The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeonista

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

This story will definitely break new ground in the Macross universe and widen our horizons some. New planet, new manufacturers, new conflicts, all of them very interesting! Once again like Macross Seven and Macross Frontier, Macross Delta in turn will allow Kawamori to fill in some gaps and now show the Macross 'verse three generations removed from Space War One.

How time flies! It's now been 52 years since Megaroad 01 left for the stars, and 23 years since the Macross City 7 Fleet encountered the Vajra. Max & Milia will be retired and sitting around living off their pensions while awaiting word about their grandchildren! Basara ought to be working on his third comeback tour!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Seto Kaiba

Zeonista wrote:This story will definitely break new ground in the Macross universe and widen our horizons some. New planet, new manufacturers, new conflicts, all of them very interesting!
Every Macross series breaks new ground, the only question is how much... in this case, not much (by the presently available evidence). The "mysterious enemy VF developed in secret" bit isn't remotely new... it's one of Kawamori's favorite tropes. This new enemy VF will be his sixth (technically seventh) "secret enemy VF". The previous five were:
  • Feios Valkyrie (Macross Digital Mission VF-X, 1997)
  • Neo Glaug (Macross Plus: Game Edition, 2000)
  • Variable Glaug (Macross M3, 2001)
  • SV-51 (Macross Zero, 2002)
  • Queadluun-Alma (Macross the Ride, 2011)
... with an honorable mention to Macross Frontier's VF-27 for being "completed in secret" rather than "developed in secret", and a possible honorable mention to Havamal's YF-29B from Macross 30.

Zeonista wrote:How time flies! It's now been 52 years since Megaroad 01 left for the stars, and 23 years since the Macross City 7 Fleet encountered the Vajra. Max & Milia will be retired and sitting around living off their pensions while awaiting word about their grandchildren! Basara ought to be working on his third comeback tour!
Unless they changed the date from their initial announcement (2067), it'll have been 55 years since the Megaroad-01 left for the stars, and 22 years since the Macross-7 fleet encountered the Varauta forces. (The 7th Long-Distance Emigrant Fleet never encountered the Vajra.) Nine years from the end of the Frontier fleet's war with the Vajra.

Max and Milia will definitely be old though... they'll be in their early 70's by that point, Isamu and Myung will be in their early 50's, and Alto'll be a thoroughly appropriate 25 years of age on the 25th New Macross emigrant ship, flying his VF-25.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Arbiter GUNDAM

So recent info on the new Gundam series' BDs might indicate that the series is only 25 episodes long, seeming to follow a recent trend. Given this, I'm thinking this might mean Macross Delta will be 25 episodes as well?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:So recent info on the new Gundam series' BDs might indicate that the series is only 25 episodes long, seeming to follow a recent trend. Given this, I'm thinking this might mean Macross Delta will be 25 episodes as well?
that's a strong possibility, yes. but i'm half expecting Macross delta to go overboard with the 3 reference just as M Frontier did with the number 25.

on other matters, who do want to be in the show? the seiyuus i mean.
i for one want Norio Wakamoto. it'd be a treat to hear him shout Deculture at his HAMMIEST.
it'd be even great if he was the main villain.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Zeonista wrote:This story will definitely break new ground in the Macross universe and widen our horizons some. New planet, new manufacturers, new conflicts, all of them very interesting!
Every Macross series breaks new ground, the only question is how much... in this case, not much (by the presently available evidence). The "mysterious enemy VF developed in secret" bit isn't remotely new... it's one of Kawamori's favorite tropes. This new enemy VF will be his sixth (technically seventh) "secret enemy VF".
The intern responsible for editing Uncle Zeo's comments before quick-posting has been sacked. Then re-hired and sent to get coffee and thin-crust pizza after she started crying.

Well there is new ground and new ground, and I was referring to the new ground meaning that we would see another previously unknown portion of the far-flung Macross-verse. I also do not count "known" as meaning "random dot connected by a line on the Macross Frontier intro map." Since the planet was not identified I am presupposing that it is a new stage altogether, which is in keeping with Kawamori-sensei's preference. Yes the Aggressor Variform Fighter has become a hallowed trope alongside the Gundamjack Raid, but I appreciate its return in the what-will-they-do-now category. At least the Macross stories make the scenario worth our while by introducing new tech and new uses for said tech which leads the story beyond the Itano Circus clouds.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Arbiter GUNDAM

antibiotictab wrote:http://macross.jp/news/

The press release for Macross Delta will be streamed on...
The Portal Macross Website
Bandai Channel
Niconico Live

It will start at noon, Oct 29 (JST). Pm 8, Oct 28 in LA (daylight saving time).

Details will be also revealed next week.

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Very nice. I hope they given some substantial details about the series.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Just about an hour to go until the stream. :)

--Freyja Wion
hitokirigarou

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSP0f7WfziQ

VF-31 is named Siegfried. Antagonist VF is Sv-262 Draken III.

I'm getting a medieval knight vibe, for some reason. Didn't Kawamori had a concept about knights piloting VFs?
Raikoh

I'm highly skeptical simply based on first impressions alone.

The character designs and choice of "idol group" theme just reek of trying to cash in on popular trends. Plus while the new VF design is refreshing, it's kind of disappointing that once again a Macross series is filled with nothing but variants of 2 machines.

That said, Macross started off the entire franchise by ripping on what was popular at the time, so I guess this is par for the course. Luckily it's been confirmed that we AREN'T getting something as silly as idols piloting Valkyries. I dunno, I guess it all depends on how strong the characters and how good the music is, although anything more than three singers is usually too much for my tastes.

Between the green-haired girl wearing green and the squad of male idols who wear green uniforms (one of whom appears to have green hair himself), at least Kawamori might keep us guessing as to who he's going to torture this time.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
hitokirigarou

I'm guessing the idol group is used to combat the "Var Syndrome". Is it a disease that's cured by music?
LightningCount

I wasn't expecting this at all...though, I guess I should have when I consider the success of Macross F. I was somehow under the impression Delta would be more in line with Macross Plus or Macross Zero in tone, setting, and/or character designs. So, personally speaking, the trailer doesn't make it look like my cup of tea. But for a franchise as long-running as Macross, I think I'm more surprised by the type of CG being used. Its style appears to be an updated offshoot of things like Blue Sub No.6 and Last Exile, which went for blended tones of realism. I would have expected the CG to keep up with more recent entrants in the anime science fiction/mecha genre with cel-shading and such, like Majestic Prince, Argevollen, or especially Fafner Exodus--which has had its small share of striking plane action scenes. It seems like that would be more fitting.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Chris
Administrator

hitokirigarou wrote:Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSP0f7WfziQ

VF-31 is named Siegfried. Antagonist VF is Sv-262 Draken III.

I'm getting a medieval knight vibe, for some reason. Didn't Kawamori had a concept about knights piloting VFs?
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/aircavalry/index.htm

Air Cavalry Chronicles is a design series for the early concepts that later evolved into Escaflowne. Some of the designs were modified into mecha for Macross 7.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ies/.94760
Minori Suzuki, the 18-year-old winner of the newest Macross singer auditions from Aichi Prefecture, will play Freyja Wion, an aspiring idol who is full of spirit and who is always smiling.
Whelp, I already know who's going to be heartbroken and alone in the end.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dark Duel

Hmm...I like the VF-31, but so far, first impressions...I'm not sold. I remember being instantly drawn in by the early teasers for Frontier when that was announced (Largely, it is true, due to how blatantly evocative of its ancestor the VF-25 was as a design), but this one's not hooking me in the same way.
That said, it IS Macross, so I'll definitely at least check it out.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

tochiro wrote:Ok, a few points explicitly stated in the Delta presentation that people seem to misunderstand.
1)The girls are NOT pilots. The do not sing while they fly. They support the pilots with their singing. We do not yet know WHO the pilots of the VF-31 squad are or HOW the girls support them (the talks do not appear to be dual cockpit either).
2)The males are NOT a band or idols. They are a group of pilots. Nowhere has it been stated that they sing.
3)The director stated that the main characters may not even (all) be in the two images released today. There's a lot more to be revealed yet.
4)Kawamori noted that there's no scenes in the teaser where the girls are actually doing their thing and that there's a lot regarding this that has yet to be revealed.

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Mixed reactions..as one would expect from a long established franchise!

this is the first thing i want to say: Give me Macross X love live crossover fanart!
that orange haired girl has strong Honoka vibes. but the overall chara design leans toward IM@S more than Love live. i'm love both idol series so im good there.

as for the boys, i'm not surprised that people would mistake them for singers. those kind of getup nowadays is connected to idols than knights, chivalry and the like.

then there's the animation for the VFs. looks fine to me. really, peeps should learn that animation isn't everything. what's the use of HD animation if the story is MEH over 9000?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
SonicSP

The singing squad idea brings me terrible memories of Macross 7 (which I did not enjoy generally speaking, even if they are some aspects that I liked). So my excitement has dampened a little bit.

Still, maybe I'll like it eventually, just not good first impressions that's all.
Zeonista

Well, that is Kawamori-sama for you, he is ever full of surprises. Some really interesting ideas, and the VF mecha are interesting. Yeah I could definitely watch the anime aside from the brand name.

Iris Scope

I think i'm clear on the MC being the blue haired youth and the Freiya idol being like the Minmay of the group but i'm still unclear on who will be the third wheel of the triangle? Is it the purple haired songstress or the elf-eared tomboyish one who gives blue hair MC a hard time in one angle?