The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-8

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Strike Zero

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-8

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Let's hope it won't be like that in the anime...
Oh, it's going to happen, alright. Several other things that people have spoiled from the game have already come true, so there's no reason to think that the part involving
Spoiler
Space Yamada's ghost
won't come true as well.

Which, when it does, will be hilarious. :)
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
DeganUAB

In a way it would make sense...
Spoiler
Her death is what has really driven his hatred through the years, and maybe she could bring him back from the edge
still...
Now is the time for mankind to stand up for the future.
Destiny_Gundam

Something's been bugging me about Flit's portrayal. As a kid he went all rage mode on Decil, but didn't kill him. In Gen 2 he was able to put his hate of Decil aside and flat out ignore the guy. But now he's obsessed with killing all the Vagans.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
HalfDemonInuyasha

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Something's been bugging me about Flit's portrayal. As a kid he went all rage mode on Decil, but didn't kill him. In Gen 2 he was able to put his hate of Decil aside and flat out ignore the guy. But now he's obsessed with killing all the Vagans.
I feel it's more about the portrayal of Desil and others more so than Flit. I mean, they bring back him and the son of the guy killed at the end of the first arc...and go nowhere with them...same as how they go with Woolf and Grodek...and they go and get killed too...it's weird, yeah.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
DeganUAB

I think it was the additional deaths of Grodec and Woolf. By the end of the second arc he's pretty adament in his rhetoric to defeat all the vagan. Then you have to factor in destruction of big ring and the wholesale slaughter of Olivernotes. He's seen a lot.
Kei Katsuragi

I think things just keep piling up, and since his grandson is coming back sympathizing with those scum sucking Vagans and his own son left to sabotage the Federation, he sort of felt like he is losing MORE people to the Vagans.
DeganUAB

Yeah...spending 50 years trying to win a war has to take its toll.
GX9900-Gundam-X

Xenosynth wrote:This is sort of random, but during the AGE-FX vs Xamdrag fight, when Kio punched the Xamdrag in the stomach and lifted it in the air, and all that light was coming out of it, did anyone else randomly imagine Kio yelling 'Heat End' and the Xamdrag exploding? I know I wanted that to happen.
Yes but I also head him yelling in the back of my head to "TAKE MY LOVE MY ANGER AND ALL OF MY SORRY BURSTING FINGER HEAT END!!
It would have worked so well in my eyes
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
zerogradius

DeganUAB wrote:In a way it would make sense...
Spoiler
Her death is what has really driven his hatred through the years, and maybe she could bring him back from the edge
still...
It would be weird that she has more influence over him than his wife, son or grandson. It would also mean that X-Rounders have the newtype ability to talk to the dead, which has not been explored before.
Kei Katsuragi

Even as an AGE defender, that solution feels not only lazy, but incredibly stupid. I mean, Newtypes could do it, but X-Rounders =/= Newtypes. It's not like it's out of place in Gundam, but out of place in AGE. I don't think I can defend that aspect...

*Sigh*

What would Kircheis do?
GX9900-Gundam-X

The ending is shaping up to be a weird one possibly good possibly bad but almost certainly weird so in a situation like this like Kei I must ask myself what what X do so......
Edit
What would Dart Feldt do?
Last edited by GX9900-Gundam-X on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kei Katsuragi

*Feldt

And how in anyway did you guess I was a Legend of the Dragoon fan? Or was that just luck?
GX9900-Gundam-X

It was my first game saved me from suicide and quite frankly when ever I have problems I ask What would Dart Meru or Haschel do also I can sense another Dragoon fan by 1/1000 glade to see my guess was spot on!
Kei Katsuragi

We can discuss Legend of the Dragoon over at the games forum (before any of the mods tell us). Back on track with AGE...
GX9900-Gundam-X

Right but I did find Dart's relevent answer to what he would do and simply put He would push on stick to his guns and save the day the way he saw fit because of this I am going to put my faith in Kio and his pacifist style because a true hero no matter how foolish should stick to their ideals unless it puts someone else in danger and as long as he is not supporting them directly Kios remaining allies should be able to take care of themselves so Kio asuno GO FOR IT!
Off topic
ALSO KEI AND ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED LEGEND OF DRAGOON DISCUSSION FORUM WE HAVE TO MAKE IT
Outlaw

Kei Katsuragi wrote:Even as an AGE defender, that solution feels not only lazy, but incredibly stupid. I mean, Newtypes could do it, but X-Rounders =/= Newtypes. It's not like it's out of place in Gundam, but out of place in AGE. I don't think I can defend that aspect...
Largely because it comes screaming out of left field. Had they shown or even alluded to it before it would be fine. Gerard would have been a great character to set this up with and may have actually given the character at least some point.

You know, I had a weird feeling that this show might actually turn out better if it gets the movie trilogy treatment. Cutting out all the superfluous characters and arcs could lend it a lot more focus, not to mention the opportunity to go back and edit, revise, and add new scenes.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Kei Katsuragi

Kei Katsuragi wrote:Do you think a Gundam AGE special edition would be really good? Get rid of all the useless stuff and and focus on the important junk? Movie 1 would be Flit, Movie 2 would be Asemu, and the last movie(s) would be Kio. I imagine that would be a much more definitive version of this story, honestly.
Outlaw wrote:You know, I had a weird feeling that this show might actually turn out better if it gets the movie trilogy treatment. Cutting out all the superfluous characters and arcs could lend it a lot more focus, not to mention the opportunity to go back and edit, revise, and add new scenes.
Same wave lengths here, Outlaw 8)
Kaioshin Sama

Outlaw wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
This Gundam series has been a disappointment, and a joy to complain about.
and that pretty much sums up the soul of the western Gundam fandom
Uh, not to sidetrack or anything but replace the phrase "Gundam series" with a fill in your own blank and you've pretty much summed up the soul of the internet. :P
Yep, it's something I can't help but comment on and notice a lot lately. For me I started noticing it during Gundam 00 when I'd watch an episode and think, "okay surely people will find this enjoyable and I'll go have a nice fun discussion on the usual forums" only to look on in horror as people would through what must have been a good bit of detective work find one incidental flaw or what could possibly be construed as a flaw amidst what I felt were pretty tight episodes and nitpick the ever loving crap out of it for an entire week while ignoring all other positive factors.

I used to think it was just an inexplicable heavy deep seated hatred for Gundam and Sunrise following Seed Destiny, but nope, really it's just raging fandoms and it's become far more common place since. Sci-Fi fans are definitely the worst for this, but admittedly the genre, at least on TV, is really struggling of late with entries from pretty much every major mecha story developer (Sunrise, BONES, I.G, Satelight) failing to live up to even modest standards and expectations. Though I still think for it's narrative incongruities AGE is the closest to a decent space opera style mecha TV series I've seen since Gundam 00.

I really wish TV mecha anime would try to go more back to it's roots though instead of seemingly going further and further down this route of trying to merge with the newer trends of the anime industry like pandering to moe/idol/shipping fans and I think the success of Gundam Unicorn, even if it's an OVA, should be sending the message that fans will bite on that particular traditional tone and more mature focus more than say Gundam AGE or Eureka Seven Ao. If somebody would at least damn well try while this fanbase is somewhat willing and has at least a few people that aren't completely jaded and cynical left...even if it fails to pan out it can't hurt and I just want to see somebody try again to at least put this theory to the test because I can't say I've seen an attempt at either a classic style gar super robot show or Space Opera since that glorious season of 00, Code Geass and Gurren Lagann. I honestly can only name one mecha TV series since 2007 that doesn't feel like it's actually being targeted at moe otaku and kids with the mecha more as a smokescreen to try to lure the mecha fandom in for a little while to boost ratings before they figure out it's a sham. That would of couse be Shin Mazinger - Chapter of Z in 2009.

As for the fandom side of the issue, the way I see it there's only a few ways around this and none of them really have anything to do with the quality of the show. One is to build pre-airing hype by either picking popular directors/actors/writers/source material and having a clever advertising campaign. From what I've been able to tell with shows like Sword Art Online and I dunno, Monogatari I guess this sort of thing leads to people being MUCH more forgiving and prone to if not positive thought at least a tendency not to nitpick the every loving crap out of every issue that crops up big or small. AGE had none of these. From what I can tell Akihiro Hino was utterly reviled in Japan long before AGE was ever announced and the advertising campaign was spoiled by leaked pictures of character scans which led to mass speculation and dismissal of the premise before it was even formally announced.

Another is to spark a meme in the community to distract them from their innate tendency to bitch and complain. Gundam AGE sort of managed this a little during the second arc with things like Arisa's butt slap and the whole disregard women thing, but by the time it hit the 3rd arc there really wasn't much of anything like this and of course we have the whole Vagan sympathy issue plaguing the narrative. The last one would be just to throw as much blood, gore and sex at the camera as possible or as I like to call it the Go Nagai theory of mecha anime production since nobody ever seems to have a problem with that sort of thing. :lol:

Anyway sorry for the meta-talk again, but it's something I've been turning over in my head again and again, the issue of what's to be done with TV mecha anime since it's stock is clearly falling of late. It's not just Gundam (I still think Gundam is one of the best off at the moment) but mecha TV series in general that are in this rut right now and I think it's as much an issue of creativity as it is production teams just being completely unsure of how to appeal to a fanbase that looks to be so cynical and difficult to please and frankly not even sure of what it wants and what would qualify as a "good" show other than something with moar grimdark, which I don't think can be done on TV anymore the way it was in the 80's and 90's. I mean even now I can totally see why Sunrise wanted to try to aim Gundam at a different audience this time and it's a shame it didn't work out cause Gundam either needs to return to it's roots (Unicorn) or needs a fresh start with newer fans that are at least still willing to give it a chance.

I still think TV mecha anime can pull itself out of this rut it's in but a lot of factors on both the fandom and production side of the fence need to come together in order for it to happen and I simply cannot see it happening this current generation the way things are going with the cynicism in the fandom and producers having their heads up their asses as to how to make mecha anime appealing again in it's own right. Without a doubt the Gundam AGE route is not an answer though and I'm glad they tried and failed so that hopefully everyone will at least see that and the lesson will hopefully be learned going forward.

tl;dr for folks: TV mecha anime needs to get serious again on the production side and mecha anime fans need to get serious about trying to enjoy it and conveying to producers what they want out of it instead of sending mixed messages by just bitching no matter what.
Outlaw wrote:
Kei Katsuragi wrote:
You know, I had a weird feeling that this show might actually turn out better if it gets the movie trilogy treatment. Cutting out all the superfluous characters and arcs could lend it a lot more focus, not to mention the opportunity to go back and edit, revise, and add new scenes.
At this point I would wholeheartedly agree if based on nothing else than recent personal experience that any and all sci-fi/mecha related productions would turn out better as a movie or OVA series than as a TV series. I simply cannot stress enough how I think the TV format seems to be the factor that's tripping everything up right now. The difference in quality between Movie/OVA sci-fi series and their TV contemporaries is staggering right now, mind-blowing even. :shock:
Compass

This show has had its ups and downs for me, but I'm having a hard time explaining the issues I've had with the pacing. It just feels so weird. They could have spent a full 26 episodes on each segment, and even then, it would probably have felt kind of oddly paced. We never got consistently developed characters because they phased in and out of existence sometimes.

Millais-kancho?
Ohai Grodek you're back. Obai Grodek RIP.

The issue is that it continues to get compounded. Look at the characters in 00. Most of them, even the ones that die, last a fair number of episodes. In ours, you might as well start placing bets on which person will die out of the blue, and for what reason. Abis' death was good.

Derek's death... wha... why? Huh?

I wasn't posting here AFAIK for Gundam 00, but I enjoyed that as a whole. Comparably to this, which seems to transition between awesome action scenes and awkward development.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Kaioshin Sama

Compass wrote:This show has had its ups and downs for me, but I'm having a hard time explaining the issues I've had with the pacing. It just feels so weird. They could have spent a full 26 episodes on each segment, and even then, it would probably have felt kind of oddly paced. We never got consistently developed characters because they phased in and out of existence sometimes.

Millais-kancho?
Ohai Grodek you're back. Obai Grodek RIP.

The issue is that it continues to get compounded. Look at the characters in 00. Most of them, even the ones that die, last a fair number of episodes. In ours, you might as well start placing bets on which person will die out of the blue, and for what reason. Abis' death was good.

Derek's death... wha... why? Huh?

I wasn't posting here AFAIK for Gundam 00, but I enjoyed that as a whole. Comparably to this, which seems to transition between awesome action scenes and awkward development.
The discussion for Gundam 00 here was pretty great that I recall even if I was mostly lurking at time, everywhere else though, you'd be amazed just how much people railed against it. The general consensus in my other haunts seems to be that the last good TV series was Turn A Gundam which coincidentally or perhaps not also happens to be the last Gundam TV series to air before the internet really took off and subtitled Gundam episodes became readily available. Hmmm.....