The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
nacho-wan

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

I like Macross and I enjoyed Frontier a lot, that being said this picture gave me very bad vibes for this new show:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QZIJU559wjc/V ... ry_img.jpg

You can't judge a book by its cover, but this picture speaks a thousand words about the increased lolification of animé. This Delta Macross gives me a vibe of being sort of Symphogear/Cross Ange thingy -and I was waiting for Macross Plus type of story.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
GVmanX

Yeah, I can't say I like the look of this new Macross. Frontier's designs have character to them; these just look like generic moe garbage, and I generally consider myself to have a decently high tolerance for moe junk. I hope it'll be better than it looks, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I don't even know how involved Kawamori is with the production of this. I read somewhere that he only has some sort of "Original Creator"-esque credit so far, which leads me to believe that the answer to that question is "not very." This is about par for the course with anime since 2010, if you ask me.

On the plus side, I've only just began getting my feet wet in Macross. I still need to watch DYRL, 7, Plus, and possibly Zero. All I've seen is the original SDF TV series, so I'm gonna be good for a while.
Chris
Administrator

GVmanX wrote:I read somewhere that he only has some sort of "Original Creator"-esque credit so far, which leads me to believe that the answer to that question is "not very." This is about par for the course with anime since 2010, if you ask me.
You know, a little bit of research means you can verify stuff rather than going on vague things that you "read somewhere."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=17762

ANN has him listed as chief director and mechanical designer, which is the exact same role he had in Frontier.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zeonista

I sort of like the idol group theme, which is current and popular, even as the solo idol was the hot thing in 1982. After the AKB 48 and Love Live anime success , not to mention the Idolmaster juggernaut, I would say Macross Delta can and will make it work.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
GVmanX

Chris wrote:
GVmanX wrote:I read somewhere that he only has some sort of "Original Creator"-esque credit so far, which leads me to believe that the answer to that question is "not very." This is about par for the course with anime since 2010, if you ask me.
You know, a little bit of research means you can verify stuff rather than going on vague things that you "read somewhere."

ANN has him listed as chief director and mechanical designer, which is the exact same role he had in Frontier.
I said it was something I "read somewhere" because I didn't feel the need to empirically verify a statement I made on a forum about giant robot cartoons.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong. I checked that page a few days ago and he was just listed as original creator, so I assumed the worst.
Amion

GVmanX wrote:
Chris wrote:

I said it was something I "read somewhere" because I didn't feel the need to empirically verify a statement I made on a forum about giant robot cartoons.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that I'm wrong. I checked that page a few days ago and he was just listed as original creator, so I assumed the worst.
Yah thought wrong. We expect links here, Mista. This ain't the backwoods, ya see. 8)
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Iris Scope

I've seen the trailer twice and i am still unclear on which three characters form the latest Macross love triangle. I expect the one revealed character Freyja to be one of them or else why bother to reveal her extensively and i think the blue haired male who was making a flight homage with his body is the second one but who is the third party? Any help would be deeply appreciated. :)
Arbiter GUNDAM

Iris Scope wrote:I've seen the trailer twice and i am still unclear on which three characters form the latest Macross love triangle. I expect the one revealed character Freyja to be one of them or else why bother to reveal her extensively and i think the blue haired male who was making a flight homage with his body is the second one but who is the third party? Any help would be deeply appreciated. :)
We don't really know. I would hazard a guess as to the Meltran or Zolan redhead pilot from the trailer, but that's pure speculation at this point. Not everything has been revealed yet, such as who the pilots of the VF-31 squad.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
pirx

hitokirigarou wrote:Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSP0f7WfziQ
VF-31 is named Siegfried. Antagonist VF is Sv-262 Draken III.
?
Thanks for the trailer!

Draken as named after SAAB Drakken fighter?
Arbiter GUNDAM

Yes, Kawamori mentioned in a separate interview that that the Draken III is specifically modeled after the Saab Draken.

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Wow, yeah that's really good. Very impressed.
Zeonista

Ah, Minori-chan sings very cutely and nicely sweet. She is Macross idol material all the way!

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Arbiter GUNDAM

A short commercial for the special airing of Delta's first episode has been released. Most of the footage is what we've seen before but there are a couple of new shots and a snippet of what is presumably a Walkure song.

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

Addendum: The new song is called Ikenai Borderline, maybe a slight reference to Sharon Apple?

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Yeah, that sounds like a reference to me. They have certainly doen plenty of call backs to past Macross series in Macross Frontier, so I think it's a likely possibility.
Zeonista

MrMarch wrote:Yeah, that sounds like a reference to me. They have certainly doen plenty of call backs to past Macross series in Macross Frontier, so I think it's a likely possibility.
At this point in the franchise a few shout-outs to past series are mandatory. If Delta can manage them like Frontier it should be good.

MrMarch

Zeonista wrote:
MrMarch wrote:Yeah, that sounds like a reference to me. They have certainly doen plenty of call backs to past Macross series in Macross Frontier, so I think it's a likely possibility.
At this point in the franchise a few shout-outs to past series are mandatory. If Delta can manage them like Frontier it should be good.
Fo sho. The references so far have been fairly harmless and treated exactly like they should be: minor fun features for the fans.
Arbiter GUNDAM

And another character has been revealed! Not sure on the translation of the name so far, the fine folks over at the Macross Speaker Podcast will likely suss it out. :)

Oh and Freyja is 14. :mrgreen:

--Freyja Wion