Aldnoah Zero Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: EZero8, ShadowCell

Post Reply
User avatar
Compass
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Compass » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Seriously, Slaine could dethrone Shinn at this rate for me. I didn't think it'd be possible. Maybe Mu was right.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex

Mythgarr
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Mythgarr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Compass wrote:Seriously, Slaine could dethrone Shinn at this rate for me. I didn't think it'd be possible. Maybe Mu was right.
Shinn is a poor victim of his show being hijacked by an outdated and shoudl be expired character, I like his Gundams, his naive angry demeanor and I like how he had the chop to finish Kira, but he had to be written as loser afterward. Slaine is just...written to be an annoying and emotion bait character.
Visit The Dreams

Henyo
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 am
Location: Hidden Tramo Village

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Henyo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:13 am

Oh Inaho. right off the bat you display your usual shtick. still justified though. he wasn't there when the enemy attacked. if Aldnoah ever made it into SRW i think Inaho will have a skill that will negate any kind of defense.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!


User avatar
Destiny_Gundam
Posts: 5102
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Canada, eh.
Contact:

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:11 pm

There's always been something a little... off about Inaho. I won't say he has any specific disorder but it's common for such people to be socially inept yet a genius in some specific field. In his case he's able to keep calm in the midst of battle and can analyze the situation with great efficiency.

So yeah, I've never had a problem with his portrayal.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."

User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Lord Dearche » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:08 pm

It's part of normal human society. Most geniuses have never been socially accepted by the general populace. Usually from jealousy and inferiority complex. Some times the geniuses themselves are total douche bags. Like Thomas Edison. He was one of the greediest and and dirtiest mother ****ers of all time.

In Nao's case he's just one that's good natured at heart but at the same time....dense. He doesn't really do it to show off, just that he does what he does because he has to do it since no one else can. Helps that he's emotionally stunted somwhat.

User avatar
Wellman
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Wellman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Nice glancing battle but would have liked to have seen more, but I guess it is too early for that.
Spoiler
Show
I'll miss the "Bat" nickname.

User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Lord Dearche » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:19 am

I'm surprised they even made it this far into a battle in just the second episode.

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Amion » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:49 pm

This episode really got me into it for some reason. I feel like this new princess is being what Meer was supposed to be, only done in the right way. So far she's adding a dynamic to the princess in the tube trope I've personally never seen before.

Also, nice seeing that Inaho's eye makes his genius deductions a little more believable. They really shouldn't give overpowered scamps like him what amounts to a computer in his head.

Looks at Dearche: Now you've gotten me calling him a scamp. That's a word I haven't heard in a while. :lol: All the more ironic since Inaho is far from mischievous in his countenance.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
Soma Taozi
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Soma Taozi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I can see why people like Inaho and why people do not. Personally I do not like him; to me, Inaho comes off as an emotionless Kirito who now has a "super-awesome-robotic-eye" and is just ONE STEP away from having a harem (all we need is the sister who IS NOT REAALLLYYYY his sister).

The thing is, if he has some disorder or is just a genius...Aldnoah has not seen to grace us with that explanation. No one has said, even if passing, why Inaho is the way he is...does he have some kind of disorder that makes him incredibly smart but socially inept? Maybe. We can speculate till we are blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is that we simply do not know...for 14 episodes now. At this point I assume it is just bad writing and I think others are completely justified in thinking the same way.

That is why I still like Slane. Mopey, emo-Slane. Because despite all that...at least he is a character. At least he has an arc and we KNOW WHY he does the things he does!

Furthermore he is flawed. He has worked all his life to get respect and the abilities, you may not like him...but I admire his tenacity. Inaho? Where do I begin? Why is he so smart, yet emotionless? Because of his parent's deaths? How is he just SO MUCh better than everyone? Is everyone inept? How could earth survive without him when he was in the hospital? When we have been show again and again and again, that everyone else sucks besides our hero. I can think of maybe twice where the other cast had a moment to shine...maybe?

I have to hand it to A-1 Pictures...they now have a formula that will get people watching. Because at this rate, Aldnoah is turning into Sword Art Online.

Strangely enough, I like everything else besides Inaho. So can we have less of him and more of the other characters doing things? Oh and can the captain STOP with the whole "that is why you will never get a date" thing. It was humorous in the first season, but for two episodes now THAT is all she has said to her. Is this your catch-phrase now?

Sorry, rant over. Again I still like Aldnoah...and it most certainly can turn these complaints around. But if it doesn't start doing something with its cast soon...I fear I am going to start to hate it...and I really don't want to do that.

monster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by monster » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Soma Taozi wrote:The thing is, if he has some disorder or is just a genius...Aldnoah has not seen to grace us with that explanation.
There is no need to assume a disorder unless it is mentioned. And whether or not he's a genius is irrelevant. The point is he's knowledgeable about physics and is able to use that knowledge along with his training to good use in combat.

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Amion » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Soma Taozi wrote:I can see why people like Inaho and why people do not. Personally I do not like him; to me, Inaho comes off as an emotionless Kirito who now has a "super-awesome-robotic-eye" and is just ONE STEP away from having a harem (all we need is the sister who IS NOT REAALLLYYYY his sister).

The thing is, if he has some disorder or is just a genius...Aldnoah has not seen to grace us with that explanation. No one has said, even if passing, why Inaho is the way he is...does he have some kind of disorder that makes him incredibly smart but socially inept? Maybe. We can speculate till we are blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is that we simply do not know...for 14 episodes now. At this point I assume it is just bad writing and I think others are completely justified in thinking the same way.

That is why I still like Slane. Mopey, emo-Slane. Because despite all that...at least he is a character. At least he has an arc and we KNOW WHY he does the things he does!

Furthermore he is flawed. He has worked all his life to get respect and the abilities, you may not like him...but I admire his tenacity. Inaho? Where do I begin? Why is he so smart, yet emotionless? Because of his parent's deaths? How is he just SO MUCh better than everyone? Is everyone inept? How could earth survive without him when he was in the hospital? When we have been show again and again and again, that everyone else sucks besides our hero. I can think of maybe twice where the other cast had a moment to shine...maybe?

I have to hand it to A-1 Pictures...they now have a formula that will get people watching. Because at this rate, Aldnoah is turning into Sword Art Online.

Strangely enough, I like everything else besides Inaho. So can we have less of him and more of the other characters doing things? Oh and can the captain STOP with the whole "that is why you will never get a date" thing. It was humorous in the first season, but for two episodes now THAT is all she has said to her. Is this your catch-phrase now?

Sorry, rant over. Again I still like Aldnoah...and it most certainly can turn these complaints around. But if it doesn't start doing something with its cast soon...I fear I am going to start to hate it...and I really don't want to do that.
*Grins* Yeah, at this point I usually just wait for these posts of yours, Soma, instead of doing the rant myself. Of course, at this point I'm ignoring Inaho. Who knows. Maybe we'll finally get the explanation at the end.

I'm glad at least one other person besides me still likes Slaine. He's an interesting character and frankly I don't see the hate. He suffered all through season one, and now that he's saved Assaylum's life and more or less manipulated Saazubaum (who I'm sympathetic toward anyway), some seem to dislike him now. *Shrugs*

I admit I actually still find the date catchphrase humorous. Which is a first, because running gags in stories like in One Piece can be a real turn off for me. Not with the captain for some inexplicable reason.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
Wellman
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Wellman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:34 pm

I figure it is the same thing emotional damper thing Shaw has on the CBS show Person of Interest, whether they say it out right or not doesn't really bother me. He does what most people could do, if they were extremely observant of their enemies, knew enough about tactics, science and have main character level of luck in some spots.

The emotionless jackass with a tiny Grinch heart of gold works because if he was anything except Super robot style hot blooded or deceptively hiding himself and his true objectives behind a happy go lucky mask (as I think Bellri does in Reconguista in G), he'd probably be moping or annoying.

User avatar
LightningCount
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by LightningCount » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:38 pm

I'm behind, only 7 episodes in, and I am *really* enjoying this series. I guess I have to assume the next 5 episodes are going to "ruin" everything...but I sort of find that hard to believe. For what it is, this series has been on-point pretty much throughout so far. It's pulling its threads together nicely, and I sense a neat twist coming with Inaho that would only make things more interesting. Again, I have to say, it's much, much better than I ever expected or was led to believe. My general assessment to this point is that it's an interesting mix of Code Geass, RahXephon, Gun x Sword, and 08th MS Team.

Any word on when/if this will be released overseas on home video, if it'll be English dubbed, and/or if it'll be only an Aniplex USA-style premium-priced title?
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone

User avatar
Soma Taozi
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Soma Taozi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 am

monster wrote:
Soma Taozi wrote:The thing is, if he has some disorder or is just a genius...Aldnoah has not seen to grace us with that explanation.
There is no need to assume a disorder unless it is mentioned. And whether or not he's a genius is irrelevant. The point is he's knowledgeable about physics and is able to use that knowledge along with his training to good use in combat.
And I would be far more willing to accept that...if every single other solider didn't suck. Did they all skip physics class? Every single one? Not just talking about Inaho's classmates, but all the regular soldiers? Is that why they cannot account for "wind"? Which, by the way, I am assuming is gravitation pull?

Look all I want is just a little bit of competence from someone other than Inaho on the side of the Earth. Hell he even STARTED THEIR SHIP AGAIN WHEN HE WAS UNCONSCIOUS! Inaho accomplished more when he was shot in the face, then 90% of the cast during 14 episodes, that...that is simply amazing.

monster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by monster » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:14 am

Amion wrote:I'm glad at least one other person besides me still likes Slaine. He's an interesting character and frankly I don't see the hate. He suffered all through season one, and now that he's saved Assaylum's life and more or less manipulated Saazubaum (who I'm sympathetic toward anyway), some seem to dislike him now. *Shrugs*
I can't speak for anyone else, but while I don't necessarily hate/dislike Slaine, I have yet to find any reason to be sympathetic of him or his plan, whatever it may turn out to be. You say he saved Asseylum's life, but he was the one who allowed her to be in danger in the first place. And now he's willingly using Asseylum's image without her consent to promote a war she was against when he was against Inaho/Earth from using her.
Soma Taozi wrote:And I would be far more willing to accept that...if every single other solider didn't suck. Did they all skip physics class? Every single one? Not just talking about Inaho's classmates, but all the regular soldiers? Is that why they cannot account for "wind"? Which, by the way, I am assuming is gravitation pull?

Look all I want is just a little bit of competence from someone other than Inaho on the side of the Earth. Hell he even STARTED THEIR SHIP AGAIN WHEN HE WAS UNCONSCIOUS! Inaho accomplished more when he was shot in the face, then 90% of the cast during 14 episodes, that...that is simply amazing.
I can certainly understand your complaint, but I see that more of a problem with the show's treatment of the rest of the characters/Terran forces rather than a problem with Inaho himself.

User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Lord Dearche » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:50 pm

The other soldiers DO account for wind. It's just that Nao's a genius and is able to quickly and properly analyze the wind, trajectory distance, etc. And Ironically, Nao also probably has more experience fighting the martians then anyone of the older soldiers.

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by Amion » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:40 pm

monster wrote:
Amion wrote:I'm glad at least one other person besides me still likes Slaine. He's an interesting character and frankly I don't see the hate. He suffered all through season one, and now that he's saved Assaylum's life and more or less manipulated Saazubaum (who I'm sympathetic toward anyway), some seem to dislike him now. *Shrugs*
I can't speak for anyone else, but while I don't necessarily hate/dislike Slaine, I have yet to find any reason to be sympathetic of him or his plan, whatever it may turn out to be. You say he saved Asseylum's life, but he was the one who allowed her to be in danger in the first place. And now he's willingly using Asseylum's image without her consent to promote a war she was against when he was against Inaho/Earth from using her.
Soma Taozi wrote:And I would be far more willing to accept that...if every single other solider didn't suck. Did they all skip physics class? Every single one? Not just talking about Inaho's classmates, but all the regular soldiers? Is that why they cannot account for "wind"? Which, by the way, I am assuming is gravitation pull?

Look all I want is just a little bit of competence from someone other than Inaho on the side of the Earth. Hell he even STARTED THEIR SHIP AGAIN WHEN HE WAS UNCONSCIOUS! Inaho accomplished more when he was shot in the face, then 90% of the cast during 14 episodes, that...that is simply amazing.
I can certainly understand your complaint, but I see that more of a problem with the show's treatment of the rest of the characters/Terran forces rather than a problem with Inaho himself.
While it's true Slaine is using Assaylum, he still managed to get her medical help. And we don't know whether or not the Earth forces could successfully keep her more or less alive without Aldnoah magic.

As for his plan, sounds like he wants to liberate Mars from its social hierarchy and bring its people prosperity. I somehow find that more endearing than the somewhat vague leadership of the UN right now. They want to throw the Versians back to Mars, but what then? Would they willingly negotiate to bring Martians to Earth in return for Aldoah rights? I hope we get something from the Terran side so I can compare the two. Right now the only ones with an actual plan for the war are Saazubaum and Slaine. Inaho certainly don't got any political goals...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

monster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by monster » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Amion wrote:While it's true Slaine is using Assaylum, he still managed to get her medical help. And we don't know whether or not the Earth forces could successfully keep her more or less alive without Aldnoah magic.
Getting her help is the least Slaine needed to do after what he'd done, so I don't count that in favor of him. And I'd say there's a good chance of the Terrans helping her. She suffered from gunshot wounds, just like Inaho, not some magical Aldnoah poisoning.
As for his plan, sounds like he wants to liberate Mars from its social hierarchy and bring its people prosperity. I somehow find that more endearing than the somewhat vague leadership of the UN right now. They want to throw the Versians back to Mars, but what then? Would they willingly negotiate to bring Martians to Earth in return for Aldoah rights? I hope we get something from the Terran side so I can compare the two. Right now the only ones with an actual plan for the war are Saazubaum and Slaine. Inaho certainly don't got any political goals...
Well, we never did find out whether Earth and Mars could've worked out their differences because Saazbaum messed that up. And now Slaine is supporting this same man who restarted the fighting and nearly killed Asseylum, twice. Even if Slaine thought he had a good reason, I simply can't support his actions so far, especially when it involves the deaths of many innocents.

User avatar
LightningCount
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: Aldnoah Zero Thread

Post by LightningCount » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Finished Episode 8. Hmm, I was expecting Slaine to be taken in by Inaho (you'd think an allied Martian would be someone worth questioning, especially since they had the upper hand with the new battleship; and if not that, then I expected that Inaho was some sort of specially conditioned double agent who had his own plans for the Princess, and would not mention his encounter with Slaine at all. So, the writing surprised me a bit there in ways I'm not sure how I feel about. I felt a bit cheated. The transition to Slaine being captured was not very clear to me.

Now, the fact that Slaine's captors were not the real traitors was nice--they had obfuscated things enough that I wasn't entirely sure anymore--but to see them all go and Saazbaum (sp?) get the upper hand was both a little surprising and upsetting.

I have heard rumors/statements that one of the things that "ruins" this show is some kind of "brainwashing." If it had been Inaho who'd been brainwashed from the start in some sort of secret plot, that'd be interesting to me (and fitting to his character); but if it's Slaine who is going to be brainwashed now...then I can see why this story might get irksome for a lot of people.
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone

Post Reply