The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

yazi88 wrote:The poster looked just the poster from Stargazer except replace the Strike Noir coming out of the flames with a severed head with Destiny. Also, how many times must it show the damn AS-sword? Its in the background, the Destiny is holding it in the right hand, then its on the right side in front!
Wrong poster. :mrgreen: I meant this one. With the flaming face of the Gundam. And I actually just saw the new one you were talking about, don't like it at all either. It reminds me oddly of Soul Eater for some reason.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
HellCat

I remember late Destiny Gunpla ads which had Strike Freedom and Destiny wings extending from either side of the planet. I believe the former was bathed in a calming light whilst the latter was cooking in fire.

Yeah, don't really expect anyone outside game and manga writers to give Shinn a fair chance.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
monster

HellCat wrote:I remember late Destiny Gunpla ads which had Strike Freedom and Destiny wings extending from either side of the planet. I believe the former was bathed in a calming light whilst the latter was cooking in fire.
Considering that Shinn was angry in parts of Destiny and Kira was calm in parts of Destiny, it seems a fair representation to me.

(And I am not saying whether or not they have a right to be angry and calm, respectively.)

It's fine if people don't like that Shinn's character was angry in Destiny, but given the fact that he was, I don't think it's unfair of them to represent such powerful emotion that is part of Shinn's character in Destiny in promotional images of Shinn/Destiny.
Amion

I'd have to agree. I actually liked the angry aspect of Shinn, it's just that he's pushed out of the way in the end by Yamato.
Erisie

Amion wrote:I'd have to agree. I actually liked the angry aspect of Shinn, it's just that he's pushed out of the way in the end by Yamato.
My problem with Shinn's anger is that it is completely one-dimmensional. His only attitude over the 50 episodes is to be a spewing ball of rage, never evolving from that or even calming down. The only time he's ever level-headed is at the end of Final Plus, becoming another puppet of Kira after his defeat.

Allow me to say that I don't like Kira Yamato in the slightest, but that doesn't make Shinn an likeable or interesting character.
Amion

Gasp! Did I say I liked Shinn's character? No, I said I liked his aspect of anger and that he's pushed out of the way by Kira Yamato. If Fukuda stayed with Shinn completely, instead of switching gears, Shinn might have evolved more. We might have gotten some relevant development in numerous ways, even if the final product wast he same, we would at least have heard his side of the story, versus not getting much of anything.
monster

Amion wrote:we would at least have heard his side of the story, versus not getting much of anything.
Actually, Shinn's side of the story has been pretty clear: On the one hand, there is ZAFT, which gave Shinn a new purpose in life. On the other hand, there are those who oppose ZAFT.
Arbiter GUNDAM

A previous post has got me curious. How exactly does this SRWZ version of Destiny "make sense" as compared to the original TV show?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

My old post on it.

There is a little more, Shinn also confront Kira about Stella's death. Instead of usual omnipotent attitude, Kira accept that he did some serious mistakes and Shinn's anger is justified. This actually calm down Shinn, who now see Kira as "a person", and realize he can't blame Kira for everything, since surely Kira did what he though as the best.

(and I'm under impression that this is the very scene that upset Fukuda :P )
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

monster wrote:
Amion wrote:we would at least have heard his side of the story, versus not getting much of anything.
Actually, Shinn's side of the story has been pretty clear: On the one hand, there is ZAFT, which gave Shinn a new purpose in life. On the other hand, there are those who oppose ZAFT.
I'm talking about his thought processes, what he thinks about Durandel's plan, his confrontations with Luna and possible guilt for heartlessly killing her sister, and a plethora of other things Fukuda might have done if he wanted to. But he didn't and we're not going to get anything other than what we have, so we might as well drop this.
monster

Kuruni wrote:My old post on it.

There is a little more, Shinn also confront Kira about Stella's death. Instead of usual omnipotent attitude, Kira accept that he did some serious mistakes and Shinn's anger is justified. This actually calm down Shinn, who now see Kira as "a person", and realize he can't blame Kira for everything, since surely Kira did what he though as the best.

(and I'm under impression that this is the very scene that upset Fukuda :P )
Actually, that doesn't make any sense at all. Why would Shinn confront Kira when they don't even know each other?

It seems to me that SRW simply has a version of the story that some people would like to see happen in Destiny, but that doesn't necessarily mean it "makes more sense" than what actually happened.

I don't know much about SRW, so maybe Shinn confronting Kira about Stella's death makes sense in the context of the SRW story, but it doesn't in Destiny.
Amion wrote: I'm talking about his thought processes, what he thinks about Durandel's plan,
To be fair, Durandal's plan isn't as relevant to Shinn's part of the story. My guess is that he's optimistically cautious about it. But whatever his thoughts maybe, he still believes that Djibril and LOGOS is definitely bad, and he sees Orb as an accomplish to Djibril.
his confrontations with Luna and possible guilt for heartlessly killing her sister,
I think Shinn's position is pretty clear, here. He's sorry about killing Meyrin, but at the end of the day, she was still a traitor. What probably needs more explaining is Lunamaria's reaction.
Amion

You're talking about Destiny as we know it, not as it could have been. You've lost my point that I believed Shinn was malleable enough to be a worthwhile character. And don't start saying there is no room for fanfiction here, because that's not what I'm talking about.

Destiny derives a lot of its plot points from Zeta, that is pretty much stated. I don't particularly like Shinn throughout most of Destiny, but I didn't like Kamille Bidan that much either until the later half. Both threw tantrums, got delightfully slapped, and just had issues over all. But Shinn never grows up after killing Kira and he's not expected to, since his screentime is nonexistent for all practical purposes. All I was saying is that his anger and rage people seem to keep getting angry about is not what makes him a dislikable character, it's that he never grows out of this that causes us fans to pull our hair, especially when dealing with Kira's holier than thou nonsense.

And in what way does the Destiny Plan or Durandel in general not have to do with Shinn, or everyone for that matter. He wants to essential enslave the world with a gene caste system, and blatantly asks Shinn to help create this world. That was the last significant piece of development for him, yet it didn't affect his anger issues because Fukuda deemed it so.

So just forget I said anything, forgive me for attempting to find some potential in his anger, or pleasure in the fact that he's a soldier who does his job (albeit too happily) without crying for the souls he kills and wondering if it makes him a black-hearted anti-Kira. Forget it. From now on, I'll complain about every aspect of his being, and Destiny too. Except for maybe some of the MS designs, which I'm sure will somehow fall out of grace as people train their hatometers away from the characters for once.
monster

Amion wrote:You're talking about Destiny as we know it, not as it could have been. You've lost my point that I believed Shinn was malleable enough to be a worthwhile character. And don't start saying there is no room for fanfiction here, because that's not what I'm talking about.
Look, that's fine. But if the question was what made SRW makes sense as compared to Destiny, I was hoping that you (or anyone) would come up with something that didn't make sense in Destiny and how SRW differs that it makes sense (or at least more sense), not just pointing out differences that you like.

If you're arguing for Shinn's potential as a character, I have no problem with that. But I think that has little to do with Destiny not "making sense." Maybe the more accurate way to phrase it, in this case, would be not living up to some people's expectations.
Shinn never grows up after killing Kira and he's not expected to, since his screentime is nonexistent for all practical purposes. All I was saying is that his anger and rage people seem to keep getting angry about is not what makes him a dislikable character, it's that he never grows out of this that causes us fans to pull our hair, especially when dealing with Kira's holier than thou nonsense.
To be fair, he did grow out of it when his anger got so bad that he became delusional and almost killed Lunamaria. It's just that some people don't like the way they did it.

Also, Kira's "holier than thou nonsense," if that's what you want to call it, is more directed toward Athrun than Shinn. And, frankly, I have no sympathy toward Athrun in Destiny. If anything, he is a much bigger problem to Shinn than Kira ever was.
And in what way does the Destiny Plan or Durandel in general not have to do with Shinn, or everyone for that matter. He wants to essential enslave the world with a gene caste system, and blatantly asks Shinn to help create this world. That was the last significant piece of development for him, yet it didn't affect his anger issues because Fukuda deemed it so.
It didn't because the Destiny Plan was supposed to be a solution to finally end the wars. And war is what took everything that meant anything to Shinn. So excuse him for trying to believe in something that could change his life for the better.

But like I said, it ultimately didn't matter as, in the short term, Shinn was dealing with LOGOS (and Orb by association) who supposedly benefited from creating wars.
So just forget I said anything, forgive me for attempting to find some potential in his anger, or pleasure in the fact that he's a soldier who does his job (albeit too happily) without crying for the souls he kills and wondering if it makes him a black-hearted anti-Kira.
For what it's worth, I think it's fine for Shinn to be that way too. That doesn't mean he has to be a black-hearted person, nor does it mean that he has to be vindicated either.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Strike Zero

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:BTW, Thundermuffin is back. :D
That he is -- everyone go and check this out right now. :D
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Kuruni

monster wrote:Actually, that doesn't make any sense at all. Why would Shinn confront Kira when they don't even know each other?

It seems to me that SRW simply has a version of the story that some people would like to see happen in Destiny, but that doesn't necessarily mean it "makes more sense" than what actually happened.

I don't know much about SRW, so maybe Shinn confronting Kira about Stella's death makes sense in the context of the SRW story, but it doesn't in Destiny.
He doesn't know "Kira" personally until that point, but he know "Freedom's pilot" whose indeed has long history with him. Lets use metaphor, if I manage to pull epic cyber prank on you, so epic that it somehow cause you to loss your job, and break up with your spouse. Then you meet me in person, and somehow recognize who I'm on net. Even if it's our first encounter and you don't know me, would you confront me about it? (assume that you can't use more devious method for revenge, that it)

If not, please post your credit card number here, I would like to do some experiment :mrgreen: .
monster

Kuruni wrote:He doesn't know "Kira" personally until that point, but he know "Freedom's pilot" whose indeed has long history with him.
That "long history" was about 7 encounters on the battlefield.

Beside, what was Shinn supposed to say?

That Kira killed Stella? It's a battle.

That Stella could've been pacified? She obviously wasn't when she was about to fire again.

That Shinn's anger toward Kira was justified? Why would Shinn need Kira's approval to be mad at Kira?

Instead, Shinn probably realized that he's been on a one-sided anger "relationship" with Kira and how pointless it was. So, he decided to let go of that issue and moved on with his life.
Kuruni

There is still possibility that he's one who blow the Asuka for good, remeber?

And 7 encounter is quite long record. You can disprove me by go ahead and pick a fight with a local gangster, see if you can fight him for 8th time (make sure it'ss erious and weapon-involve, sport match won't count). That remind me, if two boxers have record of 7 match on ring, is that a short one?

It's indeed cleaer in game. If you're on Shinn's side, your team actually went through cautious steps to disable the Destroy without blow it up. You did it, it seem to work, then Kira swoop in and steal kill. Not to mention several mission before that where he join in the mid of battle and shooting both side, as well as disable Minerva's MAP attack when you really need it. Shinn's route really build up so you hate him, I admit.

But the real point is, even if it's something need to be done, killing people still isn't good thing. And instead of waving his moral license, Kira admit that even if he had to did it, fact remain that he kill her and Shinn's anger is understandable. I say the whole point of this scene is brining Kira down from the messiah-who-can-do-no-wrong, to a person who acknowledge that his action can make people suffer even if he think it's right and/or still has to do it.
Amion

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:BTW, Thundermuffin is back. :D
I know! Everyone should go immediately if they're having a bad day. It fixed mine. :mrgreen:
monster

Kuruni wrote:There is still possibility that he's one who blow the Asuka for good, remeber?
Nobody knows about that possibility except the audience.
And 7 encounter is quite long record. You can disprove me by go ahead and pick a fight with a local gangster, see if you can fight him for 8th time (make sure it'ss erious and weapon-involve, sport match won't count). That remind me, if two boxers have record of 7 match on ring, is that a short one?
We're not talking about 2 boxers fighting, we're talking about a battle where multiple mobile suits are fighting. In fact, most of their encounters did not last long and also not face-to-face.
It's indeed cleaer in game. If you're on Shinn's side, your team actually went through cautious steps to disable the Destroy without blow it up. You did it, it seem to work, then Kira swoop in and steal kill. Not to mention several mission before that where he join in the mid of battle and shooting both side, as well as disable Minerva's MAP attack when you really need it. Shinn's route really build up so you hate him, I admit.
Sure, but I was never against Shinn hating him during the war. I just don't see the point of him confronting Kira. The Freedom's pilot was his enemy, that's enough of a reason for Shinn to fight Kira, but he does not need to confront him.
But the real point is, even if it's something need to be done, killing people still isn't good thing. And instead of waving his moral license, Kira admit that even if he had to did it, fact remain that he kill her and Shinn's anger is understandable. I say the whole point of this scene is brining Kira down from the messiah-who-can-do-no-wrong, to a person who acknowledge that his action can make people suffer even if he think it's right and/or still has to do it.
Kira never waved any moral license at Shinn. Did he do that in the game? If so, that's the game's mistake.

Beside, if you're going that route, then Shinn has killed many people. So that's even more reason for Shinn not to confront Kira over something that he's equally as guilty.