Kill La Kill Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Overlord Zaru

Kill La Kill Thread

Seeing how there isn't one yet...

So yeah, series is out. Never felt so pumped since Gurren Lagann.

Who else loves this series?
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Strike Zero

Re: Kill La Kill Thread

Yeah, the first episode was pretty neato. The themes and tones of Gurren Lagann + Panty & Stocking meets a high-school setting = batshit fun. And having a girl with a rocking figure in stripperific combat gear as your protagonist doesn't hurt either. :mrgreen:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
bullethead

I really dislike the combat outfit for two reasons: 1) because the show was doing just fine without it and 2) it makes it harder to convince people to give the show a shot. The outfit just feeds into the general western perception of anime as something only fit for horny teens and creeps, which is a real shame, because aside from the outfit, there's a lot for the common person to like.
Strike Zero

W-well, I'm not a teenager anymore, so does that make me a creep? ._.
bullethead

Strike Zero wrote:W-well, I'm not a teenager anymore, so does that make me a creep? ._.
Only to people unfamiliar with anime beyond the stereotypes.
Strike Zero

Ah, so in other words, only to plebeians. Good news! :mrgreen:
schwarz ritter

bullethead wrote: 2) it makes it harder to convince people to give the show a shot. The outfit just feeds into the general western perception of anime as something only fit for horny teens and creeps, which is a real shame, because aside from the outfit, there's a lot for the common person to like.
These sorts of attitudes never cease to make me grin in amusement.

But whatever.

Hilarious episode, looking forward for more. It reeks (in a good way) of Symphogay meets TTGL meets Shin Mazinger.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Ryujin

All else aside, the technical & production aspects of this show alone are well worth the watch.

Iirc, Studio Trigger has rather limited resources, with KlK's production apparently aided in part by a Kickstarter infusion for the 2nd episode of LWA. Nevertheless, they made full, creative use of various budget-saving animation & camera techniques to achieve a high level of visual impact.

Two thumbs up for Imaishi & Co. As for Senketsu's risqué design, it airs on late-night Otaku hours anyways.

Interesting how Senketsu absorbed that one golden thread from Matoi's opponent...lots of speculation material there.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

bullethead wrote:2) it makes it harder to convince people to give the show a shot. The outfit just feeds into the general western perception of anime as something only fit for horny teens and creeps, which is a real shame, because aside from the outfit, there's a lot for the common person to like.
Wait…you think THAT will turn a person off to this anime? I am not saying I like the outfit or disagree with your assessment that it is unnecessary (although it could be argued it fits the tone…and I went into this anime with the expectation of seeing stuff like this), but do you really think a “common person” would be able to get into this show if it WASN’T for that outfit?!

If something like that occurred in Attack on Titan…I would understand your statement, but a crazy show like Kill La Kill? I wouldn’t recommend this show to anyone who wasn’t already INTO anime. In the first five minutes,
Spoiler
we got Hitler winning WWII, a huge man kicking down a steel door that smashes into students, a kid who uses a smoke bomb to escape while the huge man literally JUMPS off the building to catch up, and promptly kicks him away for MILES, who then puts on a 1-Star Goku Uniform that SOMEHOW gives him speed, the large man throws him into an impossible number of wall then STRIPS HIM NAKED and SOMEHOW THE UNIFORM IS PRISTINE, the sun(?) shines behind the student counsel president (WHO FOR SOME REASON IS IN CONTROL OF THE SCHOOL, what is this VALVRAVE?!), then we get our main character...just eating a lemon...whole...
and…honestly that is in the first five minutes…need I go on?

Again, I agree that the uniform is unnecessary fanservice…an a perfect example of a trope that is only getting more and more prevalent, over-the-top, and unsubtle in recent years…but don’t pretend THAT is the reason why an average person couldn’t get into the show. The people I know wouldn’t get past the first minute…let along FIVE. They would shake their head and constantly question WHY and HOW and WHAT is HAPPENING.

BUT, because I love this studio (Gurran Lagann and FLCL ftw) I can shake my head, smile, and turn my brain off. That is what this anime is…brain off, AWESOME ON…and honestly…it KNOWS it. As much as I don’t think it was necessary, the combat outfit was just another exclamation mark on the resounding shout of this anime.

So I am looking forward to more…but that preview…’SO SEXY, I AM GOING TO FAINT’….

Anime of the year ;)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Wellman

I like it, can't watch in a room with people I respect and/or who I want to respect me but I like it.
ZeonsSilverStar

Alright I just marathoned the first four episode and to be blunt I found the show to be strange to say the least. That being said I intend to watch every single episode and I intend to enjoy them all. Yep I have a feeling that Kill la Kill will end up being my favorite show this season.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
hitokirigarou

It feels like a combination of various Go Nagai high school manga and Sukeban Deka.
Zeonista

Yeah, pretty much like that for me. :lol: I am a big Go Nagai fan, and having people from Gurren Lagann on the production team to add overclocking madness to the story doesn't hurt either! Yeah, this is one of my faves this season, and a nice counterpoise to Valvrave.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Mythgarr

This is a like breath of fresh, pumped up air!
the skimpy battle armor though....well...
Visit The Dreams
FieryBlitz

Wow. Just wow. This week's episode is pretty damn heartwarming underneath all that hot-blooded madness.

Also, Satsuki Kiryuin is now my favorite anime villainess. Getting your enemy into taking down all of your incompetent One-Star and Two-Star subordinates? That magnificent b*tch.
Last edited by FieryBlitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryujin

I laughed really hard when Ryuuko was fighting the Folk Dance Club. That synchronized kicking was so darned hilarious.

Great episode, with all sorts of zaniness.
Zeonista

FieryBlitz wrote:Wow. Just wow. This week's episode is pretty damn heartwarming underneath all that hot-blooded madness.

Also, Satsuki Kiryuin is now my favorite anime villainess. Getting your enemy into taking down all of your incompetent One-Star and Two-Star subordinates? That magnificent b*tch.
Satsuki-sama is the ero-dream girl for all followers of Nietzche, and the #1 sincere villain for the season.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
soulfire916

I might for this one to end, it seems cheesier than gurren lagann (though I did enjoy gurren lagann, I do like to take my anime a bit more seriously.)
It's a spartaaan!

Xbox LIVE: HG Soul Fire
PSN ID: SoulFire916
Steam ID: id/SoulFire916/
NNID (WiiU): SoulFire916
Zeonista

soulfire916 wrote:I might for this one to end, it seems cheesier than gurren lagann (though I did enjoy gurren lagann, I do like to take my anime a bit more seriously.)
Actually, Kill la Kill has some serious things to say about power, the desire and exercise, and ends versus means. The message is wrapped up in mighty action, mighty posing, and mighty fan service, but pay attention, but it is still there just the same.