Valvrave the Liberator thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Valvrave the Liberator thread Mk II

People are likening it to Athrun and Cagalli.

Anyways, another good episode.
Spoiler
I'm leaning more towards coma, since soulless eyes like that usually mean brain death rather than physical death.

I agree that they should have established Marie's memory loss in season 1, but at least they established it a few episodes ago rather than just springing it up now. And she had enough of a presence in season 1 that her being chosen for this particular plot point had some weight to it.

Unlike Aina before her, I feel that Marie's fate has more purpose than just shock value and character motivating. Various things have come to light because of it. We have an idea of how long the Valvraves have been in development, we now know about the memory loss thing, and Pino showed that she's not just some crazy AI program and is capable of being sympathetic.

In regards to the memory loss, it's stated that Marie specifically loses too much. Marie uses her memories as fuel, so I wonder if the scientists decided to have future pilots feed off of others instead. She was Unit 1's pilot like Haruto, yet there's nothing to suggest she ever had vampiric urges. Either that or Haruto and the others loose a small amount of insignificant memories and they simply don't notice. I'm sure they'll look into that next episode now that they know. L-Elf will have to see if he's missing anything too.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
nacho-wan

Wow Marie's character development was tossed into the wind. Literally.
This episode left me speechless. It was so sad and so awesome.
Spoiler
Doesn't anybody think that Marie's memory loss was connected to the extra green glow from valvrave 1's transamish assault on the Dorssian Forces? for one think I'm now less sure what the valvraves and pino are. Given the crystal think Cain had in a cage last season, I doubt they are software at all but some kind sentinel beings.

As for Haruto and L-Elf, I think the current generation of Valvrave pilots feed only on lust, carnal feelings (can't explain i better) as exampled in what happened to Saki last season. I don't think we are going to see the guys losing thier memories.
As for next episode, I hope we get some information on this season's GN part... sorry runes.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Sume Gai

This episode gave us a lot of answers about Runes and how they relate to the Valvraves' functionality.
Spoiler
It's pretty safe to say Valvrave I's Incredible performance likely had to do with how many runes were being drawn from the pilot. We also have one concrete source for those Runes in the form of memories. Of course I wonder if are there other sources of Runes. Even prior to the shutdown in episode 13 Haruto didn't exhibit noticeable memory loss.

I'd say we're about to see some doubts among our pilots in the coming episodes with what happened to Marie. Also Saki may be hanging out with Dorussians for a while.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Wellman

With the next episode titled Rune Abyss, I'm sure we will get more details regarding what exactly they are and how they feed the Valvraves.
Amion

At Destiny:

I agree it's nice to see Pino being developed, but i'm beginning to suspect she was more malicious before her memory wipe the scientist guy performed.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Vent Noir

Hopefully when Valvrave makes it into Super Robot Wars (I'd say that's pretty much inevitable), Marie will be saveable.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
iguanaman8989

Spoiler
More body-snatching space vampire shenanigans.
Also, when will Haruto realize that L-Elf is a Magnificent Bastard and more than willing to throw away the lives of any of the students to further his own plans? At least it makes Haruto easy to manipulate.
Is H-Neun dead? Personally, until they show the body, I don't find it likely. It looks as though they went ahead and stole his body because he was there and it would be easier than silencing him otherwise.
bullethead

I think this episode pretty much confirmed it - the Magius are transhuman 4chan users who suck info out of others to survive. It's the only explanation for all this trolling.
Ferrus_Manus

It seems that the Magius ship is going to Module 77. I hope they have at least some means of defence (maybe the seventh Valvrave). On the other, it is going to be interesting to see what kind of mech the Magius have.
Iron in Mind. Iron in Body
FieryBlitz

I'm going to be honest... I didn't like the explaination on how the Valvraves use Runes at all. Marie seriously died because the Valvraves ate up her life after she ran out of memories? This isn't envoked emotions, mind you. I am legitimately p*ssed because it makes no bloody sense at all.

Why can't the Valvraves just shut down when the pilot(s) run out of runes necessary to continue operation? It's a much better solution than just killing of a character for the sake of drama.
Strike Zero

What?!

Are you implying, good sir, that Valvrave pulled a plot device straight out of its ass simply for the sake of invoking a cheap sense of drama? How profoundly absurd!

Valvrave is a show with writing of infallible quality that treats its characters with the utmost respect! It would never stoop to such B-grade tactics designed solely to draw a reaction out of its audience! I don't know where you get off insinuating such a thing!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

FieryBlitz wrote:I'm going to be honest... I didn't like the explaination on how the Valvraves use Runes at all. Marie seriously died because the Valvraves ate up her life after she ran out of memories? This isn't envoked emotions, mind you. I am legitimately p*ssed because it makes no bloody sense at all.

Why can't the Valvraves just shut down when the pilot(s) run out of runes necessary to continue operation? It's a much better solution than just killing of a character for the sake of drama.
When have shady government weapons development programs ever cared about pilot safety? They have a whole school full of replacements.
Strike Zero

Alternatively... perhaps this is a scheme set up to allow potential Valvrave pilots to be able to bed any girl they wanted!

"Yeah, I'm running low on Runes, so I'm gonna need you to assist me with... heh, heh... replenishing them."

Bow chicka bow wow.
Compass

Oh yeah, because that's totally original... right Shirou? :roll:
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Amion

Well I enjoyed the episode, especially the moment L-Elf broke his calm facade in front of Haruto, it helped to show he's a human too, but forced into the unhappy reality that he will never have a Vavlrave of his own, at least for now.

I see Shoko is going to become the damsel in distress shortly. :P Maybe she'll get sacrificed, but I'm not lucky enough for that to happen.
Strike Zero

Amion wrote:Maybe she'll get sacrificed, but I'm not lucky enough for that to happen.
It's more likely than you think.

Killing Shoko would be the perfect way to complete Haruto's journey towards becoming a Dark Hero™, a tragic figure who must STEEL his resolve so that he may take all SINS of he and his friends unto himself, while struggling to overcome the FEAR and DESPAIR of being forced to bear a WRETCHED CURSE that will render him HEARTLESS, an EMPTY SHELL OF A MAN who has SUFFERED the COMPLETE and UTTER obliteration of the VERY FABRIC OF HIS MORTAL SOULLLLLLLL.

You know, for kicks. :mrgreen:
wielder

But see, at this point that would be far too predictable and in line with what Haruto already wants.

You also have to factor in the future bits, which make the curse seem more ambiguous or outright positive.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Destiny_Gundam

I think we've had enough "Haruto loses his resolve but then regains it" developments.

Besides, Akira is the godmother of the prince. That suggests to me he's descended from Shoko.
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I think we've had enough "Haruto loses his resolve but then regains it" developments.

Besides, Akira is the godmother of the prince. That suggests to me he's descended from Shoko.
I'm confused, Destiny. the kid's name is Akira? Oh dear. If they kill the true Akira I will pitch an ever living tantrum fit only for 4chan (or what I've heard of the place). That, and if he's a relative to the prince, that makes me immediately think of A-drei. An unnerving thought. How does this relate to Shoko?
Strike Zero

What the hell are you talking about? The white-haired kid seen in the flash-forwards is the "prince," and Akira is his godmother.