The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Iris Scope

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Fair enough.

I admit i overreacted too much, that was an interesting tidbit about Freyja's "When the Rune Sparkles in September" song. I guess i was that upset about Delta being a weak entry in the Macross franchise that i just jumped on the bandwagon of making an excuse to get even angrier about it with the comparisons in songs. Forgive me.
Seto Kaiba

Iris Scope wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:46 pm I admit i overreacted too much, that was an interesting tidbit about Freyja's "When the Rune Sparkles in September" song. I guess i was that upset about Delta being a weak entry in the Macross franchise that i just jumped on the bandwagon of making an excuse to get even angrier about it with the comparisons in songs. Forgive me.
Oh, no worries. :)

Macross Delta is a rather polarizing title among the Macross fandom, particularly in the west. Very few fans seem to be neutral on the subject, you either love it or loathe it and a narrow majority among fans in the west seems to be for "loathe".

If you think this was weird, the discussion of the movie on MacrossWorld recently veered from complaints of characters existing solely for fanservice purposes and the rather shameless fanservice in the BD extras to the fridge horror implications of Mikumo's true identity as a clone created with Star Singer DNA.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Iris Scope

I will admit that the one thing Delta got right was the soundtrack with tracks too darn catchy to ignore like Ikenai Borderline which I still have in my iPod. :mrgreen:

My problem with the story is the usual complaint that the first half is dope but there ain't no definitive conclusion to the war between NUNS and the Kingdom of the Wind by the end of the second cours.

BTW, it's been 3 years already and not one word about the upcoming Macross 2018 sequel series that was promised by the creators. Last thing I heard written in Macross World forums is that the supposed lack of news on artists and auditions might mean that we'll be getting a Delta sequel project. Fans' words, not mine. Personally, if they feel like finishing the show and giving it more time and sincere effort then by all means go ahead, as long as it pairs Hayate with Mirage like it should've done so all along, not that weak sauce Hayate/Freyja pandering that will be gone in less than nothing since Windemereans don't last past 30, right?
Seto Kaiba

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am My problem with the story is the usual complaint that the first half is dope but there ain't no definitive conclusion to the war between NUNS and the Kingdom of the Wind by the end of the second cours.
The movie version kinda-sorta addresses that with the Kingdom of the Wind proposing peace talks after losing the second battle on Ragna.

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am BTW, it's been 3 years already and not one word about the upcoming Macross 2018 sequel series that was promised by the creators.
Patience, my friend. A new Macross series is typically not formally announced until around October 1 on the year it's due to come out, and we don't usually see a teaser trailer for it until around Halloween. That's still about two or three weeks out.

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am Last thing I heard written in Macross World forums is that the supposed lack of news on artists and auditions might mean that we'll be getting a Delta sequel project. Fans' words, not mine.
Almost certainly not, thank goodness.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Dark Duel

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am I will admit that the one thing Delta got right was the soundtrack with tracks too darn catchy to ignore like Ikenai Borderline which I still have in my iPod. :mrgreen:
Oh GODS yes. Between that one and Bokura no Senjō, I dunno which is my favorite...Actually, I'd call it a three-way tie between those two and AXIA ~ Daisuki de Daikirai ~.

But that is definitely the one aspect in which IMO Delta was undeniably superior to its predecessor. Because while Frontier had a lot of awesome tracks, I think Delta had many that were even moreso. In almost every other aspect, I'd give Frontier the edge in my book, but music-wise, Delta takes the win.
Also, break-dancing VF-171 FTMFW (I will never get tired of that clip).
Last edited by Dark Duel on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Seto Kaiba

Dark Duel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:29 pm Also, break-dancing VF-171 FTMFW (I will never get tired of that clip).
That turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments in the series... they built the "Immelmann Dance" up to be Hayate's signature move, and it was forgotten by the time they got to episode 10.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Dark Duel

Yeah that’s definitely true. Add that to the list under “wasted potential” for the series...

...which is probably a fairly long list.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Seto Kaiba

Looks like there's a new, all-original Macross Delta movie in the works according to a recent announcement.

All I can say is "Yuck".
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

huh? Like ... there are 2 Frontier movies, but... they continued each other. I am confused now.
What kind of story they want to tell us?
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:31 pm huh? Like ... there are 2 Frontier movies, but... they continued each other. I am confused now.
What kind of story they want to tell us?
Your guess is as good as mine... the first (and as far as we knew until yesterday, ONLY) Macross Delta movie covered the entire TV series.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Does this mean that "next Macross series" will not happen and we will just get this Delta movie #2 instead?
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am Does this mean that "next Macross series" will not happen and we will just get this Delta movie #2 instead?
Dunno. We're hoping that's not the case.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Found this:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -new-movie
Only useful into is that new Delta movie will have "a new content" - so no series remake and that there will be a "multiple Macross events in 2019" - meaning that new series are (hopefully) still on list.
False Prophet

Say, does Michiaki Sato take a "hands on" approach to managing Satelight, or does he let the content creators do their jobs in freedom? It's quite interesting to see how a guy in accountanting background adjusting to being the president of an anime studio.

And does anyone here have prior experience to the Girly Air Force light novel? For such a type of content, how much resources/dedications would Satelight spend on it? And would there be any change to the quality of the upcoming Macross movie if they have to run multiple projects at once?
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:39 am Found this:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -new-movie
Only useful into is that new Delta movie will have "a new content" - so no series remake and that there will be a "multiple Macross events in 2019" - meaning that new series are (hopefully) still on list.
Crunchyroll is just rehashing what was already said in the ANN article... which is something they do on a fairly regular basis.

They ran out of series material in the first Delta movie, so the one due out next year will apparently be an all-new story. Until we get confirmation on who's writing it, I am not going to bother getting my hopes up that it'll be any less of a train wreck than the series and first movie. There's a lot of potential there, but the writers are much more interested in making a Walkure commercial than telling an actual story.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 am Say, does Michiaki Sato take a "hands on" approach to managing Satelight, or does he let the content creators do their jobs in freedom? It's quite interesting to see how a guy in accountanting background adjusting to being the president of an anime studio.
It's not that surprising in this day in age, now that most studios are corporate working environments owned by major media companies. It makes sense to have an accountant in charge of a business that's running on notoriously tight margins. (Even well-established studios will occasionally come out in the red a few times in a decade if they don't have a real breakout hit, so knowing how to manage a loss is essential for keeping the doors open.) Satelight's owned by SANKYO Group, after all...

I haven't heard anything about MIchiaki Sato's management style, TBH. Considering he's got Kawamori on payroll as senior managing director, it's unlikely he's a micromanager. Kawamori's a notorious free spirit.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 am And does anyone here have prior experience to the Girly Air Force light novel? For such a type of content, how much resources/dedications would Satelight spend on it? And would there be any change to the quality of the upcoming Macross movie if they have to run multiple projects at once?
Do you have any sales figures for the light novel?

Studios'll sink more money and manpower into a series with a bigger following.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:57 am
False Prophet wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 am Say, does Michiaki Sato take a "hands on" approach to managing Satelight, or does he let the content creators do their jobs in freedom? It's quite interesting to see how a guy in accountanting background adjusting to being the president of an anime studio.
It's not that surprising in this day in age, now that most studios are corporate working environments owned by major media companies. It makes sense to have an accountant in charge of a business that's running on notoriously tight margins. (Even well-established studios will occasionally come out in the red a few times in a decade if they don't have a real breakout hit, so knowing how to manage a loss is essential for keeping the doors open.) Satelight's owned by SANKYO Group, after all...

I haven't heard anything about MIchiaki Sato's management style, TBH. Considering he's got Kawamori on payroll as senior managing director, it's unlikely he's a micromanager. Kawamori's a notorious free spirit.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 am And does anyone here have prior experience to the Girly Air Force light novel? For such a type of content, how much resources/dedications would Satelight spend on it? And would there be any change to the quality of the upcoming Macross movie if they have to run multiple projects at once?
Do you have any sales figures for the light novel?

Studios'll sink more money and manpower into a series with a bigger following.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Satelight is owned by a Pachinko maker. These machines really can have some awesome animations to them.

And about Girly Air Force, I know no English source for the sale figure. I could ask some guys to pull the numbers from Japanese sources, though.

From what I understand, mecha doesn't seem to be a popular genre with light novel fans. There is that new military LN "86" with steampunk mecha that does seem to be doing really well, but I haven't looked at the raw numbers.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm Oh yeah, I forgot that Satelight is owned by a Pachinko maker. These machines really can have some awesome animations to them.
Yeah, the Macross Pachinko Fever machines are pretty impressive... enough so that the new animation made for them ended up on the Super Dimension Fortress Macross Blu-rays.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm And about Girly Air Force, I know no English source for the sale figure. I could ask some guys to pull the numbers from Japanese sources, though.

From what I understand, mecha doesn't seem to be a popular genre with light novel fans. There is that new military LN "86" with steampunk mecha that does seem to be doing really well, but I haven't looked at the raw numbers.
Times have certainly changed since Full Metal Panic! was in serialization. It's not a format I follow on a regular basis, so I'm not sure if it's just falling prey to the same swings back and forth between dark and action intensive material and cutesy lighthearted slice of life stuff that anime is. Unfortunately we're in another one of those periods of excessive cuteness and lightness, so mecha is on the out until things start swinging the other way again.

Macross habitually publishes light novel adaptations of its various series, and only rarely flirts with doing original stories like Macross the Ride... which is on my to-do list but will likely not reach the top of the queue for a year or two yet.

Lately it feels like the light novel format is infested with a surfeit of Isekai stories about hikikomori characters with MMORPG addictions who are inexplicably transported to fantasy worlds with RPG mechanics. The novelty wore off after the first few like Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! and Overlord... now it's a bit grating. Since everything comes to the west on a delay of at least a few months, we're going to be buried in that stuff for YEARS.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:55 pm Times have certainly changed since Full Metal Panic! was in serialization. It's not a format I follow on a regular basis, so I'm not sure if it's just falling prey to the same swings back and forth between dark and action intensive material and cutesy lighthearted slice of life stuff that anime is. Unfortunately we're in another one of those periods of excessive cuteness and lightness, so mecha is on the out until things start swinging the other way again.

Macross habitually publishes light novel adaptations of its various series, and only rarely flirts with doing original stories like Macross the Ride... which is on my to-do list but will likely not reach the top of the queue for a year or two yet.

Lately it feels like the light novel format is infested with a surfeit of Isekai stories about hikikomori characters with MMORPG addictions who are inexplicably transported to fantasy worlds with RPG mechanics. The novelty wore off after the first few like Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! and Overlord... now it's a bit grating. Since everything comes to the west on a delay of at least a few months, we're going to be buried in that stuff for YEARS.
I am always under the impression that there are more FMP anime fans than LN fans even in Japan. It is the kind of show that benefit a lot from animation.

And about isekai stuff, you probably will have to wait even longer. Basically, publishers are printing LN left and right, regardless of quality, and still make quite a profit because these books are simply too cheap (the same thing happened with manga. I have no idea how could so many manga magazine could have survived at the same time.) and the cut the authors -usually freelancer guys who started the series on self-publishing sites- received are low.

In another word, there is simply no pressure for the authors and publishersto innovate.

Anyway, how hard do you think does it take to marketing an Idol in Macross? Idol culture in Japan relied a lot of making not only the visual impression, but also the physical impression -think of the so-called "hand-shaking events- but it is impossible to do so when space colonisation is widespread. It simply takes too much time and money.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:59 pm Anyway, how hard do you think does it take to marketing an Idol in Macross? Idol culture in Japan relied a lot of making not only the visual impression, but also the physical impression -think of the so-called "hand-shaking events- but it is impossible to do so when space colonisation is widespread. It simply takes too much time and money.
On a local level, like we saw in Macross Frontier, I suspect it works much the same as it does today... a good deal of in-person meet & greet events like variety shows, handshaking, handing out free samples, and a lot of other trifling nonsense just to get their names out there. Basically what we saw Ranka doing under her first manager at Vector Promotions in the Macross Frontier TV series.

I'd imagine the Galaxy Network (space internet) does a lot of the heavy lifting once an idol has build up local awareness to the point of being able to release something like a CD single or photobook. The popularity and profit that media brings in interstellar commerce between fleets and planets would do a lot to build a public awareness outside of the idol's home fleet. Kind of like what happened to Fire Bomber after their new label released the Planet Dance single and they went from nobodies to well-known chart toppers almost overnight.

EDIT: Grace tried to sabotage Ranka's career by repeatedly hacking her promotional website so Ranka would not undermine Sheryl's popularity... at least, until Grace confirmed Ranka was the Little Queen, then Sheryl went out the window.

So, I guess you could say a Japanese-style idol experience on the local level and a more American pop star career trajectory on the interstellar level.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, which series of Kawamori has his best designs? My favorite has always been Frontier, but recently I have been falling in love with the M.O.E.V. fron Pandora - they look like a hybrid between VF and Battle Armors (https://e-hentai.org/s/1ede503c8a/1293265-80)