Super Dimensional Travel Time

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Super Dimensional Travel Time

So here I was browsing the main site for some mecha profiles when I stumble upon Chris' latest addition to the review database, Super Dimensional Century Orguss. I read the reviews, wasn't impressed and decided to watch the first episode. Honestly, the first time I saw the name and how the show starts, I thought, maybe the name was a direct pun off of orgy :shock:

-flashing lasers and explosions later (stubbornly disregarding stock footage)-

And here I am, resolved to watch all 35 episodes. First, I can definitely see the similarities with the designs. The Bronco II just screams Valkyrie Gerwalk mode. As a matter of fact I think it's even called the same thing. There's other Easter eggs too, but Chris already covered them, and I never finished Macross. Somehow, Orguss drew me in faster, mostly with the assault on the orbital elevator. I just loved the scenes involving the dimensional bomb as it spiraled down to the surface. :mrgreen:

Now, the opening scene was a shocker. Then again it pretty much sums up Kei in a single sentence. Listening to him say the names of three or four different names of the girls he'd dated before waking up aboard the Emaan's ship, the Glomar was it? Was hilarious.

The only other noteworthy event from episode one that caught my attention was how Kei knew to disarm the self-destruct. He's a pilot right? Not an explosives expert. I guess it's a good thing he did know because otherwise the series wouldn't be here. :D Shame on you Kei, that'll teach him not to mess with dimensional warping technology. And now he's got three whole worlds in a mess because of it.

Episode two impressed me even more because it directly explains why the Emaan didn't react horribly to the deaths of their unnamed friends who are killed. The part where they were praying around the stone also came off as well done to me, so it was a nice touch. I also like Mimsy far more than Misa from Macross, even though they share striking similarities, and I can't imagine why. It's the hair, gotta be.

I don't know if it's related, but that pink hover bike Mimsy used reminded me of Akane's bike on Vividred operation. I wonder if this bike was one of the inspirations by chance.

So....Anyone else got any thoughts?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
angelwingzero

Re: Super Dimensional Travel Time

On the naming thing, three original Super Dimension series follow, not a pun but, a spelling similarity; all three end in "ss". Macross, Orguss, Southern Cross. I just realized that the other day.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Amion

Interesting. I've seen a little of Southern Cross, though Orguss is more enjoyable so far.

Now then, episodes 3-5. Not much to say about episode three, other than the remarkable appearance of Olson, wearing sunglasses no less. Who does he think he is, Quattro Bajeena? The commander of the Chiram forces seems to be surprisingly kindly and wants to not waste anymore lives, a far cry from his underlings we've seen so far. Perhaps more of him will be revealed in the future.

The Orguss' debut was kinda mediocre, but the episode following it made up for this a little. I have to wonder why the Orguss only has a missile launcher. Where did the lasers go on Emaan craft it was integrated with along with the Bronco? Hopefully it will get more firepower.

The end of episode five was good with some moments for Kei and Mimsy. Honestly, hasn't Sley gotten the idea yet that Mimsy doesn't like him? Hopefully more interactions follow with this, because I can't even call this a love triangle yet. For someone who's trying to win his fiance over, Sley doesn't get much screentime to do it. Perhaps future episodes will fix this as well.
Amion

Episodes 6-8.

Well these episodes kinda meshed pretty well together watching them all at once.

First off we get plenty of friction between the Kai-Mimsi-Sley triangle, continuing straight in from the ending of episode 5, this works wonders to get the show moving forward. At least I think it was six that did this. As I said the episodes just flowed for me so well. I honestly can't think of a single mecha anime I've seen where this is the case. It also appears Jeveat is earning his keep as a dimensional transference radar. Nice to get some backstory on his part, though it amazes me that he is actually a playboy like Kei. No wonder they hit it off so well despite the race difference.

We get some honestly hilarious moments where the Emaan question why Kei doesn't want to bathe with them. Humorously, I noticed that while Shaia doesn't mind the idea, Mimsy yells at Kei for wanting to with her, which makes me think she realizes that it means more to him. I guess Lolicons would like the scenes between Kei and Mhoom. Really though, she's a machine right? These episodes make me wonder. :?

Lastly, the mecha! Yes, by George we get some new mecha for the poor Chiram, who even then still use the obviously inept Ishkicks. They did more damage to the Glomar in one episode with those amphibious mecha than they did the entire show with Ishkicks. I wouldn't be surprised if those awesome looking scout bipeds would do better in all honesty. Now that the Orguss has multiple new weapons, I am really liking its design. Kei's experience is something I'm not used to, considering most mecha pilots in recent shows are inept, introspective teens. Not Kei! He blows 'em away like nothing and does it with style too. :twisted:

Ok, next time we'll see exactly where the Emaan homeland is. I'm assuming it's East Asia. And a thumbs up on Gibraltar being an impenetrable area. You can warp dimensions, but a bottleneck's a bottleneck. Now that they are going through Europe, I wonder if the mysterious Muu will appear...
Amion

Episodes 9-13.

So, the Emaan territory is near the middle east.

Chapter nine was descent and gave the Gromer a new cannon, but ten......Moon Moon at least had plot, but this episode was 100% random. Its only conceivable purpose was to have Sley injured for being a coward and have Mimsy fall in love with him again, which ends badly because the Caspian Valley arc ends with his death. It was well done, and the emotion felt very good, on top of the Chiram revealing the Neikick. Sadly, other than Athene's unit, they developed storm trooper syndrome and got demolished. On another note, the animation seemed sub-par throughout. A bad arc to do that with.

A great five episodes, and it's interesting to see the Caspian sea dried up. I wonder what other landmass changes are in store. From the preview, I gather the Muu are showing up soon, and from what Lieutenant did in episode 13, I am genuinely frightened of these robots now.
Amion

Wow, it's been a while since I last watched the last few episodes. The Emaan territory was cool, and that government building was quite large, although I'd bet it has more in it than offices. It actually wasn't surprising to find Shaia has a twin, what with the birthrate for females being higher and all. She seems quite the interesting character, but her ruthlessness is portrayed more and more each chapter.

I wonder why Olson and Kei must destroy all the other races to right the world. If all the dimensions are mixed or tangled up into one world, should it not be possible to untangle them? I suppose it's not that simple, but the Chiram are preparing something nasty, so it looks like things are starting to get desperate.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Amion wrote:I wonder why Olson and Kei must destroy all the other races to right the world. If all the dimensions are mixed or tangled up into one world, should it not be possible to untangle them? I suppose it's not that simple, but the Chiram are preparing something nasty, so it looks like things are starting to get desperate.
There's no need for them to destroy the world. They can, but that's a choice, one of many. The way I saw it, they'll have the power to reshape the worlds however they want, however many they want. Basically, they'll be gods.
The Chiram are basically planning to use them and make a world where they rule, and they're afraid other people might have the same idea.
Amion

Are you sure, Olson seems pretty convinced that one world has to be destroyed. I guess I'm looking at it wrong then. My original assumption was that they could just untangle the world and separate it into its multiple different universes. I guess you're right about the multiple choices though. The latest episode has Olson feeling guilty about this little girl and her family who help him, and it seems to him that he might not realize there is a more peaceful solution that doesn't end up with Chiram rule.
Shinji103

Well Olsen is being his pessimistic self when he's saying they have to sacrifice some to save more.

You're not wrong; they can untangle the worlds. They can do pretty much whatever they want with the worlds. Seperate them, recombine them, intermingle them to create their own ideal worlds, etc. (keep that last one in mind..... :D)
Amion

Oh, create their own worlds? That sounds intriguing. I must question though what kind of world Kei would create. :mrgreen:
Shinji103

Amion wrote:Oh, create their own worlds? That sounds intriguing. I must question though what kind of world Kei would create. :mrgreen:
I'll keep tat one under wraps until you see the final episode. :)
Kei Katsuragi

When you finish this series, you must tell me what you think. I'm still on the fence about this show I've never seen and only recently heard of.
Amion

Will do Kei. And I'm glad you're still around. You vanished there for a while.

I also forgot to mention that I was very disappointed about Sley's return and sudden death. It would have been positively tragic if he perished via anything other than blatant suicide. I can't understand why weapons were not intentionally placed on the Orguss mkII. It seems just like an excuse to remove him as a character.

Oh well, there's still lots to look forward to. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I looove the Neikick. It just reminds me so much of those old Lego Blacktron sets. :D
Amion

Finally! It took longer than expected but Super Dimensional Orguss is finally finished. The ending was abrupt, but somehow fitting where the last thing we see is the different Earth's separating like they're supposed to.

A lot happened over the last ten episodes or so, lots of good little details. Roberto and Henry finally die, and I must say I can't decide whether the show gets a star for killing them or loses one for having created the likes of those two in the first place.

I was never much of a fan of Mhome the whole way through the series until around episode thirty or so, then she didn't bug me anymore for some odd reason. Perhaps it was her adventure with Tai. Her "death" was handled well and was a fitting end I think.

On a humerus note, I was shivering with fear that the Emaan ship that appeared during negotiations with the Chiram high command was Slei somehow returning. Again. Thank heavens he's gone. (Although I hear there's an Orguss II so there's always a chance *Shudder*)

The series is by not perfect, but I think it accomplished what it set out to do. Javyiet sees Mimy's baby, so perhaps that means everyone gets back together in the end. I have to complain the series didn't finish a bit faster. It could have done with twenty five episodes perfectly well, but over all the characters were well defined and the world was saved.

My rating for this show? Well I'd give it 3.5 out of five stars. If anyone else wants to check it out, I would recommend it, although it isn't a masterpiece, it can still be quite entertaining. Katsuragi Kei is a mentally stable if perverted adult, and the Emaan wouldn't know how to angst if Kamille Bidan dropped by to give them lessons. Despite the seemingly abrupt and possibly tragic ending, it still manages to give a hint that everything turns out of the better.