Free!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Free!

I'm mostly curious to see who here is willing to try this show.

If you haven't heard of it, it's KyoAni's newest series about an all male high school swim club. That's right, it's not cute girls like KyoAni's known for, but hot guys instead. So expect lots of female aimed fanservice.

I gave it a shot for the lulz but it ended up being rather enjoyable. It's got the light hearted silliness I like in shows similar to K-ON, it's just that they're all dudes this time. There are at least 2 female characters that look like they'll be important.

KyoAni is known for their amazing animation and that holds true for this show. The attention to detail on the look and movement of the guys' bodies are quite impressive.

So if you aren't some one who overreacts to "homo" stuff, give it a shot.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
yazi88

Re: Free!

I was a big fan of Ouran Host club and it also focused a lot on female aimed fanservice.

If this show is actually funny I don't mind giving it a shot as well as there being no actual yaoi scenes.
Compass

Kurogane's got a guest blogger talking about it, with screen caps. Let's just say that I would feel very awkward talking about this anime, much less watching it.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

So after watching this the first episode of Free!, I have to ask...where is that scene where the guys compare dick sizes and begin grabbing them? You know, like all anime girls do with their breasts? :p

Sorry I am feeling a little raunchy today. Must be all the shirtless men in that episode...I think I drooled all over myself.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
AmuroNT1

I'm too busy laughing at the people who are acting like this show is equivalent to Satan himself walking the Earth, and yet if you did a show about a swim team full of cute girls, they'd be declaring it the best show of the season, if not decade.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Destiny_Gundam

Well, that goes without saying since the vast majority are straight males. They can't get off to this stuff. Plus KyoAni has 'betrayed' them.

Haruka does make a pretty good girl, though.

I do have a thing for those kinds of swimsuits so I would like a show about a female swim club, but I'm enjoying Free! for what it is. I'll always have Umisho, at least.
Deacon Blues

*snorts* There are so many homoerotic undertones to this show I'm dying... (and I'm gay so go figure)

Love the ending theme though.

This looks hilariously interesting.
iguanaman8989

I enjoyed the first episode, and I think I'll make this one my guilty pleasure for the summer.

Nice to see that sort of fanservice for a change. (gay here also)
Destiny_Gundam

Episode 2 in the books. It continues to be a fun show and I feel it does a good job at hitting multiple audiences. KyoAni fans were quick to feel betrayed when the show was announced, but I think Kou does an excellent job difusing that somewhat. I'm glad it looks like she'll actually have a role, unlike other titles like this that shove their female characters into an irrelevant corner *coughprincesoftenniscough*
iguanaman8989

I'm enjoying this show so far as my first shot at a sports anime. I'd probably enjoy it even without the eye candy.
Soma Taozi

As a girl, I am watching it simply FOR the eye candy. But the fact that it has a fun story doesn't hurt :)

That and I am trying to understand the science of how they just kind of explode out of their clothing...like...seriously...how?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Years of practise, I'm sure.
iguanaman8989

Had a sneaky suspicion since the first episode, but upon finally pausing to check, the guys are dancing in some sort of gay club during the ending. Given the outfits of the other people around, a leather club.
Destiny_Gundam

Such a club should know better than to let high schoolers in...

Anyways, episode 3 further cements Free's status as a solid, enjoyable show. The guys are fun to watch on their own, but Kou really makes it all the better. Not only are her reactions priceless, she is actually contributing to the club rather than just being the token female character. Ama-chan has her great moments as well.
Amion

Watched episode three, had to say this was the most solid for me, didn't feel quite so yaoi. I'm loving Gou-I mean, Kou a lot in this series, she's like an island of female fanservice in a sea of guys. It's hilarious watching her ogal their muscles ceaselessly, I guess now we know the real reason she joined the swim team, if only she ends up with the red haired dude, I'll be satisfied.

But deltoids? I'd think she would be more impressed with something else on Ryuugazaki, or maybe this is me and my shoulder injury feeling ashamed about ourselves. :oops:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
iguanaman8989

I'm incredibly annoyed that the boys didn't come across a swimsuit ad featuring Ama-chan while shopping.
Conversely, I realize they are likely building up to a big, ridiculous reveal later, so I can be patient.

Also, even more gratuitous fan service than normal in this episode with Rei's stretching routine and an extended swimsuit try-on montage, that even manages to exhaust Kou.
Destiny_Gundam

I saw that as the creators acknowleding that such bits can be overdone. They also seem to know when to put a running gag to rest, as Kou has given up correcting her name.

Still, this was another great episode that gets in good humor and some serious character moments.
Soma Taozi

This show just keeps getting better. At first I watched it just for giggles, intending to drop it after a few episodes...but dammit it has me invested in the story and (surprisingly) the characters. I was NOT expecting to be taken by storm by this show.

That and water has never looked so sexy....EVER! Seriously, I am swimming more now because of this show. I came for the fanservice and stayed for the story (and those deltoids, humina humina HUMINA).

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Soma Taozi wrote:I was NOT expecting to be taken by storm
Rei wasn't expecting it either! *Ba dum tish*

But yeah, I also just watched it for the lulz, just to see what it was like because everyone was flipping out over it, but it totally won me over.
Soma Taozi

Oh lord lol :)

Oh and after this recent episode, if anyone can find a clip of Kou/Gou saying barbecue in an endless loop, I would be one happy girl.

Seriously that was the cutest thing I have ever heard in anime.

-Me, 7/19/2020