Dragon Ball (And Shonen in general)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: Dragon Ball (And Shonen in general)

I don't know about our thoughts on long running shounen differing all that much, Soma. At least, I can't think of any we've discussed. OP has indeed been formulaic from the beginning, and it's losing some steam as you said. Couldn't agree more, even if I'm still enjoying it, mostly. The latest chapter wasn't to me liking. So if you're not as impressed post Marinford, you're far from alone on that front.

As for Magi, I at one point in time really thought it was the best shounen I've ever read, period. I too, love the geopolitics and willingness to tackle the complex issues of a world. It's just to me the series somehow hasn't managed to grab me after the (Spoilered for those who haven't read):
Spoiler
Alma Toran arc. Now, I for one didn't mind it at all and enjoyed it, barring a couple chapters. :)

The best part was definitely David. I still think the scene of all the present day characters reflected in his eyes while he holds one hand up like a monocle was perhaps the best choreographed scene in recent memory (at least for what it is, not having any action or glittery explosions). Problem was, I actually feel that arc was too short. I'd have loved to get a bigger feel for Alma Torran than we got. To feel for the people who would one day become Al Thamen. The two members who lost their son and ultimately were driven to call down the Black Dot. They had a passably good enough backstory, but there could've been more. The story as it was was good, but suffered from being neither short enough for the flashback haters and not long enough for historian minded me, and those like me. (Assuming that mystical group of others exist outside my head. :D )

In short, I think the Alma Toran story should have been approached as more a full-fledged stand-alone piece within the manga itself, despite me knowing very well that is just wishful thinking on my part, and one not held by most. So much happens and isn't fully expounded upon, like when they created the Metal Vessel technology. It's all there, the explanations, but they're not given the focus I truly wished for. Instead we get Arba and Sheba and the attempt at red hearings to confuse readers as to who Gyoukuen was in the past.

(Phew, you know what, I almost recall trying to make a Magi thread waaaaaay back when Silver August was on here discussing it. My posts are getting long enough to warrant creating one, me thinks.)

Balbadd, well, I guess if you didn't buy into the friendship with Cassim, it makes sense that you didn't find it to your liking. It's not most people's cup of tea. Though the fights were great and well-drawn. But this is how I looked at it: it was a deeper question about what it means to be a leader, about the different paths some people might take to it, along with the internal struggle Alibaba held inside about what he wanted out of it all. Not to mention the whole ordeal with the king of Balbadd being... what he was. I admit, it WAS a slow burner, and I hated it up until around the time Alibaba readied to take action. Yet in retrospect I found it a great arc, flaws aside. I still think the finale outweighs the negatives. And I'm biased, since that scene with Cassim saying "Everyone has the qualification to be King!" still gives me shivers. :D Ahem...

And Magnoshadt was awesome. I loved every bit of it. The fear of something dreadful happening, the secrets, the too-good-to-be-true Megomett. It all could have culminated into... ok it DID culminate into an EPIC finish. It could have passed for the ending of the series and still managed to be good enough. The fact that it wasn't gives me hope for a great ending to Magi, still. It's just I feel almost like Magi is suffering from One Piece's issue of burnout. Not from formulism, but from giving us its best and now having to try and outshine itself. It's trying, but there's just... so... much.

You know, I think the secret with Magi is that it's so different from regular weekly shounen that me reading it week by week blinds me to some of the merits that were apparent to me when marathoning it several years ago. Perhaps a reread would be good for me.
Sorry for the essay! And yes, Hakuryuu never did feel like a villain to me. His story was just too intense and moving for me to despise him. Glad you didn't find his character despicable, Soma. :)
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
YokozunaBulldozer

So one manga that I look forward to seeing an anime adaptation these days is a superhero manga called ONE-PUNCH MAN.
Fun fact is that it is originally drawn by a manga artist named ONE as a hobby, so he does not get paid for it(he does draw another manga called Mob Psycho 100 for a living).
However, the one that gets published is a re-make by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame and is also the one that will be adapted into an anime.
I have only seen bits and pieces, but hope to get the tankobons and watch the anime if it ever gets picked by streaming services.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Raikoh

But One Punch Man is published in a Seinen magazine.

I'll admit I haven't read it but I saw it in an import manga store and laughed at the frankness of the title. Then more time on the internet had me see the concept and it looks like a great setup for a comedy series but a horrible concept for any possibility of a serious storyline. Not that it matters, straight comedy manga seems to be scarce these days.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
YokozunaBulldozer

Raikoh wrote:But One Punch Man is published in a Seinen magazine.

I'll admit I haven't read it but I saw it in an import manga store and laughed at the frankness of the title. Then more time on the internet had me see the concept and it looks like a great setup for a comedy series but a horrible concept for any possibility of a serious storyline. Not that it matters, straight comedy manga seems to be scarce these days.
Yeah, times like this I miss Sugoi-yo Masaru-san.
Closest thing to straight comedy these days would be Gag Manga Biyori I guess.
Henyo

i am enjoying Saint Seiya Sould of Gold(POKEMON! XD) even if its not from Kurumada. can't get enough of those Cloths!

also going back to B't X, what many usually call SAINT SEIYA WITH SCIENCE!
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Thoughts on the first episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Not a bad first episode but not great either. It was nice to see other characters getting a lot of screen time besides Goku. It's also nice to see Goku doing some honest work besides just training and fighting bad guys. On the other hand, noting really happens in this episode and if you're not a fan of Dragon Ball there's not much here to entice you to watch it.

As far as the OP and ED are concerned, they're not bad but not doing much for me. The OP isn't quite as catchy as that remix they did of Cha La Head Cha La they did that you can find as the OP for DB Xenoverse.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

wow. Japanese dragonball still sounds weird to me..and Goku uses "Ora" huh? goes to show how childish he can still be. and still a candidate for bad father. XD
YokozunaBulldozer

Henyo wrote:wow. Japanese dragonball still sounds weird to me..and Goku uses "Ora" huh? goes to show how childish he can still be. and still a candidate for bad father. XD
But his horseradish harvesting skills though :mrgreen:

Recently re-watched some Sket Dance eps and boy does Sugita deliver when he plays fools with deadbeat voices. And Yoshino Hiroyuki who we all love as Junya from GBF TRY and Allelujah/Hallelujah from Gundam 00 really has the perfect Japanese straight man or tsukkomi voice. When he layeth the tsukkomi/straight talk in that angry shouting voice it is hilarious.
SaintEvolution

Does anyone here read One Piece manga? Or see Dragon Ball Super?
SlowTurtle

Ok just wanted to point this out, please checkout team four star's rip on dragon ball z. Never laughed so hard an it did get me through some hard times.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Henyo

B't X..(Blazblue default announcer voice.) FINISH!

Neo's ending implied a Kill em all...i don't feel it to be honest...but with an enemy like Raphaelo(think devil gundam)...yeah..on thing i hate about the anime is not showing Ron, Fou and hokuto's battle gears...

now then....might finally get to watch Hokuto no ken..where should i begin though? any tips people?
Raikoh

Henyo wrote:now then....might finally get to watch Hokuto no ken..where should i begin though? any tips people?
Honestly, I haven't seen other sources but I think that the first anime series is one of the all-time greats. I've seen scenes from the compilation movies and they just don't have the same charm to them, the pacing and direction are flashier but not as dramatic and they replace the awesome soundtrack with a more generic one. Also, the original voice cast is much, MUCH better than any of the alternatives.

The anime does have a ton of filler, though, so if you don't want that then go right for the manga.

I haven't watched Dragon Ball Super yet. While I typically never watch dubs, Nozawa just kills any chance of me enjoying the Japanese version. I get WHY she's always used as the voice, but it doesn't change the fact that it sounds awkward and stupid for every member of Goku's family to have the same old lady voice.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

Raikoh wrote:
Henyo wrote:now then....might finally get to watch Hokuto no ken..where should i begin though? any tips people?
Honestly, I haven't seen other sources but I think that the first anime series is one of the all-time greats. I've seen scenes from the compilation movies and they just don't have the same charm to them, the pacing and direction are flashier but not as dramatic and they replace the awesome soundtrack with a more generic one. Also, the original voice cast is much, MUCH better than any of the alternatives.

The anime does have a ton of filler, though, so if you don't want that then go right for the manga.

I haven't watched Dragon Ball Super yet. While I typically never watch dubs, Nozawa just kills any chance of me enjoying the Japanese version. I get WHY she's always used as the voice, but it doesn't change the fact that it sounds awkward and stupid for every member of Goku's family to have the same old lady voice.
original anime yeah. nothing could really top Kamiya Akira's ATATATATATATA for Kenshiro.(and a friend of mine said that one of the authors didn't like his Kenshiro voice.)
having mentioned dubs, any recommendations on shonen anime that's godo to watch in dubbed form? Bleach is the only one i'm used to. you can thank JYB for that.(Power Ranger's Adam and Trigun's Vash.)

i have to agree on Nozawa's voice. this is one of those rare times that the english voice fits the character better. Tagalog Goku sounds more impressive to be honest.