Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

Zeonista wrote:Destiny_Gundam; This show is going to deliver high-energy action, to be true! However, the character development of the team is going to share screen time. Since Gargantia also had a mostly-calm episdoe 2, don't be in a rush to make comparisons. As for the facial expressions, well, when Hirai's characters are allowed to have more than 1 emotion per episode they can be very expressive indeed! (Why no, I am not pointing a finger a a certain notorious sequel anime. Honest!)
I was only talking about their openings. Majestic Prince is obviously going for the silly comedy route and I'm okay with that. I was also just noting how that in the shows that have Hirai's character designs, they rarely make all those silly expressions, at least not this frequently.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Sume Gai

Majestic Prince has failed science so hard with it's explanation of the JURIA system. There's a whole pile of stuff that needs explanation in this series and these awkward character moments are not helping...
Spoiler
-Why do you select the worst team to pilot your super prototypes?
-Why do you not punish them for direct disobedience?
-Why are you turning them into a media circus, when it will breed jealousy and over-confidence?
-Why does Nico Nico run live news streams?
-DNA DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!!
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Zeonista

Sume Gai wrote:Majestic Prince has failed science so hard with it's explanation of the JURIA system. There's a whole pile of stuff that needs explanation in this series and these awkward character moments are not helping...
Most of the explanation is readily apparent according to result of the events portrayed, really.
Spoiler
-
Why do you select the worst team to pilot your super prototypes?
The "worst" results were because their team tried to use their individual preferences for action to win, instead of using the "best" results used by the other teams in the exam. The 5 super robots use individual specializations in unison to win, so Coach-sensei there was looking for the team that didn't perform as expected. In this case, "worst" was "different", which he wanted.
-Why do you not punish them for direct disobedience?
Well, their disobedience saved the lives of abandoned civilians who would have been slaughtered by the aliens. Punishing the heroes who successfully pulled their fat out of the fire would certainly not have been good, especially if the news media found out about it.
Why are you turning them into a media circus, when it will breed jealousy and over-confidence?
The PR spectacle is presented from their POV so it seems ridiculous, but after all these are the young heroes who won the first victory over the aliens. Victory needs to be played up for the war effort, to encourage popular support. (I could rant & rave on this topic for hours considering the real-life US war on terror, but it would not be permitted here at MAHQ.) So far "overconfidence" is the least of the hero team's problems. Even they can't believe their situation.
-Why does Nico Nico run live news streams?
Welcome to the era of 24-7 instant news and information access! The instant view and comment news coverage is the least fantastic element of the story, from a current information media standpoint.

-DNA DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!!
It doesn't work that way right now, you mean. Admittedly, the presentation was about as dumbed-down a description of biological function as related to selected genome characteristics as we could get, but this is mecha anime, not the Science channel. However, in the future after some advancements in genetic bioengineering, who can say if physical responses cannot be selected and augmented at will, and then corresponding technology crafted to take advantage of said response patterns?
[/quote]

Destiny_Gundam: After watching the official OP sequence, which I honestly originally thought was ED, I understand your comment better. It is almost at odds with the program's usual tone. The other 2 mecha anime have OP sequences that much better fit them.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

Zeonista's argument seems solid to me. Especially since I really don't see the point in people bashing a show about genetics when there's aliens involved. If we want to complain about how that's "so not realistic", then can we remove the giant robots and aliens too? Nope.

And frankly, given the tone of this series, who cares for a detailed explanation that makes absolute by the book sense, especially since science cannot prove anything and therefore the rules of the book change.

I loved the fact that the heroes were PRAISED for disobeying their orders. It shows open-mindedness in them military staff. They actually saved a base they were going to abandon, a wise strategist would not want to slap our heroes, unless they were from UC, then that would be a given even if they did obey, just for routine's sake. Orders are not everything, and nothing when pared with perfect results with a new unit who's fighting strength has yet to be properly field tested.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Sume Gai

A lot of my issues could be =easily= absolved with some very basic explanations the show simply refuses to give us which Is why I'm so annoyed. It's not like they don't have time between the incredibly awkward scenes with the group hanging out or talking with half introduced walking stereotypes.
Spoiler
-You know I might be willing to buy their individual talents if say, rather than getting utterly trounced by basic tactics they'd managed to actually appear marginally competent in that opening fight but ultimately gotten out maneuvered. This could be absolved quite easily by the masked guy simply saying he sees their potential or similar.

-Yes ignoring orders was the right thing to do, but they are solders and encouraging this behavior is quite frankly stupid. It diminishes a commanders authority and in turn destroys the cohesion of a unit which -they- know has a history of problems working as a team. It needn't be severe but at least a passing comment about listening to authority. Furthermore I was also referring to how, seconds after being reminded of the classified nature of their group one of them spills detailed technical specs of his super-powered prototype on a live press conference, the one your unknown enemy might have open access to?

-The need for a morale boost and propaganda is one thing, but look at how these kids cannot handle the attention. It's pressure and time away from their real and much more important duties of you know saving all mankind from aliens. this organization is clearly page enough to have a PR section to handle this. Regardless no one seems to even consider the ramifications of this attention.

-the Nico Nico comment was more of a joke in the murder arson and Jaywalking style but does have a nasty way of dating the series if Nico Nico doesn't last but right now that is unimportant. (an

-DNA is an ordered set of biological instructions, the human equivalent of a blueprint for a building. If that changes significantly It's questionable if we're still talking about humanity. It is not sentient and no one I know older than ten would ever credit it as having a survival instinct. What it stands for might but then why do you single it out as being DNA? why not say it taps into you subconscious. I'm not even asking for something particularly plausible just something that doesn't sound ridiculous...
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

Amion

Sume Gai wrote:A lot of my issues could be =easily= absolved with some very basic explanations the show simply refuses to give us which Is why I'm so annoyed. It's not like they don't have time between the incredibly awkward scenes with the group hanging out or talking with half introduced walking stereotypes.
Spoiler
-You know I might be willing to buy their individual talents if say, rather than getting utterly trounced by basic tactics they'd managed to actually appear marginally competent in that opening fight but ultimately gotten out maneuvered. This could be absolved quite easily by the masked guy simply saying he sees their potential or similar.

-Yes ignoring orders was the right thing to do, but they are solders and encouraging this behavior is quite frankly stupid. It diminishes a commanders authority and in turn destroys the cohesion of a unit which -they- know has a history of problems working as a team. It needn't be severe but at least a passing comment about listening to authority. Furthermore I was also referring to how, seconds after being reminded of the classified nature of their group one of them spills detailed technical specs of his super-powered prototype on a live press conference, the one your unknown enemy might have open access to?

-The need for a morale boost and propaganda is one thing, but look at how these kids cannot handle the attention. It's pressure and time away from their real and much more important duties of you know saving all mankind from aliens. this organization is clearly page enough to have a PR section to handle this. Regardless no one seems to even consider the ramifications of this attention.

-the Nico Nico comment was more of a joke in the murder arson and Jaywalking style but does have a nasty way of dating the series if Nico Nico doesn't last but right now that is unimportant. (an

-DNA is an ordered set of biological instructions, the human equivalent of a blueprint for a building. If that changes significantly It's questionable if we're still talking about humanity. It is not sentient and no one I know older than ten would ever credit it as having a survival instinct. What it stands for might but then why do you single it out as being DNA? why not say it taps into you subconscious. I'm not even asking for something particularly plausible just something that doesn't sound ridiculous...
Hmm, maybe I misunderstood the argument about DNA, then. And I do see how you would like some cohesive explanations for things, particularly how the techi was allowed to blab about his weapon systems to his machine.
Zeonista

Spoiler
Sume Gai wrote:[You know I might be willing to buy their individual talents if say, rather than getting utterly trounced by basic tactics they'd managed to actually appear marginally competent in that opening fight but ultimately gotten out maneuvered. This could be absolved quite easily by the masked guy simply saying he sees their potential or similar.
If storyline events had moved differently than I would say you would have been right. The advance of the aliens to the Asteroid Belt seems to have advanced the training schedule. The Coach-sensei (who keeps giving me the Gunbuster vibe :P) is going for immediate results with people who can do them. It is expecting a lot from the chosen five, but it's better for them to learn before the aliens are setting up base on Luna, right?
-Yes ignoring orders was the right thing to do, but they are solders and encouraging this behavior is quite frankly stupid.
Troops who can ignore existing order on the battlefield can also display initiative and flexibility on the battlefield, instead of standing around waiting to be told what to do. That sort of thing is a feature of heroes anyway, which is why they did it. Besides, the Enemy Ace doesn't seem to worried about what his superiors have to say about his mission performance, either. ;)
It needn't be severe but at least a passing comment about listening to authority.
Sorry, but one of the baseline story elements of any mecha anime is that Authority usually is there to be ignored or disobeyed, because Authority usually has its head stuck up its braided and be-medaled posterior. I expect this series to be no different in this than the ones that have preceded it for over thirty years.
-The need for a morale boost and propaganda is one thing, but look at how these kids cannot handle the attention.
Of course they can't, and that's the whole point of the scene. They've gone from nobodies to heroes in very short time, and they are charmingly unready for it. But then, who really is ready for that sort of attention, and truly is worthy of it? (The entire cast of Jersey Shore is hereby excluded from consideration. :D ) Now if you really wanted to complain about a waste of the heroes' time, you should have mentioned the satellite-positioning gig afterwards.
I totally missed it, but no harm done. :P
DNA is an ordered set of biological instructions, the human equivalent of a blueprint for a building. If that changes significantly It's questionable if we're still talking about humanity.
The Gundam SEED anime universe discussed in great detail how and why tweaking the human genome in no way changed the definition of "human". Of course, the first SEED series had an episode specifically told off to tell us why Coordinators were such a big deal. I am not expecting such consideration yet, since Majestic Prince to date is lighter than a standard Gundam series. As Amion has said, we shouldn't expect or need such an explanation to enjoy a 5-man team mecha anime.
[/quote]

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Sume Gai

I want to be clear here, I -want- to enjoy this series. I don't mind cliches (provided their done well) but honestly I have such a hard time looking past the giant cliches that are our characters (we've seen nothing from them that feels truly personal as yet) so far or the rather lacking attempts at justifications this series has made.
Spoiler
-Again I saw no reason in the groups introduction to suspect they were any better than the other groups. Their supposed strengths are all informed ability and mask guy has yet to actually explain his choice which is ultimately my problem here. Going back to Gunbuster, Noriko was a washout at first but it was her perseverance and subsequent improvement that earned her a spot in the Top Squadron. We never saw -anything- like that from these guys before they were handed the super prototypes, and no one bothers to give exposition on whatever other reason these guys are trusted to do this.

-The military is properly an organization, organizations need structures to function and this needs to be impressed upon new members especially. Yes a competent solder should not be expected to obey orders they find morally wrong, but there's something known as the calculus of necessity.

In this case let's say the vastly numerically superior alien force which humanity has yet to score a decisive victory against didn't run off before the super prototypes -designed- to explosively overclock ran down. Said civilians are dead, these machines and their pilots, collective years of effort, are destroyed and possibly the best hope for humanity's survival goes right down the drain.

Yes that didn't happen but it was entirely possible (provided you aren't aware you're in the first episode of a mecha anime) even highly plausible so as cruel as the order was it was a perfectly reasonable one to give and I see no reason it shouldn't be explained to these kids.

Furthermore you shouldn't use out of character knowledge (that this is mecha Anime or what the enemies do) to justify in-character action or lack thereof. Though it's worth noting, that Mecha tends to be rather bi-polar on authority one's immediate superiors (say Bright Noah or Murrue Ramius) tend to be decent enough while those disconnected from the reality of combat (high generals or politicians) tend to be either hand rubbingly evil (*cough*SEED*cough*) to apathetically self interested (most versions of the UC Federation) We've not seen enough to know where MJP's version falls.

-The satellite pushing gig isn't that much of a problem other than getting media interests involved. the repairs to the Federation's Electronic monitoring system has a high tactical value and it can even be considered maneuvers training. Again though the direct media involvement was a terrible move. It makes one pilot almost physically ill, it gives open access to information and enemy interference and victory will hurt the recently raised moral. The heroes you just put up on a public display got beaten right away without doing any significant damage to the enemy.

-I'm afraid you misunderstood my point on DNA, SEED dealt with the content of DNA, selecting superior genes from those that already exist (and does so rather poorly IMO) I was referring to a shift in the nature of DNA, It's not complex enough to have it's own survival instinct any more than a pint of alcohol. If it were I can't begin to imagine what kind of creature it must belong to.

For another broad (and likely poor) comparison. It's the difference in level of complexity between basic binary code and a computer game as seen by the player. Yes one is made up of the other but said other doesn't have the properties of the whole intrinsically built-in.

Zeonista

It's still way too early to tell how the anime will really progress, although I will predict at this point that there will be lots of n00b hijinks and tussling with the enemy up to the one-third or one-half point in the series. At that time something will happen, and then there will be no time left for funny business, and the anime will become forthcoming on some of the answers to questions that have been asked. Upon a repeat viewing, this anime reminds me of Kurogane Linebarrel, which started out as a whiz-bang bullied boy's wish fulfillment piece, and ended as a desperate battle against a trans-dimensional invasion.

Another reason why a lot of the mecha anime (and other sci-fi anime in general) seem to promise more than they can answer in three easy episodes is the story framing they do these days. Mecha shows have gotten more complex in their plotlines, with big reveals unraveling more layers of the onion in a fashion which would do credit to a period ninja story. Even Majestic Prince, which is a good deal lighter than Valvrave or the typical Gundam serial, has a lot of tech info they are holding back or detailing more in-story than the older series of my early days in fandom. Majestic Prince has 16 distinct technician characters, which amazes me no end! Before Patlabor it was rare to have one of the wrench crew given a name or personality; Zeta Gundam only bothered to give us poor sleep-deprived Anostage Mendoza. So there is a lot of nifty tech, which has more of a role in the story than "make bad guy go boom" and that demands an explanation...eventually. The internet sites these days are very useful! Back in the prehistory of anime fandom we had to wait for the Roman Album or Newtype 100% book, and then wait for Mark Simmons or another generous fan to translate some of it and put it in a fanzine. :)

Anime of the sci-fi variety has cheerfully indulged itself with genetic engineering ever since Jurassic Park, and with much of the same lack of depth that is characterized in the movie as opposed to Crichton's original thought-out piece. My general reaction to just about everything involving cloning, genetic engineering and related techno-babble these days is to gleefully shout "It's Mister DNA!" when the TV or movie scientist tries to kindly condescend to tell us Medieval peasants in the audience about the wonders thereof. :D So I ope the members here will understand if I'm not in a hurry to require answers for anime bio-science early this early in a story, or even 12 episodes in.

Amion

Spoiler
Well, this episode was far more serious than last time, and we get some mysteries too. I was mildly surprised to learn that their minds were actually erased, which would explain some of their quirks. The commander also seems to think of them as tools, not people, but he gets what he deserves with his plan falling to pieces and the ambush turned against them.
Destiny_Gundam

I think their group dynamic is actually pretty good. They snark at each other all the time, but not so much that them hanging out together feels forced. And as episode 3 showed they can have some nice moments between each other as well.
Amion

I know! It's funny that the techno dude and the busty girl actually have a lot in common that I didn't know previously. (I am a complete failure at names this month, gosh, what's the matter with me??)

We learn now why Hitachi has a such a love for super heroes. It's a pretty pitiable situation, really. And I have to question whether or not those baked goods were goods at all. I wish we'd gotten a truthful confirmation on whether the serious girl is actually good at baking. Some of those things looked really nice, barring the ones that have crazy colored icing.
zetatype

So it turns out the beach episode....wasn't a beach episode after all...sure fooled me.

Anyway, this was a nice episode. Got the usual group hijinks and a nice bit of character development especially between Hitachi and Kugimiya. Though was kinda shocked when Hitachi mentioned the whole memory wiping thing. Not so much the fact that they had their memories wiped, but more how it was just casually mentioned. Usually revelations like this get bit more "pomp and circumstance".

I'm still curious as to what kind of route this show will take. While the episodes seem to indicate that it will be primarily a fun mecha anime, the OP and ED as well the fact that this show is already slated for 24 episodes makes me wonder if the show will take on a more serious/darker tone at some point.
Amion

I know it's bad judgement to well, judge an anime by its OP, but somehow I just get this dark, ominous feeling, as if the humor is the calm before the storm. I would definitely not rule out the possibility that something serious lies in wait down the road.
Mythgarr

it feels like we are being boiled slowly in an onsen...calm and enjoyable at first until we're boiled done :D

Hitachi's talent is top rate intense concentration? Now that's a talent for mecha pilot!
Visit The Dreams
Amion

Something is up with him though, so we'll have to wait and see when the medical exam comes. Also seems as if the white haired princess knows Hitachi. I'm eager to learn why.

And I'll be very disappointed if they were childhood friends or something.

Episode 4: This was a very good episode, I loved the character moments and backstory.
Spoiler
Gotta love that the heroes got saved by a trio of aces in standard mobile weapons.
Destiny_Gundam

This episode reinforces how the characters are the show's greatest strengths.
iguanaman8989

It seems this show is doing something different.

The superiors actually show concern for the pilots' mental well being.

It's just one of those little things that had they kept in mind, several series would've turned out completely different.
Just imagine how things would've turned out if NERv had at least one councilor on staff...
Or had Shinn gotten over his rage issues before even getting near a Gundam.
Wellman

New episode out, some decent action scenes, inappropriate viewing of porn by some of the cast and fleshing out of Team Doberman who all flags raised so far seem poised not to make it past the series mid way point.

Oh and a mysterious student who may or may not join the team or be a cast member at least down the line. Great show honestly, sort of hope if it gets a dub it winds up on Toonami.
Destiny_Gundam

Man, the bit with the porn was absolutely hilarious.