I'm a big fan of the scholarly desert Count (Quatre's older brother?). I will be interested to see how he fits on the board at the end game. One would love to see him get to use his sandstorm mecha to help Inaho, but he claims it's not in his possession.

I thought that Landing Castle at the end would have disabled the Earth mecha, by the way. Not sure if that fits what we saw earlier in the series. But it's a good scenario, anyway.

I figured Harklight would get to power up. But I sometimes am nervous he's going to be Ribbons 2.0.

The dual Princess story is getting real tense now. Earlier in the series I worried it would be too trite or cliche, but it's had some unexpected turns in its significance for all involved.

Altogether, though, I'm just pleased how this series has managed to recapture some of Season 1's momentum and spirit.
Amion

I was afraid also we'd get a Second Coming of Meer/Me Am Lacus. But they legitimately did that trope brilliantly and now she's actually one of my favored characters. If only Slaine had been honest to her I'd still be rooting for him as the real hero of the story.

Since he's not I'm guessing he really is moving steadily into true villain territory, because he's being unnecessarily cruel to Lemrina even after they've built a bond of trust. I mean, lying to her accomplishes little in the long run but set him up for Aldnoah Activation Factor cancellation.

Also, you called it, Count, if Harklight is going to pull a Ribbons. I'll be very angry if it's done wrong, because right now they're a cool duo I'd hate to see turn on each other. But you have to admit it would be a very severe case of irony if Harklight is doing to Slaine what Slaine is doing to Lemrina. Gotta admit, that's consistent in a cruel way. :evil:

On note about the Landing Castles: yes, I'm kinda put off that they didn't show everyone getting blown away by that attack. Maybe this one descended at a different angle and we're seeing proof they can land without mass damage? That would explain how Quattra's Uncle managed to gain the sympathy of the local population (I think they mention he's not really hated by the people around his castle?), he didn't flatten everything around him when he landed "softly".
Compass

You know what? I forgive that bollocks S1 ending not-a-cliffhanger now. This cat and mouse drama is riveting.

Also, Count Mazuurek is the ultimate bro. I'd fistbump him.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Wellman

Count Mazuurek showing you don't have to be a main protagonist/villain to put two and two together.

Wow, Earth military top brass stays stupid with their tactical decisions.

Also, that is the cheapest Aldnoah power I have ever seen, even if there is no durability that is just to strong of a tactical power in mecha.

So maybe I am late to notice this but does Captain Magbaredge remind anyone else of looking like Captain Suzukaze from Majestic Prince?
Lord Dearche

The cliffhangers conclusion this week was a lot more disapointing then what I had expected. Nothing really happened overall other than Count Chocula confirming for himself that Slain is full of s*** and Nao was telling the truth. Giving her the necklace was great.

Though seens Nao is finally showing the side effects of his eye. And also felt kinda bad for Nunnally. Another reason to hate Slaine.
LightningCount

I really liked this episode. One could say this season is milking the Slaine and Princesses angle too much, and I wish they would have been able to explore the world and history a little more, but it's done a good job overall. Aldnoah.Zero has come back to pretty much take the lead for new shows at this point for me.

Mazuurek did not disappoint. I still am wondering how they're going to get everything done in four episodes, but they're on pace for a majority of the threads, I suppose. I'm still hoping for Count Keteratesse and his Geryon Kat to come back. But with all three Counts surviving this episode (two new, one old), I'm not sure they'll be able to fit him in. Then again, his sole line in Season 1 was something like "swear allegiance, or be annihilated." So, maybe he'll emerge as one of the dissenters to Slaine. That would be awesome. Especially since there is supposedly a prequel/side-story manga ongoing in Japan where he plays a part (that's where I got the official names of him and his mecha from via Wikipedia.) I get the impression that he is a Count of leadership more in the league of Cruhteo.