Sailor Moon Remastered?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Sailor Moon Remastered?

Sailor Moon will be getting a new anime adaption to celebrate the series' 20th anniversary. The new anime, announced yesterday at Roppongi’s Nicofarre, will be releasing in Summer 2013 with Momoiro Clover Z returning to sing the theme song. Though no more details were given, Kodansha editor Fumio Osano has expressed interest in a simultaneous worldwide broadcast for the anime.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... ummer-2013

This may be a suprise to some, but even as a girl, I never really watched Sailor Moon when I was younger. Yes it is true. :) That is mostly because i was a girl with two older brother who made fun of Sailor Moon...and made me watch Gundam Wing and DBZ...sigh...thus the reason why I am on the sausage fest that is this website, just some info about me. ;)

So any thoughts, opinions, excitment about this remastered, new Sailor Moon?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Sailor Moon Remastered?

Sailor Moon was pretty big with all the kids in my family (4 boys and one girl) back in the day. Heck, I even remember the first time I was turned on by an anime girl was when I saw Sailor Jupiter in a bikini on a calendar my sister got one year.

If I were given the chance I would be up to rewatching the original series again for nostalgia's sake. However if a new anime aired, I'd check it out.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Sume Gai

That's ridiculously extreme Duel Gundam. It's not like anyone will force you to watch this. Personally I'm indifferent I didn't ever watch more than bits and pieces growing up and didn't really care for what I saw.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
DuelGundam2099

That's ridiculously extreme Duel Gundam. It's not like anyone will force you to watch this.
It's not the show itself, it's the fans it is going to generate. Sooner or later they're going to take over various sections of the internet and sooner or latter I'll have to deal with these people; it does not help that I am notorious for having an extreme distaste for the magic girl genre as it is. *shrivels*
Destiny_Gundam

You say that as if Sailor Moon doesn't have a huge fanbase already. Heck, just look at the sales of the graphic novels that started getting english releases not too long ago.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Or it might gain some popularity, some people might mention it occasionally, and that will be it. I mean, c'mon DuelGundam, I doubt the internet is going to be FLOODED with Sailor Moon fans...especially here...
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
ShadowCell

or it might generate outraged haters who flood the internet well before the show's release whining and complaining about it and getting on everyone's nerves!

...wait
DuelGundam2099

I mean, c'mon DuelGundam, I doubt the internet is going to be FLOODED with Sailor Moon fans...especially here...
This is the only forum I go to that doesn't have a massive brony following, since SM is an anime, one from early Toonami days no less, there will be fans coming here eventually and when they do I'll get to say "Told you so". It also doesn't help that I was forced to watch the old series against my will as a kid by my neighbor friend, but that's another story.
ShadowCell

yeah, Sailor Moon fans are going to flood a forum called Mecha Talk.

actually i wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of bronies on Mecha Talk, now that i think about it--i mean, i know there's at least one around here--but still, this is stupid. the internet is flooded with Naruto and Inu-Yasha and Hetalia fans too and we don't hear much about those shows on Mecha Talk. get a grip.
Homeless

But Shadow, it's too hard to simply ignore discussions I have no interest in!
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Destiny_Gundam

Seriously DuelGundam, what are you worried about? Mechatalk has always been good at keeping things to one thread. I'm sure this one will still be around when the new anime airs and all discussion of that anime will be here. If people try to start new Sailor Moon threads one of us mods will direct them to this one.

Plus, this is, first and foremost, a mecha board. While we do talk about non-mecha stuff all the time, the core userbase is here for the mecha. There's no way a non-mecha show will suddenly take the board over.
DuelGundam2099

Seriously DuelGundam, what are you worried about?
I'm not so much worried as much as I am "oh great, here we go". Magic girl anime fans are my second least type of fans only after Armor Mothra fans. *shrivels*
There's no way a non-mecha show will suddenly take the board over.
Toho Kingdom once said the same thing about Gwangi and...... Well, you can imagine what happened after that. Although I do believe what you say is true.
Destiny_Gundam

Geeze, you're the one going on about monster of the week shows and yet you hate magic girls? Monster of the weeks are their bread and butter.

Chris would never let a non-mecha show take over. His ban-hammer-fu is too strong.
Turinu

SMAHQ, April 2013. I can see it now. Sailor Moon and Anime Headquarters. That would be an April Fools joke to truly see, Hohoh.

I for one am slightly interested in the remake. The series was alright as a kid (But has since been overshadowed for me by more awesome Magical Girl Animes like Nanoha), so I'll give this one a chance when it does come out.

Always had a thing for Sailor Mars. Then again, I'm a Martian so...
ShadowCell

all i remember of Sailor Moon, to be honest, is that i thought Sailor Neptune was hot when i was thirteen

that was probably some kind of omen or something
Shinigam_Newtype

I only saw a few episodes on the English dub as a child on Television and so I'm somewhat indifferent to this news. Having said that however, I do remember enjoying the few episodes I saw and am tempted to 'acquire' a few episodes of the original for the sake of entertainment.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Khandri

Well...I guess I'm going to be the stereotypical girl here and say I'm looking forward to this. Sailor Moon was one of my gateway anime-where-I-knew-it-was-anime in the mid-'90s alongside Ronin Warriors and Akira and the like (I was exposed to Voltron and such as a kid in the '80s too, but didn't know it was anime at the time), and now having seen all of it in Japanese, I'm still a fan all these years later. Regardless, while Sailor Moon still holds a special place in my heart for that nostalgia as well as for its story, Gundam is still my #1 anime love above all else.

Honestly...complaining isn't going to get anyone anywhere. No one's forcing you to watch it or participate in discussions about it. And I seriously don't think it's going to take over these forums either. It's a popular and enduring title, yes, but for forums that are about mecha shows first and foremost, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'd be more worried if we suddenly saw Gundam Wing become insanely popular again and there'd be an influx of dippy yaoi fangirls, but I think hell would probably freeze over before we'd see that happen.

(And for what it's worth, I'm a My Little Pony fan too, both classic and FIM alike, but I prefer to just watch it rather than discuss it.)

For this new series itself...I'm curious to see what they might do with it in terms of characters, design, and story. Will we be seeing something more along the lines of FMA Brotherhood with a more faithful manga adaptation and less filler, or another DBZ Kai or Seed HD Remaster with older animation cleaned up for a new audience? I'm sincerely hoping for the former myself. With the advances in animation and technology since the '90s, it could end up looking pretty spectacular. I'm also hoping that with the news that there'll be a simultaneous international broadcast (not to mention how successful the manga re-release has been), there might finally be hope for a DVD re-release of the original series here in the US.
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
Vent Noir

Okay, let's get the negative stuff out of the way: Duel, there's no need for threadcrapping. I'm no fan of shonen fighting anime, but you don't see me complaining about it every time it gets brought up here.

Now on to the positive: I'm very much looking forward to this. I'm a huge fan of the magical girl genre. I first saw Sailor Moon on raw Japanese VHS tapes borrowed from Melbourne Anime Society about 20 years ago, before it had been adapted into English. I still regard the first season finale as one of the most emotional things I have ever seen, and those two episodes are probably also the anime I have most rewatched. I'm glad to see the show getting revived.

obMecha: Sailor Moon is probably as influential on the Magical Girl genre as the original Mobile Suit Gundam was on the mecha genre, if not more so.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Destiny_Gundam

Nah, Cutie Honey was the first to have transforming heroines.