The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeonista

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

latenlazy wrote:Wait a second. It's the world tournament. Why isn't Sri's dad there.
It's because he is waiting in the wings for a Dynamic Entry! :D Well maybe not that dynamic, but it would be just like this anime to have Dad watch the final match starring Sei, and then congratulate him on his win.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
kayone73

Kuruni wrote:From my impression before this episode, Aila was set up as ultimate opponent - insanely strong. I were just hope that she would put one heck of fight with duo, but nothing more.

Then this episode come, now I like her as character as well. Now Reiji, you set up the first "flag", don't fumble. Lets me guess abit, Aila would actually go emotional when fighting Reiji, albeit not romantic one - she want revenge for that meat bun!

BTW, I say Sei isn't clueless for China's feeling, seeing how he blush when get that charm.
Yeah he's not clueless, it seems clear he's digging her as well and at least has some clue she maybe into him. But he's not a ladies man, hes your typical nerdy somewhat awkward japanese anime boy and he's formal. But he knows himself and is comfortable with his hobbies and interests and that makes him a likeable and relateable character but he does have his skills (as an ambitious and talented gunpla meister in the works).
AmuroNT1

The fact that Sei still refers to her as "Class Rep" shows that he still sees her as a classmate and friend first; I don't think he's clueless, as evidenced by him getting embarrassed when Caroline called him China's boyfriend. He's just shy and a little awkward since most of his socialization has to do with building model kits.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
latenlazy

monster wrote:
latenlazy wrote:Wait a second. It's the world tournament. Why isn't Sri's dad there.
Work. Beside, it's being televised.

That said, they really should show a scene of him watching at the very least. Since he's not dead, it's silly if they're avoiding him to this degree.
The guy's work is promoting Gunpla. Not sure you'd be anywhere else but the tournament with that kind of gig.
Chris
Administrator

monster wrote:

That said, they really should show a scene of him watching at the very least. Since he's not dead, it's silly if they're avoiding him to this degree.
No, what's silly is how people can't stop talking about him when clearly he serves no purpose in the story right now. If there was a reason to show him, he'd be shown.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Compass

I don't know if the comparison has been made, but Ash Ketchum's dad hasn't been seen yet (to our knowledge) and we've been on a what... 13 or 14 season stint?
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
bullethead

Chris wrote:
monster wrote:

No, what's silly is how people can't stop talking about him when clearly he serves no purpose in the story right now. If there was a reason to show him, he'd be shown.
The thing is that rule works for adult characters, but it raises a whole lot of questions if the character is a child, which is why there are tons of wild theories about what happened to Sei's dad. Given what the absence of a parent can do to kids, it makes sense to ask why Sei's dad is absent when the show doesn't bother to explain it and the answer is fobbed off on to a website most of us can't even read, especially when all it takes to deal with the absence is a one line thing about getting a call from Sei's dad.
Compass wrote:I don't know if the comparison has been made, but Ash Ketchum's dad hasn't been seen yet (to our knowledge) and we've been on a what... 13 or 14 season stint?
Isn't that why there's all that speculation that Dr. Oak or whoever is actually Ash's dad or something? Because people have been wondering about that for a while.
Chris
Administrator

bullethead wrote:The thing is that rule works for adult characters, but it raises a whole lot of questions if the character is a child, which is why there are tons of wild theories about what happened to Sei's dad. Given what the absence of a parent can do to kids, it makes sense to ask why Sei's dad is absent when the show doesn't bother to explain it and the answer is fobbed off on to a website most of us can't even read, especially when all it takes to deal with the absence is a one line thing about getting a call from Sei's dad.
"Most of us" can read the English description on Gundam.info where it says:
Gundam.info wrote:Sei's father, a famous Gundam fighter and runner-up in the second Gunpla Battle World Championships. He voyages the world, sending advances in Gunpla back home to his wife and son at the Iori model shop.
That's it. What more do we need? This is a lighthearted Gundam comedy series, not a typical series where a character's parents and emotional states plays into things. Sei clearly isn't affected by his dad's absence, so why do Western fans feel the need to waste so much time speculating about a bunch of nonsense? Again, if he has a role to play in the story, we'll see it when the time comes. But until then, all the discussion about why he's not around is the forum equivalent of constantly asking "are we there yet?" on a long car trip.
Destiny_Gundam

AmuroNT1 wrote:The fact that Sei still refers to her as "Class Rep" shows that he still sees her as a classmate and friend first
Not necessarily. In Japan what you call some one is an important indicator of your relationship. China is Sei's class rep, therefore he calls her class rep. He might begin calling her by name in his mind, but he won't change it outloud unless he asks her if he can (or she asks him to do so). Just suddenly using it would be similar to just blurting out his feelings.

Sei really would be dumb not to develop some feelings for her. She's one of the few anime love interests who does it right. She supports and has an interest in his hobby, she's genuinely kind, caring, and patient with him, she's there to help him out when he's having trouble, knows when to give him space, and doesn't force her feelings onto him. All those violent clingy jealous tsunderes could learn a thing or two from her.
latenlazy wrote:The guy's work is promoting Gunpla. Not sure you'd be anywhere else but the tournament with that kind of gig.
Why would he promote gunpla at the one place where everyone is already into gunpla?
Chris wrote:Sei clearly isn't affected by his dad's absence, so why do Western fans feel the need to waste so much time speculating about a bunch of nonsense?
Cultural differences. In Japan it's normal for the man of the house to devote himself to work for the sake of supporting his family. Him being overseas for business is not a big deal. However Westerners tend to think that the father should take a direct role in their children's lives and if they don't do so that's bad parenting. If we don't come up with some legitimate reason for him being away he might come across as some horrible guy who abandoned his wife and child.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
latenlazy

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Why would he promote gunpla at the one place where everyone is already into gunpla?
Taking time off to attend the big annual event when you're already renowned in that particular world is not unusual in the sports and entertainment business...maybe even expected?
Strike Zero

I agree that it does seem like the World Championships is something that Sei's father would attend, if for nothing else but in order to root for his son. But, then I also feel as though it's not something we need to be worrying over so much.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mythgarr

No one talks about Sei's ability to PROGRAM his gunpla before fighting?
Visit The Dreams
monster

Chris wrote:No, what's silly is how people can't stop talking about him when clearly he serves no purpose in the story right now. If there was a reason to show him, he'd be shown.
He already serves the purpose of being an influence on the main character. And the fact they bothered to actually keep him related to the show though his work makes it not silly to talk about him.

If he was more like Ash's dad and actually have no presence at all in the show, then sure, there's really no reason there to talk about him so much.
Chris wrote:Again, if he has a role to play in the story, we'll see it when the time comes. But until then, all the discussion about why he's not around is the forum equivalent of constantly asking "are we there yet?" on a long car trip.
It's more like asking, "Can we stop by here for a second?"
latenlazy wrote:Taking time off to attend the big annual event when you're already renowned in that particular world is not unusual in the sports and entertainment business...maybe even expected?
That's only true if he is to be featured somehow in the event. Otherwise, considering no other past competitors were seen either, I don't think his absence would be noticed.
latenlazy

monster wrote: That's only true if he is to be featured somehow in the event. Otherwise, considering no other past competitors were seen either, I don't think his absence would be noticed.
Well you don't have to be a feature for it to be normal for you to attend these things. It's not like Michael Jordan has to be involved in some event to attend the NBA All Stars or the NBA finals. Sports stars could also just be there for business, since these sorts of big time events are also where a lot of business related to a sport is discussed or done. I'm not saying that Sei's father SHOULD or MUST be there, just that it wouldn't be beyond expectation. No other past competitors who aren't competing are SHOWN to be at the event, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Anyways, I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about. My bets are that he's actually there and they're just waiting to spring him up as a surprise (Dynamic entry as someone earlier called it XD).
monster

latenlazy wrote:Well you don't have to be a feature for it to be normal for you to attend these things. It's not like Michael Jordan has to be involved in some event to attend the NBA All Stars or the NBA finals. Sports stars could also just be there for business, since these sorts of big time events are also where a lot of business related to a sport is discussed or done. I'm not saying that Sei's father SHOULD or MUST be there, just that it wouldn't be beyond expectation. No other past competitors who aren't competing are SHOWN to be at the event, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Anyways, I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about. My bets are that he's actually there and they're just waiting to spring him up as a surprise (Dynamic entry as someone earlier called it XD).
Oh sure, he could show up, even without his son being there, considering he's obviously a fan. But since he's not there, his work and the fact the show is televised anyway probably makes it easier for him to decide not to show up.

Of course, we only just started the competition, so who knows, he might just be late, or the dynamic entry explanation.
Chris
Administrator

monster wrote:He already serves the purpose of being an influence on the main character. And the fact they bothered to actually keep him related to the show though his work makes it not silly to talk about him.

If he was more like Ash's dad and actually have no presence at all in the show, then sure, there's really no reason there to talk about him so much.
Again, what's silly here is the insistence of fans to assume there's some deep reason or make a big deal about him not showing up. This show isn't working on that deep of a level, and people who keep going on and on about Sei's dad are looking for something that isn't there. And Pokemon isn't about Ash's dad either, so even if his job was Pokemon-related, it doesn't matter if they don't show him. When there's a time to show Sei's dad they will, probably at a dramatic point near the tournament's end. Before that, there isn't any point trying draw so much out of it.
monster

Chris wrote:Again, what's silly here is the insistence of fans to assume there's some deep reason or make a big deal about him not showing up. This show isn't working on that deep of a level, and people who keep going on and on about Sei's dad are looking for something that isn't there. And Pokemon isn't about Ash's dad either, so even if his job was Pokemon-related, it doesn't matter if they don't show him. When there's a time to show Sei's dad they will, probably at a dramatic point near the tournament's end. Before that, there isn't any point trying draw so much out of it.
There was no expectation at all that Ash's dad will show up, especially considering the son is going on a journey.

Build Fighters, on the other hand, already has the dad appearing in the show. And considering his work, and the relevance of this competition, I don't think it's asking too much to be able to see him watching the competition (assuming he's not actually going to attend) in one frame with no dialog required. It's not going to drastically change whatever level of deepness this show wants to have (and it doesn't have to), but it's still just a nice thing to see.
Kuruni

Hmm...

If they show Takeshi watching television without saying a word, people would recognize it as Zeta Amuro's homage.

Now, I start to think that despite being user of RX-78-2, he may NOT be Amuro counterpart and the staffs don't want to mislead us (I said "may", it's just speculation).

Second, it was done by Kira before, and while it was actually done right, we all know where it lead to...
My girlfriend was a loli.
monster

Actually, if anything is silly about the fans, it's thinking that Sei's dad is a counterpart for Amuro. That's just my opinion anyway.
Kuruni wrote:Second, it was done by Kira before, and while it was actually done right, we all know where it lead to...
The greatest comeback ever? More of that, please. :)

Anyway, that kind of comparisons don't really work.
Arbiter GUNDAM

monster wrote:Actually, if anything is silly about the fans, it's thinking that Sei's dad is a counterpart for Amuro.
I agree with that.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion