The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Maybe I'm not 'smart' enough to see how deep it is, but it's equally possible that it's shallow and you've simply convinced yourself that there must be a deeper meaning.
I don't want to get too much into this disagreement, but I do think there are deeper meanings, because I've at least been able to make predictions that come to pass based based on observations from the first two episodes *humblebrag*
Turkuru

So I've watched the first 4 eps of G-reco. Is it me or does the dialogue make barely any sense? maybe its the subs im watching on ****, but it seems like this show is a bunch of really fast paced jibber jabber and i have little to no idea what is going on. I'm used to Gundam shows running on exposistion and dialogue. This is so hard to follow, can anyone help? maybe suggest a site where i can watch better subs with a better translation if thats the problem.
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't talk about piracy sites
latenlazy

Turkuru wrote:So I've watched the first 4 eps of G-reco. Is it me or does the dialogue make barely any sense? maybe its the subs im watching on ****, but it seems like this show is a bunch of really fast paced jibber jabber and i have little to no idea what is going on. I'm used to Gundam shows running on exposistion and dialogue. This is so hard to follow, can anyone help? maybe suggest a site where i can watch better subs with a better translation if thats the problem.
It will probably get better once plot and world building fills out. My suggestion would be to pick up the series later if deciphering dialogue is too much for you right now...
HellCat

Tomino used to do it in the older shows but there it was the odd bit of idle chatter and small talk to make the characters seem more alive.

This...is an entire script of it, with the result that the cast seem non-chalant about stealing an MS, aiding pirates and fighting their own people. It's not like those are massive new ideas for Gundam, yet earlier productions managed to communicate weight and consequence to such events.

Reco is more like an absent minded doodle pad come to life.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Turkuru

Ya I remember the first few episodes of MSG and Zeta were kind of fast and loose in the dialogue. but even with those things were pretty clear cut. its almost like with g-reco the people are suffering from sever ADD except for the older characters. its like every sentence out of people's mouths has no context at all. which made me thing it was a bad translation. but maybe it is just early production issues.
I've just never had this problem with any other Gundam show. and i've seen all of them except X bc it was cancelled prematurely and i didnt want to watch it without an ending.
Even with Turn X which was pretty out there, it was pretty clear cut.
latenlazy

Turkuru wrote:Ya I remember the first few episodes of MSG and Zeta were kind of fast and loose in the dialogue. but even with those things were pretty clear cut. its almost like with g-reco the people are suffering from sever ADD except for the older characters. its like every sentence out of people's mouths has no context at all. which made me thing it was a bad translation. but maybe it is just early production issues.
I've just never had this problem with any other Gundam show. and i've seen all of them except X bc it was cancelled prematurely and i didnt want to watch it without an ending.
Even with Turn X which was pretty out there, it was pretty clear cut.
I sometimes wonder how much of the ability to keep up with MSG and Zeta despite the fast and loose conversations had to do with the availability of background information and side material, given the age of those series.
Turkuru

Remember than many other Gundam series had exposistion through narration. giving context for things.
I feel like that tiny bit of narration that was seen in MSG, Zeta, Wing, G, 00, etc..would do wonders for G-Reco. even something as little as 10-15 seconds would make so much difference.
But I just learned Tomino has publicly said G-Reco isn't produced for current generation Gundam fans, but for a new generation of kids. So the fact that I'm not "getting" it might be understandable.
darkhunger

It's not the translation. It's just how Tomino writes. Keep in mind this is the first Gundam series that's entirely scripted by Tomino, so it's got more of his usual style than anything that came before.

The only Tomino Gundam series that had narration that gave useful info was MSG though, and other Tomino Gundams definitely start off similarly vague and weird as this one did (ie Kamille's antics in the beginning of Zeta).

I think the real problem is for many people this is the first Tomino series that they are following the broadcast of and not just marathoning, so it's harder to keep track of all of the information being unveiled slowly and complex characters, and therefore tougher to maintain interest.

And no kid of today would be able to watch this show. Kids these days are about instant gratification and all the info spoonfed to them, which is the exactly what this show isn't about.
Chris
Administrator

Turkuru wrote:and i've seen all of them except X bc it was cancelled prematurely and i didnt want to watch it without an ending.
Not to get too off topic, but Gundam X has an ending even with the cancellation, so I don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his