The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

BrentD15 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:34 am That would be good, right? Nobody would suspect that.
That the great Kycilia Zabi, head of Zeon's intelligence operations, would show up on Luna looking like the dressed in the dark after mugging a particularly tacky SoCal barfly for her clothes?

Yeah, I can't imagine that ever occurring to Federation intelligence.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
BrentD15

Quick note about Episode 9: Dozle became my favorite character in the series, period.

Episode 10: The Battle of Loum begins!

Tianem and Dozle clash, while Revil is heading towards a clash with destiny.

Meanwhile, riots are consuming Side 5, including Texas Colony. Mr. Diablo dies while his home is under siege, and Sayla gets her first kills and manages the situation with a relatively cool demeanor. I got the feeling that she was channeling her Brother somewhat with how she was dealing with the arsonists. Speaking of which, she catches a glimpse of a familiar red mobile suit standing on the colony's exterior.

At Club Eden, Crowley Hamon shows off her knowledge of Zeon's legal practices when she tells the goons coming to grab Ramba Ral to pound sand, and she gives a piano solo while the Club's neon sign finally burns out.

And finally, Char is heading alone towards the confrontation at Loum, as he disengages the limiters on his Zaku.

I wasn't as invested in this episode as the last, but I still did find it watchable.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
BrentD15

Episode 11: The Battle of Loum's Outcome!

This is the episode that launched the careers of many of Zeon's ace pilots, including Char Aznable, the Black Tri-Stars, Johnny Ridden, Shin Matsunaga, etc.

Dozle's fleet is getting a pummeling from Tianem, and decides to make a tactical retreat. However, this is only a feint, as he realigns his fleet to single-file and makes a charge at Revil's fleet. Additionally, Char boosts around the battlefield slaying Feddy warships, and the Black Tri-Stars capture General Revil.

However, Tianem finds his fleet in range of the Great Degwin, and behind that is the Zeon homeland. Instead of taking the opportunity of winning the war and humiliating Zeon, he disengages. Dozel then salutes both Zeon and the Federation's fallen in the battle's fallout.

Interestingly enough, we don't see the vast destruction of the colonies in this engagement. Side 5 was supposed to be almost completely annihilated except Texas colony, and that was damaged enough that it becomes a wasteland in a matter of months.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

If I remember it correctly that changes in Origin compared to the Original. Since we see Zeon attacking Side 5 earlier in Origin with ships and mobile suits. Remember Texas the Colony that Sayla was on when she looks up and sees Char's Zaku standing on top of the colony. I Think? Or was it the one which we see the Evac ships leaving as the colony is nearly destroyed by naval gunfire from Zeon. One such ship was carrying the Azanable Parents who are then killed by Char.
BrentD15

Deathzealot wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:07 am If I remember it correctly that changes in Origin compared to the Original. Since we see Zeon attacking Side 5 earlier in Origin with ships and mobile suits. Remember Texas the Colony that Sayla was on when she looks up and sees Char's Zaku standing on top of the colony. I Think? Or was it the one which we see the Evac ships leaving as the colony is nearly destroyed by naval gunfire from Zeon. One such ship was carrying the Azanable Parents who are then killed by Char.
Really?
So, it happened earlier before the battle of Loum and not during the actual battle with shots from both sides destroying the colonies? Hmmm...
Seto Kaiba

BrentD15 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm Really?
So, it happened earlier before the battle of Loum and not during the actual battle with shots from both sides destroying the colonies? Hmmm...
IIRC the goal there on Zeon's part was to bait the Federation into a heavyweight response by destroying the docks in Side 5.
The Macross Mecha Manual
BrentD15

In all, I might start disliking this series again if it picks up to do the whole MSG run, with how they change characters for worse (and only a few for better).
BrentD15

Episode 12: Loum's Aftermath

Zeon is celebrating its victory over the Federation at the new Deikun Ballroom. Garma gets very confrontational with Char over his accomplishments, and it was done in a way that I found very... disturbing. I honestly don't like what happened to Garma, and that shows when he goes back to the STILL INTACT Side 5 colonies to slaughter resistance fighters, and presumably civilians. Seriously, are they ever going to be destroyed?

Dozle puts Char in command of the Falmel, and his first assignment is to hunt down the Federation's new Mobile Suit development program, Project V. Dren is conducting drills when they stumble upon a still functioning Salamis cruiser in Lunar orbit. Char's first test as commander starts now.

In all, a very disappointing episode in how it breaks up already-established UC canon, and firmly cementing how The Origin is a separate continuity compared to the OG MSG. And the sad part? People will start referencing the Origin over the original because it was new, and because people don't want to watch older animations to understand why the original's character interpretations were overall better. :x
Seto Kaiba

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 am Zeon is celebrating its victory over the Federation at the new Deikun Ballroom. Garma gets very confrontational with Char over his accomplishments, and it was done in a way that I found very... disturbing.
... that it was disturbing was kind of the point.

Garma Zabi is a deeply insecure, cosseted rich brat whose insecurities revolve around his awareness of having been sheltered by his father and his family's status all his life and feeling inadequate in the face of the accomplishments and status of his siblings. Char pushes his buttons because he's both the first person to treat Garma as an equal or friend at the academy but his battlefield achievements and fame as Zeon's top mobile suit ace threaten to totally overshadow Garma's own efforts to seize the public eye and achieve at the level he feels is required of a Zabi.

Casval Deikun - alias Char Aznable - is a deeply disturbed individual, seething with frustrated hate for the Zabis he believes (rightly or wrongly) murdered his father and being persistently indoctrinated with pathological hatred for the Zabi family by his tutor Jimba Ral. That, combined with the psychological damage from having his family get broken up by politics, living in virtual exile while all too aware of the threat of assassination should he be found, and more than one actual attempt on his life, and the influence of his own mentally ill, wannabe-messiah father's firebrand rhetoric and agitation for war make it rather surprising that young Casval isn't a psychotic serial killer. Well, he kind of is... but he's a high-functioning one with a very specific goal. He's enjoying tweaking the youngest Zabi son because he can't kill him himself in present circumstances, so he can egg him on to get his dumb arse killed (which he later succeeded in doing by playing on his insecurities). He's veritably seething with predatory intent he can't act upon.

IMO, this is a much more believable Garma and Char interaction than anything in the series. Char's desire to kill the Zabis was so well suppressed in the original series that it practically came out of nowhere. In Origin, it's very clear from the outset that Char wants the Zabis (and anyone who gets between him and them) dead by the most expedient means possible from the outset, and is barely keeping it together.

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 amI honestly don't like what happened to Garma, and that shows when he goes back to the STILL INTACT Side 5 colonies to slaughter resistance fighters, and presumably civilians. Seriously, are they ever going to be destroyed?
They're only a week or so into the OYW... give him time, he'll get the job done. It's baby Garma's first genocide after all. His big brothers have already had practice.

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 amDozle puts Char in command of the Falmel, and his first assignment is to hunt down the Federation's new Mobile Suit development program, Project V. Dren is conducting drills when they stumble upon a still functioning Salamis cruiser in Lunar orbit. Char's first test as commander starts now.
More importantly, Char orchestrates the escalation of the One Year War to give himself a clear shot at the entire Zabi family by letting Revil go. Char may be running on insane troll logic, but he's crazy like a fox.
The Macross Mecha Manual
BrentD15

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:12 am
BrentD15 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 am Zeon is celebrating its victory over the Federation at the new Deikun Ballroom. Garma gets very confrontational with Char over his accomplishments, and it was done in a way that I found very... disturbing.
... that it was disturbing was kind of the point.

Garma Zabi is a deeply insecure, cosseted rich brat whose insecurities revolve around his awareness of having been sheltered by his father and his family's status all his life and feeling inadequate in the face of the accomplishments and status of his siblings. Char pushes his buttons because he's both the first person to treat Garma as an equal or friend at the academy but his battlefield achievements and fame as Zeon's top mobile suit ace threaten to totally overshadow Garma's own efforts to seize the public eye and achieve at the level he feels is required of a Zabi.

Casval Deikun - alias Char Aznable - is a deeply disturbed individual, seething with frustrated hate for the Zabis he believes (rightly or wrongly) murdered his father and being persistently indoctrinated with pathological hatred for the Zabi family by his tutor Jimba Ral. That, combined with the psychological damage from having his family get broken up by politics, living in virtual exile while all too aware of the threat of assassination should he be found, and more than one actual attempt on his life, and the influence of his own mentally ill, wannabe-messiah father's firebrand rhetoric and agitation for war make it rather surprising that young Casval isn't a psychotic serial killer. Well, he kind of is... but he's a high-functioning one with a very specific goal. He's enjoying tweaking the youngest Zabi son because he can't kill him himself in present circumstances, so he can egg him on to get his dumb arse killed (which he later succeeded in doing by playing on his insecurities). He's veritably seething with predatory intent he can't act upon.

IMO, this is a much more believable Garma and Char interaction than anything in the series. Char's desire to kill the Zabis was so well suppressed in the original series that it practically came out of nowhere. In Origin, it's very clear from the outset that Char wants the Zabis (and anyone who gets between him and them) dead by the most expedient means possible from the outset, and is barely keeping it together.
I disagree, and find it a bit too dramatic (at least, to my tastes). He was practically losing it in front of Char, which should have drawn unnecessary attention to himself and brought about a slight scandal.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:12 am
BrentD15 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 amDozle puts Char in command of the Falmel, and his first assignment is to hunt down the Federation's new Mobile Suit development program, Project V. Dren is conducting drills when they stumble upon a still functioning Salamis cruiser in Lunar orbit. Char's first test as commander starts now.
More importantly, Char orchestrates the escalation of the One Year War to give himself a clear shot at the entire Zabi family by letting Revil go. Char may be running on insane troll logic, but he's crazy like a fox.
Wait, that was the same ship? Oh yeah, I forgot about Revil's jailbreak. And also, M'Quve is sent to Earth to re-educate the spacenoids about their Earthen heritage.
Seto Kaiba

BrentD15 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am I disagree, and find it a bit too dramatic (at least, to my tastes). He was practically losing it in front of Char, which should have drawn unnecessary attention to himself and brought about a slight scandal.
To most, it likely looked like two old academy buddies (both of whom were notorious in Zeon for their roles in having orchestrated the Dawn Rebellion) sharing some good-natured boasting over who was going to do more to advance the cause of Zeon in the war.

Remember, "Char" was the only person outside of Garma's own family who actually knew Garma reasonably well due to having been his academy roommate and vitriolic best buddy at the academy. To Char, it was probably obvious he had Garma worked up. Garma, of course, was pretty high-strung already (witness his angst watching the Battle of Loum), but most of his family would probably have welcomed Garma drawing attention (desired or not) since that would reduce the attention focused on them while they pursued less laudable tasks like Kycilia's secret police, the massacres perpetrated by Dozle's fleet, and all the horrid sh*t Gihren was getting up to. Garma was also beloved of the Zeon populace due to being the youngest of the Zabis, the most likeable Zabi, and the hero of the Dawn Rebellion, so any casual bystanders would likely chalk his behavior up to nerves from being involved in a major state function in an official capacity instead of just "Dozle's kid".

BrentD15 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 amWait, that was the same ship? Oh yeah, I forgot about Revil's jailbreak. And also, M'Quve is sent to Earth to re-educate the spacenoids about their Earthen heritage.
M'Quve totally missed his calling as a museum curator...
The Macross Mecha Manual
BrentD15

Well, after a break, we finally get to the finale.

Char lets Revil go for some political theater. Revil then makes a speech calling Zeon weak and resource dependent, giving the Federation pretense to continue fighting, and M'Quve pretense to launch the invasion of Earth. Garma Zabi shows off his Hollywood looks in Los Angeles, like the vain pretty boy he apparently is.

Also, Side 5 is still intact! I mean, what the ZOINKS is up with that?! Is this continuity just completely ignoring the destruction that the Feddy and Zeek fleets caused at Side 5, creating the infamous Shoal Zone? Also, Sayla transfers to Side 7.

We get to meet the Gundam's original pilot, Kent, and he greets Amuro in a once-in-a-lifetime encounter. Also, it's still just weird hearing Amuro not voiced by Brad Swaile. And I kinda miss Kai's high-pitched sarcastic tone of the original too. Were they unable to find any of the original English VAs for this project? :?:

And finally, Tem Ray got a valuable lesson in separation of home and work life. He and the White Base, including Bright Noah, are heading to Side 7, with Char in pursuit.

And that concludes the US airing of Gundam: The Origin. Overall, it was okay.
Seto Kaiba

BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am Char lets Revil go for some political theater. Revil then makes a speech calling Zeon weak and resource dependent, giving the Federation pretense to continue fighting, and M'Quve pretense to launch the invasion of Earth.
Yeah, Revil's famous "Zeon is exhuasted" speech was a nice touch in this adaptation... and that it came about because of Char really underscores his role as the orchestrator of Zeon's downfall in his quest for retribution against the Zabis.

When all was said and done, Revil wasn't wrong. The Principality of Zeon was exhausted, resource-poor, and its leader was counting on the war being a short affair that was enough to convince the Federation to leave them alone and give them autonomy in exchange for a cease-fire. Zeon didn't have the resources or the manpower to sustain a longer war, and Degwin was stupid enough to let Revil know that in person.

BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am Garma Zabi shows off his Hollywood looks in Los Angeles, like the vain pretty boy he apparently is.
Well, yeah... that was Just As Planned, as far as Degwin and Dozle were concerned.

Garma desperately wanted to live up to the expectations he felt everyone had of him as the youngest son of Zeon's first family. He didn't want to be a spoiled little prince who only got his position through his family's influence, he wanted an opportunity to earn a reputation on his own. He felt insecure given that his siblings were already accomplished leaders of Zeon's government, like Admiral Dozle, Prime Minister Gihren, spymaster Kycilia, etc. Degwin desperateny wanted to keep his youngest, most innocent child safe. Dozle struck the compromise between the desires of the two, putting the young and impressionable Garma in the safest possible command he could. First, in the ground forces Zeon sent in to pacify the already beaten Side 5, and then to a garrison command well behind the front lines on Earth. It was meant to make Garma think he was taking risks and leading troops, when in reality he'd been send to the safest places possible outside of Zeon's heartland.

BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am Also, Side 5 is still intact! I mean, what the ZOINKS is up with that?! Is this continuity just completely ignoring the destruction that the Feddy and Zeek fleets caused at Side 5, creating the infamous Shoal Zone? Also, Sayla transfers to Side 7.
There's plenty more war for the remaining colonies in Side 5 to get destroyed in.

BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am We get to meet the Gundam's original pilot, Kent, and he greets Amuro in a once-in-a-lifetime encounter. Also, it's still just weird hearing Amuro not voiced by Brad Swaile. And I kinda miss Kai's high-pitched sarcastic tone of the original too. Were they unable to find any of the original English VAs for this project? :?:
English VAs are a relatively sparse commodity, heavily utilized yet not paid particularly well.

Distributors tend to pick mainly from a stable of VAs they commonly work with, rather than holding wide auditions for any given show. It's a real fly-by-night affair.
The Macross Mecha Manual
BrentD15

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:52 pm
BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am Char lets Revil go for some political theater. Revil then makes a speech calling Zeon weak and resource dependent, giving the Federation pretense to continue fighting, and M'Quve pretense to launch the invasion of Earth.
Yeah, Revil's famous "Zeon is exhuasted" speech was a nice touch in this adaptation... and that it came about because of Char really underscores his role as the orchestrator of Zeon's downfall in his quest for retribution against the Zabis.

When all was said and done, Revil wasn't wrong. The Principality of Zeon was exhausted, resource-poor, and its leader was counting on the war being a short affair that was enough to convince the Federation to leave them alone and give them autonomy in exchange for a cease-fire. Zeon didn't have the resources or the manpower to sustain a longer war, and Degwin was stupid enough to let Revil know that in person.
Yeah, way to go, Degwin. :lol:
BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am Garma Zabi shows off his Hollywood looks in Los Angeles, like the vain pretty boy he apparently is.
Well, yeah... that was Just As Planned, as far as Degwin and Dozle were concerned.

Garma desperately wanted to live up to the expectations he felt everyone had of him as the youngest son of Zeon's first family. He didn't want to be a spoiled little prince who only got his position through his family's influence, he wanted an opportunity to earn a reputation on his own. He felt insecure given that his siblings were already accomplished leaders of Zeon's government, like Admiral Dozle, Prime Minister Gihren, spymaster Kycilia, etc. Degwin desperateny wanted to keep his youngest, most innocent child safe. Dozle struck the compromise between the desires of the two, putting the young and impressionable Garma in the safest possible command he could. First, in the ground forces Zeon sent in to pacify the already beaten Side 5, and then to a garrison command well behind the front lines on Earth. It was meant to make Garma think he was taking risks and leading troops, when in reality he'd been send to the safest places possible outside of Zeon's heartland.
And ultimately seals his fate.
BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am Also, Side 5 is still intact! I mean, what the ZOINKS is up with that?! Is this continuity just completely ignoring the destruction that the Feddy and Zeek fleets caused at Side 5, creating the infamous Shoal Zone? Also, Sayla transfers to Side 7.
There's plenty more war for the remaining colonies in Side 5 to get destroyed in.
And yet, Side 5 was meant to be destroyed at the Battle of Loum.
This is why this continuity bugs me. Changing events to be inconsistent with the previously established timeline isn't always a good thing.
BrentD15 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 am We get to meet the Gundam's original pilot, Kent, and he greets Amuro in a once-in-a-lifetime encounter. Also, it's still just weird hearing Amuro not voiced by Brad Swaile. And I kinda miss Kai's high-pitched sarcastic tone of the original too. Were they unable to find any of the original English VAs for this project? :?:
English VAs are a relatively sparse commodity, heavily utilized yet not paid particularly well.

Distributors tend to pick mainly from a stable of VAs they commonly work with, rather than holding wide auditions for any given show. It's a real fly-by-night affair.
A tragedy, really. I'm surprised that Funimation didn't reach out to Brad Swaile (if they did at all).
At least Hayato kinda sounds like his original English VA.

So, I guess we're just gonna wait till the rest of the origin gets animated. If it will...
Seto Kaiba

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am Yeah, way to go, Degwin. :lol:
Yeah, I don't think he was expecting that... I think he just wanted someone to commiserate with over what a total disaster Universal Century politics were.

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am And ultimately seals his fate.
It was working fine until the Gundam showed up and Char poked his oar in again.

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am And yet, Side 5 was meant to be destroyed at the Battle of Loum.
This is why this continuity bugs me. Changing events to be inconsistent with the previously established timeline isn't always a good thing.
IIRC there were still intact colonies in Side 5... Delaz's forces were based there after the war.

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am A tragedy, really. I'm surprised that Funimation didn't reach out to Brad Swaile (if they did at all).

So, I guess we're just gonna wait till the rest of the origin gets animated. If it will...
Looks like they intend to leave it as it is, ending right at the start of the original series plot.
The Macross Mecha Manual
BrentD15

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm
BrentD15 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am A tragedy, really. I'm surprised that Funimation didn't reach out to Brad Swaile (if they did at all).

Looks like they intend to leave it as it is, ending right at the start of the original series plot.
A shame, really.
The OG Gundam series could really use a proper remake.
Epic SA-X Guy

Funimation didn't dub it, NYAV Post did. If Funimation had dubbed it they might've been able to get the Canadians back because they have links there.
BrentD15

I guess that just shows how little I know about localization. :shrugs: