The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kratos

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

I really enjoyed the first three episodes, despite picking up only about 30% or so of the actual dialog. It has this great sort of energy about it that makes it a blast to watch, and while it's just as Happy-Tomino as Turn-A, these episodes certainly had much more conventional pacing. The plot has good forward momentum so far, but strikes its balance in a way that things don't feel rushed. I'm really looking forward to see more! Some thoughts behind the spoiler cuts:

[Characters]
Spoiler
-There's a pretty heavy focus on character, so it's good that that's something I absolutely love. Not that there isn't plenty of mecha action to be had (there's a major battle in all three episodes) but it never takes up the bulk of the screentime - I'd estimate about a third at most. The rest is dedicated to the people in the show, so it's a good thing they're pretty great people to spend time around. Character chemistry is something that these episodes do really well in general, and it really sells the various bonds between them, be they student friendships (Bellri, Luin, Noredo, Manny, etc) or military chain of command (Dellensar and Kerbes).

-Bellri is fun in a way we haven't seen in some time, maybe not since Garrod, and he has great chemistry with Noredo (which kinda makes me disappointed that she's not the main love interest) and Luin (who seems like a super swell guy, despite being Kuntala, something that's brought up casually a couple times in the episodes but never elaborated much on). He's got this weird little quirk where he's always licking his lips - not in an obnoxious serial killer sort of way, and it's only like a split second of animation, but it's obviously meant to be a trait. Klim Nick, on the other hand, is exactly as obnoxious as his character design made him seem to me, and definitely isn't a favorite so far.

-Noredo and Manny both get a fair amount of screentime, and are really fun to watch together. They're a great argument for Tomino writing strong women. Less great in that regard is Aida, who often comes off as more stereotypically weak; this struck me as odd, since the Gundam Ace interview had a whole discussion about her as a Strong Female Lead and Tomino really supported that read of her. Presumably she'll develop as the show goes on. Also a bit off-putting is Raraiya - I know she's supposed to have amnesia, but she's so awkward to watch do basically anything, and it makes me wonder if there's more than the amnesia making her act like that.

-There are lots of other people introduced, mostly on the Capital side of things. We get to meet their king and an older military leader who comes off as kinda shady. Clearly we're getting the requisite politics with this Gundam. I was surprised that Cahill Saint died so quickly, though - he seemed like a guy that would stick around for a bit, like a counterpart to Dellensen Samatar.
[Plot]
Spoiler
-This was the hardest to get a read on, my Japanese ability being what it is, though as I mentioned above it's at least paced well enough that I never lost interest in watching. It has a very atypical start for a Gundam show, mostly focused around the capture of the G-Self and various attempts to snatch it back (first by the space pirates, then by Amerian forces). Bellri never "falls into the cockpit", although the point that he can mysteriously activate the G-Self is brought up (and interestingly, it seems to identify him as Aida). He hasn't actually taken it out alone yet though - Aida's always been in the cockpit with him.

-On that note, one thing that bugs me is how passive Aida seems about cooperating with the Capital Forces - she never gets proactive in stealing her machine back, despite regularly being in its cockpit even after capture and during rescue attempts by her own forces. She doesn't even try to overpower Bellri in these situations. Maybe the show gives her adequate reason not to and I just missed it, but it seemed kinda weird and took me out of the show a bit.
[Mecha & Technology]
Spoiler
-Seeing the mecha in action caused them all to grow on me (except maybe the Grimoire, which I was already 100% sold on), though some more than others - the Recten still comes across a bit like a cheap child's Lights-n-Sounds robot toy, though it gets its moment in the sun in the first episode. I may not like its pilot much, but the Montero and its beam whip was plenty cool, and the G-Self's bug-eyed curves make a strong showing across all three episodes.

-There are these weird bipedal bird-legged transport mini mecha used by several characters in the second episode, and they really stood out to me (possibly because I hadn't seen anything about them before watching the episode). I've never seen anything like them and everybody in the show just reacts like it's the most normal thing in the world to see people stroll in on them.

-We get our first UC mecha cameos as early as episode 2 - a Capital hangar houses life-size stone statues of various Zeon MS, including the Zaku and Dom and a bunch of others. Minovsky Particles are also mentioned fairly frequently - clearly not everything from the UC era is lost.
[Visuals and Sound]
Spoiler
-Technically, the series is also very good; though I'll admit to not having much of a super technical eye for things like animation, it still all felt smooth and consistent and vibrant, something I hope the show can keep up once we move beyond the episodes prepared for theatrical release. There's a solid attention to detail as well, including the G-Self's shield getting progressively more battle damaged as time goes on. Battle effects tend to look really neat too.

-The score is also nice, and contributes to the generally upbeat atmosphere of the show. Tomino's decision to stick to established voice talent really paid off as well, and is probably a big reason why the characters in the show stand out so much.
So, yeah, good stuff. Can't wait to see more!
Last edited by Kratos on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
balofo

I'd gladly pay to watch it, less than 4 dollars, if they LET ME!

Lame...
Kratos

I might have been a bit hard on...
Spoiler
...Aida up there. On rewatching, it seems that there was definitely some sort of plot hatched between her and Mr. Military Leader (to the point where I'm a bit shocked I missed it on the first viewing), and although why that plot involves Bellri and the specifics of why she's cooperating are still a bit of a mystery, at least she didn't come across as passive as I originally read her - more conspiratorial. I still think she's nowhere near as fun or distinctive as Noredo and Manny, but she made a better impression for sure.
NastyNate

Is this show going to simulcast on Gundam youtube or crunchy roll?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Amion

NastyNate wrote:Is this show going to simulcast on Gundam youtube or crunchy roll?
All we can do is pray, Nate. Pray.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
battletech

The first opening by GARNiDELiA will be called "Blazing". Preview or in this case prehear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGGX6Bmcrls
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Kratos

Thanks! That's quite a bit more fast-paced than I was expecting, given the tone of the show that I saw. Can't wait to see some animation put to it.
Zeonista

battletech wrote:The first opening by GARNiDELiA will be called "Blazing". Preview or in this case prehear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGGX6Bmcrls
This opening is great for the show. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Zeino

So what version of Tomino do you think we'll be getting with Reconguista? The one who directed Zeta, Victory and Ideon or the one who directed Turn A, Xabungle and King Gainer? Because considering how grouchy he's sounded lately I'm starting to suspect it could be the former despite looking and feeling so far like the latter.
Kratos

We'll see as the show goes on, but the first three episodes are definitely the latter (and further down the list on it, too - this feels way more King Gainer than Turn-A in tone). I'm sure there will be at least a bit of grim-ness somewhere in there, but unless it takes a serious tonal shift, I'm not putting a whole lot of money on the Ideon/Victory extreme.
battletech

Congratz Australia and New Zealand. Now we are all jealous.
Zeether

The UK is getting it too via All The Anime. This might be a big stretch but I think the US may be getting more than a stream out of this.
HellCat

http://www.toonzone.net/2014/10/anime-l ... c-ireland/

At this stage, it'd be odd if the US isn't sitting on an announcement.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Amion

I'm in a negative quagmire right now. Paint me surprised if there really is something substantial like a simulcast.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
battletech

Amion wrote:I'm in a negative quagmire right now. Paint me surprised if there really is something substantial like a simulcast.
Yeah I'm with you. Ever since Bandai Entertainment was closed down I've had this feeling that Namco Bandai doesn't really care about the North American market.
HellCat

......*holding back another rant about all the stuff Bandai/Sunrise does to court America*
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
battletech

HellCat wrote:......*holding back another rant about all the stuff Bandai/Sunrise does to court America*
Could you PM me that rant? I would like to learn because to me it seems the Americas have been left out when it comes to Gundam
Evex

This is just a guess on my part, but from the way Bandai/sunrise has done things in the past. I'm seeing one of two possibilities. Granted at best these are long shots and wishful thinking. The first is that they are going to let Reconquista run its course, before they license it to either Daisuki or Crunchyroll. Even then this would most likely be limited time viewing offer as they have done in the past.

The Second is a very long shot and that is they are going to try actually airing on American cable/satellite networks again. So Adult Swim or any other channel that has an anime block would be candidates in this category. Though the first option seems most likely since bandai/sunrise has apparently embraced the idea of digital media. Another thing is that they might see the America's as part of the U.K market and expect Americans to go through the U.K. to get there gundam fix.
Raikoh

Today, being an American Gundam fan is suffering. I mean, it never was a walk in the park but today it seems like they're going out of their way to alienate the US market. Well, at least Build Fighters will be streaming for us.

As for Reco, seems like we might have to resort to more drastic measures.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE