The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Cybaster

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

Dark Duel wrote:
Cybaster wrote:Given the repeated controversy surrounding other works featuring Islamic characters as 'antagonists' (such as Zero Dark Thirty and Kingdom of Heaven), I can see why Sunrise felt they preferred to avoid the issue altogether and rewrite Loni; Better safe than sorry later, after all.
YMMV on how "antagonistic" Saladin and his forces were in Kingdom of Heaven; I would personally contend that Brendan Gleeson and that other French dirtbag were the true antagonists of the film, but this isn't really the right forum for that discussion.
Try telling those extremists any of that, though --- The filmmakers apparently received bomb threats all the same while filming in Morocco, despite (or perhaps causing) Kingdom of Heaven's decidedly pro-Muslim bias.
That said, as for the crux of the discussion, which is Mahdi Garvey, from the little I know of the character (having not been fortunate enough to be able to read the novels), I would have to agree with what's been said about Sunrise wanting to play it safe, though I still feel they went a little too far, and probably could've gotten away with sanitizing the story as it appeared in the novel by removing those more controversial elements, without going to the extreme that they did. As it is, I find myself incapable of sympathizing with Loni given that she gets almost no screen time prior to her rampage.
On another note: IMO, he doesn't really look like Bin Laden. More like a younger Ruhollah Khomeini.
Sadly, though, the Islamic slant and deliberate relation to real world terrorism is basically the major part (mostly the only part, in fact) of Madhi Garvey's characterization in the light novels; Remove those in the OVA and he'd be downgraded to being just another Zeon remnant soldier, so there'd be very little point to bringing him specifically into the OVA in either case, aside from Shock Value.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
ClicheNameGuy

I guess this is a better place to put it, rather than making a new thread.
Right Stuf and Sunrise Inc. announce their distribution deal for Mobile Suit Gundam UC. The series will be released by Sunrise Inc. and distributed by Right Stuf to North American fans on August 20, 2013. The DVD series will be released over four volumes. Each volume will contain two one hour OVAs with the exception of Part 4, which will feature OVA 7 and additional extras. Mobile Suit Gundam UC will feature English audio, Japanese audio and both English and Spanish subtitles. Pre-order Mobile Suit Gundam UC Part 1 and Part 2 today!
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/ne ... urnTo=Main
BrentD15

ClicheNameGuy wrote:I guess this is a better place to put it, rather than making a new thread.
Right Stuf and Sunrise Inc. announce their distribution deal for Mobile Suit Gundam UC. The series will be released by Sunrise Inc. and distributed by Right Stuf to North American fans on August 20, 2013. The DVD series will be released over four volumes. Each volume will contain two one hour OVAs with the exception of Part 4, which will feature OVA 7 and additional extras. Mobile Suit Gundam UC will feature English audio, Japanese audio and both English and Spanish subtitles. Pre-order Mobile Suit Gundam UC Part 1 and Part 2 today!
Thank goodness! :D
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dark Duel

Cool. I've got every episode released so far on Blu-Ray, so personally I'm not too terribly psyched about this. I AM however curious as to these "additional extras" on the volume 7 DVD.
Plus it's good news for anyone who might not be able to splurge on the BD release.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Admiral Larsen

ClicheNameGuy wrote:I guess this is a better place to put it, rather than making a new thread.
This is good news by any standard. :D
HellCat

Rightstuf are hinting this might be the start of a partnership with Sunrise to continue releasing Gundam in America.

"This is not the end...the plan is still in motion..."- Tieria Erde

:wink: :P
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
RLZIII

Just a rant that I posted on 4chan (is that a bad word?) about the news of Gundam Unicorn being released on DVD by Right Stuf (I always go to spell out Stuff and have to fix it every time) and Sunrise:

[In response to: "Just give me complete boxsets of Gundam X and Turn A, and a remastered G Gundam. That's all Daddy wants, all Daddy needs."]

A way to make this happens is to support the effort that Right Stuf and Sunrise are collaborating for. This seems like an interesting way to potentially test the waters. Gundam Unicorn never got a full DVD run in the States, ending at episode 4. So with this they can test to see if there is still demand for Gundam anime. I have both of the volumes preordered and will preorder volumes 3 and 4 when able in order to support Gundam financially.

The only way to get Gundam back in the US to is speak and vote with our wallets. Sunrise and Bandai need to see results for this to work. Will we ever get Gundam back the way it was? Likely not. But I could see Sunrise bring over sub-only Gundam anime on DVD and Blu-ray in the US if this sells.

Not only that, but by buying these, we are also showing Sunrise/Bandai that we are willing to pay for Gundam anime; however, at the same time, we are fighting against Bandai charging $60 for one episode of Gundam Unicorn on Blu-ray, which is an absurd price. Obviously these DVDs are not HD; however, at $9 an episode, they are a great deal.

I urge that if you are a Gundam fan and don't already own Gundam UC, to preorder these DVDs in order to show your support for the series that you are supposedly a "fan" of (which doesn't involve downloading and watching the shows; it involves supporting them). These purchases are the only way to get official, quality subtitles and releases for shows like ZZ, V, X, Turn A, and AGE, which never saw the light of day in North America.

Buying all four sets of these DVDs, you can own all of Gundam Unicorn for around $72. Alternatively, buying the overpriced Blu-ray release, you will pay around $350-$400. Show Sunrise that you're willing to pay for Gundam at a reasonable price.

Of course, for $0 you could always just download Gundam instead of supporting it and then spend time on the Internet bitching that fan subs and Gundam stuff costs too much to import.

Continuing my rant: preorder. These companies set up preorders to get an estimate of the demand for a show. If the company doesn't get many preorders it won't print a lot of copies. That simple. I know that some people want to wait for the entire thing to be out to make sure it doesn't get canceled so they don't "waste" their money. I get this. But, unfortunately, that mentality is what will get the series canceled due to the perceived lack of demand. If you preorder the first few volumes, then it turns out the release does get canceled, I'm sure you can sell the (then out of print) DVDs on eBay and get your money back (if not a little more). It's an investment; without preorders there won't be a lot of prints.

This goes for manga too. A lot of people are scared that Vertical's release of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin may get canceled (which they have assured us it won't, even with low preorder numbers), so they don't want to buy it and be stuck with an incomplete manga. But without the preorders (stressing once again, PREORDERS, not just regular orders) the copies won't be printed. People ask for things like Char's Deleted Affair, Crossbone Gundam, Gundam W: Glory of the Losers, and many other Gundam manga to make it to the States. This simply WON'T happen without preorders and orders in general. If we don't support efforts like Vertical taking a risk is bring over The Origin, then they aren't going to continue licensing other manga from the franchise. If you want Gundam in the States (whether it be DVD/Blu-ray, manga, games, Gunpla, whatever), then you must say so with your wallet and let these companies hear you.

#bringbackgundam
Dark Duel

Agreed. That's why what I do for any anime I like is buy it as soon as it's available, whether by preorder or regular order. And Rightstuf has consistently been where I order from since Bandai's own store closed.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

I hate to say it but it's not going to work. It didn't work for Vertical with Gundam the Origin and it doesn't appear that it'll work for the upcoming "DVD revival". DVDs? Seriously? Not many people buy them anymore considering how cheap Bluray is now.

Gundam is dead and it won't be revived. The other series will never see the light of day and that's just how things will go.
wielder

Deacon Blues wrote: DVDs? Seriously? Not many people buy them anymore considering how cheap Bluray is now.
On the contrary: most people still buy more DVDs than Bluray, and this is particularly true in the anime industry. I believe this has been confirmed several times by representatives from Funimation and even Rightstuf, among other companies, during podcast interviews as well as posts in other forums.

The structural trend is that eventually DVD will in fact die and go away, but it's still a little premature to be calling that out. Right now, DVD sales are continuing to lose revenue every year yet nevertheless remain significantly ahead of Bluray sales.

Not to mention the guys at Rightstuf, since they are primarily an online retailer for anime after all, certainly have a lot of sales data for how many people still pick DVD over Bluray or vice versa at their own store. I doubt they are charging into this business arrangement blindly.

I don't really think this announcement will lead to some magical "revival" of Gundam in terms of overall popularity, but anything that allows even a small group of fans to keep making purchases of official products is good news.

In my personal case, I'm just happy to finally buy all of Gundam Unicorn at a reasonable price. I've already got the two Unicorn DVD sets that Bandai Entertainment was able to release before their closure and will almost certainly be picking up the last couple of sets as soon as possible.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Deacon Blues

wielder wrote:On the contrary: most people still buy more DVDs than Bluray, and this is particularly true in the anime industry. I believe this has been confirmed several times by representatives from Funimation and even Rightstuf, among other companies, during podcast interviews as well as posts in other forums.
For the anime market, yes. Why? Prevents reverse import into Japan, blah blah. Fans are cheap, etc. However, for movies and what not (a la Hollywood and the likes), it's kicking ass.
wielder

Kicking ass on the way to the top, of course, but still not at the top yet.

See numbers like the ones here, for example, which include Hollywood releases and the rest.

But yes, the fears of reverse importation to Japan are also another factor that will slow down the rate of adoption within this particular little corner of the overall market.
Last edited by wielder on Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
RLZIII

If Gundam had no chance of getting other DVDs released, why would Sunrise continue to bother getting releases out in the States? I'm not at all saying that this will revive Gundam. However, Sunrise (and Right Stuf) obviously see a potential market for this. And it seems that they are able to bypass Bandai's high pricing of the UC Blu-rays by releasing the series on DVD. Even if this means that Sunrise only plans to re-release stuff that's already made it to the States, it's nice for fans to have the opportunity to buy official DVDs/Blu-rays of Gundam. To me this seems like a safe way to test the waters on the Gundam market. If this does well, I definitely can see some potential new releases.

But, again, that will only happen if people preorder and buy these DVDs and other Gundam merchandise. Vertical's release of The Origin isn't doing very well; but that only tests Gundam's manga market. Perhaps the anime side will do better. I'm not getting too hopeful by any means; but there's a possibility for sure or Sunrise wouldn't bother.
Chris
Administrator

Guys, please stay on topic to Unicorn. I don't want this to become the 5,000th "Can Gundam be revived in America?" topic.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
iCards

"Revival" probably not, Gundam won't be anywhere near as popular as it once was, but at the least this mean that Unicorn finishes its DVD run.
Andrew_Graruru

Deacon Blues wrote:I hate to say it but it's not going to work. It didn't work for Vertical with Gundam the Origin
We don't know that for sure yet. They said they'd see how it sold by volume 5 or something before they made a decision on more Gundam manga.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Chris
Administrator

I like how I post something and replies hours apart keep discussing what I said not to stick in this thread. So once again, this thread is for Unicorn. If you want to discuss Gundam in America, take it to another thread.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ceiling_Squid

Eh, already been shelling out the money for the blu-rays, which makes additional expenditure unnecessary. However, this is a pleasant development. I am cautiously hopeful.

I might consider pre-ordering the DvDs to gift to a friend instead, just so I can show my support in some form.

Good to see that Sunrise is actually going to complete the Unicorn DvD release. Even if this is a little isolated case and nothing else will come of it, that's still a positive move on their part. That earns them at least one respect point in my book.
ShadowCell

well, i'm down with a full DVD run of Unicorn. i don't have a Blu-Ray player and i have no desire to vomit cash at things i can't actually use.
HellCat

Then you're doing this hobby wrong *looks at Air Shock Beam Saber* WHY DID I BUY YOU?!
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.