The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Momaru

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

Honestly while the BDs of unicorn are pretty damn expensive I still prefer them over the DVDs. Maybe its just me who has a AV setup that is worthy of the majesty that is blu-ray haha. Plus having 5.1 surround sound doesn't hurt.

Really enjoyed ep. 6. Marida is officially my favorite character in this show now. Why does it seem like most of the scenes she's in are the best ones in the series? Loved her scene with Banagher and the one with Zimmerman actually made me tear up a bit... Riddie needs to get over his case of butthurt. Its turned him into an emotionless robot. Whos the soulless killing machine again? I'm a bit surprised they didn't cybercise him as it seems to be a pretty quick procedure as evidenced in Counterattack.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Kratos

Momaru wrote:Whos the soulless killing machine again?
I don't know, but it's not Riddhe. He didn't make a single kill in ep. 6; in fact, he explicitly avoided killing any of the pilots sent against him by the Nahel Argama.

I may or may not have expressed this in an earlier thread, but I'm very happy with the direction Riddhe was taken in. I was worried, after the blood-wipe-sneer at the end of 5, that he would be exactly as you described him at best, and irredeemably axe-crazy at worst. And while he visually fits that bill, his dialogue and actions tell a rather different story. At the very least, he has enough of a head about him to question Alberto's casual order to kill Banagher, and to avoid executing fellow Federation pilots who were also likely people he had fought alongside in the past.
Momaru wrote:I'm a bit surprised they didn't cybercise him as it seems to be a pretty quick procedure as evidenced in Counterattack.
It was probably deemed unnecessary. There are several moments that imply he's a natural Newtype.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
mikethemod1992

I'm a bit unclear as to what the light near the end of episode 5 when Benagher is helping the Argama and the Garencieres connect so they can get into space. That green light that surrounds everything, is that the "spirit" of Amuro, or the light of the human heart he was talking about at the end of CCA? The look on Bright's face kind of makes me wonder, and it would be cool to have Amuro save the day one last time in a sense.
The fall of the Titans, Axis risen the power as Neo Zeon, the colony drop of Dublin, Neo Zeon's attempts of dropping Axis on Earth and the death of Amuro and Char were all caused because one douchebag Titan solider thought that one angsty teenager's name sounded like a girls name.
HellCat

mikethemod1992 wrote:I'm a bit unclear as to what the light near the end of episode 5 when Benagher is helping the Argama and the Garencieres connect so they can get into space. That green light that surrounds everything, is that the "spirit" of Amuro, or the light of the human heart he was talking about at the end of CCA? The look on Bright's face kind of makes me wonder, and it would be cool to have Amuro save the day one last time in a sense.
It's a visual homage to certain Amuro Newtype sequences but the eyes are Banagher's if you look closely just as the hands are those of Daguza and Gilboa; one dead crew member for each of the ships, honouring Banagher's will to save them both. A big part of the subtext of the episode is the idea that Banagher is walking the same path as Amuro, Kamille and Judau before him. A young Newtype who can wield a Gundam with a view of the current conflict that escapes the petty motives of others.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
mikethemod1992

HellCat wrote:
mikethemod1992 wrote: It's a visual homage to certain Amuro Newtype sequences but the eyes are Banagher's if you look closely just as the hands are those of Daguza and Gilboa; one dead crew member for each of the ships, honouring Banagher's will to save them both. A big part of the subtext of the episode is the idea that Banagher is walking the same path as Amuro, Kamille and Judau before him. A young Newtype who can wield a Gundam with a view of the current conflict that escapes the petty motives of others.
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the eyes weren't Amuro's after a couple more views (and was slightly disappointed), but a great and powerful scene either way. Daguza and Gilboa were some great characters.
The fall of the Titans, Axis risen the power as Neo Zeon, the colony drop of Dublin, Neo Zeon's attempts of dropping Axis on Earth and the death of Amuro and Char were all caused because one douchebag Titan solider thought that one angsty teenager's name sounded like a girls name.
Deacon Blues

Here are some tidbits from Unicorn a la the latest mook:

Framed material:
MEDAL OF HONOR CITATION

For heroic achievement above and beyond the call of his duty as commanding officer of the Londo Bell unit during the operation to prevent the enemy Neo Zeon fleet commanded by Char Aznable from capturing Axis and dropping it onto Earth, on March 12, U.C.0093.

Thanks to the leadership of Captain Bright Noa, the E.F.S.F.'s Londo Bell unit, including the Ra Cailum from when he directed the operation and the mobile suit forces under his command, achieved remarkable success in their mission under highly dangerous conditions.

With their heroic actions, undertaken without regard for personal safety, they boldly thwarted the operation to drop Axis onto Earth, which would have brought about unprecedented calamity. Captain Bright, his forces, and the entire E.F.S.F. have earned the highest of honors.

June 25, U.C. 0093
Council on Colony Relations Chairman
Ronan Marcenas

EARTH FEDERATION SPACE FORCE

Notice of Appointment

To Mr. Bright Noa

As of March 21, U.C.0090, you are hereby appointed as commanding officer of the E.F.S.F. auxiliary unit "Londo Bell" and captain of its flagship Nahel Argama.

March 21, U.C.0090
E.F.S.F. General Headquarters Technical Department
EARTH FEDERATION SPACE FORCE

Notice of Appointment

To Mr. Bright Noa

As of December 25, U.C.0092, you are hereby appointed as captain of the Ra Cailum, flagship of the E.F.S.F. auxiliary unit "Londo Bell."

December 24, U.C.0092
E.F.S.F. General Headquarters Technical Department
Dark Duel

So until the Ra Cailum was launched, the Nahel Argama was Londo Bell's flagship, huh? That's interesting. Just as interesting that Bright commanded it for a couple of years before he got the Ra Cailum.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dendrobium Stamen

That is interesting - I'd always assumed Bright and Ra Cailum joined Londo Bell at the same time, during the taskforce's reinforcement a few months prior to Char's Rebellion - the third letter, that is. Of course, that could well have been the accepted version of events, prior to Unicorn updating us as below.

Also quite curious as to quite how the EFSF General Headquarters Technical Department fits into the operational hierarchy; if anything the title sounds like the Space Force's R&D branch, rather than a combat division. Of course, it could well be that Londo Bell began life as a "technical research" group to bypass the potential PR problems creating an autonomous taskforce would pose, post-Titans. Or, the translation from Japanese is less literal than it appears - that's also possible.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Zeino

I wonder if Technical Department is a mistranslation of Tactical Department?
toysdream

Nope. The Japanese text that I was asked to translate into English for those documents used the term "艦政本部", which - as you can see in Wikipedia - was the division of the Imperial Japanese Navy responsible for naval engineering and ship construction. "Technical Department" is the standard English translation of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_J ... Department

-- Mark
J-Lead

Amuro doesn't even get an mention? In spite of the fact that he's the one that stopped Axis in the first place?

Typical...

At least Unicorn is giving some more context as to why the Federation is so petrified of Newtypes.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Dendrobium Stamen

toysdream wrote:Nope. The Japanese text that I was asked to translate into English for those documents used the term "艦政本部", which - as you can see in Wikipedia - was the division of the Imperial Japanese Navy responsible for naval engineering and ship construction. "Technical Department" is the standard English translation of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_J ... Department

-- Mark
So the translation is fairly standardised from a real-world source; that settles that point :)

That said, I'm still confused as to why a section of the Space Force whose remit is the design and assembly of ships seems to be giving operational orders to Londo Bell? The description of the IJN Technical Department tells us that it was...
Wikipedia entry, IJN Technical Department wrote:[...]the externally operating division of the Ministry of the Navy of Japan responsible for the administration of naval vessel construction. From 1923 onward, it took on the role of a research institution for the research and development of naval technologies and engineering.
To me, that definitely sounds like an R&D division, outside the operational chain-of-command, whose function is to oversee the design, construction, and repair of Federation military vessels. So either I'm badly misunderstanding the relationship between the EFSF Technical Department and Londo Bell, or there's some more complex logic behind those assignment orders?
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Brave Fencer Kirby

It's possible that Londo Bell is technically part of the R&D division -- they do get all the shiny new toys (from the Ra Cailum and the Clops, to the Jegan and the and the Nu) first, after all. And if they "test" them on Zeon remnants... well, got to make sure the new tech is properly shaken down before turning it over to the EFF regulars, right?
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Kratos

What *is* Londo Bell's status? I guess I always sorta saw it as more independent from the Federation chain of command than this would suggest (based on their acting outside the rest of Fed forces in CCA).
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Amion

Hmm, it would be interesting to know what becomes of them later on. Do they dissolve when Bright retires or passes away? They sure aren't in in F91 or V. Do they have an appearance in any of the innumerable obscure pieces of media?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Wingnut

I would think that they would be absorbed back into the regular EFF with the abolishment of the Republic of Zeon.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Amion

Makes sense I guess. Although history proves they might been smart to keep a police taskforce watching over them colonists. They tend to spawn genocidal rebellions when left to govern themselves for too long.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Ceiling_Squid

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:It's possible that Londo Bell is technically part of the R&D division -- they do get all the shiny new toys (from the Ra Cailum and the Clops, to the Jegan and the and the Nu) first, after all. And if they "test" them on Zeon remnants... well, got to make sure the new tech is properly shaken down before turning it over to the EFF regulars, right?
I'm inclined to agree. The fact that prototype units that failed to actually enter production get tossed their way would imply they have some connection to R&D. Just look at stuff like the ReGZ. Granted, they may not be officially operating in a "testing" capacity, but I would imagine close ties to this "Technical Department" is why we see unusual and high-tech units in Londo Bell's employ.

The Technical Department probably has a large say in how Londo Bell is outfitted. Can't figure how the chain-of-command works there, but I can at least see the logic of why they reference a Technical Department at all.

Also I'm reminded of Task Force Alpha from Gundam Sentinel. Lots of mothballed prototypes tossed their way. It's a little retroactive justification, but perhaps Task Force Alpha's connection with Federation R&D served as precedent for Londo Bell's later arrangement? I'm reaching into speculative territory here, but I think it's somewhat plausible.
Amion wrote:Hmm, it would be interesting to know what becomes of them later on. Do they dissolve when Bright retires or passes away? They sure aren't in in F91 or V. Do they have an appearance in any of the innumerable obscure pieces of media?
It's bugging me. I can't remember, but I almost recall Londo Bell being obliquely referenced in one of the F91 tie-in mangas ... Silhouette, I think? It's been a long time, though, I could be completely off. I'll have to re-read them when I have time. Perhaps someone else here remembers them better?

Even if that's the case, I'm quite certain that there's no mention of Londo Bell beyond that point in time. Chances are, as the Federation declined, Londo Bell was dissolved.
balofo

Fukui on a UC sequel: says the staff can't handle it and there won't be a repeat of the release schedule
もし「UC」に続編があるとしたら、どんなものになると?

福井:同じことをもう一度やろうという考えはありません。「UC」の続きの物語を、また年に1回、2回、劇場でやるっていう構造では、スタッフの体力ももたないですし、たぶんもうファンも望んではいないでしょう。やるならまったく別の方法を考えたほうがいいなと思っています。
Deacon Blues

I'm interested in knowing why he says the staff doesn't have the stamina to do it. Unicorn isn't a terribly complex series and is hardly orgasmic in terms of quality in comparison to most other series. Hell, Yamato 2199 is more detailed and fluid compared to Unicorn and they're doing just fine. It's one of the reasons why I'm disappointed in certain aspects of it, but that's just me.

Oh well, they'll probably just animate Fukui's next novel, or maybe they'll do the current one being wrote by that game freak...