The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
False Prophet

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 am Oh, Mari herself has confirmed on several occasions that for a long time she was rather upset/bitter over having her career dominated by her debut role as Lynn Minmay in Super Dimension Fortress Macross. You'd be pretty cross too if the world set out to tell you at every opportunity that you peaked right out of the gate in you chosen vocation.

She kind of fell victim to the same kind of fame problem that dogged many Star Trek and Star Wars actors, being known for one extremely famous role that leaves them "that actor from that film" rather than just "that actor".
To be fair, William Shatner isn't that great as an artist, and so people started thinking the rest of the cast is like him, and then ignored everything else they did.

Anyway, I used the time between that last post to listen some more to Ms. Mari's live performances. They were just so... amateurish, and I feel like there is something really wrong with her vocal cords. It is a stark contrast with someone like, say, Hiroko Moriguchi or MIQ (the singer who sang L-Gaim theme).They could still play the notes right nowadays.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm To be fair, William Shatner isn't that great as an artist, and so people started thinking the rest of the cast is like him, and then ignored everything else they did.
The notoriety that the actors on iconic shows like that gained wasn't necessarily because they were fantastic actors, but rather because the shows had such a massive resonance with the public.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm Anyway, I used the time between that last post to listen some more to Ms. Mari's live performances. They were just so... amateurish, and I feel like there is something really wrong with her vocal cords. It is a stark contrast with someone like, say, Hiroko Moriguchi or MIQ (the singer who sang L-Gaim theme).They could still play the notes right nowadays.
Well, you have to remember that Mari did basically peak right out of the gate in her music career in Japan, and then basically moved to the US to get away from being The Voice of Lynn Minmay, so a lot of her later performances have been colored by her having to sing in a different language.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 am Well, you have to remember that Mari did basically peak right out of the gate in her music career in Japan, and then basically moved to the US to get away from being The Voice of Lynn Minmay, so a lot of her later performances have been colored by her having to sing in a different language.
She has been working in America over 30 years and still has such an uneven (and sometimes screeching voice). Like I said before, the problem seems to lie with her body. I know that this is too much presumption, but my mind fall back to the idea that her vocal cords are somehow damaged.

That aside, do you know anything about the singer for Macross II, Mika Kaneko? I just can't find any English information about her online.

Also, why didn't Yoko Kanno compose for Delta? And would there be a chance that either her or Shirō Sagisu would work in a future Macross title?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 pm She has been working in America over 30 years and still has such an uneven (and sometimes screeching voice). Like I said before, the problem seems to lie with her body. I know that this is too much presumption, but my mind fall back to the idea that her vocal cords are somehow damaged.
I think it's a lack of practice, personally... for a long time she wasn't doing very much performing. She's gotten back on the horse in the last couple years, in part thanks to Macross's anniversary events and crossover lives.

False Prophet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 pm That aside, do you know anything about the singer for Macross II, Mika Kaneko? I just can't find any English information about her online.
Oh, the scarcity of information about her in English probably has a lot to do with her trying to make the typical idol move and jump from singing to acting. She was in a bunch of TV dramas and a pair of movies in the 90's, while also doing a musical called Rock to the Future and a few other works. AFAIK she's been inactive as a singer since 2004.

False Prophet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 pm Also, why didn't Yoko Kanno compose for Delta? And would there be a chance that either her or Shirō Sagisu would work in a future Macross title?
Well, anything's possible... but I have no idea why she didn't compose for Delta. I can only assume they wasted so much money putting Walkure together that they couldn't afford her.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Iris Scope

Mari has an uneven screeching voice? Is it something as bad as say, Yoko Ono? Sad to say that Yoko Ono is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine with her "Don't Worry Kyoko" single. What is wrong with me?!!!
Seto Kaiba

Iris Scope wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:51 pm Mari has an uneven screeching voice? Is it something as bad as say, Yoko Ono? Sad to say that Yoko Ono is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine with her "Don't Worry Kyoko" single. What is wrong with me?!!!
I've been to see her perform live several times over the last few years and I didn't think she had an uneven screechy voice... the only problem I had with her performance was the sh*tty sound system in the Torrance Cultural Arcs Center being prone to feedback, which made my front row seats an agonizing experience until they got the issue sorted.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

speaking of Mai IIjima...anyone knows that goings on with that issue with Vic Mignona and photos?

Man, Mignogna been on the radar for one reason or another these past few months...
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 am speaking of Mai IIjima...anyone knows that goings on with that issue with Vic Mignona and photos?
Nope. As far as I know, Mari has not commented on the whole Vic Mignogna thing. She wasn't even the one who had leveled the accusation that he was harassing her, I'd heard that came from a third party.

Henyo wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 am Man, Mignogna been on the radar for one reason or another these past few months...
Yeah, though this has been coming on for a while now.

The complaints against Vic's habit of inappropriately touching coworkers and convention attendees alike have been piling up for years, but there was never any incentive for his employers to take action until the #metoo movement. Now that the entertainment industry as a whole is being subjected to greater scrutiny and anime distributors have been bought out by major corporations that are much more sensitive to social pressure, they can't bury complaints about employee misconduct without hurting themselves in the court of public opinion. So many people have made complaints about Vic's behavior that there's just no way for FUNimation or its parent company Sony Pictures to get away with empty promises of an investigation and wait for it all to blow over to protect him and his contract.

Vic is suing FUNimation and several of his former colleagues claiming that this is some kind of calculated campaign intended to destroy his career, but really it's just that years of complaints against him are all being investigated at once. That the investigation was handled by FUNimation's parent company Sony Pictures showed it was something they were taking VERY seriously, and that they found enough evidence of misconduct to terminate his employment with immediate effect is a pretty damning thing in the industry's eyes. You don't just fire one of the biggest, most respected voice actors in the industry without very good cause... especially when that person could easily sue for wrongful termination. That Sony felt its case was ironclad to the point of being able to fire him immediately was pretty much all other companies needed to see to follow suit and cancel his contracts, recast his characters, and remove him from active projects. His lawsuits against his main accusers and FUNimation are a fairly standard try at saving his career, but not likely to bear fruit given that Sony Pictures felt confident enough in their findings to let him go like that.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Chris
Administrator

Hey folks - nothing wrong with responding to a question, but let's keep any further discussion of Vic out of this thread. Thanks.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
False Prophet

Say, how do you think timekeeping occur on an interplanetary scale? Not just that no two planets have the same movements, on such a scale space-time curvatures are in full effects.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 pm Say, how do you think timekeeping occur on an interplanetary scale? Not just that no two planets have the same movements, on such a scale space-time curvatures are in full effects.
Thus far, everyone seems to still be using Earth's modern Gregorian calendar... with 365.2425 days per year, 24 hours per day, and so on. Even characters born out in deep space aboard emigrant ships or military vessels reference Earth for their date of birth and after fold jumps ships correct their clocks and calendars according to UTC.

There may be some minor deviances on planets with slightly different gravity to Earth's, but ships traveling through the galaxy are maintaining (artificially) 1g so they should experience no time dilation.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:34 pm Thus far, everyone seems to still be using Earth's modern Gregorian calendar... with 365.2425 days per year, 24 hours per day, and so on. Even characters born out in deep space aboard emigrant ships or military vessels reference Earth for their date of birth and after fold jumps ships correct their clocks and calendars according to UTC.

There may be some minor deviances on planets with slightly different gravity to Earth's, but ships traveling through the galaxy are maintaining (artificially) 1g so they should experience no time dilation.
That could post a problem--for example, I could imagine when the central government actually want to impose a law on the entire system, which must have been rare because of the decentralized fleets, they have to write the law in a way that accommodate the difference in times between the settlements, especially the planetary one.

Say, people have criticized Harmony Gold for years, but have anyone one talked back Tatsunoko and Big West about their roles in the licensing debacle?

Also, I hear the rumor that Kawamori had just accepted Macross II back into canon in a...variety show? What is the deal with it?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am That could post a problem--for example, I could imagine when the central government actually want to impose a law on the entire system, which must have been rare because of the decentralized fleets, they have to write the law in a way that accommodate the difference in times between the settlements, especially the planetary one.
Maybe... but it's not something that's ever really come up. A lot of the worlds humanity has settled seem to be very close to Earth, in terms of surface conditions.

False Prophet wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am Say, people have criticized Harmony Gold for years, but have anyone one talked back Tatsunoko and Big West about their roles in the licensing debacle?
Really, the licensing debacle was caused by Harmony Gold... namely, their stonewalling Macross licensing in the west to "protect" the Robotech franchise they're not doing anything with. There's not a lot to blame either of the other companies for there. The whole reason Tatsunoko ended up with the rights it did was Big West was NEW to animation sponsorship and unprepared to spend as deeply as a project like Macross required, but we can't fairly blame them for being unable to see the future.

False Prophet wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am Also, I hear the rumor that Kawamori had just accepted Macross II back into canon in a...variety show? What is the deal with it?
That was almost ten years ago, and it was an anniversary event... he didn't accept Macross II into canon as such, because he doesn't believe in such a thing as canon. To him, each Macross series is an island unto itself which is connected by only broad strokes continuity. He considers them all to be equally valid stories.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Anyone here plan to pick up Daemon X Machina? I am still saving my money for a Switch, so buying the game is still a long way to go.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:26 am Anyone here plan to pick up Daemon X Machina? I am still saving my money for a Switch, so buying the game is still a long way to go.
Not me. I decided to pass on Daemon X Machina after playing the game's rather pathetic demo.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 pm Not me. I decided to pass on Daemon X Machina after playing the game's rather pathetic demo.
You haven't played Armored Core, right? Which complain do you have about Daemon x Machina? From what I heard, people are saying that the game is kind of repetitive and weak at story, but otherwise it is a perfectly fine mech game.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm
Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 pm Not me. I decided to pass on Daemon X Machina after playing the game's rather pathetic demo.
You haven't played Armored Core, right? Which complain do you have about Daemon x Machina? From what I heard, people are saying that the game is kind of repetitive and weak at story, but otherwise it is a perfectly fine mech game.
Yeah, Armored Core never particularly appealed to me... and I never owned a Sony game console until I bought a PS3 to play Macross 30, so playing it was out of the question anyway.

Daemon X Machina's demo was bland and uninteresting for the most part. It felt really unpolished. The mecha designs are pretty generic looking, the combat's grindy as f*ck, and my biggest gripe was the physics engine. There just isn't the feeling of any actual mass to the mecha. Flying doesn't feel like flight... there's no sense of inertia or momentum to it, it's like having NOCLIP on, like floating along on an invisible platform with some cosmetic flames for decoration. Some of my friends described that weird massless feeling to the mecha as "baby's first OpenGL project", since the mecha doesn't so much feel like it's moving as it feels like a static reference point for a moving camera.

It's functional, but it feels very generic. All told, I feel like the game is only getting press because it's the kind of thing that would normally be a Playstation exclusive, but it's on the Switch instead, and because Kawamori is involved. If it were a Playstation exclusive, it wouldn't stand out at all.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:26 pm Yeah, Armored Core never particularly appealed to me... and I never owned a Sony game console until I bought a PS3 to play Macross 30, so playing it was out of the question anyway.

Daemon X Machina's demo was bland and uninteresting for the most part. It felt really unpolished. The mecha designs are pretty generic looking, the combat's grindy as f*ck, and my biggest gripe was the physics engine. There just isn't the feeling of any actual mass to the mecha. Flying doesn't feel like flight... there's no sense of inertia or momentum to it, it's like having NOCLIP on, like floating along on an invisible platform with some cosmetic flames for decoration. Some of my friends described that weird massless feeling to the mecha as "baby's first OpenGL project", since the mecha doesn't so much feel like it's moving as it feels like a static reference point for a moving camera.

It's functional, but it feels very generic. All told, I feel like the game is only getting press because it's the kind of thing that would normally be a Playstation exclusive, but it's on the Switch instead, and because Kawamori is involved. If it were a Playstation exclusive, it wouldn't stand out at all.
Have you played Zone of the Enders? It does have that "zippy" feeling to it, though I suspect the physic system is better with ZoE.

And to be fair, there are not many mech simulation games in this console generation. There are a few Gundam, MechWarrior, and a few independently-made rail-shooter style games.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 am Have you played Zone of the Enders? It does have that "zippy" feeling to it, though I suspect the physic system is better with ZoE.
Yup.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 am And to be fair, there are not many mech simulation games in this console generation. There are a few Gundam, MechWarrior, and a few independently-made rail-shooter style games.
It's probably for the best, given how many mech simulation games turn out to be hot garbage and/or have zero appeal outside of a small demographic of die-hard mecha enthusiasts.

(IMO, that's kind of the problem with the mecha genre as a whole right now. It's gotten so caught up in catering to a small, hardcore group of fans that innovation isn't really a thing anymore. The 800lb gorilla of the genre, Gundam, just makes the same show over and over again and has even resorted to doing shows about its own merchandising.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Iris Scope

Second movie title logo revealed along with new variable fighter:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... er/.151637