The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

I don't like the eureka 7 character design BUT it might grow on me

I do not like that it is UC since I am afraid they will mess it up but who knows

I just hope I am able to watch this series because Gundam Age has been the first gundam series that I stopped watching because it bored me
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
HellCat

The UC angle is what intrigues me. I've long since made peace with the idea Turn A might be the far future for said timeline, partly out of respect for the idea Tomino planned it as him getting the final word as a bookend for the franchise. Obviously that didn't happen but I think it's time to go forward in the UC and do something new. Gundam media is swimming in OYW rehash and similar, so the idea that Reco will be as different to established UC as said timeline is to our present has potential.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
battletech

HellCat wrote:The UC angle is what intrigues me. I've long since made peace with the idea Turn A might be the far future for said timeline, partly out of respect for the idea Tomino planned it as him getting the final word as a bookend for the franchise. Obviously that didn't happen but I think it's time to go forward in the UC and do something new. Gundam media is swimming in OYW rehash and similar, so the idea that Reco will be as different to established UC as said timeline is to our present has potential.

What you said made me think this show is like an F91 retry. If I remember correctly F91 was meant to be a Gundam Universal Century revival without OYW connections. Lets hope this show does better.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Raikoh

battletech wrote:What you said made me think this show is like an F91 retry. If I remember correctly F91 was meant to be a Gundam Universal Century revival without OYW connections. Lets hope this show does better.
What was wrong with F91? Yeah, it wasn't great but it did directly lead into Crossbone, which was great. And Victory, which... Completely split the fanbase into thirds of "great," "awful," and "meh." Late UC was, after all, its own thing that could've easily been called a different continuity.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
battletech

Raikoh wrote:
battletech wrote:What you said made me think this show is like an F91 retry. If I remember correctly F91 was meant to be a Gundam Universal Century revival without OYW connections. Lets hope this show does better.
What was wrong with F91? Yeah, it wasn't great but it did directly lead into Crossbone, which was great. And Victory, which... Completely split the fanbase into thirds of "great," "awful," and "meh." Late UC was, after all, its own thing that could've easily been called a different continuity.
Oh nothing wrong with F91. I love it and Victory. I just hope this series doesn't becomes just a movie like F91. I think F91 would have been my favorite UC series if the series had not been canceled. The movie was good but it just made me want a whole series. My big giant insane dream is that F91 would be looked at again and be created into a complete series. Maybe even be so successful that Crossbone becomes a series.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
monster

F91 is among my least enjoyable Gundam shows, and I don't know if a TV series format would've improved it.

That said, I am uncertain if this new show is anything like F91. Hopefully, it wouldn't be.
HellCat

I personally feel F91's failings come from the fact they shoehorned several episodes of plot into a movie instead. I think given a full year long TV run and finished materal it could have stood up alot better. Case in point, the stuff with Cecily's mother returning feels like something that would have happened near the end of a TV run.

Haven't really read Crossbone but in general it feels overrated and I'm not a fan of the art.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Mythgarr

Crossbone is a manga, and a gundam manga tends to do some over the top things, like gundams that fell through atmosphere WITHOUT assisting equipment, Newtype that can extrapolate vehicular route in space using ONLY HIS BRAIN, hijacking of mobile suit using only machine gun, and nuclear powered multiple mobile armors that are piloted by clones of the big boss!

Crossbone Gundams are some of my favourite gundam design :)
Visit The Dreams
Amion

HellCat wrote:I personally feel F91's failings come from the fact they shoehorned several episodes of plot into a movie instead. I think given a full year long TV run and finished materal it could have stood up alot better. Case in point, the stuff with Cecily's mother returning feels like something that would have happened near the end of a TV run.

Haven't really read Crossbone but in general it feels overrated and I'm not a fan of the art.
Watch your mouth! I'll have you know I thought and probably said the same things myself up until around a year ago or so. Now it's my favorite Gundam work outside of MSG and Zeta. Don't judge it by it's artwork.

Also what Mythgarr wrote...didn't they use beam shields to enter the atmosphere? Katejina specifically and several other machines and ships can do this in V. It makes sense that a machine like the Crossbone can do it.

And I am calling that a person's brain plotting a course trajectory is far more believable that asteroid diverting rainbow magic. :D

We had twelve or so Ple clones, so why can't Kagati make clones of himself? Can't say much about the multiple mobile armors though.

Ok, I'm done.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Raikoh

In terms of Crossbone, even if the human figures are an acquired taste, the Mobile Suit art is absolutely splendid.

Not to mention you won't find any Gundam series like it. The plot, visual design, and themes are very unique with probably one of the best takes on "Newtypes are no better than Oldtypes" that's been in Gundam.

Technology can be silly, but if you're going to call BS on something like the Crossbone entering the atmosphere with a beam shield (which was the explanation, since I know that they decided to do the reverse and use a beam shield to EXIT the atmosphere later on) yet over fifty years ago (54 to be exact), they had mobile suits that could enter the atmosphere without need for support (RX-78-2).

Oh, and Tobia is probably the most badass main character in Gundam EVER (link has foul language and spoilers be warned). Kincaid is also one of my favorite Gundam pilots (which is ironic since I find Seabook bland as unsalted crackers).
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Zeonista

It seems what some members have been saying is that it is fun to read Crossbone Gundam because the mecha and characters come directly from Tomino-sama himself, unfiltered by Sunrise or Bamco in any way for a TV production. There is definitely something in that appeal. :) It would be nice if G no Reconguista could have more of Tomino's actual work and less interference from the corporate side of things. Seeing as how Bamco has gotten better at managing their Japanese properties over the years, I am hoping a little that this time they let their foremost creator have a little more room to run. It's quite alright to mess with the formula a little to get a good story with a little freshness, right?
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

Zeonista wrote:It seems what some members have been saying is that it is fun to read Crossbone Gundam because the mecha and characters come directly from Tomino-sama himself, unfiltered by Sunrise or Bamco in any way for a TV production. There is definitely something in that appeal. :) It would be nice if G no Reconguista could have more of Tomino's actual work and less interference from the corporate side of things. Seeing as how Bamco has gotten better at managing their Japanese properties over the years, I am hoping a little that this time they let their foremost creator have a little more room to run. It's quite alright to mess with the formula a little to get a good story with a little freshness, right?
Listen you fool! There are some things a grand cooperation like Bamco cannot lose control of! Think of the money, always follow the money. If we let that wild wizard go, he'd kill all the moneymaking characters! Or put the V-fin somewhere inappropriate, or not include HARO!!!! It would be disaster. Just look at Turn A, that was no moneymaker for the gunpla! Absolute supervision is a must to maintain the quality, the charts at headquarters say so!! So there, now go meditate upon this!
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Zeonista

Amion wrote:
HellCat wrote:I personally feel F91's failings come from the fact they shoehorned several episodes of plot into a movie instead. I think given a full year long TV run and finished materal it could have stood up alot better. Case in point, the stuff with Cecily's mother returning feels like something that would have happened near the end of a TV run.

Watch your mouth! I'll have you know I thought and probably said the same things myself up until around a year ago or so. Now it's my favorite Gundam work outside of MSG and Zeta. Don't judge it by it's artwork.

Also what Mythgarr wrote...didn't they use beam shields to enter the atmosphere? Katejina specifically and several other machines and ships can do this in V. It makes sense that a machine like the Crossbone can do it.

And I am calling that a person's brain plotting a course trajectory is far more believable that asteroid diverting rainbow magic. :D

We had twelve or so Ple clones, so why can't Kagati make clones of himself? Can't say much about the multiple mobile armors though.

Ok, I'm done.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That probably sums it up from the Corporate side. They have to bring Great Director Tomino under control, or else he will go for some crazy creative story and not leave them any profit margin! :shock:
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Ceiling_Squid

HellCat wrote:
Deacon seems to think so, last I heard, and he was one of the guys who brought Crossbone's scanlations over here. There's a distinct sense of disappointment and jadedness whenever he brings it up, at least. Which I think is sad, because I was very glad to have been able to read it. I enjoyed the hell out of it when I read it, rather than being let down.

It's not what people expect from Gundam, thematically-speaking, and probably doesn't fully live up to it's legendary status among the fanbase (especially for those who haven't read it yet), but I think its fun. It's a bit wacky and very black and white in its heroes and villains, but I think it's got a lot of charm and heart. I suggest you give it a look, just to see what it's all about.

As far as the story goes, however, they've got some remarkably dark motives and customs for their Jovian villains (explaining a lot of Scirocco's megalomania, that's for sure!), and a pretty upbeat, badass young protagonist. And pirates, gotta have pirates. I hate the character art, but the entertaining crazy mecha designs and the action more than makes up for it.

It's decidedly a largely-unfiltered Tomino brainchild, so take that as a negative or positive. I hope that Reconquista in G is a project along the same lines. It'd be nice if there were some callbacks to UC (to better justify its placement in the same setting, and to set up the action), but once they've dispensed with that I'd like something a little out of the norm. We could stand some more tonal variety in the timeline.
Dark Duel

On the subject of F91 and Crossbone, I have only read bits and pieces of the latter, so I can't comment. But I did really, really like what I read, and the F97s/Crossbone Gundams are pretty awesome designs.
As for F91, I really liked it as well, but its troubled production history means that the finished product does not come across to me as a finished product; it feels incredibly rushed, and ends on a rather irritating cliffhanger. But I do like it a lot, and the F91 itself is one of my personal favorite Gundam designs.
tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:I don't like the eureka 7 character design BUT it might grow on me

I do not like that it is UC since I am afraid they will mess it up but who knows

I just hope I am able to watch this series because Gundam Age has been the first gundam series that I stopped watching because it bored me
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the character designs either, but that doesn't bug me too much beyond that unbelievably creepy vibe I get from the apparent main character every time he smiles in the trailer. He reminds me far too much of Anemone in her more psychopathic moments in Eureka Seven.
I'm substantially more bothered by the design of the Gundam itself, which looks way too weird for me. Perhaps it'll grow on me once it airs, and you have to admit, just judging from the trailer there's a lot of potential.

If G-Saviour being set 50 years or so after V didn't bother me (which it didn't, apart from the odd apparent return to full-size MS - I was much, much more bothered by the truly awful quality of the CGI and the mediocre writing and acting, but that's to be expected from that kind of production. Even the mech designs, IMO, were pretty cool in and of themselves), I really don't think this series being in the Universal Century as well is going to bother me, as long as it is far enough into the future relative to V that it doesn't substantially interfere with previously-established works.

As for AGE...I dropped it too, but not because it bored me. I dropped it because I absolutely HATED Kio, and the series got horribly annoying once he turned up, IMO.

Anyway, I'll definitely at least give this a shot, see how I like it.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

People, enough with the Crossbone. This isn't the thread for that. If you all want to discuss Crossbone at length, create a thread for it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
phillosmaster

Man I read the first page of this thread and I was gonna cry. I was starting to feel like I was the only one who liked King Gainer, but then Mu came to the rescue and defended it. Thanks Mu for being a bro.

I thought I'd throw up a link the the official website. I didn't see it anywhere in here yet. Not much up there yet:

http://www.g-reco.net/
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
monster

phillosmaster wrote:I thought I'd throw up a link the the official website. I didn't see it anywhere in here yet. Not much up there yet:

http://www.g-reco.net/
Goodness, the main character really does have a big mouth. I think it's funny. :)
Compass

Looks like uncannily Truth from E7AO

http://static.zerochan.net/Truth.full.1197188.jpg

That Gundam also looks ... eerily familiar.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Dark Duel

Aestehetically, some aspects of its design to me are very vaguely reminescent of the Testament Gundam
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."