Gyrozetter - Gundam + Transformers = ....?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Silver_August

Gyrozetter - Gundam + Transformers = ....?

Welp! I was curious and saw the first episode of Gyrozetter... and I'm not going to bother remembering the rest of the title because does it really matter?

The first episode ....felt really standard for one of these types of shows and I wasn't expecting much and we didn't get much back, in my opinion at least. Honestly we got so little I can't even fairly say if it sucks yet or not because this really was just a 1st-episode set up riddled with your typical cliches of kid gets the newest, hottest super robot car, saves his assuming love interest who probably will need to be saved many more times in the future, prophecies, some announcer guy..group of shadow-ee power ranger colored figures who are up to no good. Standard stuff honestly so ...I'll give it to episode 4 because that's generally I find when you can gauge a series if its worth watching or not.

As usual for these types of shows, the main character gets the RED robot, which makes me appreciate Gundam a little more since the red suits are generally reserved for the Charcatypes. Though if the finishing move is any indication, then this Robots elemental theme is electricity as opposed to fire? if that's the case I'll give them kudos for that because I swear every time I see an anime where the main character's element is fire...it just feels like its that much closer to being doomed to mediocrity.

All that aside, what do you guys think? I'm sure I'm not the only one likely to pass on this but wondering if anyone else is willing to give it atleast the 4 week trial run or should I say....TEST DRIVE.....sorry.

Though I will say this. if the show fails for ANY reason, it's because of that ending theme, DEAR GOD, say what you will about AGE or Wing of Words.... what was that? Do boys in japan like that stuff? or does it assume they're not watching at that point? I mean REALLY!

OH and one last thing, I know the title suggests I'm saying its Transformers + Gundam, I will say right away that I'm dissappointed they don't even technically transform... its a morphing henshi sequence... but never the less the comparison is undeniable, anyways, thoughts?
Strike Zero

Re: Gyrozetter - Gundam + Transformers = ....?

I don't really agree with your going on about how we have to "give it a chance" -- this show is freaking cool. I am psyched that there are people (tentatively) willing to sub it for the masses.

We've got here a world where every kid owns their own awesome car, and some of those awesome cars can transform into awesome giant robots. On top of that, the kids have to fight an evil organization in crazy car battles and subsequent giant robot rumbles. It's completely absurd, but absurdity is usually what super robot shows are all about. It's certainly more exciting than them trying to do the same thing with spinning bladed tops would be!

As a bonus, the first episode's fight was very fluid and well choreographed, and I realized while watching the ED sequence that they're probably using motion capture in order to animate the robots, which is producing some really nice results. Hopefully they keep that practice up for the whole show and don't cheap out on us down the road (which is probably inevitable, but one can hope!)

I don't have any beef with the ED, btw -- watching the lead robots dance like members of a girl band was amusing, if nothing else. :P

For now, Gyrozetter is definitely a show that I plan to keep up with. I don't expect there to be a lot of deep and meaningful plot that I'll have to rush back here every week to discuss, but I might make a little blurb every time something notable/awesome happens. Be on the look out for that!

Minor aside: the fact that they've got Domon Kasshu playing as an eccentric helicopter reporter/battle commentator amuses me to no end. It's the little things like that that make the experience all worth it.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mythgarr

Looks interesting. I am a sucker for red, transformable machine :)
Visit The Dreams
DuelGundam2099

I'll watch it when translations become more common, I don't want to have to see most of the show in raws. I mean seriously, have you watched a show in nothing but raws? You miss important details and without action scenes it does become quite boring. I would also like to know how many episodes are planned before jumping in.
stagrider

I like it so far. Not great but still pretty good. For the most part you can watch it without subs and still get pretty much everything for now.
I followed this series from when the arcade site was first created so i'm really interested in how they will incorporate different elements from the game and how many of the already posted mechs they will use and how many will be made just for the show.
so ll in all nice show, not too deep, and simply fun.
Silver_August

Yeah... I know I'm probably being overly harsh on it, again its the first episode so I have to atleast give it 4 episodes to see where its going, just based on the first episode I can easily see it not trying to raise the bar...but I'm the guy who willingly watched Bakugan in its entitity because I had to see just HOW bad it got in hopes they may learn...

I mean my favorite color is red and I know why they're using red for the main hero, but its just those little cliches that urk me because red/fire element hero seems like the bottom of the barrel cliche for these kinds of shows... so when the main hero is wind element, blue, or just something to break the mold, I appreciated it, its something I admittingly liked about beyblade where the rival got the fire element instead.

Though a good point was brought up about the motion capture being used, this could mean for some good fight scenes in the future so yah, I look forward to that. The entire time it made me wonder if Gundam will ever go in this direction, with Unicorn already using 3D models sometimes for the mecha, or at least the Unicorns, though personally I'll always perfer traditional animation because... I watched this mix and match attempted before with Transformers Super Link and Galaxy Force annnnd those got REALLY bad by the end of their runs

but yah, I'll keep watching, see what we have on our hands, it's only fair considering i went into AGE blind, and I will give them this, the car chace scene going up the parking lot thing was impressivly intense feeling with the other cars down right attempting to ram the kid...teen? how old are the kids in this show?

OH and I appreciated that the fat friend isn't a slob or like...oddly proportion, hes legitimacy a big boned guy, so kudos there, and is it just me or does the other mechanic remind anyone else of Mario?

OH OH OH! and speaking of character designs, I love how we got a guy who reminds me of the Doc from Back to the Future, fitting considering we got super awesome cars that will probably be able to time travel at some point
Destiny_Gundam

Strike Zero wrote:Minor aside: the fact that they've got Domon Kasshu playing as an eccentric helicopter reporter/battle commentator amuses me to no end. It's the little things like that that make the experience all worth it.
His name is Seki too.

Anyways, pretty typical kid's show opener. They did throw a lot at us, though, such as off handed character relations ("My sister?!"), and shadowy bad guys. Still, wasn't bad and it'll be nice when they expand upon these things in future episodes.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Ryujin

Asides from having the same director as Might Gaine, Da Garn & other Brave shows, I was rather surprised at all the mecha designer heavyweights listed as staff for this show. Ishigaki, Ebikawa and Kawamori?!?

Also, that Pretty Cure-style CGI dancing ED. :lol:
Vent Noir

As Kakeru might say, that was depressingly fun!

At the moment, the show's in "guilty pleasure" territory for me. A lot of the elements are things that I should, by all rights, dislike, but I found myself enjoying regardless.

And dancing robots in the ED! :lol: Don't think I've seen that since, uh, Overman King Gainer.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Silver_August

man am i the only person here who hates the ending in terms of both song and sheer WTF am I watching? though go figure bigger mecha cans can recognize the names involved in this series that might just give it more credit thenI initally thought it was worth...now if only we had HG models of Raibird or whatever its official name is.
Destiny_Gundam

I don't really care about the ending either way.
Amion

Mythgarr wrote:Looks interesting. I am a sucker for red, transformable machine :)

Oh, the Raibird just became one of my favorite mecha, I'm a sucker for it too, Mythgarr.

That thing...just...inner ten-year-old impulse...must praise it. Oh I'm so depressed by its awesomeness. Tell me, am I the only one who thinks it's head looks remarkably similar to the one of Setsuna's machines, perhaps the 00 QuanT? It just seems familiar like that, only with awesome beam wings.

Still not too sure about the idea of transforming cars though, I grew out of transformers a while back, but the OP has some interesting stuff.

Oh, and the professor was hilarious during the first ep as he explained the transformation sequence. :mrgreen:

Just saw the ed :shock: . I....I'm speechless. *munches on a piece of celery for emphasis*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Silver_August

to be fair as i said, they don't really....transformer, which is funny to think that a car mecha has a sailor moon style transformation sequence. Though yeah...the Raibird is cool looking..and the head is definitely what made me want to take a look cuz yah it does have a weird...00 vibe going on, and i do like our mad doc professor.

You know, I think I'm just ruined by watching so many other shows like this...Bakugan, beyblade, all hitting the fan FAST and just getting soooo trivial..so deluded that I'm just being more harsh on this show then I should be...but I'm going to keep watching because its not like we have another gundam show to fill the void of mecha action, lol

still waiting for a 1/144th model of this to come out..not that kibbletastic shell-former ive seen on Hobbylink
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Strike Zero wrote:Minor aside: the fact that they've got Domon Kasshu playing as an eccentric helicopter reporter/battle commentator amuses me to no end. It's the little things like that that make the experience all worth it.
His name is Seki too.
Sorry Domon, you were not the character that gives you voice was born to play, This reporter guy is.
Ryujin wrote:Asides from having the same director as Might Gaine, Da Garn & other Brave shows, I was rather surprised at all the mecha designer heavyweights listed as staff for this show. Ishigaki, Ebikawa and Kawamori?!?
It shows too with the setting itself having a Brave-like feel to me. Though I do have one complaint. With all those names, couldn't they have come up with a traditional transformation sequence instead of having the car break into 1000 pieces then reform as the robot? Or are the designs so far off from each other that it would be impossible?
Vent Noir wrote:As Kakeru might say, that was depressingly fun!

At the moment, the show's in "guilty pleasure" territory for me. A lot of the elements are things that I should, by all rights, dislike, but I found myself enjoying regardless.
If it delivers on what is promised so far, then I don't forsee any problems at all, and it will be far from a guilty pleasure. Jury's still out on the villains as we have yet to really see much of them beyond the one guy and his squad of 1:1 RC transforming cars.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Ryujin

Wingnut wrote:
Ryujin wrote:Asides from having the same director as Might Gaine, Da Garn & other Brave shows, I was rather surprised at all the mecha designer heavyweights listed as staff for this show. Ishigaki, Ebikawa and Kawamori?!?
It shows too with the setting itself having a Brave-like feel to me. Though I do have one complaint. With all those names, couldn't they have come up with a traditional transformation sequence instead of having the car break into 1000 pieces then reform as the robot? Or are the designs so far off from each other that it would be impossible?
Yeah; it was also disturbing how the robot forms clearly had a whole lot more mass & volume than the car forms. But hey, weapons out of thin air, Clarke's axiom & all that.

I haven't seen the 2nd episode yet but, regarding the transformation sequences, there may have been scheduling & production difficulties since the promotional trailer released last year showed a more traditional, yet incomplete, transformation sequence for Raibird.
Silver_August

Wel! Saw episode 2, not a lot new happened but I have a few things that I need to say...

1. Prius Hybrid Laser Cannon.... that just makes me giggle....

2. Someone needs to start an Ass and Boob counter for this show because if this keeps up, I think we're in for a lot of confusing fanservice!

and finally 3. I can't help but find it weird yet amusing that our hero isn't afraid to stare them slices of cleavage and basically hit on whatshername, how old is he again? and who's this show targeted to again?
Destiny_Gundam

Kids can get away with doing perverted things because it's considered cute.
2NA Fish

Loving the series. Great pace, likeable characters, nice mech designs, lots of fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. The ending of episode 4 completely took me by surprise. Was nice to see some humour on the villain side too.

The one downer is that the cars don't have proper transformation sequences. Had a look at some of the toys and it does seem that transforming gimmicks hadn't been completely thought out for the designs.
Wingnut

Episodes 3 and 4 have been subbed, and that's all I can say about it before I get in trouble.

Episode 4 has the race queens in it as well as introing the 3rd pilot so for those waiting for that, wait no more.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
stagrider

Anyone else watching the raws?