The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

That is pretty hilarious, actually. Given that his name is Hayate Immelmann, and that he ended up pulling, essentially, an even tighter version of the aerobatic maneuver of the same name(second image on the linked wiki page).
It was pretty entertaining watching him fail as hard as he did the first time he went up in the air though - kinda refreshing to see a main character pilot genuinely suck his first time flying. Of course, I doubt that's gonna last much, if at all, past this episode.

Fun stuff overall, and I can't wait for next episode.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
pirx

Given that Kawamori is an aviation buff, it is understandable and i think Hayato's last name is not a coincidence. There are some more:

Messer is short for "Messerschmitt" (German fighter plane) is nickname given to German planes during WWII, especially on Soviet side. His last name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Ihlefeld
Another famous aviator.
Messer also means "knife" in German.

Keith Aero Windermere - too obvious.

Arad Mölders could be a reference to this guy, another aviator:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_M%C3%B6lders

Prowler and Buccaneer - those are obvious, i think.
Amion

So, I finally pushed myself through episode one (and part of two). :oops:

Watching the magichologrampixiemechaballorinas one of the girls. . . created? . . . produced in me a sense of utter revulsion as the first time I saw it. Vivid flashbacks of Gyrozetter returned to haunt me. I endured a very intense inner struggle demanding I do one of two things: keep watching and laugh at the stupidity, and hope the even worse song ends before it tarnishes my soul further, or turn off the computer, possibly via intense kinetic force.

As promised, I resisted the second option and watched my way to the end of the episode. My eyes are now sullied and degraded, and feel like they need to be ripped out and purified at high temperatures before reinsertion. But I have done it!

To my everlasting surprise, my internal conflict (so disgustingly parallel to this Vars virus that it frightens me) vanished the instant Song #2 started playing. I love beats like that, and found myself resisting the urge to dance along.

And I must say, that scene with the poor Zentradi soldier's face healing was truly emotional. For one moment I sympathized with the infected to realize just how relieved he must have been to hear that Walkure's voice. *Sheds tear*

Am I disgusted to realize a single measly song changed my self-induced torture into childish (And in some ways not so) enjoyment? Do I realize how utterly ironic this transition is in relevance to the whole premise of this story? You betcha to both. And it made the experience better than I could have hoped, and to a tune I intend to listen to until I get sick of it.

There were hiccups, ahem, along the way. That flying in the sky scene would have really grabbed me. So why did they have to give us nude bishounen animation to go with it, may I ask? Yes, yes, females need fanservice too, but like that? Keep the creepy Newtype phenomenon in Zeta, where it's more eerie and consistent. I might not have minded elsewhere, but the scene helped ruin my already tenuous grip on enjoyment of the episode. My poor eyes didn't want to see that. :x

Second note, while I have no trouble with the Skittles Squadron pilots popping up with some more conventional means of terrorism/war, I found their glowing star hair to be. . . a bit too much. Apparently this is a thing for their species. Exactly what are they called again?

Lastly, I found the actual mecha fights a bit jarring when they went in solo. It surprised me how the coordinated battle alongside the Walkure girls was more fluid and enjoyable compared to the dogfighting. I had not been expecting to walk away saying the mecha-only fights were less fun to watch.

In the end, Delta now feels and is being viewed in my mind as a Magic Girl story that just happens to have mecha in it. This may not be how I'm supposed to think. Oh well. At any rate, I am actually looking forward to viewing episode two. Will I enjoy it? Or am I about to go blind?

There is, unfortunately, only one way to find out. . .
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
zetatype

Skipping classes and vomitting in your insturctors face, and I thought Hikaru and Misa got off to a rocky start.

Hayate is a lot more cocky than I thought he'd be though at least its more entertaining than irritating and by the end its seems he's been humbled a little bit. Despite her uptight attitude I'm liking Mirage though I wonder if her attitude is due to having to live up to the family name.

Good to see the old VF-1 in action again and overall a pretty decent showdown between Hayate and Mirage. Hayate manages to pass his test, but he's still got a ways to go before he can fly as good as he can dance.
Iris Scope

Whoa there! Mirage just got the Hayate Immelmann stamp of approval...IN YO FACE!!!! :lol: Scrub all you want, that smell ain't leaving for at least a few days. :P

Makina and Reina living together in their own quarters, you writers are pulling all the stops at making our yuri dreams come true, at least I hope so. :mrgreen:

I now accept that Mikumo's lack of emotional support for Freyja the rookie constitutes traditional hazing instead of some whacked out theory of mine that Mikumo has a direct line with the Aerial Knights...for now until I get proven wrong.
Dark Duel

So after being exceedingly irritated by the way-beyond-lazy-clearly-not-giving-a-f*** editing of Unicorn Ep3, I decided to rewatch this, and noticed something that I had paid absolutely no attention to when watching it last night, and that's the particular VF-1 variant these "VF-1EX" were modified from. Judging from Hayate's at least, they appear to be modified VF-1Js...which makes the already glaringly obvious parallel they were going for even more obvious. And also awesome.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:So after being exceedingly irritated by the way-beyond-lazy-clearly-not-giving-a-f*** editing of Unicorn Ep3, I decided to rewatch this, and noticed something that I had paid absolutely no attention to when watching it last night, and that's the particular VF-1 variant these "VF-1EX" were modified from. Judging from Hayate's at least, they appear to be modified VF-1Js...which makes the already glaringly obvious parallel they were going for even more obvious. And also awesome.
Yup. As I mentioned earlier it was easy to tell Hayate's when he ultimately got into battroid mode, but Mirage never went beyond GERWALK, so this shot seems to be the best evidence that her VF-1 was once a J model too. The giveaway of course is in the folded up head. It's not an A model as it had a single gun on the top of its head, and I don't see a quad of guns there for an S model. That leaves the J model head.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Yup.
Aside: I'd completely missed your earlier comment about the VF-1EX being apparently based on the VF-1J - my bad. I ended up pulling up the MAHQ profile for the VF-1 and comparing each variant to Hayate's -1EX Battroid mode, but in the case of Mirage's unit, I came to the same conclusion you did in exactly the same way.
I do find it kinda interesting that there doesn't appear to be any real reason for each individual member of Delta Squadron piloting a different variant of the -31 - well, apart from, obviously, Arad's VF-31S. I seem to recall the yellow -31E having what looked a lot like a sensor radome on its back at some point, so there's also that one. But I dunno, I don't really see the need for each of the other three to be an entirely separate variant.
Admittedly, that I can tell the only difference from one to the next seems to be the head, but w/e.

What really amuses me about this though is this: The -31S has the same quad-gun setup on the battroid head that the VF-1S did - assuming those are guns like on the -1 and not just antennae; either way, point is the -31S and -1S match up. But out of the other four, the -31J is literally the only one to not have the same two gun/antenna setup as the old VF-1J. (Instead, it has a VF-1A-style single, central antenna/gun). Dunno why that amuses me, it just does.

The other thing I want to mention is that I keep going back and watching that clip from Ep3 over and over again. For two reasons. One of which is just the chance to see the VF-1 in action again.
The second reason is the song Frejya-chan sings during that scene, which is incredibly freakin' catchy - as in, "I'm whistling it right now as I'm typing this post" catchy. AT LEAST as much of an Ear Worm as Ikenai Borderline.
I've been poking around, and the title for said song appears to be 僕らの戦場(Bokura no Senjō), at least from what I'm finding.
Of course I keep doing the same thing with Episode 1 over and over, for two reasons
1. Ikenai Borderline
2. Breakdancing VF-171.
But yeah. Bottom line is, I'm loving the show so far.

pirx

Who is this "lord Heinz" fellow and what about his health? Is he sick with some exotic strain of Var and thus he sings uncaring that his (that was he in ep 1 singing, at least sounds so) singing makes people go berserk? Nature of his sickness is unclear.
Aerial Knights got pulled back with "no matter, we achieved our objective".
... what was their objective? Make some Zentraedi on Alshahal go nuts? Destroy some NUNS cruisers and VFs?
Not much of an objective.
Also Freya - is she truly some daughter of poor farmer (sounds like made up story) or Windermere royalty on the run actually?
She might be related to Heinz.
Dark Duel

My guess would be that their objective was probably to get/record data on Walküre and/or Delta Squadron specifically. That is, at this point, just a guess, and I have no idea what their ultimate objective might be.

yazi88

I wonder if the Draken even has a Battroid mode... you think it would've been shown in the OP, but then again, the Lucifer from Macross Frontier's OP never showed the battroid mode either...
Iris Scope

I found this out through Wiki so don't know if it's really true but apparently Lord Heinz is voiced by Yuka Terasaki aka Kudelia Aina Bernstein from Gundam IBO. Makes me really regret putting off that show after the third episode. :(
Arbiter GUNDAM

yazi88 wrote:I wonder if the Draken even has a Battroid mode... you think it would've been shown in the OP, but then again, the Lucifer from Macross Frontier's OP never showed the battroid mode either...
I'm pretty sure it does, the official site has a listing for battroid although it's greyed-out right now.

Also, with just a few hours to go until episode 4 the official site has some preview photos and description. I'd give you Google's mangled version of it... heh, no I wouldn't. Seems Hayate, Freyja, Walkure and Delta Squad are headed to the planet Randall for a "Vaccination Concert."
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
yazi88

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
yazi88 wrote:I wonder if the Draken even has a Battroid mode... you think it would've been shown in the OP, but then again, the Lucifer from Macross Frontier's OP never showed the battroid mode either...
I'm pretty sure it does, the official site has a listing for battroid although it's greyed-out right now
Oh, I didn't know that, thank you.
Arbiter GUNDAM

And the stakes are raised yet again this episode. Two words: Draken. Transformation. (squees internally)

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Heh, Sharon got BTFO.

Interesting bit about Windmerians only living to 30. Explains why Freyja was being pressured into marriage.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

So now that the subs are out, some things I noticed--
Spoiler
1. What is this Brisingir Alliance or whatever that Roid mentions?
2. Seems the Windemereans didn't invade Ragna but some other planet... sounded like Cpt. Johnson said Vordor or Voldor or something.
3. What is it that they're hoping to gain from this war, I wonder? in a previous episode it was already mentioned that there was a war of independence or somesuch on Windemere so is this just extreme xenophobia? something else? i suppose we'll find out.

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:And the stakes are raised yet again this episode. Two words: Draken. Transformation. (squees internally)
She's actually got two engine ports in the one nacele. I was wondering how they'd pull that off from a single engine plane design.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Heh, Sharon got BTFO.
Yeah, being left off the greatest hits list like that is a bit of a blow, though one can't entirely blame the Sisterhood for wanting her not included in history.
Interesting bit about Windmerians only living to 30. Explains why Freyja was being pressured into marriage.
True, and it might explain why the young master is a little sickly.

In any case, it's back to Valk on Valk violence as the mainstay which we have not had since 7 and I suppose Zero as well. Lately it had been VFs vs. aliens. Now it's an outright civil war which humanity has not had since its near extinction more than a half century earlier. I suppose we'll find out eventually why the Windmere are doing this, but for now we can only guess, though we did see how they manage to pull off a Var shake-up across light years of distance here.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
excalibur2008

Wingnut wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Heh, Sharon got BTFO.
Yeah, being left off the greatest hits list like that is a bit of a blow, though one can't entirely blame the Sisterhood for wanting her not included in history.
I wonder if there is a little embarrassment that in the Macross future the dark AI overlord there nearly took over the universe wasn't a military AI like a lot of fiction seems to think it would be, but was instead an AI Idol singer?
Destiny_Gundam

This is going to sound weird coming from me, but I don't get much of a romantic vibe from Freyja and Hayate. There is some nice chemistry between them but they come off more like siblings rather than potential lovers.

Nice to see the crowds finding Freyja endearing despite her mistakes. I just hope no one starts being mean to her now because of her race.

So far as sub-pairings go Kaname/Arad seems obvious, but I think she might get a thing with Messer. Their interactions give off a "you act cold but I can see right through you" vibe that's a common basis for a ship.

Before I said Kaname would be the first Wulkure to die since she's the obligatory big sister character but I think she'll be okay since she also doubles as a bridge bunny. And bridge bunnies are immortal (except in Robotech).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."