The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Which part? The part about the in show idols reflecting real life ones?
Yes. :)

And no, we will not be getting any Macross streamed or broadcasted anywhere outside of Japan unless one of two VERY unlikely things happens:

1. Harmony Gold just somehow ceases to be. Which, if it didn't happen in the 90s, is likely never going to happen.

2. Frank Agrama dies and his kids carve up and/or sell off the company and in the process their trademark on the word Macross is either not renewed or cancelled.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
J-Lead

Eh, I'll be honest, a lot of this preview episode was a massive let down for me. I'm not a particularly big fan of the YF-30 in battroid mode, and the VF-31 actually looks like an even less charming version of it, especially with the Sentai thing they have going on with Delta Squadron. Can't say I'm a fan of the SV-262, but I'll reserve judgement until I see a Battroid mode. I'm used to idol singing having strange, interesting effects on extraterrestrials, but Walkiure just mach 5'd at 10,000m their way past psychadelic singing and landed straight into techno-magical girl territory, complete with the usual "Do you prefer the confident alpha? Perhaps this energetic bioform made of giggles and jiggles (who's also a total mech geek for you otakus!;^D) or are you a fan of the quiet, weird variety?" of anime girl archetypes, and if I'm being honest...the song they played was remarkably bland for a Macross show.

So we have Sentai VFs, Magical girl AKB48, and underwhelming J-Pop compared to Frontier so far... Can't say I'm really digging the omnipandering Kawamori's got going on with this one, at least in the preview episode. It just feels tacky. Probably doesn't help that I'm not really a fan of the majority of the genres he's taking from.

Maybe the future episodes will present it better, but I have a feeling this will be the first Macross where I tap out early.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
kabukigang777

i liked the drawing style of this macross except the 3d drawing,but making it like a barbie show im very disappointment they made a macross for little girls and with sentai vibes.
Arbiter GUNDAM

J-Lead, you are, so far, the ONLY person I've run across on any forum that has mentioned disappointment with the Valks and THEN talked about Walkure.
kabukigang777 wrote:i liked the drawing style of this macross except the 3d drawing,but making it like a barbie show im very disappointment they made a macross for little girls and with sentai vibes.
Yes because a show that opens up with a suicide bombing on a bus full of people is clearly intended only for little girls.

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

J-Lead wrote:Eh, I'll be honest, a lot of this preview episode was a massive let down for me. I'm not a particularly big fan of the YF-30 in battroid mode, and the VF-31 actually looks like an even less charming version of it, especially with the Sentai thing they have going on with Delta Squadron. Can't say I'm a fan of the SV-262, but I'll reserve judgement until I see a Battroid mode..
i'm a bit with you on this one. not digging the VF-31's head design. i miss those blocky design of the VF-1.(and not in the very least missing the realistic mouth of Basara's VF.)

the idols wearing some kind of Exgear? why nutts? and maybe it'd looked like that outfit that Sheryl uses for her concerts.(forgot the term. XD)

this is one of those times that i wish that any local channel in my country will get some of the current animes. lots of animes that are only getting western releases now have long been aired here.(LOTS of the Old school Magical Girls. the entirety of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, uncensored at that.)

of course that would mean i have settle for sub par dubbing... 8)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Destiny_Gundam wrote:In general I like music that has multiple singers singing in unison. While the first song didn't impress me too much, I really like the 2nd one (I dig the use of brass).
I prefer the second song to the first as well, but I agree with you that the overall style has the right contemporary appeal. I pay respect to Kawamori-sensei repeatedly finding that which is creative, stylish and profitably popular.
Freyja is cute (and hopefully not Thor in disguise)
Amen to that!! Although having a wild Zentran warlord demand her as a "bride" singer would be fun. :lol:
One might think Mirage, since she actually meets the guy this episode, but Mikumo looks like she's going to be too important to be left out.
I honestly have no idea about the ships being launched so far. This could turn into an unwilling harem (trope!) as per the Utawarerumono sequel, but Kawamori-sensei isn't much into harem play. One of the ladies is gonna win, and who will it be? Of course, as a onetime Miriya Parino fanboy I have to cheer some for Mirage. ;)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Zeonista

Zeonista wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:In general I like music that has multiple singers singing in unison. While the first song didn't impress me too much, I really like the 2nd one (I dig the use of brass).
I prefer the second song to the first as well, but I agree with you that the overall style has the right contemporary appeal. I pay respect to Kawamori-sensei repeatedly finding that which is creative, stylish and profitably popular.
Freyja is cute (and hopefully not Thor in disguise)
Amen to that!! Although having a wild Zentran warlord demand her as a "bride" singer would be fun. :lol:
One might think Mirage, since she actually meets the guy this episode, but Mikumo looks like she's going to be too important to be left out.
I honestly have no idea about the ships being launched so far. This could turn into an unwilling harem (trope!) as per the Utawarerumono sequel, but Kawamori-sensei isn't much into harem play. One of the ladies is gonna win, and who will it be? Of course, as a onetime Miriya Parino fanboy I have to cheer some for Mirage. ;)
J-Lead: Don't give up yet, we didn't even have a full #1 episode in terms of run time. The full show is coming in April...

Arbiter GUNDAM: Back around Macross Frontier someone in the anime biz explained to me the snarl of American, European, and Japanese licensing issues required to get a Macross anime widely and internationally streamed & distributed. It was enough to make a loyal fan weep, then hoist the black flag with no regrets.

Henyo: In the future everything will look like an iPhone! :D

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

Zeonista wrote:Amen to that!! Although having a wild Zentran warlord demand her as a "bride" singer would be fun. :lol:
Well she's already fleeing from a marriage she doesn't want. The name of her race also happens to be the last name of one of the bad guys so it's likely he's the one she's running from.
Zeonista wrote:I honestly have no idea about the ships being launched so far. This could turn into an unwilling harem (trope!) as per the Utawarerumono sequel, but Kawamori-sensei isn't much into harem play. One of the ladies is gonna win, and who will it be? Of course, as a onetime Miriya Parino fanboy I have to cheer some for Mirage. ;)
Macross is about triangles, not harems. I'd rather it be Mirage since we had idol vs idol last time. But Mikumo still looks like she'll be more plot relevant than a simple Valkyrie pilot.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Zeonista

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Zeonista wrote:Amen to that!! Although having a wild Zentran warlord demand her as a "bride" singer would be fun. :lol:
Well she's already fleeing from a marriage she doesn't want. The name of her race also happens to be the last name of one of the bad guys so it's likely he's the one she's running from.
Playing out the old story of the wedding of Thor and the Giant in Macross terms would be amusing. :D
Macross is about triangles, not harems. I'd rather it be Mirage since we had idol vs idol last time. But Mikumo still looks like she'll be more plot relevant than a simple Valkyrie pilot.
It does sound like Mikumo is being hyped up, true. I do not think she will be a serious contender for the hero's heart, more like a mischievous onee-san who wants to guide him in the right path. I am thinking it will be Freyja versus Mirage, with Mirage for the win, but trying to predict Kawamori anime endings is a risky proposition!

Destiny_Gundam

Zeonista wrote:but trying to predict Kawamori anime endings is a risky proposition!
Not in the case of Macross. It's always the more mature option the protagonist initially doesn't get along with that always wins. Even when Kawamori isn't involved.

Macross 7 is the only real exception since no one won there. But it's likely had the story progressed Mylene would have picked Basara since he's the main character and all.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
J-Lead

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:J-Lead, you are, so far, the ONLY person I've run across on any forum that has mentioned disappointment with the Valks and THEN talked about Walkure.
Where do you think we are? :I
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
nacho-wan

I loved the first ten minutes of the episode because of the serious world building and the last ten because of the Awesome Valkyrie combat. I can do with everything in between, particularly the battloids as backup dancers. Yuke. God forbid we get a left shark here...
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Henyo

we could get more than one love triangle. I'm certainly all for it. more so if it Yuri.(not gonna quit on this possibility any time soon. i want more mecha yuri anime! :twisted: )
on the supposed main love triangle, i'm also going to place my bet on Mirage. it'd be a repeat of Max and Milia. couples fighting together. that and i'm a fan of Seto Asami.

any one gonna do the Walkure sign in conventions/ in the presence of friends? i certainly will. 8)
Ascension

Henyo wrote:any one gonna do the Walkure sign in conventions/ in the presence of friends? i certainly will. 8)
I noticed there's at least three variants on it: the single-hand version Mikumo and (I think?) Kaname did (which is unfriendly to my non-animated fingers), the two-person version Makina and Reina did together, and the one-person-two-hands version Freyja threw up.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Zeonista

we could get more than one love triangle. I'm certainly all for it. more so if it Yuri.(not gonna quit on this possibility any time soon. i want more mecha yuri anime! :twisted: )
Based on your above remark, I take it you are a Symphogear fan then? :D
i'm also going to place my bet on Mirage. it'd be a repeat of Max and Milia. couples fighting together. that and i'm a fan of Seto Asami.
Seto Asami will do well by the role and herself, I am sure of it. Mirage is the safe bet based on past history, but...this is episode 1.

Dark Duel

Mirage is a good bet based on her name alone, if we assume she is descended, as her name indicates, from the guy who turned an enemy pilot from "actively trying to kill him" to "loving fiancée" in thirty seconds simply by being naturally that awesome.(That is still one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise :P )
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Henyo

Zeonista wrote:
Based on your above remark, I take it you are a Symphogear fan then? :D
i'm also going to place my bet on Mirage. it'd be a repeat of Max and Milia. couples fighting together. that and i'm a fan of Seto Asami.
Seto Asami will do well by the role and herself, I am sure of it. Mirage is the safe bet based on past history, but...this is episode 1.
YES I AM!!! really big fan. although i categorize Symphogay, err SYmphogear, more as Magical Girl than mecha. XD
episode 1 yes. but some fans did worse. see the reactions of people upon the announcement of the new Madoka Magica Project. 8)

Mirage may be an adopted Jenius. it might be that she's just a knack for piloting. on that note, wasn't she the one who was a bit late in the formation?
Arbiter GUNDAM

Yeah... remember a few posts ago when I said we wouldn't be getting Macross Delta streamed here in the US?

https://youtu.be/KyQQYQDGPJM

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

Well, fat lot of good it does without subtitles though.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Ryujin

Dark Duel wrote:...the guy who turned an enemy pilot from "actively trying to kill him" to "loving fiancée" in thirty seconds simply by being naturally that awesome.(That is still one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise :P )
If, at some point, Macross Delta recreated the Max-Millia knife duel, but with Battloids, then this will be the best Macross show EVER.

Also, for the record, really liking big brassy Ikenai Borderline & Regults with chin turrets instead of the pair of dinky little limited-traverse lasers on the originals.