The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BrentD15

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

gunform1010 wrote:The EF was nixed but what about the colonies? Did they get nixed or not?
I'd assume that without the support of the EF, the colonies began dying out when they started failing.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
excalibur2008

BrentD15 wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:The EF was nixed but what about the colonies? Did they get nixed or not?
I'd assume that without the support of the EF, the colonies began dying out when they started failing.
Makes Full Frontal's plan in Unicorn sound kind of suicidal doesn't it?
sdwoodchuck

excalibur2008 wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:
Makes Full Frontal's plan in Unicorn sound kind of suicidal doesn't it?
There's no reason the colonies would necessarily have to fail. They produce their own food, oxygen, and electricity, and the vast majority of materials used to construct them would come from asteroids anyway, so repairs and replacements wouldn't be far-fetched at all. That's not to say that failure couldn't happen as well, especially if there's conflict, but I don't see a reason to assume that without Earth resources the colonies would be doomed.
Mythgarr

If this is true that Tomino said there is a colony in Venus, then he is braver then sci-fi writers of old that shy away from telling stories of colonies on Venus after it was found that Venus is a hell made of acid that prohibits any kind of terraforming except probably full on matter-energy-matter conversions.
Visit The Dreams
Kratos

sdwoodchuck wrote:There's no reason the colonies would necessarily have to fail. They produce their own food, oxygen, and electricity, and the vast majority of materials used to construct them would come from asteroids anyway, so repairs and replacements wouldn't be far-fetched at all. That's not to say that failure couldn't happen as well, especially if there's conflict, but I don't see a reason to assume that without Earth resources the colonies would be doomed.
Indeed, we just got a quote that said the surviving space colonists moved to the far side of the moon and oppose the capital tower. Granted, the Tower was built over a thousand years before the series begins, but the colonies are clearly quite self-sufficient if they can purposely distance themselves from the Earth like that.
Mythgarr wrote:If it is true that Tomino said there is a colony in Venus, then he is braver then sci-fi writers of old that shy away from telling stories of colonies on Venus after it was found that Venus is a hell made of acid that prohibits any kind of terraforming except probably full on matter-energy-matter conversions.

Well, we just know that there's a space lake nearby Venus, not that the surface itself was terraformed; in fact, the rest of the quote (that mankind built the lake as a sort of home comfort) heavily implies that it wasn't, since this big nostalgia lake could have just been made on the surface if that were the case. The only reason for it to be built in space is if that's where the Venusian colonists live(d).
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
excalibur2008

Mythgarr wrote:If this is true that Tomino said there is a colony in Venus, then he is braver then sci-fi writers of old that shy away from telling stories of colonies on Venus after it was found that Venus is a hell made of acid that prohibits any kind of terraforming except probably full on matter-energy-matter conversions.
Didn't Exosquad back in the 90s have Venus as being teraformed to support human life?
balofo

Mythgarr wrote:If this is true that Tomino said there is a colony in Venus, then he is braver then sci-fi writers of old that shy away from telling stories of colonies on Venus after it was found that Venus is a hell made of acid that prohibits any kind of terraforming except probably full on matter-energy-matter conversions.
Actually is it's far easier to colonize Venus than Mars. We'd live in floating colonies high in the atmosphere and mine the gases directly from it.
battletech

excalibur2008 wrote:
Didn't Exosquad back in the 90s have Venus as being teraformed to support human life?
Yes it did. Synopsis of an episode from the first season. Marsala rescues J.T. and his crew from a doomed journey to the Sun and Nara learns that her family on Venus has been eliminated with the exception of a brother who is a Resistance leader.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Mythgarr

balofo wrote:
Actually is it's far easier to colonize Venus than Mars. We'd live in floating colonies high in the atmosphere and mine the gases directly from it.
I wonder how do we survive in such scenario? humans don't eat acidic gases...
Visit The Dreams
Amion

Uh, we don't survive too well in space either, but we still have colonies there.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Mythgarr

My bad, I thought "mining the gas" means we somehow synthesize foods from the gases :P
Well, colony might as well orbiting the planets then...
Visit The Dreams
Amion

But think of the Cloud City esthetic!
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deacon Blues

There's some stuff that people are missing. Some of it was a bit hard to decipher:

B-CLOVER

A Capital Tower ground facility within Capital Territory. Split into four blocks, the operations bureau and Skord Cathedral are here as well. The urban areas including the airport, Capital Guard training school and Saint Flower Academy are spread out around here.

CROWN

A vehicle that operates back and forth on Capital Tower connecting Earth and outer space. The globe spans approximately 60m, has a passenger cabin and something called an open crown to transport mobile suits and containers. Unfolding the MMF, it travels along a cable.

NUT

Facilities like 144 stations set up on Capital Tower. Comprised of various large and small dimensions. Its basic size a 1300m diameter ring which stays afloat via Minovsky Craft. (Not sure on the 144個の駅のような設備 part means here... doesn't make sense to me)

I'm assuming that is what スコード教 would be... interesting that it means "harvest" if they're borrowing from Swedish.
gunform1010

Deacon Blues wrote:There's some stuff that people are missing. Some of it was a bit hard to decipher:

B-CLOVER

A Capital Tower ground facility within Capital Territory. Split into four blocks, the operations bureau and Skord Cathedral are here as well. The urban areas including the airport, Capital Guard training school and Saint Flower Academy are spread out around here.

CROWN

A vehicle that operates back and forth on Capital Tower connecting Earth and outer space. The globe spans approximately 60m, has a passenger cabin and something called an open crown to transport mobile suits and containers. Unfolding the MMF, it travels along a cable.

NUT

Facilities like 144 stations set up on Capital Tower. Comprised of various large and small dimensions. Its basic size a 1300m diameter ring which stays afloat via Minovsky Craft. (Not sure on the 144個の駅のような設備 part means here... doesn't make sense to me)

I'm assuming that is what スコード教 would be... interesting that it means "harvest" if they're borrowing from Swedish.
Put this in the mecha thread too.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
balofo

Don't know if mentioned already but there were episode 10 storyboards showing the G-Reco still in the Amazon area.

So, even with the elevator allowing quick space travel, the majority of the 1st cour will likely take place on Earth.

This matches the gunpla releases, we're only going to see the Assault Pack in December.
gunform1010

gunform1010

New art: Bellri pulling a typical shonen scream: http://p.twipple.jp/8Pi68

balofo

Gundam Ace Tomino Interview:
-Space Colonies failed and Nuclear energy is banned
-Moon colony is called Towasanga and Venus colony is called Venus Globe
-Photon Battery can run a MS for a week and is the size of a notebook.
gunform1010

balofo wrote:Gundam Ace Tomino Interview:
-Space Colonies failed and Nuclear energy is banned
-Moon colony is called Towasanga and Venus colony is called Venus Globe
-Photon Battery can run a MS for a week and is the size of a notebook.
Space colonies failed? Are we running into some ruins later?

Towasanga. Typical strange Tomino "pull name out of hat" name. The same can be said for Venus Globe.

When he said the size of a notebook, what kind of notebook was he talking about? But regardless, the photon battery's power is damn impressive for a mere battery.

balofo

The colonies became debris