The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Quiddity

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes quite a bit, granted this will be the first Gundam series I'll be watching as it airs since Seed 12 years ago and its a Tomino show so maybe I'm coming into it really wanting to like it. The opening theme comes off like music that you would hear in a Mega Man game, very strange! Loving the designs, both the characters and the overall world design. In the early goings interested in seeing just what is going on with Monday and her reactions towards the G-Self.

Is this intended to be all wrapped up in 25 episodes? Or is there the expectation that we could see a second season?
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
zetatype

First episode was ok, but we don't get to see a lot of the new world and we are really just get thrown into it at the beginning without much of an explanation. Fight was decent but I'm not really a fan of the Recten suits.

Second episode was much better as it showed off more of the world. Fights were better since they focused more on Grimores and Catsiths. Though I hope in the future well see more fluid fights instead of getting bits and pieces in between conversations.

What surprised me is how quick the pacing was in these two episodes and i feel like in most other gundam TV series it would have taken 4 or 5 episodes to reach the point G-Reco is at now. Though if this series really is only 25 episodes i guess its a good thing.

Character wise I have no problem with anyone yet. I like Bellri's upbeat and laid back attitude something you don't see too often in a Gundam protagonist . Aida is alright and I like Noredo even though the sling shot scene left me scratching my head and laughing the same time. Really surprised that
Spoiler
Captain Callah got offed so soon which is a shame because his death doesn't have any impact on the viewer.

OP is really the only thing that disappointed me. As others have mentioned it looks really cheap and most of the episode footage just seems randomly stitched together. The only thing that partially saves it is the song which I am really liking.

ED is no technical marvel, consisting of mostly still images, but unlike the OP its put together better. Its very...quirky, but for some reason I'm just lovin it.

So overall a solid start for the newest entry to Gundam franchise and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
YokozunaBulldozer

zetatype wrote: OP is really the only thing that disappointed me. As others have mentioned it looks really cheap and most of the episode footage just seems randomly stitched together. The only thing that partially saves it is the song which I am really liking.
I do agree.
The OP clip seems like it is badly-hashed, but the song definitely caught my attention with the sudden shift as G-Self appears.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Mythgarr

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes.
Tomino's still living doing his signature "everything moves all the time" animation mode lacking in current anime. Also everyone's important get to do something on the episode, and yes....a potentially annoying girl eye-ing the main character...

Will definitely continue till the end (then again, what Gundam anime I haven't finished through thick and thin when aired, even AGE. I like AGE kits, btw)
Visit The Dreams
Kenji

The first episode, I have to admit, was jarring. It was aesthetically strange and demanded more of the viewer to get a grasp on what was going on than Gundam traditionally does (which, combined with the Tomino-esque(?) gypsy train, places a rather heavy demand on attention span), which kinda says something about how demanding TV usually is.

That said, by the second episode, I was into it, and rewatching the first episode (and getting a better grasp on what's going on) furthers that impression. I've openly been pretty "meh" about Gundam since being disappointed with 00 S2's bald reenactment of Zeta, my surprisingly lukewarm impressions of AGE (despite being interested in the premise), and utter disinterest in the PokéPlamo paradigm, with the exception of Unicorn, so it's nice to be able to gather my former university Gundam fans together and actually have a new show to watch. :)

With Blue Blazes ending, this is now the weekly show I look forward to.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Zeino

Having just seen it, I really loved it. The setting, the mobile suits, The connections to UC and possibly Turn-A, The OST also reminiscent of Turn-A, The characters (so far) especially Bellri who has to be the most cheerful lead Gundam has had since Garrod and Judau, the sheer retroness of it all. Everything about it just really clicked for me. I think this could become my favorite Gundam work by Tomino if it continues in this direction.
Kratos

One thing that kinda jumped to mind: why are there civilians aboard the elevator at the beginning? If I understand the show correctly, that elevator is used to retrieve photon batteries (which is what the pirates attacked the descending one to retrieve), right? I know the girls sort of sneaked aboard, but you gotta wonder why those other families were there if it were purely an industrial mission.

Semi-related, as well as the show sets itself up, I wonder if it wouldn't have benefited from an MSG/Wing-style intro narration. While discussing the show, I realized that there are a couple things that are only ever explained in extra materials (most notably that the setting is a thousand years into a new calendar - I don't think anything regarding the date is ever established in-show). A lot of details that people complain don't make sense are answered in-show if you pay attention, but other stuff - like the photon battery thing - goes by so fast that a casual viewer can't reasonably be expected to pick up on it, especially when being already overwhelmed by a new setting.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

As I'm watching this episode, I'm starting to wonder why the detail and color is so washed out in the animation. It's like they got too lazy with the Photoshop layers and didn't bring the details to the forefront.
monster

Kratos wrote:One thing that kinda jumped to mind: why are there civilians aboard the elevator at the beginning? If I understand the show correctly, that elevator is used to retrieve photon batteries (which is what the pirates attacked the descending one to retrieve), right? I know the girls sort of sneaked aboard, but you gotta wonder why those other families were there if it were purely an industrial mission.
It looks like it's also used for transportation. The girls (I assume you meant the cheerleaders) didn't sneak aboard. They had a pass which was valid to take them up to a certain nut(?).
Kratos

Yeah, the more I think about it the more sense it makes (although I'm not sure it'd be transportation, since it probably just goes to a certain point, retrieves the Batteries, and returns). I bet it's a public experience thing - space and the elevator hold a certain sort of religious significance, so it could even almost be a pilgrimage.
latenlazy

Or the more than 150 nuts also have space allocated for retail and leisure. It IS space.
HellCat

It's not unhead of for commercial public transport to also ship freight. Far as I'm aware airmail items sometimes ship on tourist flights, so the tower also serving both isn't too out there.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Zeonista

Two episodes in, and I am enjoying the series very much! Episode 1 is a bit jarring, Great Director Tomino doesn't bother to give a long-winded expository introduction and drops the viewer into the middle of things. Another day, another training mission, another husband hunt, more cargo from space headed down the well to Grandaia-opolis.... And then a girl falls out of the sky and everything goes crazy! :) Episode 2 begins to fill in back story some, and gives a nice cast-perspective view of the Regild era.

I can very much believe that Reconguista in G started off as a non-Gundam show and was adapted. The feel of the production is very much like Xabungle or early Aura Battler Dunbine, not like what we all call "Gundam". It looks like some world-building was being done, and rather than compromise the whole set-up for a more conventional Gundam 'verse, Tomino-sama just marked off some time and said "change is constant, humans stay the same". However, anyone familiar with the Tomino character type stable will easily recognize a lot of his archetypes making an appearance in the cast. At the same time Bellri and Aida are both well outside the norms for Gundam leads, I am already well-disposed towards them. :)

From the production standpoint, I have no criticisms and no worries right now. The trailers have been borne out by Sunrise's top-notch work; animation is smooth all around, and the color palette is very brush-painted era, and rather natural in its tones, which also mark a not-a-Gundam origin.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Kyuzo Aoi

I wonder why Bandai and Sunrise are mum about a North American screening of G-Reco. Was it because to let GBFT to finish itself and not to confuse audiences in North America?
I am a Gundam!
gunform1010

Raikoh wrote:Should we complain when Karala gets pregnant just because an important character moment for her is based on her gender?
THIS
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Jarly

balofo wrote: >キャピタルはその為に資本の意。
"Capitial" city actually meant to mean "Capital" as in finance.
Hi, guys. I found this interesting. Because in that moment (First ep):
Spoiler
japanese inscription 首府後衛 means "Metropolis guards". It seems that Tomino-san disinformed us.
Kratos

Easily reconciled, though - "Capital Territory" refers to finance capital (or, at least, originally did), while "Capital Guard" refers to the city capital.
HellCat

Episode 3.
Spoiler
Found this better then episode 2 but there's still the very weird disconnect going on. For one, I sense that allowing Aida to 'steal' the Gundam is a political move, but that whole sequence.....I'm gonna lose interest if all we get is characters bickering for the entire run rather than sold, clear actions.

Klim was fun at least. I welcome back funny Gundam animals. Also, MS Potty.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Kratos

Ah, good, subs are out. This episode was one I was particular interested in seeing the specifics of the dialogue.

Going back to episode 1 for a minute, though...reading Zeonista's reaction, I was a bit confused about the "husband hunt" comment; apparently I missed that my first viewing. Sure enough, though, the guy checking Noredo's ticket does make a crack about that, at which point he's told it's a school tradition (so we know he's not just being weirdly condescending). If I'm being honest, it feels a bit out of left field, mostly since what they were doing came across as more "cheering on their friends and classmates" than some specific "husband hunt" (only Manny and Noredo interact with specific guys, and not even in any way that the latter term implies). It seems like a pretty throwaway line and situation (none of the girls ever bring it up again), too, so I'm doubting it'll be elaborated on.

So I guess...any thoughts on what's up with the "husband hunt" thing? Is that a case of literal subs being too literal? Is it somehow part of the worldbuilding? I'm probably giving it more thought than it was intended to provoke, but it feels strange now that I know their cheering was apparently some sort of courtship tradition despite all appearances and attitudes to the contrary.
latenlazy

The husband hunt thing was one of those moments that reinforced my interpretation of gender structures specific to the Capital.