Macross poised to finally see international release?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Re: Macross poised to finally see international release?

Post by AmuroNT1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Not just involved, Mikimoto is credited as the writer and artist for EdC. Of course, leave it to Tokyopop to get something that important wrong...
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power

Deacon Blues

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:06 pm

angelwingzero wrote:I find that a bit funny because when Ecole du Ciel was being published by Tokyopop, every issue had "From Mikimota, the creator of Macross" stamped on the front.
Um... no it didn't. It says, "AS ENVISIONED BY MIKIMOTO THE ACCLAIMED ARTIST OF MACROSS AND BABY BIRTH!"

Try again?

azrael

Post by azrael » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 pm

My point remains, they're promoting the artist, the person, not promoting a past project of his.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."

Strike105

Post by Strike105 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Bumping because of this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... set/.77032

Can't say I've ever cared for anything HG's done, and I always end up liking them less every time I read something about them. Nevertheless, they are finally making Macross available in its original format, albeit packed in with their modified Robotech version, but due to the age of both, I'll take a guess that most of the current generation of American cartoon and anime fans probably don't know or care much about them to check it out. I'm also guessing that a good chunk of the older fanbase probably isn't doing much better, for one reason or another. I just don't think this release is going to sell that well, especially for something with such a niche fanbase, and the fact that it's being sold exclusively through Amazon makes me think that they are aware of this. Sad as it is, it just seems like a case of "too little too late" at this point.

MrMarch

Post by MrMarch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 am

I wouldn't purchase anything for Harmony Gold anyway, but who buys "DVDs" or Standard Definition anymore? I don't spend my cash on anything that isn't at least 1080P HD Blu-Ray quality from a high definition scan source. And most of what I buy now is digital, no disc. I'm amazed there are still people that settle for less.

I agree, as much as I adore the original SDF Macross, it's not something that can sell to young audiences. At this point only a completely re-animated version using modern budgets could bring in young audiences to an old franchise. Or just watch one of the more current Macross sequels like Frontier :)

Kratos

Post by Kratos » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:35 pm

While they may not settle for Harmony Gold, lots of people "settle" for DVDs. TV/player upscaling, lack of HDTV, ubiquity of players, and price in general (blu-rays and their players may be getting cheaper all the time, but DVDs are still even cheaper than that - a penny saved is a penny earned, and all) have kept a lot of people perfectly happy with DVD as a format.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"

TakaTahuNuva

Post by TakaTahuNuva » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:32 am

MrMarch wrote:I wouldn't purchase anything for Harmony Gold anyway, but who buys "DVDs" or Standard Definition anymore? I don't spend my cash on anything that isn't at least 1080P HD Blu-Ray quality from a high definition scan source. And most of what I buy now is digital, no disc. I'm amazed there are still people that settle for less.
It shouldn't be that surprising, not everyone can afford Bluray. I know I can't (but no way in hell I'm going to buy this set)

It's funny, to this day my dad still can't differentiate between VHS-quality to 1080p, it's all the same to him heh
ohhhh snap

HellCat

Post by HellCat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 am

I swear I remember reading that in the Western market Blu-ray sales are actually slowing. People are supporting it (probably helps stuff like the Playstation consoles make it easy to get a Blu-ray player that isn't just that) but the majority seem happy enough with DVD, even if the industry is slowly pulling support to push people to Blu-ray as they did with VHS beforehand.

Also know that it's actually more expensive for anime niche titles in the West to get a Blu-ray release. Here in the UK it's only very recently started to pick up but you'll still mostly see titles on DVD only. Even press copies (which I'm down to receive) will often provide a DVD copy over the Blu-ray version.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Deacon Blues

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 am

Didn't ADV put out the complete series anyways? How is this going to be any different? I wonder if it'll be different subtitles from their version or not... :/

AmuroNT1

Post by AmuroNT1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:24 pm

AFAIK, the last version that came out was ADV's release with Vic "Love Him or Hate Him" Mignogna as Hikaru and Mari Iijima as Minmei (yes, in English).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power

teslashark

Post by teslashark » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Tapeworms.
From what I know, Kawamori can't afford to buy the release right of Macross back even if he sell Satelight. Though, does Wildstorm still the paper media proxy in UK? He might have better luck getting Wildstorm or some other localized distributor to release a "specialized version of Robotech".

Edit: so HG did that themselves.

P.S.
The name Argama always made me wonder what if HG bought Zeta Gundam.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com