Create the next Gundam TV Series

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Xenosynth

Re: Create the next Gundam TV Series

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
and for someone who says the best anime franchise is one where the robot is powered by orgasms I am a bit surprised.
Aquarion is powered by an extremely powerful solar panel designed to pollinate an extremely powerful and ancient mystical tree, not the stimulation side effects it gives off to its pilots when searching for abilities in which to amalgamate and use for combat.
Yes but would you say that the stimulation while the pilots are practically shown nude is really necessary? Was it necessary to the action or combat or plot? Could they have handled it in better non-fanservicey ways?
DuelGundam2099

Yes but would you say that the stimulation while the pilots are practically shown nude is really necessary?
Considering the art style this series goes for and the mythological feel and atmosphere this is one of those very rare appropriate occasions.
Was it necessary to the action or combat or plot?
Did you not watch this series? Because it makes up a good chunk of the story and combat.
Could they have handled it in better non-fanservicey ways?
It did not feel fan servicy outside of a few shower scenes. :?
Chris
Administrator

Guys, this thread is supposed to be about creating a Gundam series, not debating Duel's fanservice preferences. Get back on topic.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Rob DS Zeta

I think Gundam needs to get back to basics. We need an emotionally maladjusted teen, preferably somewhere around ages 15-17, jacking a white and blue humanoid mecha and joining the resistance. They experience love, loss, conspiracy, a rivalry with a blond rival (mask optional), and a severe case of slap-to-the-face. Then the world gets saved, they go home, and everybody lives happily never after.

Oh, and by 'an emotionally maladjusted teen, preferably somewhere around ages 15-17', I mean a girl with blue hair. Nudge, nudge, Tomino! It's not 1985 anymore. I think you can get away with it!

Going outside of the Earth Sphere sounds nice. ShadowCell wrote some stuff about Mars, so some big battles on Martian soil would be awesome. Maybe even see Jupiter.

Mecha design... can we get Katoki onboard? This new stuff looked good when 00 started, but it just got lazy in AGE. Boxy and jaggedly round are not the new sleek and sharp. I don't have a problem with it, but the AGE III looked like something taller had collapsed in on itself. I don't care if they rip off Wing, F91, AND Turn A! I just want to see a mecha with some character that doesn't shout "I'm flamboyant!" If it does have to shout that, though, it could at least be in a "That's so cool!" way (i.e. Wing Zero Custom), not a "WTF is that?" way (i.e. AGE FX).

Antagonists? Would it kill the writers to make the primary antag NOT the crazy politician? I'd like to see a Scirocco-esque character. A pilot at heart, but not crazy like Rau. Maybe a woman? Haman + Scirocco = Scirman? Hamocco? Scirocco Mole? What? Nevermind.

Plot lines? Just do it right and we will follow! As the good Bald Wizard himself stated in his reviews, Age's plot made about as much sense as an iron cheeseburger (or at least it did up until I stopped watching with just 8 or so episodes to go), creating probably the biggest downturn for a series since Team Kira hijacked Destiny. I don't care Sunrise has to go down to the local newspaper and kidnap an editor, make sure that someone looks over the script beforehand so that plot points can be preserved!

Just one fan's opinion...
*insert witty eyecatch here*
Kei Katsuragi

Tomino doesn't make any Gundam series anymore, and besides, I think having a female Gundam pilot in the 80's when Gundam was still in its infantcy would've had a better chance than now when Sunrise knows what works and what doesn't and wouldn't make a huge risk like that.
ShadowCell

it is a testament to how many of these friggin' Gundam wishlist threads we have that i am just quoting myself now but re: female protagonist...
plus there's the question of what exactly would be different if you made these changes like "female protagonist" or whatever. i've been kicking around the idea of expanding the typical Gundam map to include the rest of the solar system, but to be honest, nothing important really seems to change--which leaves me to wonder what the point of doing it is.

i mean, consider how the likes of SEED and 00 and AGE have handled its female characters. they've run the gamut from Cagalli Yula "Crying Game" Athha to Lunamaria "You Killed My Sister, Ravish Me, You Sexy Beast" Hawke to Soma "MarieMarieMarieMarieMarieMarieMarie" Peries to Nena "Fandom Whiplash" Trinity to Feldt "Emergency Girlfriend" Grace to pretty much the entire female cast of AGE, for which i can't think of any snappy sobriquets because they don't do anything. how much confidence does that inspire?

even the vaunted Unicorn isn't totally free from this; there's characters whose existence continues to defy reason (that would be you, Micott, unless you can prove to me that you really are the most genre-savvy Gundam female to ever exist), and there's all the rest, whose power and effectiveness comes with some kind of price (Mineva might run around dragging Banagher through the plot after her, but ultimately she winds up being his damsel in distress, and see if they ever give her a robot, the real symbol of power and change in Gundam; and then there's Marida, who does get her own robot, but only as long as she's a broken mess of issues with a tortured past, constantly dancing on the strings for her masters).

is that the sort of thing you want to see in a female protagonist? 'cuz in all likelihood, that's what you'll get.

so, moving into the realm of the less likely, if you don't make your Gundam show protagonist a female just to inspire more hentai doujin and creepy fans, you could make her female specifically to explore how the typical Gundam themes of war and human enhancement and whatnot impact women. that would take a lot of deft and nuanced writing about gender roles and psychology that i doubt Gundam writers could pull off. either way, do people really tune in to Gundam shows to see deft and nuanced writing about gender roles and psychology? no matter how well she's written, would the viewers actually identify with a female protagonist enough to appreciate all that deft and nuanced writing about gender roles and psychology? i kind of doubt it. and so the show tanks and the next one Sunrise produces is yet another foray into the One Year War.

or you could specifically set out to shatter some stereotypes and do some empowering, and make a show that specifically tackles sexism and misogyny head-on. is such a controversial series likely to happen in the context of Bandai's biggest cash cow? this would also be taking place in the same market that demands hordes of submissive little moe girls; is that a headwind some feminist revision Gundam show can actually pierce? besides which, i can already hear the angry misogynists on both sides of the Pacific freaking out at a Gundam show that "pushes feminist crap down our throats." and so the show tanks and the next one Sunrise produces is yet another foray into the One Year War.

so we're back to the original question: what exactly changes with a female protagonist?
those problems are amplified by the point that Gundam's audience is probably not the kind that would really be open to a female protagonist that acts like an actual character with a personality and motivations and development and not like an anthropomorphized body pillow.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Yeah, If we're going to talk about what the next Gundam series is going to be like, let's be just a tad realistic. The much sought after True Female Protagonist isn't going to happen for another 10-15, maybe even 20 years, if at all. And even if it did happen in the next two years or so, who here honestly thinks that that character will be anything other than either an ultra-cute, fetishistic moe loli or a hyper-sexualized fanservice vehicle with boobs the size of basketballs?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

Things about going back to basic is, modern Japaneses are very distance to war. While Tomino & co didn't join the war, their childhood lives were in period that WWII is still rather fresh. The vetaran are here and there, the teachers still talk about it with passion, economy still suffer from it, blah blah blah. So when they talk about "war is hell" and "confusing teenage soldiers drafted in army", they have quite good idea what they're talking, and that reflect in their work. The same thing can't be said for the modern Japaneses. They don't actively ignore it like modern German do, but they don't really care either. And thus, the war become much more romanized, idealized and has tons of conspiracy.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:And even if it did happen in the next two years or so, who here honestly thinks that that character will be anything other than either an ultra-cute, fetishistic moe loli...
I actually wish for that :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Kuruni wrote: I actually wish for that :mrgreen: .
Ok, go find 250,000 more pedobears so Banrise can make a profit off of you. :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

I don't have to. Do you remember that THE iDOLM@STER is also from Banrise? :mrgreen:

Not everyone in the fandom is "enlighted", but portion of them surely are :P . And Bandai have that data.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Rob DS Zeta

Kei Katsuragi wrote:Tomino doesn't make any Gundam series anymore, and besides, I think having a female Gundam pilot in the 80's when Gundam was still in its infancy would've had a better chance than now when Sunrise knows what works and what doesn't and wouldn't make a huge risk like that.
Ya don't say.

I was hoping that people would look at my post more for the statements on mecha design and plot rather than the female protag bit. I mean, there's more to a series than its main character. SEED and Destiny would be practically unwatchable if it was just Kira and Shinn whining about their life issues and moral standpoints... at least, more so than do already.
*insert witty eyecatch here*
Scorpius7692

Throwing in my two cents, for the next Gundam series I honestly wouldn't mind another look into the Universal Century, but set shortly after the First Neo-Zeon War, with the antagonists being a group similar to the New Desides, only even more militant against Spacenoids. Neo-Zeon Remnants could show up if they felt like it, and the series could throw in Newtypes. It could become a plot point that one of the villains discovers that he might be a Newtype.

Although, I don't have any clue what the Gundam would be, or who would pilot it. Maybe it could be the ZZZ Gundam, which transforms into a space jet, a space tank, a space battleship, and a mobile suit, with mega particle cannons for eyes. In all seriousness, though, the series could use Zeta Pluses, or introduce a ZZ Plus, or something. Have another team of Gundam-type suits facing against the odds.

On another note, and I know I'm going to get flak for this, I honestly wouldn't mind another One Year War OVA. While it may be overflowing with mobile units, a good majority of those haven't been animated, and the OVA doesn't even have to use any of them. The story could follow the Gundam G-3, a different Pegasus-class ship, or even throw in a different Gundam-type suit (The Full Armor Gundam Type-B was actually built and used, it just didn't last long).

In any case, thats my two cents.
Fear the power of the skirted suit. Fear it.
monster

If they made a new UC series, two things I would like to see:

1. An alternate UC where the idea of Neo-Zeon is gone and Zeon simply rebuild itself like Germany rebuilt itself after the first World War.

and/or

2. A non-Newtype lead character (preferably mid to older teen) fighting against one or more powerful Newtype antagonists.
Raptor

You know, we talk about male or female, and the differences, or lack thereof it would cause(Nice post BTW, Shadow), but you know what we haven't had in Gundam?

An Alien main character. And I'm ignoring Delta Astray, because even though he was an alien, technically, that was mostly forgotten as the story progresses. Now, I'm not asking for a half-Human, like Eiji Asuka from Layzner, or a human who was raised with the aliens like Samus Aran, Or even a human who lived in space for a long time and can look just like the aliens, like D-Boy from Tekkaman. No, I think a legit alien would make a really cool main Gundam pilot, and would be a fairly interesting plot.

In all honesty, do I see it happening? No. But hey, would be awesome. And new. Though people would be terribly butthurt about it, Ala Awakening of the Trailblazer.
"An Alien, in Gundam? This isn't Macross!"

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
DuelGundam2099

It could work, although I'd rather have none of the cast as humans. What would be awesome is if the gundam was piloted by ancient magicians used to fight alien mutants with interdimensional cyborgs in place of mobile suits. It would be 80s as hell, but awesome as hell if done correctly. 8)
NastyNate

Next Gundam series: My perfect one would be an end times Thriller like left behind based on the book of revelations. Where in the soon future there are mechs and gundams.

Another pick would be a show set in the G gundam universe years later or the Gundam X universe where the Mars colony come.

Or a UC series set on Jupiter!
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Amion

A series set on Jupiter would be nice. But I'm starting to agree with Duel, maybe we should abandon those irritating humans go for the alien theme. Did I just say that? :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
feddieace42and0

Since we are talking space travel, perhaps we could actually move out of the solar system and be trying to spread across the universe, perhaps actually creating a whole Dyson Sphere type planet that would be trying to free itself from Earth. We've had manufactured space colonies, why not go for the gusto and make an inside out planet?
DuelGundam2099

I am curious how gravity would play out in that scenario.
Mythgarr

I thought Dyson Sphere is when you engulf the entire solar system with a sphere?
Visit The Dreams