Sword Art Online

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:18 am

Don't get me wrong, I like Asuna just fine. But I find her pretty uninteresting. I'll even skip over doujinshi starring her.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."

Arbiter GUNDAM

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:24 pm

So now that I'm going through the Aincrad arc again, one thing that has struck me as a real lost opportunity is the crusade against Laughing Coffin and the player-killers. They start building up PK in several episodes and then it feels like it goes nowhere.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

Zeonista

Post by Zeonista » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:So now that I'm going through the Aincrad arc again, one thing that has struck me as a real lost opportunity is the crusade against Laughing Coffin and the player-killers. They start building up PK in several episodes and then it feels like it goes nowhere.
That is going to be the end result of the story, most likely. The ex-Laughing Coffin members get revealed by Kirito's action and then get exposed when the authorities bust their psycho scheme. Media scandal, perp walk, and Kirito is a big damn hero again.

Destiny_Gundam: Dare to swim against the tide of popularity! :D
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:14 pm

We finally got confirmation that Calibur and Mother's Rosario are next. I'm not surprised at all.

So Phantom Bullet is over. I did enjoy it and I like Sinon, but it still doesn't top Fairy Dance.

Compass

Post by Compass » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Yes, Calibur! I loved that one!
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex

Arbiter GUNDAM

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Not surprised at all, Rosario and Caliber are short enough that they could be wrapped up in 10 or 11 episodes, maybe 12. Yeah, six episodes each would probably be enough.

--Freyja Wion

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:23 pm

It's going to be 3 episodes for Calibur, 7 episodes for Mother's Rosario.

Arbiter GUNDAM

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:43 am

Only 3? Damn, but that's kinda short.

--Freyja Wion

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:59 am

Not like the story is particularly lengthy.

Compass

Post by Compass » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Calibur is a really short story compared to Phantom Pain. I forget how exactly it was published. They'll probably have to devote a bit of time to backstory for Calibur, since they cut out all of that from the ALO arc. That, or make up some magic.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School

PowerdGNFlag

Post by PowerdGNFlag » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 am

Compass wrote:Calibur is a really short story compared to Phantom Pain. I forget how exactly it was published. They'll probably have to devote a bit of time to backstory for Calibur, since they cut out all of that from the ALO arc. That, or make up some magic.
Calibur was published as "Early and Late" (IIRC the volume immediately before Alicization), a "double-bill" with the SAO "murder" story they already adapted early in the first series.

I reckoned that when they skipped the setup for this story during the ALO arc that they will put it right before they adapted this story, because putting it back there would have been an unnecessary distraction from the main story (not to mention a "waste" of two or three episodes which could have been used for the former.)
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...

Deathzealot

Post by Deathzealot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:20 am

Sorry for Nerco.

Well Calibur is now over but it looks we are not jumping into Mother Roserio due to the title of the next episode. Looks like Kirito and Asuna are getting their Cabin back in New Aincrad. But I think we are going to get the bit where Asunas mother is introduced and being a harpy or something like that therefore Asuna drags her into Alfheimn to show her the cabin which reminds her of the place she grew up.

Compass

Post by Compass » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 pm

Deathzealot wrote:Sorry for Nerco.

Well Calibur is now over but it looks we are not jumping into Mother Roserio due to the title of the next episode. Looks like Kirito and Asuna are getting their Cabin back in New Aincrad. But I think we are going to get the bit where Asunas mother is introduced and being a harpy or something like that therefore Asuna drags her into Alfheimn to show her the cabin which reminds her of the place she grew up.
I remember that short story. It's really good at developing Asuna's character and should solve the one-dimensionalness Asuna has had all season.

Deathzealot

Post by Deathzealot » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Apparently its at the ending of Mother Rosario or something like that from what I read.

Compass

Post by Compass » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Actually, it's the start to Mother's Rosario! I remember now, how the story was arranged. The first part, this episode, recaps the discovery of the cabin. The second portion we've discussed will occur later.

Deathzealot

Post by Deathzealot » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Yeah. I laughed that Asuna is assuming that this Invisible blade is male. That said an interesting episode, with a modified opening from Caliber. Though the ending is different and is quite sad especially to those of us either have read the novels or those who have read spoilers about this character featured in the ending.

Compass

Post by Compass » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:35 pm

How convenient that they neglected to mention a gender.

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Unlike english, japanese has gender neutral pronouns.

And yeah, I was amused by Asuna hearing "strong player" and assuming male. But that is how human brains are wired. Close your eyes and picture "some one tough" and a male face will probably appear in your mind, just like a female would appear if you pictured "some one caring." Societal beliefs create mental short cuts like that.

Compass

Post by Compass » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:06 am

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Unlike english, japanese has gender neutral pronouns.

And yeah, I was amused by Asuna hearing "strong player" and assuming male. But that is how human brains are wired. Close your eyes and picture "some one tough" and a male face will probably appear in your mind, just like a female would appear if you pictured "some one caring." Societal beliefs create mental short cuts like that.
Even so, it'd be pretty easy to mask it in English, by referring to her title the entire time.

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:28 am

Not really. It still looks suspicious and it does get silly were you to try and say "Zekken is really strong and Zekken is offering an original skill as a reward."