Avril Lavigne's One Piece Themes

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Avril Lavigne's One Piece Themes

Some weird news for you guys that I found interesting, apparently the use of not one, but two, Avril Lavigne songs as the next One Piece film's theme songs came about after One Piece manga creator Eiichiro Oda sent Lavigne a letter. Lavigne, a well-known Japanophile, had agreed to the offer from the One Piece Film Z's producers to contribute a song.

This is the first time that Lavigne's songs have been used as theme songs for a Japanese film, and the first time that a One Piece film has used songs from an overseas artist. (The television series did use Folder5's "Believe," a cover of Lolita's "Dreamin' of You.") It is also the first time that a One Piece film has had two theme songs of its own.

Lavigne is engaged to Chad Kroeger, the lead singer of Nickelback. While Lavigne had already covered Jett's "Bad Reputation" song before, One Piece Film Z will use a new recording.

One Piece Film Z will open in Japan on December 15. The film will feature "Z" (Zetto), the Straw Hat pirate crew's "strongest enemy yet" who was designed by Oda. Oda also served as the executive producer for the 10th feature film, 2009's One Piece Film Strong World.

Source: Anime News Network

Now I am no One Piece fan, I just found it interesting that this song will be used for an anime movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nBWGQK67R0

But during my angsty tween years I did love to listen to Avril Lavigne, when I really didn't give a damn about my reputation, oh how the times change ;)

So what do you guys think?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amadi Akintunde

Re: Avril Lavigne's One Piece Themes

Linkin Park's The Catalyst was used for Gundam Extreme Versus and was used to pretty good effect.

I don't really take issue with this, although the lyrics somewhat suit the theme of One Piece, it seems like an odd song to use.
Arsarcana

Linkin Park being fairly obvious Gundam fans well before then of course. Check out the music video of Somewhere I Belong, it is not subtle.
Amadi Akintunde

Arsarcana wrote:Linkin Park being fairly obvious Gundam fans well before then of course. Check out the music video of Somewhere I Belong, it is not subtle.
I saw it a while ago, when I saw the news of the Catalyst and the Linkin Park themed GP01. It was pretty neat.
Raptor

I'm not against this, not exactly for it, but as long as the film is Oda-approved I could care less who does theme songs for it. Though I don't expect this to be a Love Lives Space Battleship Yamato moment.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
2NA Fish

Hmmmm. Never heard the song before, but I imagine it will go VERY WELL with that whacky frantic One Piece style.

The Catalyst was rather mediocre in Extreme VS though.