The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

Xenosynth wrote:For all we know though, this could just be a choppy recording on a not so good video site. I mean, I remember Gundam Breaker's preview made the gameplay look 100 times more choppy and made it look like it was done at half frame rate.
I mentioned this at the 1st criticism, the frame rate could be the video but you can't deny the QUALITY frames like the red beam shield changing forms.

And I doubt they'll redraw anything from the first batch of episodes since the footage we just got is the same from the PVs
Andrew_Graruru

I thought the mech animation looked great, but it suffers from Tomino's very televisual directorial style - the pizza-slice views of the pilots interrupting the action, as well as the harsh zooms onto frames; making them look all low-res and choppy. Also had that fairly shoutey, rushed feel to it.

But the setting looks really interesting, and I dig the vibrant, colourful look of the world. Also digging that it isn't the typical Gundam start, no attack on a space colony, and the enthusiastic MC is a nice change from the meek pacifists I've become used to.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
gunform1010

Likely Aida's piloting it, based on the info we've been given before, and Bellri will fight her. But-
Spoiler
Why the hell did she fire a random shot?
Other things:
Spoiler
Why is the G-Self so important to the pirates, enough so that the first thing we see is a capture mission? Why the hell is Raraiya piloting it?
Bellri's voice made me laugh. Anybody else?

Also, you guys picked up some "Minovsky" reference, right?

Everybody's always yelling at the St. Flower students. I feel kinda bad for em.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Kratos

gunform1010 wrote:Likely Aida's piloting it, based on the info we've been given before, and Bellri will fight her. But-
Spoiler
You're right - the character and story summaries all say it's her, too, so that should've been pretty obvious. She must have shot because she's attacking the tower.
gunform1010 wrote:Other things:
Spoiler
Why is the G-Self so important to the pirates, enough so that the first thing we see is a capture mission? Why the hell is Raraiya piloting it?
We knew Raraiya would be piloting it off the bat, but I always assumed she was affiliated with the pirates, even though nothing ever said that and the first scene implies the opposite. In fact, I'll bet that was a Gundamjack (which would explain why they didn't rescue her). That scene made a lot more sense on a second viewing (that wasn't right after a night on the town).
gunform1010 wrote:Everybody's always yelling at the St. Flower students. I feel kinda bad for em.
Well, they did have a certain special disregard for rules and regulations, something I hear the military's not especially fond of :lol: I'm just glad people aren't getting slapped around constantly.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
gunform1010

Kratos wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:Likely Aida's piloting it, based on the info we've been given before, and Bellri will fight her. But-
Spoiler
You're right - the character and story summaries all say it's her, too, so that should've been pretty obvious. She must have shot because she's attacking the tower.
Then why does she fire away from it?
Kratos wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:Other things:
Spoiler
We knew Raraiya would be piloting it off the bat, but I always assumed she was affiliated with the pirates, even though nothing ever said that and the first scene implies the opposite. In fact, I'll bet that was a Gundamjack (which would explain why they didn't rescue her). That scene made a lot more sense on a second viewing (that wasn't right after a night on the town).
When I asked the last question, I was asking in a more "where the hell did she come from" fashion. I disagree with the Gundamjack theory.
Kratos wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:Everybody's always yelling at the St. Flower students. I feel kinda bad for em.
Well, they did have a certain special disregard for rules and regulations, something I hear the military's not especially fond of :lol: I'm just glad people aren't getting slapped around constantly.
You expecting a Zeta Gundam Smackdown here? :P It's a kids' show!

Kratos

gunform1010 wrote:Then why does she fire away from it?
We don't know what she shot at, considering the clip cut off there, but it's pretty clear that the pirates are attacking the tower and attacks generally involve shots being fired. I don't think the shot is an especially random thing to have happened.
gunform1010 wrote:I disagree with the Gundamjack theory.
Why? Considering the pirates' focus on retrieving the G-Self and their total disinterest in rescuing Raraiya, I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that she may have stolen the G-Self from them. I suppose the other possibility is that the PIRATES were on a Gundamjack mission, and sought to steal it from her, but I'm banking on theft being involved somewhere.
gunform1010 wrote:You expecting a Zeta Gundam Smackdown here? :P It's a kids' show!
I was being flippant. Tomino seems mostly past the bizarre physical abuse of oldschool Gundam anyways.
gunform1010

Oh I misread about the Gundamjack thing.

We know the G-Self is very versatile (7 backpacks), so it has some awesome power...

I want to find out who made this thing, and why Raraiya's there.

HellCat

I'm not going into this expecting particularly amazing mecha battles, mainly because I'm already mentally classing it as something different from Unicorn or Build Fighters. Unicorn is a spotlight anniversary work, so I expect it to deliver on mecha action and budget. Similar with BF, which is a show made for fans, by fans but with the key mission statment of getting kids into the Gunpla hobby. It's kind of expected it'd make them look incredibly cool.

With this, coming from the nominal original creator who has made no secret that the mecha and need to push the related merchandise has become the thing he likes least about Gundam shows...it really wouldn't surprise me if they're just kinda there rather than anything breathtaking.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
balofo

Every Tomino Gundam show had awesome battles. It appears the Korean main animator from GBF was hired and left Try.

And they are pushing Gunpla, we already have 4 announced with more coming this month at Chara Hobby. They even confirmed there will be more Gundam suits.

Hopefully this is only a problem at the beginning, because I won't bother watching this even if I like the designs.
Kratos

I didn't really see anything in this clip implying that G-Reco won't have plenty of mech battles; in fact, the healthy variety of mecha announced would suggest the opposite. Tomino may not like the merchandising aspect of Gundam, but that's been true since MSG. He can work with it.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the designs, though. The G-Self is alright, though I thought the Exia was a better fusion of the RX-78 and Turn-A, and the Grimoire is refreshingly unique, but beyond that I'm a little underwhelmed. But that's okay! I don't go into Gundam for mech designs exclusively, and everything else in that clip was really encouraging, particularly the character writing and acting - and, try as I might, I can't see any frames that I would describe as QUALITY. A few frozen backgrounds, sure, but nothing that distracted me or took me out of the show (though it helped that it was all incredibly engaging. This show clearly has a ton of personality to it, and I love that).
gunform1010

Kratos wrote:I was being flippant. Tomino seems mostly past the bizarre physical abuse of oldschool Gundam anyways.
Better than Ideon's ridiculous death toll.

It seems like they shove a lot of different groups onto the space elevator at once. The army, students, children...
balofo wrote:Every Tomino Gundam show had awesome battles. It appears the Korean main animator from GBF was hired and left Try.
The guy's Korean? Awesome. :D

Are there two elevators?

Kratos

Based on the clip, there seem to be at least 2 lifts, yeah (EDIT: in fact, based on the full shot we get at 3:05, it looks like there're 4). The Capital Tower is the thing that's always referred to in the singular; it must have a number of elevators to transport things into space.

Incidentally, the part of the interview I'm translating next is about space elevators, so something about that may be mentioned there.
balofo

-Amelia is using the pirates to fight Capital Army without triggering a full war for the photon batteries
-They're promising a lot of mecha action(please let it be true)
-Capital Tower is sacred so even Amelia won't attack it
-G-Reco is meant to be different from modern animes

There was also a CM aired that showed bit from the 2nd part of episode 1 like the G-Self having a 360 panoramic monitor
gunform1010

balofo wrote:-Amelia is using the pirates to fight Capital Army without triggering a full war for the photon batteries
-They're promising a lot of mecha action(please let it be true)
-Capital Tower is sacred so even Amelia won't attack it
-G-Reco is meant to be different from modern animes

There was also a CM aired that showed bit from the 2nd part of episode 1 like the G-Self having a 360 panoramic monitor
YAY MECHA ACTION

How will it be different?

And where is that CM?

Why are the pirates acting as proxy soldiers?

Kratos

Total nitpick, I know, but it is officially AMERIA, not Amelia. We have the official spellings and names for a good chunk of the stuff from this show.

Anyways, for those in Japan, the first three episode are being streamed online (source) from September 8th. The chance of subs are basically nil, of course, but early access of any sort is certainly cool (and it means my inability to travel to the theatrical screenings is now a total non-issue :D).
gunform1010 wrote:Why are the pirates acting as proxy soldiers?
See:
balofo wrote:-Amelia is using the pirates to fight Capital Army without triggering a full war for the photon batteries
They can't get away with attacking themselves for various political/religious reasons, so they do so in a way that takes the heat off them and prevents a potentially devastating international conflict.

It'll be interesting to see how well THAT works out.
Mythgarr

So basically they are the space-age Privateers
Visit The Dreams
Kratos

New PV. This looks like the one that balofo mentioned a few posts back, with footage from the rest of the first episode that includes a shot of Aida and the G-Self panoramic cockpit.
gunform1010

Hostages? Where?

balofo

Hopefully someone will rip the movie compilation from d-animestore for us poor mortals starting 9/8.

Hyped right now