The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VI

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

LightningCount

Post by LightningCount » Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Kratos, glad to oblige, and you've got some points here. I'm glad you're enjoying Unicorn so much.

I'll just put a few clarifications/notes on what you wrote.

*Regrettably, the presence of the Black Unicorn was spoiled for me earlier in the series when I was looking at the novel covers, IIRC.

*I think the Marida/Banagher fight, while more traditional, lost some of its gusto for me because of the way it's been repeated over the course of a few episodes, and also mirrored and taken to such extremes with the Loni fight.

*The Gundam as a "symbol" in Gundam storytelling has really taken off since Wing, it seems to me.

*The return of the Argama crew from earlier was nice, as they have a different flair than Bright's group.

*The main vocal songs for 2, 3, and 5 stick out the most for me, I think.

*I'm not crazy about Martha as the main villain, and yet, she does have some dialogue that makes her rather intriguing, and it makes you, as a viewer, want to dig into what made her what she is today. The awkward stuff of her compatriot who tries to be Marida's master makes me cringe a bit, though.

*If we all admit that the Newtype stuff is a stretch, then I'm fine enough with going with it in the context of UC. I just don't like when people make an exception for it and then bash anything similar in other series. Me, personally, I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I understand that it's part of the tapestry and themes, and it can be interesting when it's not overplayed.

*As far as F91, I liked Seabook and Cecily's relationship more than maybe any other mainline UC couple, and the villains were intriguing. Iron Mask was totally different from any other masked man. While somewhat unremarkable, the supporting heroes felt very natural and human. The tale was about inter-colony combat rather than Earth vs. Space, and while Cosmo Babylonia could be Zeon 2.0, they had a certain aristocratic flair and idealism that made them interesting in their own right. Also, there was some great choreography mixed in, and the new MS and elements like the Bugs made for a great contrast.

*I am surprised that people liked Episode 4 so much. I mean, I love mecha action, and it gives us it in droves...but it all seems so messy and detached in the way it's presented that it sort of becomes like a music video separate from the story, rather than really enhancing it. There were just too many broad strokes in Episode 4 for me, and things got a little silly with Banagher beating up Zinnerman and such. I liked Mineva's bar talk scene, and some of the stuff with Riddhe intrigued me. I think the opening fight scene for UC4 (with that elephant MS) and some of the desert wandering were also pretty good. I just felt like Loni was very crammed in and a little too melodramatic for too long for my tastes, stretching things to a new level of Newtype energy bursts and pleading. And the lost book-based details for both her and Marida that I know of really seemed sensationalistic and wouldn't have helped things, so I don't mind them being cut. The problem with all the fighting was that none of it had much effective emotional weight for me. On the other hand, just having all those different fights was sort of visually enticing, but it didn't work as well as I might have thought when hearing about it. But the real problem is when we talk about these kinds of big ground/city battles, they have to compete with stuff from 08th MS Team or 0080, and they just feel sort of lifeless compared to those. The potential was there, but it just didn't fully work for me. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line. It does emphasize that point of no side is really winning, I guess.

*The CG isn't awful, I just seemed to see it more in some scenes, especially with the Sleeves' ship (as you said). The series still has better animation than A LOT of stuff, so I'm happy with it, but Episode 1 set my expectations pretty high about how it would all come together visually. I think that the choreography and lived-in feel of the MS from 0083 or 0080 or 08th MS Team have a better feel, and you're right, that Unicorn has somewhat more of sterile feel, though with hints of, I want to say, a watercolor painting. It has a very ethereal look at times, almost Ghibli-like, as it tries to take the 70s/80s ideas into the current era of animation. It looks like The Origin will continue this trend to some extent.

*I think that if Gundam Unicorn came out in a vacuum, maybe after SEED Destiny, I would be raving about its visuals more. They're a cut above, don't get me wrong. But Gundam 00 Season 1 really had some great animation that sticks in my head, so this feels less impactful in some respects overall than it otherwise would have been.

*I'm surprised to hear you insinuate that Ep.6 will still not show the box! But OK. I assume it must have something to do with maybe the founders of the Federation being Newtypes or something, or maybe promoting Newtype philosophies. We'll see.

*I'm not sure when I'll get to Ep.6. I sort of want to stretch these out since there's not a lot of stuff out there like it; and also, getting the whole PSN rental up and running can be a bit of a pain for me.
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone

BrentD15

Post by BrentD15 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:30 pm

LightningCount wrote:*I am surprised that people liked Episode 4 so much. I mean, I love mecha action, and it gives us it in droves...but it all seems so messy and detached in the way it's presented that it sort of becomes like a music video separate from the story, rather than really enhancing it. There were just too many broad strokes in Episode 4 for me, and things got a little silly with Banagher beating up Zinnerman and such. I liked Mineva's bar talk scene, and some of the stuff with Riddhe intrigued me. I think the opening fight scene for UC4 (with that elephant MS) and some of the desert wandering were also pretty good. I just felt like Loni was very crammed in and a little too melodramatic for too long for my tastes, stretching things to a new level of Newtype energy bursts and pleading. And the lost book-based details for both her and Marida that I know of really seemed sensationalistic and wouldn't have helped things, so I don't mind them being cut. The problem with all the fighting was that none of it had much effective emotional weight for me. On the other hand, just having all those different fights was sort of visually enticing, but it didn't work as well as I might have thought when hearing about it. But the real problem is when we talk about these kinds of big ground/city battles, they have to compete with stuff from 08th MS Team or 0080, and they just feel sort of lifeless compared to those. The potential was there, but it just didn't fully work for me. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line. It does emphasize that point of no side is really winning, I guess.
I really don't see how the urban fight scenes in UC4 "must" compete with 08th and 0080. :?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

balofo

Post by balofo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:17 pm

If people want to know who survived the Torrington Base attack in the OVAS:
-both Zee Zulu pilots survived(veteran and Sleveed newbie). There was also Kirk's Zee Zulu at their base
-Zogock damaged as per anime
-Efreet Schneid with pilot from Sidestories game

Anyone else died

LightningCount

Post by LightningCount » Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

BrentD15 wrote:I really don't see how the urban fight scenes in UC4 "must" compete with 08th and 0080. :?
I'm sorry if that's an offensive opinion, but I just think it's human nature. Unicorn is the big UC OVA of the day, and it spends minimal time on Earth, so you want it to make those moments impactful and dynamic. The broad strokes it paints could have been done with less embellishment if they're just there to kill time and make a statement. The embellishment given to the unseen, unnamed pilot of the Byarlant Custom was a bit puzzling for me. It seemed to say I was supposed to know who the pilot was and what the machine was given its entrance and ensuing moments.

It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't work for me as much as I had hoped. While this is a quick example off the top of my head, that'd be like having 08th Team fight the Gouf Custom and never see or hear from Norris. While the beginning of UC4 balanced it out a bit with a few grunt pilot shots, too often it felt like a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" way of handling the fights, which is more in line with an opening video for a Gundam video game than an anime, especially when combatants on both sides are all but unknown. I get it that it's sort of fun to see so much unrestrained mecha combat from every other MS found in a variants guidebook, but it felt like there was a missed opportunity for some more "texture" in all of this. That's what I'm getting at. Nevertheless, I still think it stands out for its sense of spectacle, so maybe that's enough. (It's tempting to put UC4 over UC5 for the amount of MS combat, sure). It's only that UC4 already felt like it had a good amount of broad strokes/time jumps compared to UC1-3 as it was--even Banagher and Zinnerman's crew had developed a rapport all of a sudden. In terms of telling a story with some feeling, though, I thought UC5 was more genuine and less detached on the whole from first impressions. But to each their own.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone

Rawinder

Post by Rawinder » Thu May 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Does anybody know the piece of music that plays during Banagher and Riddhe's fight in the episode 7 preview clip? It played in episode 5 too, but I can't find it -- unless it's an unreleased track that'll end up on OST 4.

balofo

Post by balofo » Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 pm

about the kavkaz thing
Russia's "nuclear briefcase" is code-named Cheget. It is connected to the special communications system code-named Kavkaz, which "supports communication between senior government officials while they are making the decision whether to use nuclear weapons, and in its own turn is plugged into the special communication system Kazbek, which embraces all the individuals and agencies involved in command and control of the Strategic Nuclear Forces." It is usually assumed, although not known with certainty, that the nuclear briefcases are also issued to the Minister of Defense and the Chief of General Staff of the Russian Federation

Kratos

Post by Kratos » Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 am

You're making me want to watch Unicorn again for the umpteenth time, LightningCount...hmm, episode 7 does come out in a week, and I did just meet a big UC fan who hasn't seen Unicorn yet...

Anyways, more thoughts! I'm going to try to avoid saying anything about episode 6 if I can help it, to keep things as fresh for you as possible.
LightningCount wrote:*I think the Marida/Banagher fight, while more traditional, lost some of its gusto for me because of the way it's been repeated over the course of a few episodes, and also mirrored and taken to such extremes with the Loni fight.
Interesting. So far, all of the various Newtype encounters have stood apart to me, although the Banagher/Loni and Banagher/Banshee!Marida ones are certainly similar physically (ie bare minimum of actual physical fighting and mostly just bargaining), as well as the key fact that he actually LOST both of them (or failed to talk down his opponent, anyways). However, Banagher's actual approach to that bargaining is probably what kept them sort of fresh in my mind. In the Loni fight, he purposely activates his NTD to do the whole Trippy Naked Newtype Understanding Time with her - after all, it worked with Marida an episode ago, and it's implied that he got some kind of Newtype-y sense of Loni (that slowdown moment before everyone heads off for Australia). That failed pretty hard, of course, so he opts NOT to use such a wild and unpredictable method against Banshee!Marida and instead works more to hold her at bay physically while trying to appeal to her verbally. And THAT encounter is, of course, completely dissimilar from his earlier fight with her, which was mostly physical and then suddenly NEWTYPES. His approach to these fights is a solid example of the series showing Banagher's development through his actions rather than through exposition.
LightningCount wrote:*The Gundam as a "symbol" in Gundam storytelling has really taken off since Wing, it seems to me.

And it's kind of doubly so in Unicorn. The Gundam is a well-known symbol in and of itself before the series begins, not just in terms of general history but also for Marida (who, it's implied, had certain programming regarding Gundams from her Neo Zeon War days) and eventually for Riddhe; the Unicorn specifically, meanwhile, is used as a symbol for both the paranoia and fear of mankind and its broader possibility (as well as being a not insignificant plot device).
LightningCount wrote:*The return of the Argama crew from earlier was nice, as they have a different flair than Bright's group.
They certainly do, although man, that one scene where Otto gets the note in episode 5 was weird. It still feels sort of odd to me. Part of that might be that it was definitely meant to be a bit of a humourous scene, and Unicorn has very little in the way of humour otherwise. Lots of awesome, but not so much funny.

Either way, the Argama crew is cool, and Otto is such a distinct captain character. He's another guy I wish we saw a bit more of, but he doesn't feel quite as under-developed as Martha. Speaking of whom...
LightningCount wrote:*I'm not crazy about Martha as the main villain, and yet, she does have some dialogue that makes her rather intriguing, and it makes you, as a viewer, want to dig into what made her what she is today. The awkward stuff of her compatriot who tries to be Marida's master makes me cringe a bit, though.
Oh, she's very intriguing, and that's precisely why I think that her lack of development/screentime is among the flaws of the show. She's still all mystery - all potential, to borrow the words of her series. Granted, so is Full Frontal up to the point where you are, and there's still an extra-long episode for the show do do a bit more with Martha.
LightningCount wrote:*I am surprised that people liked Episode 4 so much. I mean, I love mecha action, and it gives us it in droves...but it all seems so messy and detached in the way it's presented that it sort of becomes like a music video separate from the story, rather than really enhancing it. There were just too many broad strokes in Episode 4 for me, and things got a little silly with Banagher beating up Zinnerman and such. I liked Mineva's bar talk scene, and some of the stuff with Riddhe intrigued me. I think the opening fight scene for UC4 (with that elephant MS) and some of the desert wandering were also pretty good. I just felt like Loni was very crammed in and a little too melodramatic for too long for my tastes, stretching things to a new level of Newtype energy bursts and pleading. And the lost book-based details for both her and Marida that I know of really seemed sensationalistic and wouldn't have helped things, so I don't mind them being cut.
You highlighted a few of the reasons that I like it - I think that the desert and diner scenes are two of the best individual scenes in the series, it's the point where many of the characters start going down interesting paths, and I really like the thematic implications of the entire Loni sequence (and, like you, I don't lament the removal of the novel's elements - I actually feel like episode 4 gets beat up on more for being different from the novel's events, rather than for any of its actual flaws).

Those flaws are almost entirely around the Loni sequence, though have little (if anything) to do with cut material. I like that she's portrayed as somebody too steeped in an inherited grudge for Newtype Understanding to be a viable solution to her conflict, and I think this aspect of her is set up well, especially considering how little time is given - the conversation with Full Frontal is a fantastic example of efficiency on the director's part (and look at the look that Kirks gives her after her resolute "Sieg Zeon!" - it really says something when the guy who was actually part of the conflict that the Remnants represent is freaked out by her passion for it).

However, the part of her that would make Banagher believe that it's "not the real her" is never put on display - I think we're supposed to understand that he "sensed" it in that one slowdown moment - and is then muddied by the whole "runaway psychoframe" thing. While that maybe helps us sympathize with Riddhe's frustration at not understanding just what the hell Banagher's doing or why he can't deal with this like a rational soldier, I don't think that was intentional - just a side effect of rushed development. All they needed was one scene between them where Loni shows a gentler side to her. It wouldn't even have needed to be five minutes! And, yes, I think the confrontation between her and Banagher is way too melodramatic for its own good. Kirks' ghost still makes me roll my eyes a bit.

That said, I like the deconstruction of the whole Newtype concept of "Understanding without Misconceptions" as a means of conflict resolution that Banagher's failure to reach her brings, I like how well it foreshadows Riddhe's later resolve and anger/frustration with Newtypes and Gundam, and I like the reactions that Banagher stepping out of the cockpit elicits in everybody around him. Despite its flaws, I like it more than I dislike it.
LightningCount wrote:The problem with all the fighting was that none of it had much effective emotional weight for me. On the other hand, just having all those different fights was sort of visually enticing, but it didn't work as well as I might have thought when hearing about it. [...] The potential was there, but it just didn't fully work for me. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line. It does emphasize that point of no side is really winning, I guess.
That makes sense - so many of those pilots were nameless nobodies, on both sides. However, i really enjoy how the Remnants are handled in general, and that includes their fight. There's no way they're going to be winning this, and I think they know it, but they can't help to get fired up because they finally have a chance to strike, to do SOMETHING, to justify what they've held on to all this time.
LightningCount wrote:The broad strokes it paints could have been done with less embellishment if they're just there to kill time and make a statement. The embellishment given to the unseen, unnamed pilot of the Byarlant Custom was a bit puzzling for me. It seemed to say I was supposed to know who the pilot was and what the machine was given its entrance and ensuing moments.
The Byarlant, to me anyways, represents that hopelessness - because while the Remnants initially fare well against the surprised, idle, outdated Federation Earth Forces, the tide turns the very SECOND a machine even remotely modern enters the fray - and it only gets worse once the Tri-stars join. They stood no chance, but they were given one, and that they took this chance to strike even though it meant their deaths really spoke to their pathetic desperation. The whole sequence ties in really well with the Loni conflict thematically. And as a side note, it's a great bit of proxy development for Full Frontal - it really shows what cold-hearted manipulative bastard he is, co-opting the cause of the Remnants (which isn't even his own) and using it and them to his own ends as disposable pawns. If you get a chance, read this. I guess it basically says what I just did, only more eloquently.

The fantastic score helped too, I'll admit. That said...
LightningCount wrote:But the real problem is when we talk about these kinds of big ground/city battles, they have to compete with stuff from 08th MS Team or 0080, and they just feel sort of lifeless compared to those.

Yeah, the city battle didn't like it was happening in...well, a city. They were a few token attempts to show civilian casualties (the woman and her kid at the apartment, the sports stadium/shelter exploding) but overall Loni's rampage seemed like it was only inflicting property damage. I definitely agree that those other two (and 0080 in particular) do it better.
LightningCount wrote:[...] Unicorn has somewhat more of sterile feel, though with hints of, I want to say, a watercolor painting. It has a very ethereal look at times, almost Ghibli-like, as it tries to take the 70s/80s ideas into the current era of animation. It looks like The Origin will continue this trend to some extent.
Yeah, the ORIGIN trailer really did seem to carry a similar style. I like how they translate Yas' character style into anime, but Yas (especially in the ORIGIN manga) is big on the lived-in gritty feel, and it's sort of a shame that that'll likely be lost. I could be wrong and it could end up being that way - the trailer was really short, after all. I hope so.
LightningCount wrote:*I'm not sure when I'll get to Ep.6. I sort of want to stretch these out since there's not a lot of stuff out there like it; and also, getting the whole PSN rental up and running can be a bit of a pain for me.
Sony never seems to be able to make the episodes available in a timely manner anyways. I remember one of them took DAYS to appear for rental on the PSN.

Actually, speaking of - does anybody have experience with the Japanese PSN rentals? I suppose it's a bit much to hope that it has the option for English subs?
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"

LightningCount

Post by LightningCount » Fri May 09, 2014 1:03 am

Kratos: I think I've let my expectations get ahead of me and affect my viewing some. But I think a person can't help but have some sort of gut reactions, positive and negative, the first time they see something. I don't mean to rock any boats around here. Also, I think I'm probably not steeped enough knowledge-wise (or endeared enough emotionally) in the UC mythology to appreciate everything, since I'm generally more of a UC side-stories and AU kind of person. I think if I look at everything from a different angle, like many you've noted, I can see what the director was trying to do. It's valid, even if I may not be head over heels for it on all points.

I think that all things considered, I'd be more enticed to watch UC4 on repeat viewings than UC5. I do think I'll ultimately collect this series; but I get the feeling that if I do, it'd be more for sections rather than the entire narrative--but again, I could be wrong. I never said UC4 was a terrible episode; but it seemed to flow strangely after UC3 from my initial viewing of it. I think Kirks really helps humanize Loni some, but I think I would have liked a little more time and development there, even during that desperate battle where their comrades were dying all around them. Oh, and when the Zeon Remnants launched from all over their hiding places, a few shots of Zeon pilots getting excited to go out and making some comments would have gone a long way. Maybe even some more dialogue from grunts during the big fight. As for Full Frontal, yeah, he hasn't gotten a lot of time recently.

Oh, this is a random placement for this, but Bright has his own crew of adult pilots (sort of like the pilots of 0083 on Albion), but I'm surprised they haven't been weaved in just a little more. Maybe in future episodes? They're not the focus, but they could get maybe a little more dialogue, especially with Riddhe going rogue it seems. As for the Argama comedy, yeah, that was sort of awkward in execution. I kind of liked that it was different and break from the formality of Bright, though.

Oh, and I don't know anything about the Japanese version of PSN, sorry.

Kratos

Post by Kratos » Fri May 09, 2014 1:45 am

Oh, please don't read it like I'm criticizing your position - maybe I got a bit carried away, and it came off as suggesting that you're wrong. This is purely what I personally saw in there, and I just thought I'd give my reasons for enjoying it so much. What one of us gets out of an episode/series isn't what somebody else will. I'm not even sure my opinions on it are consensus enough for a different one to rock any boats - "In the Depths of a Gravity Well" is a fairly divisive episode, but that creates more perspectives, which allows more discussion. Thanks for this!

BrentD15

Post by BrentD15 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 am

LightningCount wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:I really don't see how the urban fight scenes in UC4 "must" compete with 08th and 0080. :?
I'm sorry if that's an offensive opinion, but I just think it's human nature. Unicorn is the big UC OVA of the day, and it spends minimal time on Earth, so you want it to make those moments impactful and dynamic. The broad strokes it paints could have been done with less embellishment if they're just there to kill time and make a statement. The embellishment given to the unseen, unnamed pilot of the Byarlant Custom was a bit puzzling for me. It seemed to say I was supposed to know who the pilot was and what the machine was given its entrance and ensuing moments.

It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't work for me as much as I had hoped. While this is a quick example off the top of my head, that'd be like having 08th Team fight the Gouf Custom and never see or hear from Norris. While the beginning of UC4 balanced it out a bit with a few grunt pilot shots, too often it felt like a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" way of handling the fights, which is more in line with an opening video for a Gundam video game than an anime, especially when combatants on both sides are all but unknown. I get it that it's sort of fun to see so much unrestrained mecha combat from every other MS found in a variants guidebook, but it felt like there was a missed opportunity for some more "texture" in all of this. That's what I'm getting at. Nevertheless, I still think it stands out for its sense of spectacle, so maybe that's enough. (It's tempting to put UC4 over UC5 for the amount of MS combat, sure). It's only that UC4 already felt like it had a good amount of broad strokes/time jumps compared to UC1-3 as it was--even Banagher and Zinnerman's crew had developed a rapport all of a sudden. In terms of telling a story with some feeling, though, I thought UC5 was more genuine and less detached on the whole from first impressions. But to each their own.
It's not offensive, I was just wondering why do it? :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

HellCat

Post by HellCat » Fri May 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Ignoring that certain character that we've discussed to death, Episode 4 is the weakest in my eyes. I love the diner scene but in general it's an episode trying to do too much in too little time and nursing a clear bias. It's cool to see the stragglers of the OYW and similar come together to attack a single target, but the Federation basically gets slaughtered until a certain custom appears.

I also don't really care for the angle it takes with Riddhe. I'm sure this is probably one of those Wing style things where the 'adults' are only like 4 years older, but seeing Riddhe embrace the tiny in comparison Mineva and suddenly obsess over her....eww. Granted there's no shortage of 'big brother, cool mentor veteran pilots' in mecha shows, but it comes out of nowhere really and the sheer rage he suddenly has for Banagher comes off like an insane stalker. This is part of the reason why episode 5 is one of my favourites, since Riddhe actually gets to defend his new stance and make some valid points.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

toysdream

Post by toysdream » Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm

I guess there's a fairly small set of ultra-memorable city fights in the Gundam back catalog, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to compare the newest entry against them. This actually raises the question of what the all-time Great Gundam Fights would be. (I'm partial to Amuro vs. Char at Texas Colony, but that's partly because of the music.)

As far as the sense that not everything is explained in the anime, and you'd need to read the novels for full background deets - well, that's certainly the impression I got from working on the series. But I suppose that's not exactly a novelty in the Gundam series, which tends to leave a lot of major plot points unexplained (like the nature of Glemy's relationship to the Zabi family in ZZ, where the heck all those Ple clones came from, whether the colony drop in Gundam 0083 was deliberately targeted or not...).

-- Mark

Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Post by Soma Taozi » Mon May 12, 2014 11:56 pm

So I am in the process of rewatching all 6 episodes of Unicorn to prepare for the final chapter next week. I will post my brief thoughts on the series in a few days, but I just wanted to say (as someone who is halfway through episode 6), I think Gundam Unicorn episode 4 might have the best collection of INDIVIDUAL scenes.

Episode 1 has some really good stuff too, but it pales in comparison to the cafe scene, the desert scene, and the fight/discussion between Zimmerman and Banagher. Despite how COLLECTIVELY that episode is the worst in the series.

On a side note, those who know me will remember that I have a thing for analyzing characters...and it struck me during this entire rewatch just how Banagher is kind of a nerd. Not Amuro levels of shut-in, and he is defiantly more sociable (if a little quiet at the start), but it is just something I picked up on.

Or maybe it is the translation and dialogue that gives me this impression.

Kratos

Post by Kratos » Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 am

Banagher is a little odd, isn't he? As much as I really enjoy his developmental arc, he's not gonna win an award for "most relatable Gundam protagonist" any time soon. And he definitely has a few cringe-worthy lines here and there, especially early on ("I don't care what your *NAME* is, to me you're *AUDREY*").

Although maybe that's as it it should be, him being a disenfranchised budding Newtype and all.

Xenosynth

Post by Xenosynth » Tue May 13, 2014 1:19 am

I agree. Banagher for me is relatable... about 80% of the time? But that 20% that he isn't is really just weird. His whole single mindedness on Mineva being one of the things I found odd. Not that he wanted to protect her, just more his whole 'Tell me you need me,' thing, which was a bit strange. Otherwise though, usually when speaking his mind and whatnot, I don't think he's that unrelatable , at least for me.

Mythgarr

Post by Mythgarr » Tue May 13, 2014 1:22 am

Banagher is just a....let's see, "failed distillation of all young UC protagonists".
He knows his gundams, he can fight in fisticuff, he got opinions and loud about it, and somehow good with piloting MS.
Visit The Dreams

Xenosynth

Post by Xenosynth » Tue May 13, 2014 1:24 am

I dunno. I wouldn't say 'failed', because outside of how he treated Loni in the anime, pretty much everything he says makes sense, I think. I honestly only find how he treated Loni to be the one thing I disagree with him on, otherwise it's either neutral or makes sense. As a pilot, he's not too shabby either, and while the computer of the Unicorn definitely did some hand holding, he still holds his own (and probably could have killed Frontal if not for the being caught in the Earth's gravity well).

Kratos

Post by Kratos » Tue May 13, 2014 1:31 am

Mythgarr wrote:and somehow good with piloting MS.
I dunno if I'd say he's a good pilot. He can handle those industrial Petit MS things and can competently control a full-sized MS, but it's heavily implied on several occasions that his battle success owes a great deal to the Unicorn itself. He can move it, and can aim a gun, but that's really about all we see him do (when the NTD isn't using him as a human processing unit). In fact, he doesn't even engage in an actual MS battle for three episodes; I think the Banshee fight that kicks off Episode 7 is the first since the end of the episode 3.

Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Post by Soma Taozi » Tue May 13, 2014 2:23 am

Banagher is relatable, I just meant he was an adorable nerd. More on that, in episode 1, wasn't he training to be an engineer? If this is the case, I have to say that as a child in a heavy engineer family, Banagher doesn't really act like most engineers I know(if he even is one?).

If you watch episode 1 it is VERY apparent that Banagher isn't that close with his classmates, even to the point of being bored when he around them. He doesn't seem interested in what they are talking about...which I think is the reason Micott likes him, BECAUSE he is so distant.

Banagher's closest friend back at Industrial 7 was Takuya. And I want to talk about this guy, because no one in that now deceased group seemed to like him. I choose to think this way after watching episode 1 and 2...

Why?

Because how little Takuya cares about all their college 'friends' dying. Seriously...he obviously feels sad and shocked, but he DEFINITELY isn't shook up or emotionally damaged (like poor Micott). The guy almost just shrugged it off and was FAR more interested in the mecha around him.

On Banagher wanting to help Audrey, it makes sense. He even says it in the first episode that he is wondering 'where' he is and 'why.' Banagher is WAITING for his life to start and it almost literally falls into his lap. He finally sees something interesting and exciting and I think a part of him seized on that.

Furthermore, the more he was with Audrey, he more he saw how they were similar.

You can see that when she says "The World is Growing" at the sight of Snail. He looks at her, smiles, and looks up. It is in this moment that it is written on his face that, "This girl is my type." If you go back a little further to when they crash together and she walks away, Banagher raises a hand desperately and calls her back. For a few seconds he pauses and stares at said hand, almost as if he was surprised how emotional he got. At how much he was actually interested in stuff around him.

To sum up: A girl who is mysterious, interesting, talks like she UNDERSTANDS things, thinks the same way he does, has a similar background and most importantly, brings excitement comes into his life...of course he wants to know what she wants.

On Audrey's end, I feel that she likes him because he doesn't treat her like a Princess, has a similar background to herself, and wants to hear what she ACTUALLY wants...not what her responsibilities TELL her she wants. That and by now, they have been through a lot together. I think during the first few episodes, it is unrequited love. Audrey just cannot understand at first WHY this guy is all over her, especially when she kept trying to push him away or use him. He lets Audrey be herself and I think she finds that refreshing. And hey, I think it is kinda cute.