The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Turn-A Binker wrote:I would imagine that Bandai would want to sell some more model kits, including the RX-78-2 which everyone will buy a HG or MG Origin version.
Seems they have no trouble releasing and selling a bagillion versions of the RX-78-2 without remaking the show.

The purpose of most remakes is to bring in a new audience who never experienced the original. But the AUs already do that: they draw in new fans who might potentially seek out the other installments of the franchise. For the already established fans, they don't need a remake since they're already familiar with the original. Instead we get new content like this aimed at those fans that they can appreciate fully precisely because they know the original series.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
excalibur2008

gunform1010 wrote:
monster wrote:
RLZIII wrote:Maybe we will have to wait a bit longer for an actual animated remake of Mobile Suit Gundam.
Do we even need a remake?
No. If you can't get over the animation quality, leave. Besides, continuity is already shot in the foot.
Wow Gundam really is the Japanese equivialnt of Star Trek becuase its fundy fans sound just like fundy Star Trek fans.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Just watched the first episode on Daisuki, and all I will say is that Operation Rescue Lucifer is now my favorite moment in Gundam! It was so cute and adorable!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
monster

excalibur2008 wrote:Wow Gundam really is the Japanese equivialnt of Star Trek becuase its fundy fans sound just like fundy Star Trek fans.
At least for me, it has nothing to do with that, whatever that is.

As I've already seen MSG, I'd rather they spend time on making new stories. I don't even particularly care for manga/novel adaptations, even though it would be new for me if I'm not familiar with the source material.
Turn-A Binker

Chris wrote:I still don't see how that would work. Four movies, even with a running time of two hours, just wouldn't be enough time to give the series the adaptation it deserves. You would basically end up focusing on some of the new back story stuff, with the 0079 stuff moving at a super fast clip, even faster than the MSG movie trilogy. You, and more broadly, the fanbase, are just going to have to accept that this is not going to be the full-scale MSG remake that fans want. Sunrise has had plenty of opportunities and anniversaries to do such a remake and hasn't done so. That's not to say they'll never do it, but I wouldn't spend any of my time hoping for it.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you, that's why what I said was speculation.
penguintruth

I haven't checked out the English-dubbed version yet. Has anyone heard it?
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
nickh46

penguintruth, I was pretty impressed by it. They did a great job with the cast. Kycilia was a standout.
gunform1010

excalibur2008 wrote: Wow Gundam really is the Japanese equivialnt of Star Trek becuase its fundy fans sound just like fundy Star Trek fans.
I suppose. The second part is more that "a remake to make a consistent continuity is stupid".
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
penguintruth

Just spent another $7 for the English version, and yeah, pretty good. It owes a lot to Kirk Thornton and Wendee Lee. Liam O'Brien was good as Gihren, though he didn't have many lines.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
Kratos

Just what I've been saying this entire thread: a remake of MSG isn't needed, and may not even be entirely desirable, from Banrise's point of view, despite the (apparent) fan clamour for one. The original show and movies are popular to the point of being sacrosanct, still command a huge pop culture presence, and still reliably sell merchandise without an expensive animated remake behind them. Maybe it will come in the future and maybe it won't, but I don't think it's hard to understand why they would opt not to make one.
gunform1010 wrote:I suppose. The second part is more that "a remake to make a consistent continuity is stupid".
And that isn't even what a remake based closely on THE ORIGIN would do anyways, considering the manga doesn't incorporate any of the later stuff (i.e. nothing from 08th MS Team, 0080, or IGLOO) that work in other Gundam designs and projects. No Ground Gundams or GMs, no plans to make a Newtype Gundam for Amuro, and no mention of the Zudah as an early step in Zeon's MS development. I'm not saying I have an issue with their omission, just that looking to ORIGIN to smooth over those continuity bumps is probably a mistake.

Anyways, hopefully I'll be able to check this out soon. I kinda wish there was PSN streaming; Daisuki doesn't seem to work all that well here in Japan.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

Wendee Lee doesn't really have the voice for Kycilia... it's not deep enough...
killmikekill

It was interesting to see Hamon's reaction to the fact that Casval is the one scoring those kills on the opposing guntanks.
penguintruth

I'm not sure how I feel about Casval getting some kills as a child. On the one hand, it's kind of awesome, but on the other, come on, he's 10 or 11. It almost feels like it was inserted to give Casval more to do in his back story. Still pretty cool, I just wish he hadn't gotten blood on his hands until he put that mask on.
Destiny_Gundam

I didn't mind that. I just took it as showing off his natural talent with a mobile suit.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Deacon Blues

This really has me scratching my head over their ages now... if Casval is 11 in this he must really have a terribly quick growth spurt in his adolescent years. He's supposed to be 20 in MSG but now this makes him 22 and subsequently 36 in CCA... :/ Plus Garma looks way younger than Casval.

Ugh. Damn details.
penguintruth

Well, Kycilia is supposed to be what, 13? 14? Only a little older than Casval! And she looks like she's in her twenties at least!

Yas can't do age.
Kratos

He really can't, can he? At least he realized it was a bit TOO much with Ramba Ral and Chalia Bull, and adjusted them accordingly.

Is there any mention of how old everyone's supposed to be in the OVA?
penguintruth

I think Casval is probably more like eight or nine, since he was apparently born in 0059 according to sources I've seen.

But Kycilia says he's "only 11 like our Garma" (at least the subtitles say this) in this first episode. Is Kycilia just stupid or does Yas have different birth dates for the characters than in the usual official guides?
Kratos

THE ORIGIN manga does fudge the occasional age, and IIRC Char's was one.
nickh46

There's that Casval 0057 sidestory about his birth, so that's one retcon. Cut and dry. Then you can bench mark it by looking at the various characters during that time (Dozle, Gihren, Kycilia), then do a rough guesstimation of their ages.

Not just the Zabis too. Mirai got bumped up a few years (she was 15 around the events of UC 71), and there was a reference to Bright's being 25 years old by the time Side 7 occurs.