Valvrave The Liberator

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kaioshin Sama

Re: Valvrave The Liberator

I like how much of the internet seems entirely convinced this show is going to blow chunks based on some of the flimsiest logic I've seen in a while. Only in the mecha fandom will you see this much outright negativity leading up to a show almost as a rule.
NastyNate

I don't know were the current conversation for this topic is so i'll just say i'm excited to watch this show soon. I don't know what it is about, but I'm sure gundamn will cover it and it will be fun to watch it with them.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Amion

Other than Chris' dire prediction of it being a poor story, most of the complaints I've recently heard are about its CGI quality.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that putting a lot of stock in this anime isn't worth it. At least until it airs and we get a clear idea what kind of we're in for.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Chris
Administrator

Amion wrote:Other than Chris' dire prediction of it being a poor story, most of the complaints I've recently heard are about its CGI quality.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that putting a lot of stock in this anime isn't worth it. At least until it airs and we get a clear idea what kind of we're in for.
I never said it would have a poor story, but that Kaioshin shouldn't unrealistically set his hopes on the show so high.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kaioshin Sama

Chris wrote:
Amion wrote:Other than Chris' dire prediction of it being a poor story, most of the complaints I've recently heard are about its CGI quality.

I never said it would have a poor story, but that Kaioshin shouldn't unrealistically set his hopes on the show so high.
Yes I indeed remember you saying this and it's sound advice, but trust me when I say they really aren't all that high given how disappointing the mecha genre has been of late when it comes to TV series, but that doesn't mean I intend to opt for the alternative of expecting it to be shit either cause if I go in with that attitude it's likely to be a miserable experience and ultimately the case in the end. That's why I always try to take a wait and see approach with the base expectation that it'll at least manage to hold my attention. If that's too high an expectation still then sorry but I really don't know how to lower it anymore.

Basically I just try to avoid the absolutism (everything is either anime of the year or complete irredeemable crap) that I recall you saying you hated about /m in one Q&A at the end of a podcast cause I'm probably more exasperated by it in mecha culture than you seem to be....at least I think. My stance is basically that nothing is ever as good or bad as people say it is and I'm sure that will hold true with this show come it's conclusion.

Anyway I don't think I'll ever be able to nor desire to make the same types of pre-assessments of shows as some have based on short clips of what amount to some character line art and a robot striking some poses in a PV. I just don't see how there's enough of a foundation to really say how good or poor the CGI is going to look until there's been a real chance to see it in motion in an actual combat sequence. Maybe I'm just more patient and less anxious then some, but I just don't see the benefit in discussing the aesthetics of the show yet as if we were a month into it actually airing.

I pretty much agree with this quite emphatically. Again I think people are confusing my wait and see approach for genuine enthusiasm and hype when really it's more like it's a mecha show and I watch it with the base hope that I'll enjoy it. I just kind of refuse to play the hype/anti-hype game at this point. :?
Amion

Chris wrote:

Oh, my bad. Sorry about that.
NastyNate

So about a month away until the show starts. No particular date it just says April on wikipidia. I don't know of any other new show coming out so this will most likely be my first since Sword Art Online.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

Amion

Well something to start looking forward to. I originally wanted to see the new Avatar show, but after watching the first season Legend of Korra, I'm now not too sure I want to remember this new season exists. Talk about failed drama. You know it's just a bunch of highschool angst when you have a love hexagon.

And I for one, will enjoy seeing what the Valvrave will be capable of. Will the main character be likeable? Will the plot truly be a Code Gease/MSG bastardization, or will it actually move in its own direction? Will the other mecha be worth it?

We can only wait and tune in when it starts! :mrgreen: With pitchforks at the ready should it not reach our expectations.
Mythgarr

Will someone explain the wireframe wings to me?
Visit The Dreams
NastyNate

Maybe it's like Victory Gundam and they are weapons like beam sabers.

Kyuzo Aoi

I read about the premise of the series, and it seems to be reminiscent of something...

From Danny Choo...

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/26855/ ... rator.html
The future has come with the development of space cities known as 'Dyson Spheres', which have allowed over 70% of mankind to live out in space. At the same time, the world has been separated into two major powers known as the Dorushia Military Alliance and the Atlantic Ring United States (ARUS).
Which I think...Dorushia=Russia,Zeon; ARUS=USA, Feddies. But I may go too far.

Diol maybe like Orb, though.
I am a Gundam!
Amion

The grunt machines we get a glimpse of are not that impressive imho. But we will undoubtedly be seeing more humanoid macha in the future.

And I must confess it is getting slightly irritating to see another young male rival trope in a mecha series. Can they not lay off with it for once? But who knows, maybe Valvrave will pull a fast one and turn it into an Amuro and Char rivalry dynamic.

And I looooved the Valvrave's rifle, though I'm still not too keen on the CGI, It'll probably be one of those things the viewer just has to get used to over the course of the show, so long as it isn't so glaringly bad that the viewer (such as myself in particular, don't know about anyone else) has to make themselves get used to it, or worse, just endure every grinding bit until the end....

Regardless I'm starting to get excited, if nothing more than seeing more of Saki.
bullethead

Amion wrote:And I looooved the Valvrave's rifle, though I'm still not too keen on the CGI, It'll probably be one of those things the viewer just has to get used to over the course of the show, so long as it isn't so glaringly bad that the viewer (such as myself in particular, don't know about anyone else) has to make themselves get used to it, or worse, just endure every grinding bit until the end....
It's really sad when video games are doing better at the whole 2.5D thing and people using Source Film Maker can make CGI that would be less jarring against 2D stuff than what we see in Valvrave. Maybe they were just showing off some really rough animatics in the PV, but man, that CG for the ships was bad.
Amion

Thing is, I don't mind bad CGI for vessels or slowly moving objects or even stationary objects (colonies, which arn't exactly moving around other than spinning their mirror panels) It's the mobile suits that make me want to pull my hair out.
PowerdGNFlag

(Since it's not yet here), ANN gives the premiere date as April 14.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Omega

PV 3 is out and you hear the OP in it.

Also, episode air dates are at the end, Crunchyroll is gonna simulcast it, and Aniplex USA scored the license for it.
Amion

Hmm, this is either going to be one of those fantastic masterpieces-

-or a dud in my book. Depends on how they do the highschool segments. And it looks like the Valvrave has stolen the Shining/God Gundam's shining mode. Totally, uncool, they better have a very convincing explanation for that. :evil:

It does seem to have a number of interesting characters though, at least in looks. And the young male rival guy seems to be playing a Zeheart role, only apparently ready to start knifing classmates should the need arise. A good touch, but we'll have to watch and find out.

Well, after seeing this preview I find myself looking forward to Gargantia more, thought I've heard mixed feelings about its director. *Shrugs*
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Hmm, I have heard about this show but honestly nothing I have seen has interested me. So unless you guys rave about it, I will probably give it a pass.

Shame, since it has been awhile since a mecha show has impressed me.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
NastyNate

I read that crunchyroll is going to have the show. That is really cool.

Zeonista

My main reaction so far has been that this anime's opening is a Gundam anime is everything but name. I have this comic suspicion that Sunrise scheduled GSD's re-run, then realized they had a new Gundam in the works, then hurriedly fired off an order to the production crew to make the necessary changes so they wouldn't have another Gundam-versus-Gundam fiasco on their hands. The trailer says it all.

1. In the future Man has moved out into Earth-orbit space, and lives in giant tin cans. Check.
2. The space-dwelling people are feeling a little confined out in space and are expanding at the cost of their neighbors. Check.
3. The Average Joe hero's space colony is an island of peace and prosperity amid all the wartime trouble. Check.
4. Naturally the situation is going to change well before the commercial break. Check.
5. The Average Joe flees the chaos with his friends and/or classmates and finds the Heroic Giant Robot, which is painted mostly white. Check.
6. The Average Joe's opposite is an Aryan blonde pretty-boy. Check.

So yes, it's a re-labeled Gundam story. Tell me I'm wrong. :D

Now, there are 2 reasons why I haven't laughed this one into the discard pile yet.
1. I already have a "not-a-Gundam" anime in my collection. It's called Metal Armor Dragonar, and it is a really good mecha anime that steals ideas from Gundam but tells its own story with those ideas. So Valvrave the Liberator could become a second Dragonar, and that would be alright.
2. The production looks really good. This is going to be the main Sunrise anime for spring & summer, so they are giving it their usual top-rank production. I'm not sure if they can beat the other two mecha shows yet, but it'll still be a cut above the other non-mecha anime, which are sometimes painfully low-budget.

Now, as for the comments regarding the animation quality, man some of you guys are spoiled. Now that Sunrise has gotten their CG motion & texture process smoothed out in the previous decade, their standard mecha shows look great! Compared to the first half of SPT Layzner or watching Tomino stretch a yen on Xabungle, or the blocky work from every SF show 1998-2003, Valvrave looks mighty!

So yeah, I'll be watching this one.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde