OYW from Zeon Civilian's POV?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

OYW from Zeon Civilian's POV?

Are there any works that show the One Year War from the POV of Zeon civilians? We've seen it so far from Neutrals (0080) and from the Federation (many scenes in MSG and 08th MS Team) but never from Side 3 from the looks of it. I always wondered if it was a situation similar to Germany and Japan in WWII where the civilians thought the war was going great for them until the very end and they didn't realize the horrors that had been committed by their side until after the war...
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Kratos

Re: OYW from Zeon Civilian's POV?

"The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi" is the closest to that description that I've ever come across, but I'm not really sure even that counts; my memory of it is hazy, but I think it mostly involves government officials.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
mikethemod1992

One of the Gundam Legacy mangas also has a view from inside Side 3 during an attempted coup, but I think that was just before the OYW. That and MS IGLOO has these propaganda reels, which i'd assume are broadcasted to the general population. But apart from that I cant think of anything. Would definitely be interesting, though....
The fall of the Titans, Axis risen the power as Neo Zeon, the colony drop of Dublin, Neo Zeon's attempts of dropping Axis on Earth and the death of Amuro and Char were all caused because one douchebag Titan solider thought that one angsty teenager's name sounded like a girls name.
Zeonista

You have found the last real unexplored territory of the One Year War, the Principality Home Front. :) We get hints of it here and there from the conversations and memories of the military characters in MSG and later-placed episodes, but no one has really gotten the Zeon common man's POV. We have seen the civilian lifestyle of the elites, but the home life of the guys and gals who make and supply the Zakus and Magellas and Musais gets skipped over entirely.

There are a few factors that seem to get in the way.
1. Gundam stories are all about the MS, to some extent. Non-MS features don't seem to get past the submissions desk.
2. A Zeon home front story would necessitate a Zeon protagonist, and possibly *gasp* imply a protagonist who supports the war against the Federation! :o Yeah, that might be a tough sell at the submissions desk too.
3. A Zeon protagonist who doesn't support the war isn't interesting or sympathetic, unless they do something about it. The problem with the "Side 3 Bonhoeffer" story is that the Zabis have long since crushed all organized opposition to their rule, and the termination of the rule of the Zabis was not accomplished from within, but at Aboawaku.
4. The war never touched Side 3 directly. Heart-tugging stories about civilians caught up in the tides of war don't fit in, either.
Last edited by Zeonista on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Zeonista wrote:You have found the last real unexplored territory of the One Year War, the Principality Home Front. :) We get hints of it here and there from the conversations and memories of the military characters in MSG and later-placed episodes, but no one has really gotten the Zeon common man's POV. We have seen the civilian lifestyle of the elites, but the home life of the guys and gals who make and supply the Zakus and Magellas and Musais gets skipped over entirely.

There are a few factors that seem to get in the way.
1. Gundam stories are all about the MS, to some extent. Non-MS features don't seem to get past the submissions desk.
2. A Zeon home front story would necessitate a Zeon protagonist, and possibly *gasp* imply a protagonist who supports the war against the Federation! :o Yeah, that might be a tough sell at the submissions desk too.
3. A Zeon protagonist who doesn't support the war isn't interesting or sympathetic, unless they do something about it. The problem with the "Side 3 Bonhoeffer" story is that the Zabis have long since crushed all organized opposition to their rule, and the rule of the Zabis was not accomplished from within, but at Aboawaku.
4. The war never touched Side 3 directly. Heart-tugging stories about civilians caught up in the tides of war don't fit in, either.
1.) This and reason 4 are probably the biggest reasons we haven't seen any Zeon civie stories, at least in animated forum. Gundam without mobile suits is like DBZ without overly long fight screnes or Goku doing something stupid :P Still don't see why we can't have a one-shot manga or something...

2.) I really don't see how that's a problem, considering how every non-Tomino UC story has the Zeeks be at best no better or worse than the Feddies (even though they're the ones that killed half the human populace) and at worse somehow actually being the doomed moral victor or some BS like that (0083 comes to mind).

3.) I actually would like the protagonist to be someone who supported the war, or at least had friends/family fighting and wanted them to win. Then as the war ends and the atrocities come to light to have to come to terms with have they supported a bunch of fascist mass murderers and despots. Again, the parallels to WWII Germany and Japan are already there...

4.) See reason 1.
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?