The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am Anyone here can detail me on why did Mospeada specifically was chosen for Robotech? I understand that there were some problem with Orguss' licenses, but did Studio Nue just picked Mospeada, another of their properties, out of the blue. [...]
Harmony Gold was just licensing robot anime, and Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA were just what Tatsunoko Production had on offer at the time. It wasn't until after they'd already begun to produce a less-extreme localization of Macross that they discovered that Revell (yes, the model train people) had already imported Macross model kits in the west as part of a toy line branded "Robotech" that was a quick-and-dirty knockoff of Hasbro and Takara-Tomy's Transformers made using the robot model kits they were importing. Revell did some arm twisting to get brought onboard and pushed for HG's staff to make Macross long enough for first-run syndication, resulting in them splicing together three different mecha anime to make it past the 65 episode minimum... and thus, Robotech as we know it was born.

So, in short, the answer is "because it's what they had".

They licensed the shows from Tatsunoko, so Orguss was out of the question because Tatsunoko didn't work on that one. Studio Nue, for their part, had nothing whatsoever to do with Southern Cross and MOSPEADA. Those shows were both developed by Tatsunoko, in partnership Ammonite and Artmic respectively. Southern Cross got the Super Dimension moniker because Big West sponsored it.

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am Was there any serious consideration to the plotline of Robotech (or, to be more specifically, was the script for Robotech written after all three original series had been licensed; or did they wrote the 1st generation, gott Orguss license, wrote the 2nd generation, got Mospeada license, and wrote the 3rd generation.) [...]
Based on remarks by people who worked on the Robotech adaptation/localization, the answer would be "No". They were doing rough translations and rewriting on the fly... essentially making up the story as they went. The scripts were written after all three shows (Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA) were licensed and Revell had poked its oar in and effectively shot down releasing them individually as standalone shows.

Harmony Gold USA has never had a license for Orguss.

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am Also, why was Satelight formed?
Because their predecessor company, DMG Mori BUG Co. of Sapporo, partnered with production house Group Tac Co. to work on a computer-animated series called Bit the Cupid in 1993. The success of the Bit the Cupid series prompted further forays into animation with Group Tac including Shoji Kawamori's 1996 feature Ihatov Fantasy: Kenji's Spring, culminating in DMG Mori BUG Co. deciding to formally establish their own production studio: Satelight. (Which is a contrived acronym of Sapporo Animation Technology Entertainment.)

DMG Mori BUG Co. spun them off as an independent operation in 2001, and they're current majority owner is Sankyo Corp., who makes pachinko machines.

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am Who were the founder?
DMG Mori BUG Co., officially.

Arguably Shoji Kawamori could count, since he was involved in the project that prompted Satelight to be established as a separate enterprise from DMG Mori BUG (Ihatov Fantasy: Kenji's Spring) and he also directed and wrote the first series Satelight did as an independent company (Earth Girl Arjuna). He formally joined the company in 2003.

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am And why did Kawamori leave Nue for Satelight?
These days, Studio Nue exists mainly as a holding company for the Macross rights.

He'd already done a lot of work with Satelight, even before it was its own company, and they invited him to take more direct control over operations... which gave him a platform for Macross and non-Macross ideas alike.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
pirx

False Prophet wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:56 pm Also, who is this Chris you guys are talking about?
Owner and main contributor of the MAHQ site to which this forum is attached to.
Creator of GUNDAMN! podcast.
Arbiter GUNDAM

pirx wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:06 am
False Prophet wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:56 pm Also, who is this Chris you guys are talking about?
Owner and main contributor of the MAHQ site to which this forum is attached to.
Creator of GUNDAMN! podcast.
Actually Soul Bro and Neo created Gundamn! Chris joined up in Episode 4 IIRC and that's when it became Gundamn!@MAHQ

Also, it was announced that, along with Passionate Walkure's premier in MX4D today, that they will be screening Macross Frontier: The False Songstress in MX4D as well. Here's hoping that we get the other movie and maybe even DYRL as well.

http://moca-news.net/article/20180511/2 ... 3100a_/01/
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
False Prophet

Is there anyone like me feel both dread and hope to a new Satelight show being announced? It is not unlike crossing fingers before a new Windows release - there was almost equal chance to be good or suck. And it was usually the latter part of the show when the quality began to drop: Basquash, Shugo Chara, etc. Even Symphogear, while always dumb, has been getting boring lately.

Anyway, why did Haruhiko Mikimoto stopped designing so soon? And where is Kazutaka Miyatake lately?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:09 pm Is there anyone like me feel both dread and hope to a new Satelight show being announced? It is not unlike crossing fingers before a new Windows release - there was almost equal chance to be good or suck. And it was usually the latter part of the show when the quality began to drop: Basquash, Shugo Chara, etc. Even Symphogear, while always dumb, has been getting boring lately.
Not in my case. They're no more hit-and-miss than any other studio, IMO.

False Prophet wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:09 pm Anyway, why did Haruhiko Mikimoto stopped designing so soon?
He didn't, he just branched out a bit. He does illustrations for novels, video games, anime, and manga. He was doing Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel for like a decade.

False Prophet wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:09 pm And where is Kazutaka Miyatake lately?
Doing a lot of conceptual design work in the anime industry.

Last title I heard he was working on was Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution, the first part of which premiered last September.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution - is that a retelling of the series as several movies with changed story and completely new animation a la Evangelion: Rebuild?
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 am Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution - is that a retelling of the series as several movies with changed story and completely new animation a la Evangelion: Rebuild?
I guess? ANN's listing for it isn't exactly clear, and since I found Eureka Seven to be only marginally less unpleasant than unanesthetized dental surgery it's not a title that's been on my radar.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 pm
pirx wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 am We can always hope for the next series. I hope that after summer new information will appear.
Yup... but so far, no news of the new series besides the fact that the project exists and is planned to debut this year.
I think there was one news bit about new series - that Sheryl will have a comeback. I recall reading about that somewhere.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 am I think there was one news bit about new series - that Sheryl will have a comeback. I recall reading about that somewhere.
There haven't been any content-related announcements about the new series to date that I'm aware of...

It's possible you're thinking of last year's announcement of a new Sheryl Nome music video that was done as a part of Macross's 35th Anniversary festivities... that was the music video for the song Gorgeous that was publicly debuted back in March 2017 (the Arabian/genie-themed one).
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Ehhh... i think i recall now - some fan wiki again. They obviously used images from that video.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:05 am Ehhh... i think i recall now - some fan wiki again. They obviously used images from that video.
Seems like there are a lot of unfounded rumors doing the rounds about such and such a character from an older show coming back...

Admittedly, Variable Fighter Master File at least suggests Sheryl Nome is still active as an idol into the 2060s, which is something considering the short career lifespan of the typical idol. It'd be a lot more reasonable to bring her back, being arguably Macross's most popular leading lady (who still pops onto the Newtype Top 10 from time to time even 10 years after her series), than it would someone who's in their forties, fifties, or eighties.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

http://is2.4chan.org/a/1530358815500.jpg

So is there any other butchered dub/sub of Macross that I should be aware of?

(Also, Kaiba, a personal question: When exactly did you get into Macross? When was the fandom back then? Was there any different between the merchandises of then (models, DVD, etc.) and now?)

(And here is some more information about the show in the picture: http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2008/03/d ... frank.html)
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am So is there any other butchered dub/sub of Macross that I should be aware of?
Well, as far as official butchered dub/sub jobs for Macross go the list is rather short because so few titles made it across the pond before Harmony Gold USA decided to start blocking all Macross distribution. You'll find the vast majority of them come from Harmony Gold in one way or another anyway.

Many Macross fans would be inclined to point to Harmony Gold USA's pet project turned industry laughingstock Robotech as the most prominent example of a bad dub, and arguably the codifying example of the Macekre: the localization so badly executed that it becomes a mockery of the original work. Another, more obscure example made during that same period was Harmony Gold USA's non-adapted dub of Macross. Prior to their getting involved in salvaging Revell's shitty Transformers knockoff, Harmony Gold tried to do a more or less straight dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross (at least by their painfully low standards) and completed about three episodes when they changed gears to make the "original" Robotech series instead. Completing Macek and Harmony Gold USA's hilarious hat trick of incredible incompetence is the VHS release of Robotech done by Carl Macek's Streamline Pictures. Promoted under the amusing misnomer "The Perfect Collection", the tapes had both the Robotech TV edited and dubbed episodes and their corresponding uncut Japanese versions with subtitles. The two problems the Perfect Collection had were that it was canceled partway through the series, and that the subtitles were so famously crappy that they bordered on being a Blind Idiot Translation. Streamline and Carl Macek predictably tried to shift the blame for the Perfect Collection's shit-tier quality (even by the standards of the day) to Tatsunoko, claiming that they received poor quality scripts.

Outside of that, there's the Toho-commissioned Hong Kong dub of Macross: Do You Remember Love?. There are two versions of that, one being a straight but hilariously bad dub of the movie and the other being a cut of the film that was made by Celebrity Home Entertainment that was retitled Clash of the Bionoids and had nearly 30 minutes of the film removed.

Some Macross fans would probably also argue that the US Renditions dub of Macross II was a bad dub, as it came out in the early days of accurate dubbing when the practice of rewriting finally died and the OVA was one of the earliest experiments in simultaneous US/Japan releases. The quality is nowhere near as bad as any of the above, but the dub has a few truly lulzy moments like the SHOT5 bartender's terribad Arnold impression and some instances of terribly stilted delivery.

Macross Plus's OVA edition US release has an instance of one episode in an otherwise good dub being a bit on the wonky side. The fourth episode had some issues with the audio tracks and had to be remixed by the sound engineer, resulting in a rather different feel from the original Japanese edition.

Fanmade material is always a bit spotty. Speed subs suck as a rule, though when I was first branching out into fansubs of Macross titles that weren't available in the US I found a really just absolutely abhorrent Blind Idiot Translation of Macross 7. [Central Anime] were the ones who published the torrents, but subtitle script was IIRC some kind of a Hong Kong affair that misspelled and mistranslated names, insistently rendered the song title "Planet Dance" as "Parry Stands", and generally came across as the kind of translation job that could only be done by someone who ate and awful lot of lead paint as a kid. When [Central Anime] released DVD transfers of the series, they did their own subs for it and those are a LOT better.

Other than that, there aren't really any stand-out awful ones that I'm aware of. There are a bunch that hit on some of my pet peeves like translating the wrong rank system or getting key terms translated wrong, but that's just me being anal about correctness and not really their fault since it's usually casual groups rather than fans doing it.

False Prophet wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am (Also, Kaiba, a personal question: When exactly did you get into Macross? When was the fandom back then? Was there any different between the merchandises of then (models, DVD, etc.) and now?)
On a mission to make me feel old, are ya?

My first exposure to real, undiluted Macross came in the form of Macross II: Lovers Again, which I found in my local video rental store back in '99. I'd seen Robotech, having had the tapes loaned to me by a friend who'd taped it off cable (since my luddite parents didn't have cable, and indeed only finally broke down and got it THIS YEAR) and had shared the tapes with me at school. Watching those abused old VHS tapes of Macross II was a real eye-opener for me... and swiftly thereafter I was seeking out literally anything I could find on the series.

My first real hit was the Palladium Books Macross II RPG, which I roped some of the guys from that same friend's Robotech RPG group into trying. Still, we noticed a lot of seemingly incorrect info in the RPG text that got me to thinking about fixing the stats. So I started to look for other materials.

This, right here, was the moment I set foot on the slippery slope.

The more books I obtained, the more questions I had, which led to me seeking out more books. By my freshman year of college, I jumped off the slippery slope entirely after I'd started dating a gal from Nagano who started teaching me the language in a bid to have me make a favorable impression on her parents. After I'd built up basic proficiency, I found an alarming number of my fellow students were willing to PAY for translations of whatever manga or doujinshi they had in their possession, which quickly turned it into a self-sustaining hobby as I improved my proficiency through practice and the money I earned practicing on those translations for my fellow students got funneled back into my Macross hobby leading to MORE practice and improved proficiency that attracted more customers. 30 GOTO 10.

When I first started, it was damn near impossible to find anything because the only places carrying Macross stuff were my local hobby shops that carried model kits imported from Japan. Those kits were frigging expensive, so as a broke-ass kid I couldn't get many of them. Once my hobby achieved critical mass and started paying for itself, things had changed and internet commerce via sites like MacrossWorld, Valkyrie Exchange, Alibris, eBay, and so on made it fairly easy for me to get my hands on most anything provided money was no object. International shipping and the fan headhunters demanded a high price, but thanks to fellow fans selling parts of their collections or bringing stuff back to resell after trips to Japan, I was able to get my hands on most anything I wanted. Around about the time I finished my first Master's Degree, we had stuff like HLJ, HMV, and CDJapan coming onto the scene catering to western buyers of Japanese hobby goods, which drove the prices down and really made hobby goods accessible (made even easier by having moved from providing tech services to small businesses to consulting on government-funded experimental vehicle programs, which even afforded me paid trips to Japan to talk to suppliers via an overly trusting business travel agency that seemingly had no problem with me booking hotels almost within literal spitting distance of Akihabara).
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Thank you, Kaiba. It is always nice to read about how hard anime (Was it really called "Japanimation" then?) fans like you and Mark (he had an interview years ago with GEARS Online) had to try to access their hobbies. I have this strange feeling that we young fans were spoiled too much.

So, can I presume that Carl Macek was not popular amongst Macross fans, even though he was right up there with names like Toren Smith, right?

(Also, can you clarify this things for me: I noticed that a lot of anime fansites in the mid to late 1990s have .utah (or Geocities) in their URL. I asked around, and people only said that Utah then was when most of the anime "nerds" lived. Is this true?)
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am Thank you, Kaiba. It is always nice to read about how hard anime (Was it really called "Japanimation" then?) fans like you and Mark (he had an interview years ago with GEARS Online) had to try to access their hobbies. I have this strange feeling that we young fans were spoiled too much.
Jeez, I'm not that old...

Most of the difficulty level on my part was family-inflicted, really. There was anime available on television, but almost all of it was on cable, so I was kind of shut out of the loop and dependent on my friends to tape shows for me. All the local public access channels carried was heavily edited-for-content versions of Dragonball and Sailor Moon. Around the time I started high school, Cartoon Network relaunched Toonami with the Midnight Run (which, IIRC, later evolved to become [adult swim]) that included anime titles like Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, and Dragonball Z). That's pretty much what convinced the broadcast networks to carry a few shows, so we inevitably had stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, and a few more mature offerings like The Vision of Escaflowne via the Fox 38 affiliate over the border in Canada. Thanks to several dear friends who were willing to record shows for me, and the advent of internet fansubs via torrent a few years later, I was able to trade my skills in PC repair for downloaded fansubs of shows like Full Metal Panic! and Gasaraki from friends who had internet faster than 256k dialup.

I didn't get access to cable or faster internet until college, when I lucked into a private room in the engineering college in a new dorm that was wired for cable AND 10/100 Ethernet. That was right around the time [adult swim] was taking off with Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Good years, those.

Yeah, it really was called "Japanimation" until about the mid-90s. That term's disappearance in favor of "anime" seems to have roughly coincided with the demise of the rewrite dub in favor of the cheaper and more respectful accurate dub.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am So, can I presume that Carl Macek was not popular amongst Macross fans, even though he was right up there with names like Toren Smith, right?
Eh... you're doing Toren Smith a MASSIVE disservice by saying Carl Macek was in his league.

It would be a comical understatement to say that Mr. Macek was NOT held in high esteem by anime hobbyists when he was alive. He's really making out like a bandit on that "Don't speak ill of the dead" thing which, combined with Harmony Gold's borderline hagiography of the man, has resulted in the negative view of him that prevailed while he was relevant and active in the industry being massively downplayed.

Y'see... Carl Macek's nickname in the industry was "The Antichrist of Anime".

Macek's insistence on heavily rewriting and editing the shows that came his way to remove any signs of their Japanese origins (what he called "ethnic gestures"), the poor quality of the ensuing rewrites, and his occasional decision to merge two or more unrelated shows into a single series didn't endear him to the hobbyists who saw animation as an art form. That he was frequently vocally disrespectful of the original shows and their creators didn't help. He liked to refer to the original shows as "flawed" and talk about how inferior they were to his versions. He was also a habitual liar, who made quite a habit of stretching the truth to exaggerate his own artistic credentials. He liked to claim that the creators of the shows he adapted thought his adaptations were superior to their own work, and that their sequels were based more on his versions than the originals. When it came to Robotech, for several years in the 80's and early 90's he made the claim that he was the original creator of the material and that the Japanese studios had merely developed his ideas to fruition. He was still telling many of these lies as recently as 2003, by which point it had been painfully obvious that he was full of it for over a decade and several of Macross's creators had had to publicly refute him.

Sufficed to say, he was a manic self-publicist who wanted to be remembered as anime's Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas, when his achievements were more on the order of anime's Uwe Boll. But, because tradition dictates that you don't speak ill of the dead, he's getting a lot less criticism these days if you don't count that the shorthand for "doing it wrong" in anime localization is "Macekre" (pronounced like "massacre")... meaning a localization so badly done that it has become a mockery of the original work.

(One popular fan theory holds that Macross's creators made the fate of much-loathed SDF Macross moocher Lynn Kaifun into a "Take that" aimed at Carl Macek. Kaifun, who was nothing more than a moocher riding on Minmay's coattails in the original series before she ditched him, moves to the Macross-11 emigrant fleet... an American-themed emigrant ship on which he becomes the manager for Fire Bomber American, an unauthorized Fire Bomber cover band which insists that it is the original Fire Bomber and that Macross-7's Fire Bomber is ripping off their act despite being blatantly obvious as a cover band and debuting after Fire Bomber's first hit single dropped.)

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am (Also, can you clarify this things for me: I noticed that a lot of anime fansites in the mid to late 1990s have .utah (or Geocities) in their URL. I asked around, and people only said that Utah then was when most of the anime "nerds" lived. Is this true?)
On that score, I have no idea. I've never seen a URL containing .utah that wasn't a Utah state government website... and I've always heeded that "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry for Tomorrow you may be in Utah" warning, so I've never actually been there except on layovers on my way to or from California.

What I remember is that the mecca of anime hobbyists was SoCal, around LA. Particularly because that's where many of the distributors were headquartered, and probably because of the proximity to Japantown in the bay area. That's also the current centerpoint for the American Macross fandom. Super Dimension Con (fmrly. MacrossWorldCon) is held every year in Torrance, a suburb of LA.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Wow... So basically Macek was a less-ambitious Donald Trump and less well-known E. L. James at the same time? Damn. Hollywood could make a movie out of him.

(And that thing about Fire Bomber American is really crazy and dumb. What kind of artist is named "Kcool V Realy"?)

Say, on the topic of convention, I actually do not know that there are Macross-dedicated convention, The old and new fans must have been really dedicated to maintain it for so long.

(Mikumo and Freya did performed in Los Angeles last year, right? I did remember seeing the video about one of them asking which Burger joint was the best, and everyone answered "In-and-Out".)
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm Wow... So basically Macek was a less-ambitious Donald Trump and less well-known E. L. James at the same time? Damn. Hollywood could make a movie out of him.
Kinda, yeah. He was a blowhard who was nowhere near as good at his job as he liked to think he was, and when he failed it was always someone else's fault.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm(And that thing about Fire Bomber American is really crazy and dumb. What kind of artist is named "Kcool V Realy"?)
Have you looked at what passes for artist stage names these days? "Kcool V Realy" looks positively sane compared to what rap and hip-hop are producing on a weekly basis.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm Say, on the topic of convention, I actually do not know that there are Macross-dedicated convention, The old and new fans must have been really dedicated to maintain it for so long.
https://www.facebook.com/events/205355943354013/

This year's Super Dimension Convention falls on Saturday, 15 September at the Torrance Cultural Arts Center in Torrance, CA. I've only been going for a couple years, since until recently it always ended up opposite a major SAE-IEC interoperability conference at one of the national laboratories (usually Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois). It's a fun little con, with a couple thousand attendees, an exhibit of Macross collectibles, vendor hall, karaoke, cosplay contest, panels, and a short Mari Iijima concert.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm (Mikumo and Freya did performed in Los Angeles last year, right? I did remember seeing the video about one of them asking which Burger joint was the best, and everyone answered "In-and-Out".)
As a midwesterner, I must express my outrage on behalf of the One True Burger Joint: Culver's. :P
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:07 pm Have you looked at what passes for artist stage names these days? "Kcool V Realy" looks positively sane compared to what rap and hip-hop are producing on a weekly basis.
Gangsters moonlighting as rappers is still a thing in America, right?

Anyway, were Macross Plus and Macross 7 brought to the States in sub/dub when they were originally aired? I talked to some really old guys, and they confessed that in the old days, there were a number of series you have to watch to be considered a fan - Cowboy Bebop, Ranma 1/2, etc. Many had Wing Gundam and Evangelion on their lists, but not once had I heard about Macross (some considered Robotech to be their gateway series, however.)
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am Gangsters moonlighting as rappers is still a thing in America, right?
I'd question the usage of the word "gangster", since the typical example looks more like the middle class kid who got blackout drunk at his first college party and woke up with all kinds of stuff drawn on him in sharpie, but yes. Soundcloud rappers in particular seem to be in some kind of contest to look like a cross between a male version of Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad, an overused Doodle Bear toy, and a chihuahua with mange.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am Anyway, were Macross Plus and Macross 7 brought to the States in sub/dub when they were originally aired?
Macross Plus was brought over as a direct-to-video release, being a four episode OVA. The later movie edition got the same direct-to-video treatment. They did dub the Macross Plus OVA. It's a rather well-known dub, considering Isamu is played by none other than Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston.

Macross 7 never made it stateside. The music rights were just too expensive, with Japan Victor asking licensees to obtain the rights to the entire Fire Bomber catalog rather than just the music used in the series. That priced the show WAY outside the means of what any distributor at the time had, cash-wise.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am I talked to some really old guys, and they confessed that in the old days, there were a number of series you have to watch to be considered a fan - Cowboy Bebop, Ranma 1/2, etc. Many had Wing Gundam and Evangelion on their lists, but not once had I heard about Macross (some considered Robotech to be their gateway series, however.)
Yeah, there were a bunch of shows that the oldest of the otaku used to consider required viewing for true anime enthusiast status. Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 were almost inevitably on anyone's list of The Greats, often accompanied by Lupin III, Tenchi Muyo!, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Dragon Ball, Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis, Fist of the North Star, Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water, Dirty Pair, etc. Once you got to the late 90's, that list became dominated by offerings like Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis Evangelion (which I still maintain is monstrously overrated trash), Slayers, Sorcerer Hunters, Martian Successor Nadesico, Oh! My Goddess, Cowboy Bebop, Initial D, Trigun, The Big O, Excel Saga, and Great Teacher Onizuka.

The older otaku will often cite Robotech as a gateway to the mecha genre, but by '92 Robotech had kind of worn out its welcome. Rewrites had been a thing in part because it was felt that audiences in the west wouldn't "get" Japanese cultural references or might not be able to relate to the Japanese main characters. Increased exposure to the media as the industry created increased familiarity with Japanese cultural references, leading to increased demand for this media in as close to an unaltered state as it was possible to get it in. Rewrites were out of fashion, and as a rewrite that hadn't really managed to build a narrative for itself beyond its source material Robotech was less interesting than the possibility of a look at the unedited originals. Hobby magazine coverage of Macross releases in Japan (particularly Macross II) couldn't seem to resist taking shots at Robotech, and even reviews of releases like Robotech's Perfect Collection all but ignored that the Robotech edits of the episodes were on those tapes alongside the unedited originals.

Macross, unfortunately, was kind of left as a "Flavor of the Week" sort of franchise in the American and Canadian hobby press. The lack of any new TV series making it to the west meant that there wasn't really a lot to talk about. The magazines used up their Macross II material in a few months, and that was it... same for Macross Plus. They just didn't have the public awareness staying power of a series that was readily available. A lot of movies that many would consider the work of an auteur creator or iconic of a particular era now, like Five Star Stories, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, Space Runaway Ideon, Princess Tutu, or Gensoumaden Saiyuki fell into that category.

Honestly, I think the title that can really be credited with building western awareness of Macross is the Macross Frontier series. Thanks to the easy availability of fansubs and the show's explosive popularity in Japan, it was a difficult show to ignore and ended up one of the most-pirated anime titles of 2008... not an accolade its creators were proud of, I'm sure, but all those other awards probably consoled them. That acted as a gateway to the rest of Macross via its in-jokes and references to other shows, which made people pursue other series.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, who gave U.S. Renditions the idea of making Robotech music videos? Had Macek had any hand in it?

Also, would you blame Kevin Seymour for Macross Plus' dubbing quality?