Sunrise in talks for more license rescues!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Sunrise in talks for more license rescues!

Sunrise is in talks with Funimation and Sentai to re-release Bandai Entertainment titles! (Much like Rightstuf picked up Gundam Unicorn, and Discotek picked up Blue Submarine #6). I think we all hoped for this, but it's great to hear that negotiations are on. At the very least, some great shows will hopefully be rescued. But maybe this will open doors for new releases down the line, as well.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ent-titles
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
RLZIII

Re: Sunrise in talks for more license rescues!

Sounds great. Would be nice to get a copy of the recent (but now out-of-print) Mobile Suit Gundam DVD release; always wanted to pick it up. Who knows? If we are really lucky, perhaps we will get a Blu-ray release of MSG after the Blu-rays hit Japan later on this year. That would be something I'd dish out some good money for. This also is good for other Gundam releases in the past that I didn't have the chance to pick up, or even some new Gundam releases (such as Gundam SEED HD or Gundam AGE that both have official subs already). Not holding my breath, but of course official versions of V, X, and Turn A would all be nice as well.
wielder

I'm happy about it, but this almost certainly applies primarily to Sunrise shows that have already been released over here. In other words, things we've seen in the marketplace before but which got suddenly discontinued and ended up as out of print when Bandai closed its doors.

That said, I think it's safe to consider that this may allow for potential BD releases of the top titles.

I'd still assume any unreleased Gundam series are going to be handled separately from these talks though.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Bryant Molirse

Dear god no! Do not let Funimation near Gundam! I can't stand them. Their voice actors all suck, their marketing is horrible, and don't get me started on their dvd release rate. The only thing I respect them for was how they handled FMP TSR after ADV went under, but that's it. We would be entering the "Dark History" if they DBZ'ed Gundam. (Before anyone says what does that even mean? I mean 3 episodes a disc, at over $20 usd a pop just for dvds).

Edit:

I figured, like always, I made my post a little to simplistic, and because of that people wouldn't get the full scope of why I say these things. If Funimation gets the licensing for Gundam, the following will happen.

Anime -
Gundam Info on youtube would stop putting out subbed episodes for free, and remove all english subbed episodes from the channel immediately. These episodes would then only be available through Funimations services, which I don't remember if they are subscription based, or free streaming, (I think theirs are subscription based through Crunchy Roll, but I don't remember) but their releases would not be immediate. They would be staggered, and more then likely there are things we would not see again for a couple of years, and this would be for existing series. And that's even if they chose to host all of it. Some things could just simply disappear, and not be seen again through official channels. Anything newly produced/aired would be a premium deal I'm sure.

Games -
We might actually get games brought over here, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. There has been quite a few games brought over by Funimation, but again this is hit or miss, so don't get your hopes up about it.

DMCA -
I cover this as a separate category because of how many things this can affect. Funimation is one of the hardest hitters when it comes to going after fan subbers/translators. If this deal also includes manga, books, etc (cross material licensing), it could effect people even here. I say this because they could attempt to go after existing translations, even from before they even acquired the licenses.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
Sinquser

^I don't think any those reasons are big issues. I doubt the current free streams would stop (besides, most of the series uploaded on youtube are private anyways, or region locked). I have no problems with Funimation. "Eh" about Sentai, I have never bought any of their products.
Amion

I must admit that I don't know much about Funimation, but I have heard many things that give me some uncertain feelings should this happen. Nothing is saying it will just yet, so no reason for me to freak out. I have heard some of their dubs. The acting is horrible, and I personally prefer Japanese with subtitles.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Chris
Administrator

Bryant Molirse wrote:We would be entering the "Dark History" if they DBZ'ed Gundam. (Before anyone says what does that even mean? I mean 3 episodes a disc, at over $20 usd a pop just for dvds).
Yeah that was over a decade ago when all anime were released at 3-4 episodes per disc. That's not done anymore, so this point is irrelevant.
Bryant Molirse wrote:Gundam Info on youtube would stop putting out subbed episodes for free, and remove all english subbed episodes from the channel immediately. These episodes would then only be available through Funimations services, which I don't remember if they are subscription based, or free streaming, (I think theirs are subscription based through Crunchy Roll, but I don't remember) but their releases would not be immediate. They would be staggered, and more then likely there are things we would not see again for a couple of years, and this would be for existing series. And that's even if they chose to host all of it. Some things could just simply disappear, and not be seen again through official channels. Anything newly produced/aired would be a premium deal I'm sure.
Wow, so you admit that you don't even know what you're talking about, but you're complaining anyway? None of what you're saying here has any basis in reality. Funimation makes their streams available for free on their own site and on Hulu. Yes, they have premium services available, but so much of what they offer is free. Honestly, between this and your other points you sound like an angry fanboy ranting because you just hate Funimation, not because you have any legitimate complaints.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Khandri

Bryant Molirse wrote:Dear god no! Do not let Funimation near Gundam! I can't stand them. Their voice actors all suck, their marketing is horrible, and don't get me started on their dvd release rate. The only thing I respect them for was how they handled FMP TSR after ADV went under, but that's it. We would be entering the "Dark History" if they DBZ'ed Gundam.
Oh good, I'm not the only one who doesn't want Funimation anywhere near the Gundam franchise. The thought of them handling and then potentially dubbing the unreleased series utterly terrifies me, especially if they had Vic what's-his-face (who I despise immensely) as any of the lead characters. And I'm also old enough to remember when they massacred everything they got their hands on (DBZ is a good example), so I'm still not entirely over that either.

Bang Zoom for any possible future Gundam dubs, please. They've done some of the best dubs out there.
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
Sinquser

I have only heard two dubs from Bang Zoom, but they were really bad.
bullethead

If the options are only Funimation and Sentai, I'll take Funimation EVERY time. Even though they've made some mistakes in the past, they at least care about their products and consumers enough to strive for high quality releases in spite of the insane limitations of the anime licensing/dubbing process. Not only that, but they actually know how to leverage social media well, as opposed to most other licensors, who seem to have token online presences.

And let's not forget Funimation's major advantage over Sentai - a close relationship with the only TV network/block willing to put anime on basic cable (Toonami) instead of some on-demand channel. If Sunrise wants to even get close to recreating the success it had back in the day with Gundam Wing, they'll have to get Gundam on Toonami and that's impossible with Sentai (they and the rest of ADV refuse to work with CN/AS for some reason).

And in the worst case scenario, where either one of these companies get the exclusive rights to all new Gundam productions, Funimation's dubbing directors and VAs are at least competent at their jobs. If Sentai got those rights, we'd probably have to suffer through horrible Steven Foster dubs that make the worst Gundam dubs BEI greenlit look like masterpieces.
Xenosynth

o.o Yeah, I have to agree with bullethead. The hate for Funimation seems a bit odd. Sure, they suck at the home circuit but I'll take crappy over non-existent anytime. And honestly how did they screw over DBZ? From my knowledge of the dubs it was WAY better than Ocean Group (By a magnitude of a few thousand) as well as some other things.

At least it ain't 4kids.
Chris
Administrator

Xenosynth wrote:o.o Yeah, I have to agree with bullethead. The hate for Funimation seems a bit odd. Sure, they suck at the home circuit but I'll take crappy over non-existent anytime. And honestly how did they screw over DBZ? From my knowledge of the dubs it was WAY better than Ocean Group (By a magnitude of a few thousand) as well as some other things.

At least it ain't 4kids.
There are lots of people who have had an irrational hatred for Funimation since the early 2000's and never let it go. They think Funi "ruined" DBZ by censoring it and deleting episodes in its early run, which was necessary to be on Saban's syndicated block. They were a very young company at the time and didn't have much leverage against that sort of thing. Heck, they couldn't even make their own DVDs initially and sub-licensed them to Pioneer. Those days are long past and the company is very different today, but fanboy rage knows no limits or boundaries of time.
HellCat

My one concern with the idea of FUNimation getting Gundam is that not all their series get equal treatment. For every well done show you get one when the script editor decides they know better than the original creators and takes massive liberties with the script.

I suppose it's better than Sentai getting it, what with feeling space with ad libbed lines and keeping honorifics in even when most of the VAs can't pronounce them properly.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Xenosynth

Oh lord. There are dubbing companies that actually do that? I thought that horrible practice of keeping in honorifics was like... a fandub thing that no company would actually do. @_@ I was mistaken apparently.

And Iono. I don't remember very many cut episodes and censorship later into DBZ's life since I started watching after the Cell Saga began on Toonami, as well as the DBZ uncut on the midnight run. If they were working with Saban though, yes, they'd NEED to censor it knowing Saban. Overall though I don't mind Funimation getting the Gundam license really.
HellCat

Xenosynth wrote:Oh lord. There are dubbing companies that actually do that? I thought that horrible practice of keeping in honorifics was like... a fandub thing that no company would actually do. @_@ I was mistaken apparently.
Sentai have no clear rule about it. A Japanese name/term might get translated in the subs but not in the dub. Worse, sometimes they translate it but then change their mind. I watched Bodacious Space Pirates recently which swims in this problem. 'Onee-sama' doesn't belong in an officially produced dub. Brings back painful memories of the X Astray release.
Chris
Administrator

HellCat wrote:My one concern with the idea of FUNimation getting Gundam is that not all their series get equal treatment. For every well done show you get one when the script editor decides they know better than the original creators and takes massive liberties with the script.
I highly doubt this would happen since Sunrise is very hands on with all American Gundam releases and approve everything to the smallest levels. They'd probably be similarly demanding if they were to hand the license out to anyone, which of course as of yet they haven't. Let's not confuse a distribution deal with Right Stuf on Unicorn as being the same as licensing series out to other companies.
Deacon Blues

HellCat wrote:'Onee-sama' doesn't belong in an officially produced dub. Brings back painful memories of the X Astray release.
Which was a result of Tokyopop utilizing an earlier version of the script instead of the finalized version as indicated by the translator himself on IRC on night.
HellCat

Chris wrote:
HellCat wrote:My one concern with the idea of FUNimation getting Gundam is that not all their series get equal treatment. For every well done show you get one when the script editor decides they know better than the original creators and takes massive liberties with the script.
I highly doubt this would happen since Sunrise is very hands on with all American Gundam releases and approve everything to the smallest levels. They'd probably be similarly demanding if they were to hand the license out to anyone, which of course as of yet they haven't. Let's not confuse a distribution deal with Right Stuf on Unicorn as being the same as licensing series out to other companies.
I'm pretty sure that if Sunrise is looking to negotiate licenses for Gundam, a brand which all official reports suggest they've kept off the table whilst floating other licenses BEI/Beez had, they're probably considering which partners could help them continue to push Gundam internationally. Right now it's just new publishing for previously released shows but I'm sure it's being considered further.
Deacon Blues wrote:Which was a result of Tokyopop utilizing an earlier version of the script instead of the finalized version as indicated by the translator himself on IRC on night.
Be that as it may it doesn't change that the incorrect script was used and published, much like how the previous Astray titles just made stuff up. I appreciate it's not the fault of the translator if those above them ignore what they're given and can't manage a production schedule but ultimately you have to judge a release by the finished product.
Bryant Molirse

I say I don't remember, and I get called a fanboy. I don't have Hulu, hell I can't get anything better than dial up at my home, so my limited experience with what Funimation has available for streaming on basic Hulu comes from hanging out at my frineds house. Most of what I remember seeing on there was older releases, like Sgt Frog. I don't even remember the rest because I had seen everything they had posted over 5 years before hand when it was originally released by them. But beyond that, lets look at Funimation's track record for the last five years.

They have been caught using fan-subs for translations multiple times.

Has gone on a licensing binge to obtain nearly every marketable title that has come out of japan anime-wise for the last what, 2 and half years.

Funimation supported SOPA, and PIPA, which by their very wording would have put Wikipedia, Google, even MAHQ, in the crosshairs for unlicensed use of copyrighted material, for the use of images, and data pertaining to "licensed propety".

They log tons of DMCA removal requests not just on the sites that have them, but to Google as well. Most time if you do a anime related google search, and see this result was removed due to DMCA, it was Funimation that requested it be removed. Hell I have seen this happen to anime music videos before. Not shows, fan edited music videos. And they do this for series they haven't even licensed.

Funimation has a track record of trying to sue anyone, and everyone they can. Hell they are suing Section23 and other companies that were once ADV Films regarding to the sale of assets. Chris Patton (the voice of Sousake from FMP, as well as many other characters) called them out on this one as being a dick move. And he even admits he will probably never work with them again.

Funimation is only interested in one thing, and that is total market domination. Not quality, not fans, but to make as much cash as possible. It's fine that's their business model, but at least own up to it. The fact is they wouldn't be streaming their media at all if it wasn't for the fact it is the only way they have a leg to stand on when it comes to their fight against online piracy. By giving a legal avenue to view their media for free, it allows them to marginalize fansubs. If they didn't the number of people supporting fansubs would skyrocket, and they would have a much harder time finding support for their actions. Much like sacrificing a pawn in chess, this gives them better legal standing to sue, or attempt prosecutions.

Now this is my fanboy comment lol.

Christopher R Sabat should be banned from voice acting for life. He only has 2 voices, and they ruin everything he has ever been cast in. Those voices Vegeta, and Piccolo, have ruined countless anime, and even video games. I was only able to watch Speed Grapher once because they cast him as the main character. Hell I can't even get away from him while playing Skyrim, cause he is the voice for multiple sub characters like the shop keeper at the Drunken Huntsman (why? why? I'm an archer, and why did you have to make him the guy to buy arrows from in Whiterun!!!!!) :P [/speel off lol]
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
HellCat

FUNi have faults but I don't think they're the ones you're describing. They're pretty much the only licensing company that is making money off of Japanese titles and they're generally doing it with a respectable balance. There's the odd title where they just seem to give creative control to the absolute worst person (mainly on comedy shows) but they've made major steps from the company that licensed DBZ. The company you're describing sounds more like 4Kids.