Accel World

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Compass

Accel World

I watched this after hearing about it, caught up to Ep. 21 already.

I have a hard time describing why I like it. I don't know if it's because I could theoretically relate moreso to the main character (no, I am not round and 3 feet tall, but I guess I could sort of feel that way at times) but I really... can't explain what drives me to continue watching it.

Anyone else have thoughts about this? It just seems so hard to describe and sell, but works so well in the end.

Aside from all the intonations about how wired links are taboo, I have no idea what to even say, because apparently the main character is arguably the ultimate player at this point x_x
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Accel World

I'll just repost what I said in the SAO thread...

I did get hooked on the manga for Accel World at first, but I never really started the anime because after thinking back on it I was bothered by something... While I think it's neat that Haru is short and fat (although cute in a small animal sort of way), as a result I totally can't buy his romance with Ms no-name. I mean, she fell in love with him before his character development when he was all whiney and mopey. Coupled with his looks there's no freakin' way a 14 year old girl would fall for him. Even my belief isn't suspended enough for that. In the first place I'm not a fan of the girl being the older one in the relationship, though it seems this author loves that.

Kirito and Asuna, on the other hand, is a hell of a lot better. They are more or less equals and their relationship seems to be growing at a steady rate, as opposed to Haru getting love struck because a girl was nice to him. SAO kicks Accel World's ass in that regard.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Compass

I agree that the romance seems so unlikely. But I have a hard time empathizing with the character otherwise. To compare, the closest character this would resemble is actually Eyeshield 21. Bullied, short, albeit skinny.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
quasadra

on the other hand, i find it to be not too unreasonable. although it is not very obvious in this early stage of the story, it is implied that she spent vast amount of time in Brain Burst until it became a more of a reality for her in the past. so the quality she see in haru is probably not just a fat and short pig, instead she also see his potential as a burst linker. adding in haru does seems to be able to get her out of the sticky situation she is in. haru opens up some new possibility which is quite a big deal for her.

i think why we keep watching is because it is an wish fulfillment story done right. an underdog's rise to fame and glory. the part where haru talk taku to be his friend again is the part that sold me on this series. and also Sunrise is actually doing a mighty fine job in adapting this.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC