The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk III

AmuroNT1 wrote:And it's not really a problem so much as I'm trying to understand if there's a reason people were fawning over this character other than, well, underage breasts.
From what I'm seeing it's not that, it's "HNNNNNNNNNNNNRG SHE'S SO ADORABLE!!!" A sentiment I don't particularly disagree with.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

From my impression before this episode, Aila was set up as ultimate opponent - insanely strong. I were just hope that she would put one heck of fight with duo, but nothing more.

Then this episode come, now I like her as character as well. Now Reiji, you set up the first "flag", don't fumble. Lets me guess abit, Aila would actually go emotional when fighting Reiji, albeit not romantic one - she want revenge for that meat bun!

BTW, I say Sei isn't clueless for China's feeling, seeing how he blush when get that charm.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Compass

The special modes appear to have numbers assigned to them:

Speed - GB-770/1050
Aqua - GB-707/1050
Rifle - GB-717/1050

I assume these are move classifications? If so, there's 1050 types of moves? @_@
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
daigundam lagaan

AmuroNT1 wrote:Just to elaborate my position from the last topic, the two big reasons I'm not a fan of Aila...

-Lalah Clone: Part of the reason I love this series so much is because it's Gundam, but at the same time it's not. Sunrise at times acts like they'll shrivel up and die if they don't make a Gundam series with a Char Clone, a Doomed Girlfriend, and all the other tropes they've beaten to death over the past 30 years. Build Fighters might pay lip service to some of these (like Yuuki being the show's "Char"), but it's still largely doing its own thing. Aila is such a blatant example of the Lalah Sune archetype that it's not even funny; if it wasn't for the fact that the show is mostly a light-hearted buddy comedy, she WOULD be dying in some melodramatic, gut-wrenching fashion. I really don't want to see this series fall into the same rut that Gundam's been wearing out for years.

-Mary Sue: She pops out of nowhere, is an instant expert at Gunpla Battle...AND is arguably the best player in the world. Yes, Reiji has some of that going for him, but he still has to struggle and earn his wins; he would have lost against the Apsaras if not for Mao using the Love-Love Tenkyo-Satellite Cannon, and he DID lose against Yuuki. I know that the heroes will always win when it matters, but at least they're making it look like Reiji needs to put forth effort to win. Aila, however, beat the former world champion off-screen and later one-shotted three world-class players without even moving her Gunpla. As for the Devil Gundam fight, I'm kind of iffy on that because it didn't have the DG Cells going for it and therefore was mostly defanged.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I would appreciate it if this didn't turn into some kind of huge fight. I really would like to know why people love this character so much, when today's episode is the first time we've seen anything resembling a personality from her.

Though I will say, I can't fault her for loving meat buns. Because meat buns are freaking awesome.
It's really just a first impression kinda thing. I mean until now, we saw Aila as nothing more than a sort of asset to a company, and she's just doing what she's being ordered to do. It was a pleasant surprise to see her this way. And personally, Lalah tropes don't bother me that much, which is probably why I've been following the franchise for years.

I personally don't think I'll like Aila as much as I like China now that you mention it. With China, you see her grow in her relationship(as friends) with Sei and his friends and family. You see her interact with them and learn from them to the point where she really wants to be involved and support Sei. With Aila, she might end up have only that Moe aspect throughout the entire show for all we know. I remember back then alot of us had high hopes for Asemu and even Kio as characters. But from what I saw of her so far, I think she's adorable and it's nice to see her have a human side as well as an amusing scene with Reiji.
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, with China we knew from the start she was a sweet girl and she's been pretty consistant with that. Aila's cute side came right out of nowhere. The more unexpected something is, the greater the impact. A lot of people are riding that high right now.
iCards

To anyone who has seen Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's did you think Stardust Dragon when Star Build Strike first got its wings?

Also, I think Cole Mcgraph and Every Assassin's Creed Hero would be proud of Aila's parkour abilities.

One thing I can say about this series after watching Star B. Strike is that the only limit for how strong the Gunpla's are in this series is the limit of the Builder's imagination. The original Strike could only dream of putting on a show like that.
Dark Duel

Is it just me, or do the wings seem like
Spoiler
Moonlight Butterfly?
No, I would say it's more like a WoL version of Wing Zero Custom's angel wings.
iCards wrote:To anyone who has seen Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's did you think Stardust Dragon when Star Build Strike first got its wings?
I thought "Stardust Dragon" when I first heard its NAME. I thought it looked like the bastard child of the Strike Gundam and Gundam F91 when I saw what it looked like.
And when I saw those wings, I was like "Holy crap, it's like Zero Custom's angel wings, but made of light!" By the way, Strike Freedom is sitting over in the corner, being MASSIVELY JEALOUS at how much more awesome Star Build Strike's blue Wings of Light are than its own.
Honestly, I think we have seen the coolest-looking V2 homage...well, ever.

Oh, my freaking GOD, Aila's facial expressions in this episode are adorable at times. And the whole thing with her and Reiji is just funny. You know what Aila in this episode reminded me of? Allenby Beardsley, only not as awesome.

Given my user name, is anyone surprised that I was highly amused by the presence of that custom-colored Duel Gundam? Though I'll have to rematch the ep, because either my mind is playing tricks on me in the midst of the massive fangasm I had over an upgraded Strike Gundam variant being an order of magnitude more awesome than Strike Freedom, but I seem to recall seeing it get destroyed by the Geymalk twice.

To nobody's surprise, I am sure, the Wing Fenice has been replaced as my wallpaper.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zeonista

Hey, this episode was lots of fun, both charming and cute, not to mention all the mad MS on display. (I want a Zaku Ni-sen and a Gelgoog with detachable hoop skirt.) Reiji and Aila of course got all the fan buzz, but they deserved it after that highly entertaining way. Ah, the tragedy of a fated meeting, separated by... a meat bun. High drama! :D It was also gratifying to see AIla having a bit of Four in her as well as Lala, sneaking out to have fun & meet a Gundam hero instead of staying in her posh suite like a good girl. Sei ended up alone at the meet-and-greet, where he got to meet Mao's zoot suit and Kirara doing her Meer Campbell routine. (Speaking of Sei, I do believe he has gotten a clue about China now. :wink: )
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I will chip in to the Aila conversation and say that I personally don't see the Mary Sue comparison at all. She is built up as insanely strong and emotionless, nothing new to Gundam, anime or even just stories in general.

And I don't think anyone was really enthralled with Aila until this episode (at least here on mechatalk). Looking back on the last thread, most people were either 1) disappointed that we didn't see her MS fight when she went up against the previous champ, 2) thought it was cool how she beat down the Devil Gundam, 3) Talked about how over the top her suit was, specifically that helmet.

I had some positive feelings towards her simply because it has been a LONG time that we have seen a girl in Gundam THIS strong (girlpower from me? shocking!)...and she reminded me a lot of Soma from 00 S1 (not just personality, but a little in design). So I was starved for a character like this...so I was more then a little biased towards her from the get-go.

However, just as Destiny_Gundam said, I love her now because of Aila's out of this world adorableness. I just want to hug her when she smiled at that Meat Bun. Quirky, loves food, and a very powerful pilot to boot? Yes please! Plus, she has a mysterious side and plenty of room now to develop further and form relationships with the other characters (I really want to see Fellini hit on her now...it will be amazing).
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Outlaw

This was indeed a nice epi, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that Aila's Ice Queen switch does indeed have an off position.

I'll agree that the Aila fandom may have come out of the gate a little strong but I don't think there is one clear reason for it. Maybe it's the hair? White/Ash Blonde hair is pretty hawt not to mention pretty rare (at least it is in magical sparkle reality land). I disagree with the Lalah comparison though, as I always felt Aila was closer to a more stoic version of Allenby.
Kuruni wrote:BTW, I say Sei isn't clueless for China's feeling, seeing how he blush when get that charm.
I think the hints have been there for awhile, and I would even venture to say the feeling is likely mutual.
I doubt it was intended but Sei really seems to display several tendencies of having anxiety problems and I think his relationship with China is one example. They are very clearly at least friends now and yet he still doesn't refer to her by name in any way shape or form. I realize that name culture is different in Japan but you would think at this point he would have at least started using her last name.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Destiny_Gundam

Dark Duel wrote:Given my user name, is anyone surprised that I was highly amused by the presence of that custom-colored Duel Gundam? Though I'll have to rematch the ep, because either my mind is playing tricks on me in the midst of the massive fangasm I had over an upgraded Strike Gundam variant being an order of magnitude more awesome than Strike Freedom, but I seem to recall seeing it get destroyed by the Geymalk twice.
The first shot just destroyed the Duel's bazooka.
Dark Duel

Ah yes, I saw that upon rewatching it.
Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention, but Fellini? Absolutely hilarious in this episode. Not just at the whole reception when he randomly starts fanboying over 08th MS Team (which I wholeheartedly approve), but the next day when he's so hung over he looks like he's about to hurl on at least two occasions, and he STILL manages to kick some serious tail.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mythgarr

No doubt, Fellini might be the best pilot of them all,
if he doesn't get drunk each night before fighting in the tournament.
Visit The Dreams
latenlazy

I gotta say...I was skeptical, and there are things in this series that are sillier than I care for...but I think Build Fighters has really grown on me .___.
Gundam420

Khandri wrote:That poor Virsago Chest Break, getting wiped out by Aila before it had a chance to even do anything...
Actually it was the normal Virsago. The wings give it away.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Gundam420

AmuroNT1 wrote:I never said anyone around here was fanboying over Aila...I was just asking over here because I trust you guys to give honest and thoughtful answers more than the other groups I hang out with.
Well from a story perspective it makes sense for her to be uber powerful. Why? Well here's the thing: She and Nils are super powerful antagonists to create tension, leading us to wonder how our protagonists will win. To create drama, excitement. If your villains are easy to beat, well what's the point? Sei and Reiji may have a souped up Gundam on their side now, but I'm still wondering how they're gonna take these two on.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
latenlazy

Wait a second. It's the world tournament. Why isn't Sri's dad there.
YokozunaBulldozer

Hip hop hooray for blue plastic particle wings
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
monster

latenlazy wrote:Wait a second. It's the world tournament. Why isn't Sri's dad there.
Work. Beside, it's being televised.

That said, they really should show a scene of him watching at the very least. Since he's not dead, it's silly if they're avoiding him to this degree.