The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mark II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
xaos

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mark II

Is it something to say I'm even getting my parents who don't care about Gundam into this show? I enjoyed this episode too, though I agree with Proteus that something should have been done to not have a lot of those battles be off screen.

Extra awesome for Ral saying the same thing he said to Amuro about winning because of the suit. XD I really am wondering if it is him or someone so obsessed with him they got plastic surgery and began to practice sounding like him.
Destiny_Gundam

He could be an otakukin!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
M-308 Gunner

xaos wrote:Is it something to say I'm even getting my parents who don't care about Gundam into this show?
Similar story here. My wife's enjoyed a few anime shows here and there but nothing from the Gundam stable; I showed her the first ep of Build Fighters and she loves it. Although her comment on ep 3 was "there was a lot of fighting..." Hopefully the show will keep a good balance of character and gunpla, because I did feel like ep 3 crammed two episodes worth of battles in it to the detriment of the cast.

(It probably should have kept it to the battle with the old poopy Zeon fans, then a climactic one with the Italian guy and Reiji. I felt a little cheated when they threw in the "We fought 200 times" deal. Not even a training montage? And save the first tournament battle for ep 4.)

I'm also hoping we get to see some capable female pilots. Crossing my fingers that China's whole purpose in this show isn't to fail miserably and make the dudes look cooler. (Side note: My wife refuses to acknowledge that Sazaki is a boy)
Destiny_Gundam

M-308 Gunner wrote:I'm also hoping we get to see some capable female pilots. Crossing my fingers that China's whole purpose in this show isn't to fail miserably and make the dudes look cooler.
While I don't think she'll fail miserably (if she even fights at all), keep in mind that her gunpla is a Beargguy. The entire concept of that unit is a joke.

Ms gunpla idol seems like she'll also be a comedic character, so I think your best bet is probably that chick with the Qubeley.

At the very least, with this episode alone China becomes better developed than 99% of AGE's female cast.

EDIT: Oh wait, Mao is a girl too, isn't she?
M-308 Gunner

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
M-308 Gunner wrote:I'm also hoping we get to see some capable female pilots. Crossing my fingers that China's whole purpose in this show isn't to fail miserably and make the dudes look cooler.
While I don't think she'll fail miserably (if she even fights at all), keep in mind that her gunpla is a Beargguy. The entire concept of that unit is a joke.

Ms gunpla idol seems like she'll also be a comedic character, so I think your best bet is probably that chick with the Qubeley.

At the very least, with this episode alone China becomes better developed than 99% of AGE's female cast.

EDIT: Oh wait, Mao is a girl too, isn't she?
Points taken. As I'm currently working my way through the UC series I'm just used to there being some female pilots mixed in. (Disclosure: Before starting with Build Fighters, SEED was the newest Gundam series I've watched, and I had only seen a few episodes of it.)
Dark Duel

That's one thing I liked about the UC shows I've seen that has been sadly lacking in a lot of AUs. The occasional female pilot; Chris Mackenzie, Karen Joshua, several in Z and ZZ, an entire team of them in V(which I've admittedly not seen, though I do know that...they don't fare very well). C

In AUs...well, of the ones I can think of off the top of my head, the vast majority have either been some flavor of crazy and/or evil, or else little more than glorified cannon fodder - or both.

Not saying that UC didn't have that particular variety at all (they did - look at Chara Soon, for instance. Or some of my personal favorites, such as Four or Marida). But there were ones that were more or less normal and actually kicked their fair share of ass. Of the latter category, the only one I can think of off the top of my head from an AU series is Noin.
Well, technically, Rain counts too, even though she only piloted an MS like, twice. But offhand those are the only two that come to mind that were at least relatively normal.
EDIT: Oh, and my personal favorite of course, which is X's Ennil El. Can't believe I forgot to mention her.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:EDIT: Oh wait, Mao is a girl too, isn't she?
No idea. Gundam wiki lists Mao Yasaka as male, but you know - Gundam wiki.

Truth is, IMO it's extremely difficult to tell just based on the character's design. Honestly, could be either one. We'll just have to wait for the character to show up to know for sure.

On another note, is it me, or was one of the Zeon-fanboys wearing a Zanscare Empire uniform?
Last edited by Dark Duel on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
monster

Gundam.info also refers to Mao as a male.
Kuruni

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Ms gunpla idol seems like she'll also be a comedic character, so I think your best bet is probably that chick with the Qubeley.
Well, in the kind of "merchadise tournament show", the emotionless competitor is alway incredible strong (completely with some character point out, that despite their incredible skill, they doesn't seem to has fun like everyone else do :mrgreen: ).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Ryujin

Dark Duel wrote:On another note, is it me, or was one of the Zeon-fanboys wearing a Zanscare Empire uniform?
Zanscare uniform & Zanscare gunpla.
domtropen

Wingnut wrote:Here's the Gouf Ral uses.
Aside from the elbow on the right arm being the same as the left instead of rotated 90 degrees like the old one, it matched almost perfectly to the ancient piece of plamo that's probably older then I am.
The old Gouf can rotate its arm around. However all its joints are pure plastic, and without pc the joint can become loose or worst it's too tight and some joints are prone to be broken [especially the hip joint that the leg attach to..... :twisted: ]. The 2-pieces body also means no waist and no skirt movement, so the mobility of the hip is limited and none on the body, hence the frigid dodge.

From today's perspective this gunpla sucks, but at that point in time it is half decent.
Wingnut

Ryujin wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:On another note, is it me, or was one of the Zeon-fanboys wearing a Zanscare Empire uniform?
At least they left out the guillotine this time.

And Dark Duel, Enil El would like a word with you.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
M-308 Gunner

domtropen wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Here's the Gouf Ral uses.
Aside from the elbow on the right arm being the same as the left instead of rotated 90 degrees like the old one, it matched almost perfectly to the ancient piece of plamo that's probably older then I am.
The old Gouf can rotate its arm around. However all its joints are pure plastic, and without pc the joint can become loose or worst it's too tight and some joints are prone to be broken [especially the hip joint that the leg attach to..... :twisted: ]. The 2-pieces body also means no waist and no skirt movement, so the mobility of the hip is limited and none on the body, hence the frigid dodge.

From today's perspective this gunpla sucks, but at that point in time it is half decent.
I'd like to see someone in the show win with a technically handicapped gunpla like Ral's. Maybe with some scoffing at the expense of polycaps and ABS plastic.

On that note, I wonder how the gunpla battle system "grades" the strength of a gunpla. Does it lose points if it's not painted and detailed? Is its maneuverability based on the articulation of the kit? (In which case I guess the RG Char's Zaku II would outrank the HGUC version, upon which the Zaku Amazing is based.)
Dark Duel wrote:Of the latter category, the only one I can think of off the top of my head from an AU series is Noin.
Well, technically, Rain counts too, even though she only piloted an MS like, twice. But offhand those are the only two that come to mind that were at least relatively normal.
Rain totally counts. Domon might have had to rescue her a few times, and she wasn't an ace pilot, but she was definitely on the same level as the boys.
Dark Duel

Wingnut wrote:
Ryujin wrote:
At least they left out the guillotine this time.

And Dark Duel, Enil El would like a word with you.
Oops. Can't believe I forgot her of all people. But yeah, there is her.

I'll have to check into it, but there was one machine in there among the ones that got bowled over by Reiji's Ball that I did not recognize. Pretty sure I also saw one from Turn-A too though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

One from Turn A is Mahiroo, but another...is it the green one?
My girlfriend was a loli.
Strike Zero

Well, the first two suits we see Reiji smack around are the Mahrioo from Turn A and the Shy-Tarn from Victory.

Later in the 5-on-1, we see the same two, plus a Zaku I, Gelgoog Cannon and a Bawoo in standard production colors.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Evex

The units the Zeon fans use are

MSN-01 High Mobility Psycommu System Zaku
RMS-099 (MSA-099) Rick Dias (modified)
RMS-009 Septem
G-838 Mahiroo
ZM-S19S Shy-Tarn
MS-05B Zaku I
MS-14C Gelgoog Cannon
AMX-107 Bawoo

I can't make out what the model clashing with the septem is unfortunately.

Edit

In the tournament we see the following

RMS-117 Galbaldy β
ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior
RX-79BD-1 GM Blue Destiny Unit 1
RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 (modified)
RX-139 Hambrabi
Last edited by Evex on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domtropen

RG would be lost quickly by falling apart after walking around for a few steps or getting some sand/mud into various sliding armor gap :mrgreen:

Some hguc gunplas can be modified into quite articulated ones such as ones based on Old Zaku, GM II/III, etc. In Japan with various customized polycaps, joints, etc readily avaliable it won't be hard for those people to make pretty articulate gunpla that would be close to mg/rg articulation :twisted:
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, that's probably why I'd never play gunpla battle. A casual like me wouldn't stand a chance against pro builders. Same reason I don't play online multiplayer.
yazi88

Evex wrote:I can't make out what the model clashing with the septem is unfortunately.
YMS-09 Prototype Dom, or it looks a lot like it.
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Yeah, that's probably why I'd never play gunpla battle. A casual like me wouldn't stand a chance against pro builders. Same reason I don't play online multiplayer.
I'm in the same boat. From what it sounds like, the gunpla require a great deal of knowledge about the models themselves, not to mention the issue with handling, I'd be where Sei is.

What casual online games I've played all ended very disastrously too.. :)

Speaking of, I find it odd that so many seem to build and fight with their gunpla. The judges have no real issues it appears with Reiji fighting and Sei building, so is a builder supporting a battler with properly constructed models normal or not I wonder? Maybe this will be addressed later but it seems right now that most of the battlers built their own.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.