Sword Art Online

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Sword Art Online

Compass wrote:You mean the same people who are calling "excessive fan service" for the teleporter incident that DEFINITELY HAPPENED in the light novel?
Dunno about that. What I've been hearing complaints about is how Asuna likes cooking, how she becomes a wimp whenever Kirito is around and how she's being treated as a trophy for duels.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Compass

Well, the reason Asuna likes cooking was because of that cream incident in Episode 2. If she had never tried that cream, she'd probably still be eating that cardboard bread at this point.

The scene in the LN with Kuradeel prior to the duel is almost identical. Kuradeel technically imposed on Asuna by grabbing her. Letting Kirito duel Kuradeel allowed Kuradeel to be embarassed in public and gave Asuna a real reason to boot him from guard duty.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Destiny_Gundam

Oh you don't have to tell me that. I have no problem with her portrayal. Kuradeel aside, Heathcliff not heeding Asuna's request has nothing to do with her being a woman but everything to do with her being a valued subordinate (and excuse to recruit Kirito).
Compass

You know, now that I look back, that hug is awkward due to the serious amount of time spent showing it on-screen. I'm sure it seemed a lot less apparent in the LN, but I'm pretty sure that was poorly executed. Mostly because Asuna didn't react to ANYTHING during the discussion about the dual blades.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Destiny_Gundam

I actually found that hilarious. I was all "Uh, Asuna, I think you can let go now." :lol:
Compass

6 hours later...

Kirito dies from lack of oxygen. :P
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Iiiiiiiii'm actually on the "Asuna becomes a wimp" side. But not on the whole nonsensical cooking thing. What's wrong with a girl who cooks? I just take issue with her being second-fiddled to Kirito.

I suppose it also has a good deal to do with having seen way too often in anime; female combat characters getting shafted in some way. When Gundam 00 S2 started and people were calling "PSYCHO CHICK" on Louise, I was one of the defenders saying people were jumping the gun.
Then the end of the series began rolling around the corner. And.........yeah. Not pleased. :(

Though in this particular case, having read the novels I know just how shafted Asuna is going to be get in events to come.
Compass

You know, maybe we'll get Mother's Rosario as the OVA. That should redeem Asuna compared to the events of the SAO/ALO arc.
Destiny_Gundam

Well the problem I have with these sorts of arguments is that people are too quick to play the gender card. Being overly courteous to females is another kind of inequality. Ask yourself "Would this bother me if she was a guy?" Since no one is complaining about Klein the answer is obviously "No." Only when gender is removed from the equation will we have true equality.

Of course Asuna will be second fiddle to Kirito. He's the main character and she isn't.
Compass

Butbutbut in Mother's Rosario, Asuna is the main character!
Destiny_Gundam

And what's Kirito up to during that?
Compass

Something he's already done this series. He's literally mentioned or appears in about maybe 15-20% of the story.

Most of the time he's doing this.
Spoiler
Sleeping.

I'm not joking. If I were to place money on an OVA, it would be this LN, because it's probably the strongest novel aside from the ones being covered by the main series, regardless of the fact that Kirito is not the major protagonist. If you google for "Mother's Rosario" you can probably find more info on it.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well the problem I have with these sorts of arguments is that people are too quick to play the gender card. Being overly courteous to females is another kind of inequality. Ask yourself "Would this bother me if she was a guy?" Since no one is complaining about Klein the answer is obviously "No." Only when gender is removed from the equation will we have true equality.
Klein is a support character. Asuna on the other hand is the heroine who is talked about as a strong and capable fighter, until the cards are down and suddenly she's relying on Kirito to put her own subordinate in line.
But it actually wouldn't bother me if she was a guy either, because you rarely see guys getting combat-shafted for "the girlz." And that's probably why nobody cares that Klein didn't get much action. How often do you see the "knight in distress"? You pretty much never do, because it's always the damsel in distress.
Of course Asuna will be second fiddle to Kirito. He's the main character and she isn't.
But she's the heroine and is supposed to be a strong figher herself.
And Byakuya Kuchiki is far from the main character in Bleach, but you don't see him getting sidelined. (and it's only going to get worse for Asuna)

I like this series, both the anime and novels, but if it keeps staying loyal to the novels it's only going to become more clear how Asuna gets treated like your average Girl for a Prize character as far as combat is concerned. :(
Destiny_Gundam

Shinji103 wrote:Asuna on the other hand is the heroine who is talked about as a strong and capable fighter, until the cards are down and suddenly she's relying on Kirito to put her own subordinate in line.
Remember how the incident with Kuradeel actually went: Kuradeel didn't think Kirito was worthy enough to party with Asuna and thus challenged him to prove that. Why would Asuna interfere with that? Kuradeel was testing Kirito so of course Kirito would have to be the one to fight him. If Kuradeel was all "Asuna-sama, it's too dangerous to venture out so come back to town" and then Asuna let Kirito handle it, then it would be an issue since Asuna would be letting Kirito handle her own problem. That was not the case, however, and once Kuradeel started to be a sore loser Asuna did step in and put him in his place.

Asuna never stopped being a strong and capable fighter. We see her taking on MOBs no problem and can even shut Kirito up with a dinner knife. She did take on the boss too, getting some hits in, not losing too much HP, and setting up Kirito's attack. Remember that they hadn't intended to take on the boss and weren't really prepared for it. Kirito just happened to have a powerful skill in reserve that let him barely pull off a victory.
Shinji103 wrote:And Byakuya Kuchiki is far from the main character in Bleach, but you don't see him getting sidelined.
Sure you do, especially when Ichigo is in the same scene.

As for what happens in the future
Spoiler
kinda hard to do anything about some dude keeping your mind trapped in another game where he has GM status. No matter how strong or independant she is there are some things she can't do anything about.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Remember how the incident with Kuradeel actually went: Kuradeel didn't think Kirito was worthy enough to party with Asuna and thus challenged him to prove that. Why would Asuna interfere with that? Kuradeel was testing Kirito so of course Kirito would have to be the one to fight him. If Kuradeel was all "Asuna-sama, it's too dangerous to venture out so come back to town" and then Asuna let Kirito handle it, then it would be an issue since Asuna would be letting Kirito handle her own problem. That was not the case, however, and once Kuradeel started to be a sore loser Asuna did step in and put him in his place.
The problem is Asuna never stepped up to the plate until Kirito did, not to mention how she ran right behind Kirito the moment Kuradeel stepped through the teleporter. That part was definitely overdone. >.>
Asuna never stopped being a strong and capable fighter. We see her taking on MOBs no problem and can even shut Kirito up with a dinner knife. She did take on the boss too, getting some hits in, not losing too much HP, and setting up Kirito's attack. Remember that they hadn't intended to take on the boss and weren't really prepared for it. Kirito just happened to have a powerful skill in reserve that let him barely pull off a victory.
The problem isn't the in-series context. Kirito suddenly has a super corny shounen-style powerup ability that allows him to solo a boss? Nevermind that bosses in MMORPGs aren't supposed to be soloable in the first place (and this series has made a great effort to accurately depict MMORPGs), what was the need for Dual Blades other than to make an over-the-top effort to make Kirito look cool? Why couldn't the plot allow for Asuna to team up with him and duo the boss like they did the floor one boss and in the OP?
Sure you do, especially when Ichigo is in the same scene.
Actually, Byakuya always gets his own enemy to fight and look cool against. The same as Kenpachi, and even Mayuri has gotten to look cool, the sociopathic bastard he is.
As for what happens in the future
Spoiler
kinda hard to do anything about some dude keeping your mind trapped in another game where he has GM status. No matter how strong or independant she is there are some things she can't do anything about.
Again the problem isn't the in-series context. Why is there even
Spoiler
any Asuna-gets-locked-up-in-a-game arc at all? To turn her into the helpless damsel in distress, that's why. It was bad enough in Aquarion EVOL and such, but Asuna has been established as a competent combat character. Then we switch game worlds so she can be GM-ed and locked up as a helpless princess locked in a cage, devolved into yet another damsel in distress character.

The author could have just as easily had Sugou be a sick psycho who wanted to watch his fiancee and her boyfriend struggle in ALO while they try to free the 300 SAO players he "brain-napped." He already enjoyed watching Kirito frustrated when he taunted him in Asuna's hospital room at the beginning of Fairy Dance, so he fits the bill. Instead, Asuna is literally hung up as a trophy to win.

Anyway, as for episode 10..............

OH MY GOD, the last two months of waiting for this part were SO worth it. A tad rushed here and there, and Asuna's speedy entrance was a bit corny (they should have had Kuradeel just suddenly being knocked back into the wall, it would have saved a bit of time and made Asuna's super-speed look cooler :)), they took out a few things from the novels, and they definitely should have made a transition scene for between the misunderstanding and Asuna appearing in bed. (removing the ED and just having the credits playing suring the proposal would have bought them the necessary time) But aside from all that, great episode, and AWESOME for the KiriAsu fans who have been waiting for this moment for two months. :D

...............that endcard.....................

*drool*
Compass

No, I don't want to hear anything about the transition! Assume nothing! None of this
Spoiler
Ethic Code Off
Business! Remember what happened to FSN with that Dragon?! We do not need one D: Either it becomes eerily creepy bordering on satisfying the creepers, or it becomes analogous to (...) and then it becomes better not said =_=

Also... Godfrey looked almost exactly like Rider from Fate Zero.

Kirito's «Embracer» is also SO epic.

It's been a while since we've had a hero that has flaws but doesn't seem detracted because of them.
Destiny_Gundam

Shinji103 wrote:not to mention how she ran right behind Kirito the moment Kuradeel stepped through the teleporter. That part was definitely overdone. >.>
It was cute so what does it matter? :lol:
Shinji103 wrote:Nevermind that bosses in MMORPGs aren't supposed to be soloable in the first place (and this series has made a great effort to accurately depict MMORPGs),
SAO is different from other MMOs, though. Players can actually dodge stuff rather than just wack away at each other by clicking the mouse. So long as the boss doesn't hit you (or doesn't hit you enough) it's easy to solo them.
Shinji103 wrote:Actually, Byakuya always gets his own enemy to fight and look cool against. The same as Kenpachi, and even Mayuri has gotten to look cool, the sociopathic bastard he is.
Right, and it's because Ichigo had to run off and fight a stronger baddy. If Asuna had her own boss to fight while Kirito faced another we could see her take care of it, but so long as Kirito is around he'll always be the one to solve the situation as befits the main protagonist. It has nothing to do with their genders.
Shinji103 wrote:Anyway, as for episode 10..............
So I guess shipping overrides feminism? :lol: I expected more complaining about Kirito saving Asuna again.

But yeah she was in her underwear one scene and completely nude the next. I don't think it needs to be spelled out more. Though I imagine those not familiar with the novels won't think much of it.
Compass

Actually, it was much more heavily implied in the Light Novel. Here, it's left unsaid. Literally, there is a light novel scene right after the first punch where
Spoiler
Kirito asks if it's possible to ... and Asuna explains that it is possible to ...
This is by far the most SFW topic about NSFW topics ever :lol:
Destiny_Gundam

Oh believe me I've read chapter 16.5 and enjoyed it in the way it was inteded to be :lol:

Implied nothing. The author actually wrote the sex scene.
iCards

Just finished the episode and I enjoyed it.

Kirito looks awful in white.

I'm surprised the Duel part of the episode was as short as it was.

chapter 16 portion was handled much better than the original I have to say.

Also, as far as Asuna's character goes she is handled much better than other heroines in a battle series. She has the feel of being a strong fighter that Kirito respects (and fears when she is in Tsunadere mode to keep him in line), but she is still very feminine without turning into the "WHY" character.
Spoiler
To put it in perspective if it wasn't for interacting with Kirito in episode 2 and 5 she would just be a female version of Kirito.

As we should see later even when Asuna is powerless (no game powers at all) she is still a force to be reckoned with.
On the Kirito side of the equation, interacting with Asuna as shown in this episode has manged to ease some trauma and issues Kirito has kept bottled up, such as telling Asuna about the Black Cats Guild.
Shinji103 wrote:
...............that endcard.....................

*drool*
Link or description please, very interested.
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the edit button is your friend.