The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
GNRoyalFlash24

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

Deus257 wrote:Given what little information has been given so far and since it is confirmed to be set in the same reality as U.C. does anyone else think there may have been a regression in regards to military tech? I mean they have space elevators but I noticed the MS don't have Beam Shields. Could this mean that there is little conflict I the far future of U.C.?
We could hypothesize that, a. Reconguista's place in the UC timeline could be set in a period that saw genuine peace for sometime that some of the innovations in mobile suit technology were shelved; b. it is set after Turn A hence the term "Reguild Century" which could be a combination of the the words reconquer and build.
Dark Duel

"Reguild Century" which could be a combination of the the words reconquer and build.
Or you know, a bad Engrish rendition of "Rebuild".
Kind of like how "Reconguista" instead of "Reconquista"

Personally so far, I'm...not impressed in a good way. At least, not from that trailer. Bad enough the presumptive main character's smile reminds me of Viral, but frankly, first impression, I hate the mecha designs from the video, and especially that Gundam.
The E7-esque chara designs actually don't bug me all that much though, except for the apparent main character, who looks...unsettling.
I'll probably still give it a shot.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
daigundam lagaan

Digging the Character designs, the setting looks nice, the MS designs look pretty fresh by Gundam standards. Really eager for this one :) Also, having Tomino really helps in my eagerness for this.
I was actually glad that this is the new main show and not origin.
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
Raikoh

Heaven Piercing Man wrote:The word is actually Reconquista, with a Q. Dunno why would Tomino let such a blatant Engrish/Spangrish typo pass.
I heard that they were going to go with Reconquista, but changed it to Reconguista since they thought "Reconquista" wouldn't stand out enough. But, hey, if it's Spanish/Portugese then it isn't really a place to complain. UC had some implied Spanish expansion going on (such as Ryu Jose).

And maybe I'm giving it too much credit but I think "Reguild" might have something to do with the setting if it starts. We do know that there's an organization (a guild, perhaps?) protecting a space elevator. If it's an organization that is unaffiliated with the government, so you could say it's a "reconquest" of this "guild"?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
darkhunger

Raikoh wrote:
Heaven Piercing Man wrote:The word is actually Reconquista, with a Q. Dunno why would Tomino let such a blatant Engrish/Spangrish typo pass.
I heard that they were going to go with Reconquista, but changed it to Reconguista since they thought "Reconquista" wouldn't stand out enough. But, hey, if it's Spanish/Portugese then it isn't really a place to complain. UC had some implied Spanish expansion going on (such as Ryu Jose).
Tomino addressed this in the press conference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwngyeTeVA)... Apparently robot titles tend to need a hard "g" to do well in Japan... And if you think about it, going from Mazinger to Getter Robo to Gundam to Evangelion to Code Geass, it's true to an extent (though there are certainly exceptions)
Zeonista

Dark Duel wrote:
"Reguild Century" which could be a combination of the the words reconquer and build.
Or you know, a bad Engrish rendition of "Rebuild".
Kind of like how "Reconguista" instead of "Reconquista"

Personally so far, I'm...not impressed in a good way. At least, not from that trailer. Bad enough the presumptive main character's smile reminds me of Viral, but frankly, first impression, I hate the mecha designs from the video, and especially that Gundam.
The E7-esque chara designs actually don't bug me all that much though, except for the apparent main character, who looks...unsettling.
I'll probably still give it a shot.
Don't worry too much about spelling or possible pronunciation. The Japanese would pronounce it differently anyway, and Tomino is well known for his wordplay in naming things. ;)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
HellCat

darkhunger wrote:
Raikoh wrote:
Tomino addressed this in the press conference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwngyeTeVA)... Apparently robot titles tend to need a hard "g" to do well in Japan... And if you think about it, going from Mazinger to Getter Robo to Gundam to Evangelion to Code Geass, it's true to an extent (though there are certainly exceptions)
Yeah. From his tone it sounds like something he doesn't personally care for but is rolling with it for the sake of getting the show out there.

Wait, so G Gundam has the most powerful title?
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
darkhunger

HellCat wrote: Yeah. From his tone it sounds like something he doesn't personally care for but is rolling with it for the sake of getting the show out there.

Nope, since that's a soft G and not a hard G. In Japanese that's a ジ/Ji as opposed to a ぎ/Gi
Raikoh

HellCat wrote:Wait, so G Gundam has the most powerful title?
That'd be "GaoGaiGar FINAL: Grand Glorious Gathering." Unless there's a more OG (pun intended) name out there that I'm not aware of.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Heaven Piercing Man

darkhunger wrote:
HellCat wrote: Yeah. From his tone it sounds like something he doesn't personally care for but is rolling with it for the sake of getting the show out there.

Nope, since that's a soft G and not a hard G. In Japanese that's a ジ/Ji as opposed to a ぎ/Gi
Still, the G stands for God, which does have a hard G sound

I'm getting flashbacks to the whole JIF debacle.
laj12387

Here is the 35th anniversary press conference dubbed in English where Tomino himself states that the G in Reconguista stands for ground

If you wanna check it out its around the 25 min. marker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwngyeTeVA
Evex

laj12387 wrote:Here is the 35th anniversary press conference dubbed in English where Tomino himself states that the G in Reconguista stands for ground

If you wanna check it out its around the 25 min. marker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwngyeTeVA
So the English title of Reconguista in G can be said to be Mobile Suit Gundam: Reconquest in Ground. From the very few elements we have now. I'm starting to think this is a reverse colony project. After some time the earth has healed up enough to allow humanity to return to the plant. One of the key aspects of this project is the orbital elevators, and hence the need to protect the elevators. This would mean the colonists would have to reconquer the earth in some form. It could also mean that some group is trying to reconquer or be in control of the earth.
SlowTurtle

I for one we keep my judgement on the back burner an keep a open mind for the official info to come.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Compass

That gives me a lot more Evangelion vibes with the shoulder armor and the very lanky limbs.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Zeonista

It is not the Gundam, which has a traditional color scheme. Deviantart member kzchan has made an image of it on his site by way of comparison. http://www.deviantart.com/art/kzchanCon ... -443115344 THe MS in the studio illustration has a name on the tab which is difficult to read, but it is not labeled "Gundam".

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
darkhunger

Zeonista wrote:
It is not the Gundam, which has a traditional color scheme. Deviantart member kzchan has made an image of it on his site by way of comparison. http://www.deviantart.com/art/kzchanCon ... -443115344 THe MS in the studio illustration has a name on the tab which is difficult to read, but it is not labeled "Gundam".
The tab on the binder says エルフ・ブルタ (Elf Bruta?)

May be his work with his new production company that he's working with Hollywood on.
Zeonista

The tab on the binder says エルフ・ブルタ (Elf Bruta?)
Sounds good to me right now. The GUndam aside, there seems to be some serious re-imagining here in mecha design.

laj12387

It kinda looks like the original G-Reko MS teaser we got.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kJllM-GAxig/T ... image1.jpg
Sinquser

Looks like a transforming Mecha. Looks good.