Attack on Titan Anime Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Strike Zero

Re: Attack on Titan

Yeah, but come on man, use your head. Are they complaining about "side characters in general," or are they expressing disappointment about specific people like Sasha, Connie, Ymir and the rest of the trainees?

Well, I dunno, we'd have to wait for Amion to come back and sort that one out, but if it's the latter then what you're saying doesn't really apply in that case.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Amion

I believe a case was Sasha and particularly a Christina, I remember both popping up in earlier discussions as characters with no real meaning or development and were obviously there as landscape or humor.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

My suggested comment is still far less spoilery than what Amion actually went with.
Amion wrote:Wrong! How dare you say that about my Meat Lover! Just you wait when she-asdghjoahdjff*Spoiler Hand chokes my mouth* :evil:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kratos

I started watching this show, and I'm two episodes in.

It's...okay, I guess, but I'm not seeing the show that everybody seems to be talking about. There's a lot of melodrama, but little in the way of an emotional hook; a rushed setup with too much telling and not enough showing; and I'm really finding (most of) the Titans themselves more derpy than scary, regardless of how much gore is tossed around.

I'll stick with it, since this seems to be THE big anime of the last little while and since the end of episode two made it seem like the series is finally ready to start telling me a story, but so far I'm not really seeing what the big deal is.

Mikasa's pretty awesome, though.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Wait until episode 4...or hell, episode 5 and THEN come talk to us.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Mark-II

And then when you get to the eternal stretches of story arcs that follow in the middle, go BACK to episodes 4-6 and remember how awesome it can be. :P

I did like this show a lot, but the pacing is certainly off in many places. I understand that they're pretty much forced to stop at this point as they've basically caught up with the manga, so here's hoping they will be back when the latter reportedly finishes in a couple years.

Mark-II
Amion

Well, the manga
Spoiler
finally gives a good reason for why Reiner and Barthold have been so desperate to take Eren back, and why they kept calling him the coordinate. About time. :shock: And a....Mikasa version of a love confession. It almost comes off as funny, with her crying over the muffler, but also quirky adorable too.
Soma Taozi

As much as I want to discuss the manga in all its awesome details...can we maybe make a new thread for that? Just so we can be a little more free with the spoilers (to a degree) and we can discuss the two spin off mangas being release also: Before the Fall and A Choice with No Regrets (both of which have the very SHORT prologue chapters released).

Just so we don't have to worry about someone who watches the anime only, finish it, and start clicking on spoiler threads...thinking that since they finished the series, they have nothing to worry about...

I will make it if I can I get a few aye's!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

Soma Taozi wrote:As much as I want to discuss the manga in all its awesome details...can we maybe make a new thread for that? Just so we can be a little more free with the spoilers (to a degree) and we can discuss the two spin off mangas being release also: Before the Fall and A Choice with No Regrets (both of which have the very SHORT prologue chapters released).

Just so we don't have to worry about someone who watches the anime only, finish it, and start clicking on spoiler threads...thinking that since they finished the series, they have nothing to worry about...

I will make it if I can I get a few aye's!
Aye! *Insert Happy's voice*
Destiny_Gundam

I suggested before that some one can make an "Attack on Titan Manga" thread.
Amion

But at the time there weren't many of us who had given in and read it, what with the anime going. What the heck, let's just make the thing wait and see how long it survives the cruel test of time.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Attack on Titan Anime Thread

So Attack on Titan premires on Toonami tonight. I can't watch it, but I hope those who can enjoy it.
eanetdude

Soma Taozi wrote: I will make it if I can I get a few aye's!
AYE.

My DVR is set for the premiere tonight. Lowering my expectations for the dub, especially the younger versions of Eren & Friends in the first couple episodes. I hope it isn't censored too much.
Deus257

eanetdude wrote: AYE.

My DVR is set for the premiere tonight. Lowering my expectations for the dub, especially the younger versions of Eren & Friends in the first couple episodes. I hope it isn't censored too much.
I wouldn't worry, since its on adult swim toonami has been pretty good in regards to not censoring violent material. Now tonight's episode of Black Lagoon, that will be interesting to see what they do in certain scenes :).
iguanaman8989

Bah, Adult Swim cut the opening short. Had the music though, just not as awesome in the cut they used. No build up from the song, just jumps into the plateau toward the end.
Soma Taozi

I had no idea it was going to be on toonami and was flipping through channels and randomly came across it.

I have to say that the voice acting when Eren's mother was begging her children to leave was well done. It was raw and I liked that.

-Me, 7/19/2020
SonicSP

I wanted to watch it but my friends surprised me with a short birthday party (my birthday was last Wednesday but it was awesome that they did it).

I've watched the first four episodes dubbed earlier this month at a con though so I know how the voices will go. I've recently been converted into a dub watcher in the last year or so, I think it's decent so far.
Strike Zero

HOLD THE FRIGGING PHONE

I haven't actually been reading the manga, so I have no clue as to the context

But apparently Levi's full name is
Spoiler
Levi ACKERMAN?
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ONggGFDJKJGFKJDFFSDKJKJKJKJIJSF
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
SonicSP

Strike Zero wrote:HOLD THE FRIGGING PHONE

I haven't actually been reading the manga, so I have no clue as to the context

But apparently Levi's full name is
Spoiler
Levi ACKERMAN?
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ONggGFDJKJGFKJDFFSDKJKJKJKJIJSF
Manga spoilers for latest chapter related to this line of questioning (I've minimized details on current story threads that are unrelated to the thing you said but read at your own risk anyways)
Spoiler
It was revealed in the latest chapter. It hasn't been elaborated yet but I assume it means they are related. It was quite a bombshell. What this means is that Levi is probably related to Mikasa by her father's side somehow. I'm guessing as her uncle or cousin. It's possible that they just happen to share the last name and are not related to each other but in anime/manga this is unlikely.

I don't know what this means for the plot though. I don't see where they are going with it yet and it doesn't seem to be that related to the current story thread yet but that may change in the upcoming chapters.

And no, they didn't get married or adopted each other names or anything like that. The bombshell was revealed by another person just speaking Levi's full name in a conversation with another person; of which to minimize unrelated spoiler info I won't elaborate on.

But it doesn't appear to be a secret or anything so I'm surprised Eren doesn't know about it since he's such a fanboy of his squad. It's likely that Levi's been keeping a low profile on the name but we wouldn't know why he did that yet if that were the case.
LightningCount

So, I watched the first episode, and while the hype has swirled around me for months on end, I am relatively new to Attack on Titan. Given the amount of spoilers around here, I don't know if I'll post much, but I thought I'd give my initial impressions...

I'm not usually big on medieval-styled anime, so that's a hurdle for me. Besides the game Shadow of the Colossus, I am reminded a bit of Berserk, FMA, and Escaflowne; but while this series does definitely have its own unique vibe, I don't feel as interested in the characters off the bat as those earlier series. I understand it's extremely early, but the characters have sort of an archetypal look and attitude that seems overplayed in the beginning here. Erin's father was the most intriguing so far in appearance and behavior. (And the blond adult who struggled with his duty wasn't bad, either). The titan designs are very striking, and the grappling hook devices are neat. For the longest time, I thought this series would have Steamboy-style jet packs. I am surprised that the city is breached from the start, because I was under the impression that this series would revolve around mankind's last stronghold. I am also surprised to see so many titans at once with different sizes--that gives the series more of a Night of the Living Dead feel than I was thinking. Speaking of mood, I'm sort of turned off by the 80s-ish emphasis on gore, which seems overplayed in a grindhouse-like manner. (EDIT: I kind of get what Tomino was saying in his comments on the series now). The animation has some great flourishes, but as a whole, I don't know that it sets the new standard that people claim it does. I know there will be time skips, but the biggest thing this series has going for it at the start is the mystery of the titans. The lightning strike appearance of the big one was especially fascinating. However, if the twist simply boils down to
Spoiler
Erin and friends all get turned into (or are) titans by birth or virus or something
then that will be underwhelming. I've seen some pics to suggest this, but the thought crossed my mind even before then when people were talking about how the series has shocking twists. I DO NOT want to know the details, but is THAT essentially the big twist that everything hinges on?

Also, if they have these gas-powered wires, I hope they realize they can do massive damage to this titans by tripping them or cutting their Achilles heel.

I think I've heard that you get a sense if you will like the series or not by episode 4 or 5, so I'm going to stick with it at least until then. I'm curious, but in terms of content and genre, it's not an easy sell for me. All the same, I can see why it would make waves, but it might not be my cup of tea.
Last edited by LightningCount on Wed May 07, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone