The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

nickh46 wrote:I'm wondering whether naming the cat Lucifer is a deliberate homage to Cinderella, the antagonist's main cat was named Lucifer as well.
:shock: That's true. I'd forgotten, having not seen that particular movie in ages.

Then of course we have the whole little witchling outfit for Artesia, plus the fact that her father had Messianic delusions. :P Could just be another biblical reference, and a strange one at that.

So. Anyone care to explain what exactly becomes of Astraia? I don't care about spoilers from next episode, 6 months is too long for little ol' me. Are we to assume that hideous old woman murders her? Does Ghiren (Omedeto!) the Genius get up one morning and decide she has to go?

On a note about the actual episode: I liked the tower scene with the children and their mother. It was given quite the fairytale spin that meshed perfectly with the story. Have to say this is the best Gundam material I've viewed in a loooong time. :D

EDIT: That board game (is it called Gou or something like that?) was just creepy with how it dramatized putting down a game piece. Great way to make Ghiren scarier already. Plus he figures out what dear little sister was up to aaaall along. :) Makes one believe we now have a legit reason for why he didn't expect Kycillia to get worked up so bad about murdering Degwin in MSG: he thought she'd "understand". :P Them Zabis, such a wonderful, charming choice for the new rulers of the evolved Human race. :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deathzealot

If I remember the original Origin comics Astraia passes away due to her being sick of something or another. I don't remember what though.
Amion

Deathzealot wrote:If I remember the original Origin comics Astraia passes away due to her being sick of something or another. I don't remember what though.
I can take a guess. Being the princess trapped in the tower with her husband's old flame breathing down her neck. Oh yes, pun intended. 8)
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Xenosynth

The episode was really good. Sayla's voice actress did a great job with the role and easily stirred up tears for my girlfriend and I when it came to her talking to Astraia. Char came off really well, legitimately creepy as a child, but not completely unfeeling. Gihren's introduction was really good, rather than just talking about how smart he is, we even get glimpses of this (Such as him playing Go in his down time.) Kycillia was very interesting, much moreso than I remember her being in MSG, and I enjoyed her forceful personality. Dozle comes across as a giant softie, doing things when told to, but obviously still having qualms with it (Such as when the Guntank he thinks Casval and Sayla are in is destroyed, his face is absolutely horrified at what he thinks happened to them, even though he did allow the order to go through.) Ramba Ral and Hamon both were very awesome as well, having very good comedic moments while still being badasses. Jimba Ral as the paranoid codger was interesting because even though he's somewhat right, he still comes across as a bit crazy.
Zeonista

nickh46 wrote:
Post subject: Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I Reply with quote
nickh46 wrote:
I'm wondering whether naming the cat Lucifer is a deliberate homage to Cinderella, the antagonist's main cat was named Lucifer as well.

:shock: That's true. I'd forgotten, having not seen that particular movie in ages.

Then of course we have the whole little witchling outfit for Artesia, plus the fact that her father had Messianic delusions. :P Could just be another biblical reference, and a strange one at that.
The creators must be allowed their little jokes, not to mention the viewers, like my friends speaking of "Sayla's Delivery Service". :roll:
So. Anyone care to explain what exactly becomes of Astraia?
It was a terrible case of plot disease, man, just terrible. Or maybe she caught some of that lead poisoning that seems to afflict Mr. Putin's critics. :P
EDIT: That board game (is it called Gou or something like that?) was just creepy with how it dramatized putting down a game piece. Great way to make Ghiren scarier already. Plus he figures out what dear little sister was up to aaaall along. :)
Symbolism! And wholly character relevant too. :D I do believe that the fanon conceit that Saslo was on good terms with Gihren will have to be corrected....not that Gihren ever seemed to be buddy-buddy with anyone....
Sayla's voice actress did a great job with the role and easily stirred up tears for my girlfriend and I when it came to her talking to Astraia.
That's classic UC, tugging on the heartstrings like a stuck door. Megumi Han (Artesia's seiyuu) comes by it as a fine tradition; her mother Keiko Han was the seiyuu for Lalah Sune. ;)
Char came off really well, legitimately creepy as a child, but not completely unfeeling.
I didn't see Cassovel as being creepy, he was however by contemporary standards unusually articulate and emphatic for a boy-child still in smart pants. A look at Disney TV & Nickelodeon programming by contrast shows just how dumbed-down the characterization for children has gotten in the USA. (In respect, much of the young protagonist characterizations in the 21st century anime haven't been so strong either.) Young Cassovel is a throwback to the young protagonists of classic "boy's stories", and he is his father's son...to a point. But know we know he came by his mother complex honestly. :D
Gihren's introduction was really good, rather than just talking about how smart he is, we even get glimpses of this (Such as him playing Go in his down time.) Kycillia was very interesting, much moreso than I remember her being in MSG, and I enjoyed her forceful personality. Dozle comes across as a giant softie, doing things when told to, but obviously still having qualms with it
The classic concept of "show don't tell" is well expressed in Gundam the Origin, and it translates into the anime quite nicely. Part of the fun of the pre-MSG storyline is showing everyone before they got to their original iconic anime starting points, and this is particularly true for the Zabi family, who didn't get much screen time to explain themselves. However, the origin story here catches the Zabi brood at the start of their respective development into their 0079 selves: Gihren the cold manipulator-manager, Kycilia the woman in a man's world, Dozzel the loyal Munster, and Garma the cute afterthought.
Ramba Ral and Hamon both were very awesome as well, having very good comedic moments while still being badasses.
I would definitely watch a spinoff series based on these two. 8)
Jimba Ral as the paranoid codger was interesting because even though he's somewhat right, he still comes across as a bit crazy.
Is it really paranoia if you know "they" really are out to get you? Still, it was both amusing & bemusing to watch Jinba Ral take himself completely out of the political equation. Part of the Zabis' seemingly irresistible rise to power was the complete lack of any meaningful political opposition, and Gundam the Origin sets that at the very beginning of the Principality of Zeon. (Screw any intermediary process, Munzo republic to Zeon revolutionary dictatorship, get it going now!) The Zabis quickly moved to fill the political vacuum caused by Zeon Zum Daikun's death while everyone else was saying "what next" and any sense of a true republican governing body seems to have halted right there. The Federation at Dakar was obviously well behind the curve to the point of irrelevance, except for providing a symbol of oppression for popular resentment.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deacon Blues

Zeonista, where do you get your naming conventions from? It's Casval and Dozle.
Zeino

So important question that I'm not sure has been asked already or not, is The Origin OVA going to become the official backstory for the original anime TV series/movie trilogy or is it going to be treated like how Zeta: A New Translation was? I know that Sunrise's only real rule to the idea of Gundam having a canon is if it's been animated then it's official and that fidelity to Yas' vision is the number one priority above all for The Origin OVA, but other then The Guntanks, is there anything else that really contradicts what has been shown onscreen or told rather sketchily before?
toysdream

That's an important question that we've already been discussing for the last few pages of this thread. Perhaps you'll find some answers there... :-)

-- Mark
Zeino

Oh yeah, now that I actually take a look, it has been already discussed and the answer so far that others have reached seems to be "maybe". I was just thinking if Sunrise wants to graft it on to the original version, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to do and they can just handwave any discrepancies between them away.
Gundam420

Zeonista wrote:A look at Disney TV & Nickelodeon programming by contrast shows just how dumbed-down the characterization for children has gotten in the USA.
Batman The Animated Series, Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, Gargoyles, Justice League, Avatar, and Legend of Korra would like to have a word with you.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Zeonista

Gundam420 wrote:
Zeonista wrote:A look at Disney TV & Nickelodeon programming by contrast shows just how dumbed-down the characterization for children has gotten in the USA.
Batman The Animated Series, Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, Gargoyles, Justice League, Avatar, and Legend of Korra would like to have a word with you.
Heh, you've really cherry-picked the lot of 'em, haven't you, but I stand by my statement for the bulk of depictions of any character his age +/- a few years since 2001. Gargoyles, BTAS & associated Justice League are old enough to vote, they fall outside my 21st century cutoff point, if you remember aright.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
BrentD15

Gundam420 wrote:
And then there's Codename: Kids Next Door, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and the list just goes on...
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Gundam420

BrentD15 wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:
And then there's Codename: Kids Next Door, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and the list just goes on...
And Transformers Prime.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
gunform1010

Gundam420 wrote:
And Transformers Prime.
Now that's a favorite. Never forget TFP! 8)
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Has there been any word on a regular (as in a non-collector's edition) Blu-Ray release at a cheaper price?
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Deacon Blues

PV for Episode 2 is out.

- Starts out with a "running" test of the prototype Zaku. Feddie guntank fires on it.
- Cue title.
- U.C.0071
- Sayla is looking out the window up at the moon
- Cue Casval defending Sayla from the guy in the suit of armor
- Mirai and her Father appear
- A young Amuro is seen
- Casval and Char high five on a horse
- Cue Crowly singing in the night club (I wanna know who the singer is! Sounds good!)
- Ral fights at Club Eden
- Ral meets one of the Tri-Stars
- Two prototype Zaku's duel it out, one of their heads gets lopped off
- Artesia at Lucifer's grave. Casval standing on a hill as the wind blows...
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Deacon Blues wrote:PV for Episode 2 is out.

- Starts out with a "running" test of the prototype Zaku. Feddie guntank fires on it.
- Cue title.
- U.C.0071
- Sayla is looking out the window up at the moon
- Cue Casval defending Sayla from the guy in the suit of armor
- Mirai and her Father appear
- A young Amuro is seen
- Casval and Char high five on a horse
- Cue Crowly singing in the night club (I wanna know who the singer is! Sounds good!)
- Ral fights at Club Eden
- Ral meets one of the Tri-Stars
- Two prototype Zaku's duel it out, one of their heads gets lopped off
- Artesia at Lucifer's grave. Casval standing on a hill as the wind blows...

Here is the English trailer for Episode II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPlZp7Qw0A
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
killmikekill

It was interesting to see Amuro and Mirai in the preview.
Zeonista

Well, I don't know how the second installment is going to open, but I know how it is going to end. "Saraba, Artesia." "Onii-sama-a-a!!" I had thought the second installment would concern Zeon MS development, and it promises to deliver. (Rock 'em sock 'em prototypes! :D) Looks like the Tri-Stars got Ranba Ral recruited for the ZMF, since he's obviously too good to rot in a nightclub. And none of you will ever be able to read Goodnight, Moon the same way again.

Jak Crow

I think they've reached the point where all instances of mobile suits and battles in Gundam series need to be CG now.