Valvrave The Liberator

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: Valvrave The Liberator

Glad for the Heero comparison, because that stoic, almost robotic attitude fits him perfectly. Now the question remains if he is actually trying to liberate JIOR, or this is all some elaborate plot to destabilize the military hold there and capture the remaining Valvrave units, if he realizes there are more, which wouldn't be a surprise to me, given his predictions.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Well L-Elf has another Lelouch notch on his belt.
Spoiler
He says he planned a revolution and Haruto merely sped it up a few years, which is what Lelouch told C.C.
Anyways, I think this episode was pretty neat. It looked like Haruto really had no choice but to make a contract with L-Elf...
Spoiler
Until Shouko throws a wrench into things by enacting an alternative. Well at least that plan was better than her "take off my clothes to prove I'm telling the truth" one :lol:

Also she's the president's daughter. Wasn't expecting that.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I think this is a first for me...and I really don't want to be THAT person...but I kinda hated the last episode. :shock:

Which is surprising, since it has been awhile since I have felt such distaste in watching an anime episode (for Gundam Age it was just this overall feeling of disappointment and mediocrity).

I don't know why I am feeling this way and I am struggling to put it into words...I guess the end seemed so silly, naive, and just a HUGE jump in reason and logic for a lot of these school characters that I honestly don't know, don't really like, and don't care for what-so-ever.

I am not someone who just hates something...I even liked Eureka 7 Ao quite a bit too...but I find myself at a lose for this intense feeling, since I at least was entertained by the last few episodes. Maybe I need to rewatch the episode...huh... :|
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
bullethead

Man, that scene where Shoko decides not to use some sort of logical argument to prove her point was pretty cringe-worthy. Girl could've just said "I overheard some dudes talking about it on the radio while checking things out at the school." Then again, most anime teens aren't that smart, especially in pressure situations.

That said, I'm really tired of the "US expy = jerks" thing Japan has going. It's like every mecha anime since SEED decided to go with that approach (except for 00 S1, which was refreshingly balanced in terms of how it presented nations). It did pay off in a decent comedy moment with the Senator though.

Also, it seems we have our first yandere AI controlled mecha ever. A shame it had to happen in a show where the good guys tried to swap out the teen pilot for their experienced ace at the first opportunity.
Destiny_Gundam

bullethead wrote:Man, that scene where Shoko decides not to use some sort of logical argument to prove her point was pretty cringe-worthy. Girl could've just said "I overheard some dudes talking about it on the radio while checking things out at the school."
But then she actually would have been lying.

And while ARUS might have "US" in its name, they're a UN expy.
Sulendil Zeta

Spoiler
So Shouko is this show's Lacus Cylne, huh? As in a character that have a naive or care-free first impression, but later turns out to have a good deal of political cunningness? Never see that coming, to be honest. :D
Strike Zero

Wow. This episode was dumb on multiple levels.

Praise be to L-Elf, for if it weren't for him gracing us with the glory of his presence, I would probably be more than a little irritated at the moment.

Now all we have to do is wait for the inevitable spectacular failure of Haruto and Shouko's magnificently stupid plan. Rest assured, I will be here to point and laugh hysterically when that happens.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

Of course there is a great deal of wide eyed optimism behind the plan. They are high schoolers. But in such a desperate situation they had to do something. In theory it's not all that dumb, since both sides want Valvrave and don't want the other side to get it. They won't want to risk it being given over to their enemy.

I'm sure it'll definitely hit plenty of road blocks, though.
Kei Katsuragi

Don't the "English Letter; hyphen; German Number" guys remind you people of the Gebler crew from Xenogears who would show up now and again?
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Can we agree not to post any more of the Valvrave hate here before it spreads any further? ^^b I've already seen a flood of ignorant Valvrave hating on plenty of other forums (big emphasis on "ignorant," a lot of these whiners are plain idiots who are clearly desperate to find something to hate on), and I'd hate for Mechatalk to get devolved to that level. >.>

Shouko's plan isn't half as dumb as the haters try to make it out to be. It's even less dumb when you consider their list of terrible options that they're stuck with. They're not trying to make a new nation or create an indefinite, fully self-sustaining colony to live on until the end of time, they're just trying to not get locked in internment camps.

People say the blackmail plan is dumb; I ask them "how so?" Whichever side gets the Valvrave will clearly have a definitive advantage over the other (if not just a plain "I win" button), so as Destiny said both sides want the Valvrave and don't want the other side to get it. Sure no matter what happens, if either side wants to they can march in and wipe them out if they want.

And then the Valvrave goes to the other side.

That's called a "lose-lose;" one side gets to waste time and resources taking over an insignificant colony while losing the super technology to the other side. By maintaining the status quo, at least the other side won't get the super technology.
Amion

I liked this episode. The way that techno girl freaked out made me think that she is hiding something more important than her hole-in-the-wall computer room, and Shoko realized it and kept quiet. (And then of course ruined the moment where blonde prep boy realizes it's his sister that Shoko is talking about) L-Elf laughing at the end was funny. But I do wonder if he's actually seeing the future. How?

I've enjoyed the highschoolers so far. They've made the best decision they could thanks to Shoko. It's a dangerous place they are walking on though. Even though I agree with Shinji and some others that it was the best of a completely bad situation, I will still laugh and point with Strike when this whole thing collapses.

Preferably in the next two episodes.

And while all of us are still in the mood to reason this episode and its points out without falling into total hatred, remember that opening scene. JIOR is planning to mass produce the Valvrave or some such. I doubt therefore that they will let this brave group of teenagers float around until Dorrian and ARUS forces get tired and decide to do something nasty like poison gas. Guess they should be thankful they aren't in the UC world.
Strike Zero

It would probably be easier for me to take this whole situation more seriously if it wasn't being orchestrated by a bunch of clowns.

The thing is, I know that I SHOULDN'T be trying to take it seriously and instead just be laughing at them and having a good time the same way I did during episodes 2 and 3. But for some reason I just couldn't do it for episode 4.

It's really bizarre. This definitely requires more analysis on my part.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

Amion wrote:The way that techno girl freaked out made me think that she is hiding something more important than her hole-in-the-wall computer room
Nah, she probably just has severe social anxiety.

It was quite satisfying to see L-Elf's plans fall apart because of Shouko. Didn't see that coming, did you L-Elf? :lol:
Amion

I suppose that girl could have that kind of social issues. And so far, I'm beginning to get a little irritated with those very big mecha the Dorrsian prettyboy squadron is using. I hate them now, even though I found their design appealing at first and they have tons of weaponry. Majestic Prince at least if giving me some enjoyable violence.

What I eagerly await though is the introduction of the green and yellow Valvrave units. I'm practically drooling over those two.
zetatype

Well that was.....umm.....interesting.....I think.

Ok, I'll admit the idea is not nearly as dumb as I thought it was at first.

I guess what I found so ludicrous was how cheery and happy go lucky everyone was about Shouko's plan. All the students act as if this plan is full proof and that nothing can go wrong. I mean I know that as a rule kids/teenagers can do/say so really stupid things but even this was pushing it. Maybe if everyone had shown some reservations before agreeing to the plan it wouldn't have sounded so ludicrous.

Wait a minute, an entire island nation entirely made up of kids/teenagers....is it just me or did Valvrave just be become "Lord of the Flies" in space?

Anyway, looks like the next episode is going to be fillerish, hope it at least gives us a good laugh.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Shinji103 wrote:Can we agree not to post any more of the Valvrave hate here before it spreads any further? ^^b I've already seen a flood of ignorant Valvrave hating on plenty of other forums (big emphasis on "ignorant," a lot of these whiners are plain idiots who are clearly desperate to find something to hate on), and I'd hate for Mechatalk to get devolved to that level. >.>
There is nothing wrong with not liking an episode. And personally speaking, both Strike Zero and I have expressed that this is just our opinions and that doesn't mean we hate the series as a whole.

I personally don't have too much of a problem with HOW they resolved the issue...I do have an issue with Valvrave going this direction in terms of plot...and just how easily all the students went along with it. It made me laugh in amazement how all of them just went "yay, we should do that. That good idea." In fact, some students honestly had that line.

But more with how they resolved this issue...and we will see how they resolve this in the next episode...BUT this whole idea just kind of stretched the believability for me a little too far. Because, what would stop Dorssia from BLOWING the separate module apart? They are 'smart' military experts...if a bunch of untrained students, honestly tried this. They would call their bluff and just attack (which is what i am predicting) and execute their parents if they didn't surrender. And if they tried to give Valvrave to ARUS...so what? After all, the ARUS our outmanned, outgunned, and simply don't have the technology to compete with the Dorssia military (something we have seen in previous episodes) so if the students try? Kill them all. They have one suit to your 4 Bombers and other mecha and ships...kill them all and be done with it. But first throw dissidence and confusion in their ranks by executing their parents. They have done nothing in this situation but make ARUS completely unable to make a move (the enemy that DOESN'T have control over the entire colony and has their parents lives).

Again, we will see how the next episode goes. But if Dorssia is paralyzed with shock I will very unimpressed...and again, L-Elf smirking makes me think that he knows this fact. But just the naive optimism and the focus on silly highschool characters I don't particularly like (I will admit I did enjoy hacker girl) where last episode we had L-Elf being awesome was a tough tone to follow.

But again, still enjoying Valvarve, but I just disliked this episode and I hope that it keeps up the quality fun excitement from previous episodes.

HOWEVER, something I can see with this being set up is the reveal of the other Valvrave units. I have a feeling that when the situations gets bad and it looks hopeless...the doctor guy show some of the students the other Valvrave units and they have to go help Haruto. So that when Dorssia is pushed back, the students are forced to pilot the other units because no one else can (something we seen in this epiosde). I really hope this show does that, since that would be a clever way of having students piloting the mechs.

So yeah, hoping that this is what Valvrave is leading too...
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Soma Taozi wrote:
Shinji103 wrote:Can we agree not to post any more of the Valvrave hate here before it spreads any further? ^^b I've already seen a flood of ignorant Valvrave hating on plenty of other forums (big emphasis on "ignorant," a lot of these whiners are plain idiots who are clearly desperate to find something to hate on), and I'd hate for Mechatalk to get devolved to that level. >.>
There is nothing wrong with not liking an episode.
But there's plenty wrong with spreading a flood of hate across multiple boards. I'd hate to see Mechatalk drown in it like other forums I love. And it always starts with just a few people talking about how dumb the latest episode was.....
Amion

Your distaste for the episode is perfectly fine, Soma. You control your dislike and give reasons for it. But a lot of people were freaking out in violent rage and refusing to even wait for next episode. After that...well, I will probably be joining the dislike. But then, I want to wait until at least episode seven or so before I decide the plot is going completely haywire bad.

And for the record, I'm not happy about next episode either. But who knows? Next ep might be the happy "Yay look at us!" episode.

And next the Dorrsians gas the place or somesuch.

Isn't it funny that when an anime goes bad, we fans start looking to the villains to save the show? I find that the epitimy of irony. "The plot's gone bad?! Come on antagonist, show 'em how eevil you are!"
Destiny_Gundam

Shinji103 wrote:But there's plenty wrong with spreading a flood of hate across multiple boards. I'd hate to see Mechatalk drown in it like other forums I love. And it always starts with just a few people talking about how dumb the latest episode was.....
Don't worry. We have mods for that.

And I think people are underestimating how much people will be willing to jump on any decent sounding plan when in a hopeless situation.
Amion

That is still something to consider. As far as I'm concerned, these kids are doing something reasonable understandable. It's just that it can't end well. What would make this more believable to me is if they weren't all cheering with joy like they were, grphth..excuse me, liberated.

It's funny how I keep forgetting that you're a Mod. Not to say that's a bad thing though. :)