Aldnoah Zero Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Lord Dearche wrote:Where are people getting the MSG thing with the gun fight? It was just a gun fight in space. MSG was a fight turned into a sword fight in some cheesy spave living room. Where it was just a short scene where the 2 coincidentally said some words, then were interupted. I think people are looking too into things just to find a reference.
You're right in many ways. Though, with it being two main character rivals exchanging grand words and small arms in low gravity with the hero in a white space suit and the villain in (or known for) a red outfit, it vaguely brought MSG/CC images to mind. Also, for me, because of the closeups of Inaho, who has a voice and eye color similar to Setsuna, and they both are "princess protectors," it reminded me of the times Setsuna bounded through space passageways with a pistol. They're all different, and it wasn't really a "problem." I just found it a bit sandwiched in and inconsequential given how it played out--nothing really came of the encounter except to remind us that these guys are the designated rivals, so it felt like an homage of sorts to me, even if it wasn't intentional; but then, while I neglected to mention it earlier, I didn't think that the Earth forces should have even made it to the battle until one more episode. My issues with this solid but fairly uninspired episode were broader than this, which I posted about above. But in that post, I did not mention that the use of Lemrina has seemed to fade rather than go out with a bang so far after the twist of her and Asseylum confronting Slaine. Finally, when I saw commandos in this episode, I had this thought that Cruhteo Jr. might have brought a loyalist coup force with him, which would have been very interesting for the Earth forces to run into; instead, it was just more Earth forces. Again, these are just first-time gut reactions on a series that often elicits an emotional reaction because it has had a lot going for it. I mean no offense.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Lord Dearche

Well he didn't really have it do that intentionally. The automated system intergrated into his brain came up with that choice to say it since it was telling her about Nao's feelings and such because it came up. I doubt that Nao flat out wanted the system to reveal all of that.
domino

His eye can talk now......for a second I was indeed hoping that he was a cyborg but not quite. It's more ridiculous than that.

It would've worked a lot better if they had him hacking into the communications from the assassination force or had downloaded plans from them by hacking the Earth defence comms from the Deucalion.

Inaho is seriously Gary Stu. The Deucalion is just acting as his transportation
monster

domino wrote:Inaho is seriously Gary Stu.
I think this term has seriously lost its meaning, if it ever had any, or it has just become a petty way of expressing dislike over a certain character's fortune/ability.
domino

It means that he's near-perfect and/or is able to turn around any obstacle into his advantage
monster

domino wrote:It means that he's near-perfect and/or is able to turn around any obstacle into his advantage
If we go by that definition, considering Inaho's lack of social skill and his failures, he's definitely far from being near perfect. And I've yet to see any main character that hasn't been able to turn around many obstacles to his/her advantage, especially in a setting where failure could mean the difference between life and death.

Come to think of it, the phrase "turn around any obstacle into his advantage" is not really accurate. He doesn't turn anything to his advantage (except the loss of his eye, and that's only because his government gave his new eye to him, and all he does is exploit that advantage), but he has been able to find solutions to his obstacles, as many other main characters do.
domino

I think you missed my previous rant and chose to fanboy over Inaho, that's nice but if you fail to notice that Inaho's eye was originally just intended as a replacement (and not a military weapon) then you also failed to notice that he has reprogrammed his eye to have better resolution than a space satellite, include an accelerometer, geo-positioning, heat sensor, wireless hacking and now autonomy which spans into overriding his bodily functions including rudimentary motor control. Who knows what else it can do.

Considering that Inaho's only experiencing mild side-effects....that's pretty amazing.

Oh and the captain places utmost confidence in his strategic decisions despite him being largely untrained and inexperienced. So much so that he is allowed to execute a counter-assassination strategy all on his own - what's more he actually survives eventhough the Martians are also shooting to kill.

Inaho constantly takes the enemy's unique skills and advantages then turns it against them within minutes of meeting them - after several skilled soldiers in better equipment have been slaughtered helplessly. The space battle against the Martian squad is a good example of it.

What's different about Inaho is that he actually doesn't need help from his comrades to achieve his extraordinary feats - a common theme with anime heroes. Their comrades either help them develop new skills, complement their efforts to create an opening or are the emotional encouragement to reach new power levels. However, Inaho just uses his comrades - a fact that he admits in season 1

Still an enjoyable anime but I don't think I'm far off with my criticism
monster

domino wrote:I think you missed my previous rant and chose to fanboy over Inaho, that's nice but if you fail to notice that Inaho's eye was originally just intended as a replacement (and not a military weapon) then you also failed to notice that he has reprogrammed his eye to have better resolution than a space satellite, include an accelerometer, geo-positioning, heat sensor, wireless hacking and now autonomy which spans into overriding his bodily functions including rudimentary motor control. Who knows what else it can do.

Considering that Inaho's only experiencing mild side-effects....that's pretty amazing.
I don't believe you can reprogram a simple eye replacement to have all of those features. I think he programmed the eye to make it better to suit his purpose, but the eye would already have those abilities. (Think Kira with the Strike in Gundam SEED if you've seen that show, but probably even less novel as the Strike's OS was actually said to be incomplete or of poor quality. We don't get that judgment call on the eye.)
Oh and the captain places utmost confidence in his strategic decisions despite him being largely untrained and inexperienced. So much so that he is allowed to execute a counter-assassination strategy all on his own - what's more he actually survives eventhough the Martians are also shooting to kill.

Inaho constantly takes the enemy's unique skills and advantages then turns it against them within minutes of meeting them - after several skilled soldiers in better equipment have been slaughtered helplessly. The space battle against the Martian squad is a good example of it.

What's different about Inaho is that he actually doesn't need help from his comrades to achieve his extraordinary feats - a common theme with anime heroes. Their comrades either help them develop new skills, complement their efforts to create an opening or are the emotional encouragement to reach new power levels. However, Inaho just uses his comrades - a fact that he admits in season 1

Still an enjoyable anime but I don't think I'm far off with my criticism
Except Inaho does have help in multiple occasions. So I'm not seeing it as any different than the usual main character feats.
domino

The doctor clearly realizes that Inaho has reprogrammed his eye extensively and implies it may cause brain damage. The eye wasn't originally planned to do most of what it can do now thanks to Inaho's haxx0r powers.

No - Inaho just gives his comrades instructions or orders (without always explaining), they comply and he wins the day
monster

domino wrote:The doctor clearly realizes that Inaho has reprogrammed his eye extensively and implies it may cause brain damage. The eye wasn't originally planned to do most of what it can do now thanks to Inaho's haxx0r powers.
That the eye wasn't originally planned to do something is not the same thing as the eye could not do it. A reprogram wouldn't allow the eye to do anything that its hardware isn't capable of doing.
No - Inaho just gives his comrades instructions or orders (without always explaining), they comply and he wins the day
Except he was saved several times when other people do things that he didn't tell them to do, like in this very latest episode.
domino

Can't be bothered to continue this debate....you're ignoring the 90% to argue your 10% perspective (you seriously expect that a typical eye replacement has satellite resolution??). Fact is that without Inaho the Earth forces would be screwed and there is no explanation for why he can do these things except he's Inaho.

Changing the topic:

I found it interesting that the Princess Lemrina chose to stay behind so that Asseylum can move without her "deadweight" eventhough she was extremely jealous of her for most of the series. Is she really intending to sacrifice herself or is she going to seek her own path of survival?

Slaine's corruption has really reached new lows now that he considers Asseylum to be nothing more than a tool. He really learnt more from Saazbuum than he may have realized. I suspect that he and Cruhteo's son will become quick enemies and with the other Count who also has his suspicions, it's highly likely that Slaine's efforts will come to a halt soon.
Lord Dearche

domino wrote: is able to turn around any obstacle into his advantage
Tell that to the bullet that went into his brain.
domino

Really?

The bullet hole in his head that he turned around into his super-robotic eye that saves the day? Or that somehow allowed him to unconsciously re-activate the Aldnoah drive (and keep it activated even when he's off ship???)
monster

domino wrote:(you seriously expect that a typical eye replacement has satellite resolution??).
That's my point. It's not a typical eye replacement. It's military hardware that the Earth government provided to him. You're just too obsessed with painting Inaho as some "haxxor" to even see that, no pun intended.
Fact is that without Inaho the Earth forces would be screwed and there is no explanation for why he can do these things except he's Inaho.
Actually, from what I'm "hearing" in another forum, apparently side materials show some progress for Earth in other battlefronts.

But of course Inaho is a significant factor, no different than the typical main character role. The explanation is that he's smart and knowledgeable, nothing unbelievable about that.
domino

Uhhh, ok

So the Earth military decides to give a top-grade military eye socket to a civilian boy who was never supposed to be there anyway?? I guess one could assume it's because he was badass already so they figured "why not".

Inaho definitely has been haxxing at it though - again, I refuse to believe that the Earth military has someone building robotic eyes that can spy on the MOON from Earth and pinpoint Earthbound targets from the upper stratosphere!! I seriously don't think you're appreciating how OP that is

I wish we had military soldiers like Inaho - where a little booksmarts make you able to kick the enemy's ass within minutes

I think your ability to suspend disbelief is stronger than mine and there's no need for us to continue to debate when we're obviously using different perspectives. Thanks for essentially reminding me that I should just chill out and enjoy the show :D
monster

Well, I'm not asking you to accept the tech, but within the context of the show, it is more believable that the government would provide Inaho with that level of tech than the idea that Inaho could change a simple eye replacement into a military asset with a reprogram of the software.

It helps in suspension of disbelief when you don't jump to the more outrageous conclusions.
Compass

Wow, this was a great plot-driving episode. Nice to see Count Cruhteo is every bit like his dad except for the cane-beating.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Wellman

Yep, Count Cruhteo Jr. ain't half bad.

Still, props for the Princess for showing she does actually have a set of brass ones on her. Although I sort of wish she hadn't interrupted, it would have served the Earth military right to devout all their resources to a all out assault only for the remain Orbital Knights to take over the planet with the bulk of Earth's military fight in space.

Hopefully, the next episode gives us a very good finale for to me what has been a very entertaining show, although I do prefer the science theory (half-fake as it is) vs robot super powers aspect of the show much more then the main story or the conflict with the three main protagonists.
Deacon Blues

I have a feeling they're going to snub her and launch the all out attack anyways. Inaho will probably have to try and fight to convince all sides that their fight is meaningless, blah blah blah.

Here's to hoping we'll have a third season and they don't wrap this up with just two seasons. It was a great series. Love the music! Never get sick of listening to it.
Amion

This episode was quite the mixed bag of lack-luster and sheer excellence. That scene with the Emperor (glad his seiyuu got one last great performance) in particular.

I just find myself shaking my head at Asseylum. So basically, she fell in love with a walking textbook from Earth and decides to side with his planet so she can be with him. I'm not surprised, but it's annoying all the same to see her prattling on about useless conflict simply because it gets in the way of her reasonable but selfish personal life.

Asseylum has revoked everything that should mean anything to her as a Versian princess. And while that part of the speech "I regret the use of this power that wasn't meant for us" bit was awesome and profound, it's the only bit of profundity in her whole logic, assuming she has any going on right now.

Essay inbound:
Spoiler
First: Cruhteo said it best: exactly what's to prove she's the real princess? Slaine has all the cards still: Lemrina if she's willing, plus the necklace that proves who's princess and who's not. Second: Emperor isn't dead and yet she's blatantly succeeding him. Not beyond her reasonable power or position regarding his critical condition, no. But the Orbital Knights showed in last season that they don't care. Why listen when they have an excuse not to? Are we going to retcon the whole idea of them conspiring to murder her? I doubt Saazubaum was the only one doing this, not to mention the commoners like Harklight who obviously want liberation from their tyrannical leaders.

Ignoring the Knights' decisions as alterable, her ideals have no substance for the future to make me cheer for her. Sure the war's got a point! The people of Mars are in poverty and the Earth isn't fully recovered from Heaven's Fall, which they caused somehow. Slaine's idea is to take the Earth, ensure the people of Mars are free of their cruel caste system and also to eventually make Mars habitable while first restoring Earth with Aldnoah, fixing what his father probably caused. What will Asseylum's ceasefire accomplish by contrast? The Terrans will get to keep their planet under the token Corrupted Federation Government (It's a trope at this point!). The people of Mars go back to their caste system or at least still remain in a state of ecological distress.

If she thinks they're all going to go to Earth and be welcomed back no problems then she's in for a reality check. Remember the girl who strangled you, Princess! She was technically Versian too! But since she thinks herself Terran she felt no compunction about trying to kill you! There are whole armies on Earth out there willing to buy into that kind of hurt thinking!

It would have been nice, at least, if Slaine hadn't been given the role of what amounts to liberator and instead was given a true villain's role. But he's done nothing that counts for war crimes thus far. His only moral sin being to lie to Lemrina about her sister's recovery is petty and technically wrong, but hardly a case of "he's an evil man who lusts for senseless violence so we gots to stop him and spread peace!" Some viewers may not like him, but others like me do. He's suffered, he's grown, he's developed and come up with a solution. Why shouldn't I be rooting for Slaine? Option two is Inaho and his lovestruck Hime-sama. They want Slaine to seem like a nasty person, so why not just have him order the mass slaughter of civilians this episode? Because he's not evil, and instead gave direct orders to engage the military units like he's expected to do.

As it stands, Asseylum has no real reason to fault Slaine for continuing the Emperor's will as well as the best interests of both worlds (in the long run) other than love. It's a pity. It's a shame. And while it's consistent with the story and isn't shamelessly putting her opinion on a Lacus pedestal of Sanctimony, its still infuriating to watch the only man who's ever given us a gameplan have it ruined by his spurned lover who's got the hots for a dictionary with a robot eye that's better at expressing affection than he ever will be by himself.

At least I got my Tharsis in all its controversial beauty, as well as the awesome backstory and Aldnoah special affects.
But hey, at the end of the day it's all cool. After all, the alternate original ending is that Asseylum and Inaho die tragically. :twisted:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.